Toys & Games

manarak

I visited some Toys R Us stores in Central World BKK and also in Patts, but these stores are neither very large nor do they offer a large choice of games.

So... question: are there any other shops specializing in games and toys for children?

If you want a real adventure, march down to China town and spend the whole day or even more.

You will find every toy known to man at prices you won't find in any store

I can tell you it is a jungle and maze of shopping hel_l, but everything you ever wanted is there somewhere.

It is such a struggle to get there, sweat your nuts off in all those small alleys, carrying things around and find a way home

But that is where everything is 100%

China Town sounds fun!

Maybe I take my son there and tell him we have 3000 baht to spend... and see what he fishes out!

Really, I am not so much concerned about plastic junk - the fun of the kids ranks higher on my list of priorities - so if they have fun with junk, fine! I'll take it!

Plus, it is so much easier to get rid of junk than of "quality" toys.

The problem is that the two TRU stores I visited are full of useless and brainless junk that also is expensive!

China Town sounds fun!

Maybe I take my son there and tell him we have 3000 baht to spend... and see what he fishes out!

Really, I am not so much concerned about plastic junk - the fun of the kids ranks higher on my list of priorities - so if they have fun with junk, fine! I'll take it!

Plus, it is so much easier to get rid of junk than of "quality" toys.

The problem is that the two TRU stores I visited are full of useless and brainless junk that also is expensive!

What Phil was trying to get over to you was that if you wanted SAFE toys, you have few other choices than Toys R Us.

So the fun of your kids ranks higher than their health, their eyesight and the dangers from the Chinese rubbish are just acceptable to you ? If so, I pity your child.

I accept that the choice is limited. I myself was at the one in Bang Na recently and I know the limitations but that is where you have to start thinking out of the box a little. If you have friends coming from Europe or the USA, then there is one supply. Hitting the web such as Bambi in Bangkok http://www.bambiweb.org/classifiedAds.php and their classified section should throw something up. If you join, you can post your own requests. What about that ex sponsor from here who has a website and baby stuff from the UK ? If things are so desperate, then why don't you start a toy exchange for the quality stuff ?

Sorry, but I don't accept that you have to risk your kid on the crap that Thais give to their kids.

Wait a moment...

I exercise my own judgement on what I give my children to play with.

"Quality" toys are NOT SAFE (except maybe for the baby stuff for toddlers).

My children are 5 and 7, and they can also injure themselves with TRU stuff, no problem doing that. They can swallow lego pieces, throw "child safe" plastic darts in the eye (penetrates quite well at full speed when thrown by a 7 y.o.), plus my 7 y.o. is not able to read the clever labels on superman costumes stating that the costume does "not enable the wearer to fly" and similar stuff.

Buy a playmobil pirate ship, and the tip of the mast can kill your child instantly if it falls with the head on it in the wrong angle.

Life is full of dangers, especially for small children - I use my head to avoid them.

So, when looking at chinese rubbish, I evaluate the risk of the toy.

Edited by manarak