Something I’ve Always Wanted To Know

sassienie

In Thailand, most main road signs and city direction signs, plus many shop signs even in the country areas are not only in Thai, but also in English.

WHY?

I realise that English is supposed to be the second language of Thailand, but I would guess that the majority of Thais cannot speak English and even more are unable to read and write English. Being as English is used for road signs all over the country is a mystery to me.

So is there anyone out there that is in the knowledge and can explain why English text is used so widely in Thailand.

post-11344-1258822919_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1258822936_thumb.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happens all over the world, English is the worldwide trading language. Just ask any airline pilot what language they need to use on the radios, it's English, everywhere. I read that some French pilots sometimes stick to French when in their own country, this practice should be outlawed as other pilots can't understand what's going on !

...I realise that English is supposed to be the second language of Thailand, but ...

And below your username are the words "Intelligent Member"?

Seriously, sassienie, what's to question?

Yes, I do realise that internationally English is most used for communication between international communities, and I can understand this is required in the main city areas, but why in Thailand is English text so widely used including the rural areas?

...I realise that English is supposed to be the second language of Thailand, but ... And below your username are the words "Intelligent Member"? Seriously, sassienie, what's to question?
Yes, I do realise that internationally English is most used for communication between international communities, and I can understand this is required in the main city areas, but why in Thailand is English text so widely used including the rural areas?

Uh, I dunno, professor.

Could someone else answer that one, please?

Maybe one of you out there has some insight into sassienie's burning question here...

This happens all over the world, English is the worldwide trading language....
That's a bit of an exaggeration. Not true by a long-shot.
Yeah sure. So which language is?

There are many cultures that trade amongst themselves without the need to use English. It should be pretty obvious to anyone who's had any schooling...

There are many cultures that trade amongst themselves without the need to use English. It should be pretty obvious to anyone who's had any schooling...

Sorry I dropped out at age 10. Obviously we are talking about international trading. There is no doubt whatsoever the standard language for that is English. There is no other language that even comes close. Of course its a big world with many exceptions. An Argentinian trading with a Spaniard would likely use Spanish.

I see the globalization of English everyday here in Pattaya. Observe the German speaking bad English chatting with his new Thai friend, also in bad English. It warms the heart.

Edited by Jingthing

as thai script is used only in one country, it's good that an international language is used as well. Even if in the rural areas there are not many foreigners, but still those signs are encouraging tourists to venture further from the bitten track and explore the whole country.

as to english language reading skills - they are greater than speaking, that's why there are so many shops with english signs

Edited by londonthai

don't forget Thailand is near China and Vietnam.

In Germany, all roads also have US military / NATO signs which regulate traffic, defining on which lanes tanks should drive, etc.

I am sure road signs in english are very helpful to western forces in case of a conflict.

Everyone is referring to it as "English texts" but in reality it is not but rather transliterated Thai. If it were English the sign would say "Khao San Road" not "Thanon Khao San".

I don't know why the road signs also have the names in western script, I'm just happy they do :) .

Sophon

don't forget Thailand is near China and Vietnam. In Germany, all roads also have US military / NATO signs which regulate traffic, defining on which lanes tanks should drive, etc. I am sure road signs in english are very helpful to western forces in case of a conflict.

Nah. They'd rely on GPS...

I see the globalization of English everyday here in Pattaya. Observe the German speaking bad English chatting with his new Thai friend, also in bad English. It warms the heart.

That's right, of course I was referring to international trade.

Once I sat waiting at a border crossing in a place called 'Rafah', the wait was several hours while a convoy built up prior to a long trip across the wastelands of Egypt and onto Cairo. I remember talking to lots of people from different countries all around the world as the hours passed by. They all spoke English with varying degrees of skill. Being a typical lazy Brit of course I only speak English which is all I needed. It is a strange sight to see people from lots of different countries talking to each other in English.

:)

Well you obviously haven't as you're talking complete <deleted>... cultures trading among themselves isn't international now is it.

English is the business language. Anyone with an ounce of grey matter would know that... those folks from Brazil buying stock from China certainly aren't speaking Portuguese/Spanish/French/German/Swahili or, god forbid, Welsh. Stroll on.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, the signs are simply transliterated into the Roman alphabet as it's the most widely used.

Sorry I dropped out at age 10. Obviously we are talking about international trading. There is no doubt whatsoever the standard language for that is English. There is no other language that even comes close. Of course its a big world with many exceptions. An Argentinian trading with a Spaniard would likely use Spanish.

To the English-language chauvinists here: English is definitely NOT the "standard language for international trading" or international language. I might agree if one says bad English or broken English might be the international language.

Edited by TallForeigner

The most common 2nd language is English for now. The next generation might learn Chinese instead. Good luck learning to read that.

It seems logical to say that Chinese will become the next lingua franca, but it will never happen.

That is because the Chinese ideograms are a major stumbling block. Unless you live in the culture that uses them, it is a major undertaking to learn the thousands of characters needed to become literate.

I studied Japanese for several years and while reasonably proficient in the spoken language, I had only managed to memorize about 500 of the Japanese ideograms (Kanji). In order to read a newspaper, you must know approximately 4000+ Kanji!

Not only done so that English speakers can understand. The Roman alphabet is used by the majority of the world, you don't see French or Spanish speakers writing in arabic do you?tongue.gif