Honda Pcx

alexth

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iam going to speak with the. A.P.I , tuning guys... and get back with some info ! . . .sure they can take bike to there shop and dyno and make some different programs for the ECM . .,

Its look like the ECM will cost about 15.000 THB + dyno + settings . .

im sorry, this is utter nonsense.

Any competent rider does not even think about shifting, same as in an automobile. it is a muscle memory thing. Joe tourist who has never ridden a bike has not reasonn to here especially in a high traffic or even a sandy road or island setting.

Secondly, i personally am VERY uncomfortable riding an automatic bike because of the lack of control. Try riding a click down a steep gravel driveway, no engine braking, linked brakes and the whole 9 yards. most unfun.

if you haven't developed the basic competence to shift gears, you should not be riding a bike on thai roads.

I disagree, any bike whether manual or auto has to be mastered. If YOU are Very uncomfortable on an auto then you haven't mastered a different type of transport that has 2 wheels. The PCX is a very civilized bike and if my wee mrs has no problem on hers then l am sure you won't unless you haven't developed the basic competance of eeeer 2 wheels then YOU should not be riding a bike on Thai roads. :)

Its impossible to 'master' the kind of control on an auto, when it keeps freewheeling so you have no engine braking. Its not a skill to be mastered because the auto cannot physically perform that task.

My Pontiac had a racing auto trans, no engine braking what so ever. It was used on the street.

If it cannot be mastered how come l drove it on the street for 20 odd years with no accidents ?. Any vehicle can be mastered, takes practice. Any auto machine just makes more use of the braking system which on the PCX is pretty cool for a scooter.:)

OK, VERY uncomfortable was an overstatement.

Nor did i say it could not be mastered, I said manual offered a greater level of control. I also believe the comparison between driving an ancient Pontiac and a motorbike is spurious at best.

finally, i do not believe that automatic offers the following advantage:

"automatics allow their drivers to focus on how they can avoid colliding with the idiots all around them instead of having to worry about when to shift"

but as mod jr has said, it is off topic.

i do find it worrying that these scoots allow anyone in the kingdom to rent a bike and drive away regardless of experience, especially given the potentially hostile driving conditions.

But really dislike to ride a Wave type centrifugal footoperated clutch bike with 1st UP and the rest down. Even after one year of riding those, I still had to focus on shifting right.

Never ridden that kind of config.. Its all down and all up with neutral at the end of the range ?!?

But any bike, surely once your on it a little bit, you forget all the thinking this is this and the body just reacts ?? I hope from autos (hate em) to manual clutchless geared, to full normal gears 1d 5u.. I really cant say I consciously think about any of them.

Iam going to speak with the. A.P.I , tuning guys... and get back with some info ! . . .sure they can take bike to there shop and dyno and make some different programs for the ECM . .,

An elegant but very expensive offer.

As long as the above (#461) by Richard-BKK described solution is not available,

I believe the "R-box" from Khun "Aling" a cheap and reliably way to modify a PCX.

See also this Topic: Modify "Honda Pcx": Vario + R-Box

An elegant but very expensive offer.

As long as the above (#461) by Richard-BKK described solution is not available,

I believe the "R-box" from Khun "Aling" a cheap and reliably way to modify a PCX.

See also this Topic: Modify "Honda Pcx": Vario + R-Box

The 15 to 20,000 Baht setup is more something for a motorcycle repair or service center, people with a Honda PCX would able to go there and get the tuning they want. The service center will then charge something of 500 Baht (not a confirmed amount).

The manufacturer is also working with the idea to release a software version in which the end-user cannot control everything, but can do some basic tuning and upload new fueling maps. With this setup a end-user would be able to drive to somewhere with his or her fuel-economic fuel-map and connect a netbook computer to the Honda PCX and upload a more powerful fueling map for more high rpm performance, or a fueling-map that give more power in the lower revving range for a more mountain area...

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

Guys..

when u brake in the engine the first 1000km . , what speeds are u going at ? . , ., .,

I did start now 400km at 60km/h . . , will go up to 70km/h now to 450km then after that 80km/h to 1000km...

sounds ok ?

then what full syntethec oils are u guys using ? . . ,, 10w 40 . , was the supported oil in manual book right ?! . , ., hm i have 20w 40 Motul... maybe not good for engine then... it was for my older CBR . . .

Edited by oMega69

I've finally driven the new PCX as my friend Per just bought one yesterday. First off, the colors for the PCX are first rate. Pier's for example is black and it has a chocolate brown colored seat that goes very well with black. No decals or two tone colors on the PCX. Until now all manufacturers including Honda should hang their heads in shame for their cluttered multi colored paint schemes on small motorbikes offered here in Thailand. My Elegance isn't bad only in the sense that it is not as atrocious as most other bikes out there. But compared to the PCX even it is in bad taste.

I like the idea of the 6.2 liter fuel tank as compared to the 4.8 liter tank of my Nouvo Elegance or the paltry 4 liter tank of the Honda Air Blade. Adding considerable more range by offering a 30-50 % larger tank is a huge improvement as I don't enjoy going to gas stations very much and I like the feeling of security that having ample range gives me. The rear view mirrors are terrific on this bike. This alone translates into having greater safety.

I believe the brakes are better on this bike than they are on my Nouvo Elegance. The bike looks and feels substantially heavier than my Nouvo Elegance. The PCX's greater weight works for it in my opinion because once underway the bike feels much more stable than all other small motorbikes I've driven due to this weight increase and the much wider tires. The feel is more similar to that of real motorcycles than it is to smaller motorbikes. The bike has a really good feel to it. Along with the superior mirrors, good brakes, having much greater rubber on the road than other small motorbikes are offering along with this bike's greater weight makes this a much safer bike.

I tried the stop idling feature at a stop light at 3rd Road and North Pattaya Road. Pier had it turned off so I turned it on and sure enough, in three seconds the engine shut down. I then opened the throttle a bit and the engine came alive again, very quietly and smoothly. But since I was not used to the machine and I didn't want to be unable to start its engine in traffic I shut the idling stop feature to the off position of the switch which allowed the engine to keep running until the light changed to green. I do want to emphasize that if the owner leaves this switch in the "on" position that everything is automatically done for you. You come to a light, stop, and three seconds later the engine shuts off without your having to do a thing. Then when the light turns green all you have to do is to twist the throttle open as if the engine were already running (it's not) and the engine starts up quickly and unobtrusively and off you go. This is very slick and no doubt will save gas in city environments such as Bangkok and Pattaya. My only concern is over the long term reliability of this stop idling system.

For me the bike's main disadvantage is its lack of various hooks or a rail on which one can hang plastic grocery bags or strap larger objects on the bike. For example every so often I have to take a desktop computer in for repair to Tuk com and I can easily secure it to my Nouvo seat with bungee cords. And just two days ago I took a three foot long steel rod into a welding shop to have it shortened. This was easy due to the long seat of the Nouvo, the rail behind the seat around which I could wrap a bungee cord and several bungee hookups that are located towards the rear of the bike.

Is it worth 69,000 baht? If I were in the market for a bike right now I'd go out and buy one without thinking twice about it. But I've had my Nouvo Elegance for only a year and nine months now so I'm not ready to trade. And it's still an excellent bike which I view far superior to Honda Waves, Airblades, Mios, Finos and Honda Clicks which I'd never buy so long as I had the Nouvo Elegance for an alternative. It will be very interesting what Yamaha comes up with to compete with the PCX because in the matter of styling and paint alone there's no contest.

• Like 2

Guys..

when u brake in the engine the first 1000km . , what speeds are u going at ? . , ., .,

I did start now 400km at 60km/h . . , will go up to 70km/h now to 450km then after that 80km/h to 1000km...

sounds ok ?

then what full syntethec oils are u guys using ? . . ,, 10w 40 . , was the supported oil in manual book right ?! . , ., hm i have 20w 40 Motul... maybe not good for engine then... it was for my older CBR . . .

Modern engines are made to better tolerances than engines of old so rigorous brake-in procedure is not required. Just ride normally without abusing it or revving the pi** out of it. Change the oil early and replace with normal oil don't use synthetic until the third oil change. or later.

There is a school of thought about high torque cycles for the first little while but that has to be done immediately, so if you have been running the engine or riding it is too late.

The Motul will be fine it is the 40 that is important. The "w" stands for winter. As it is not cold here it is irrelevant. So for practical purposes 20w is the same as 10w. 40 means it is no thinner than 40 at 212F

Surf for "all about motor oil" if you wish.

any news on your tuning system vocalneal?

I will get the update news soon after the A.P.I tuning shop has reply to me !

I will probelly be the first one here for the Chip Tuning "ECM" map moding of fuel/air .,

I will use this Exhaust and Air mod also before the Dyno and ECM maping ------> http://www.mocyc.com/store/view.php?idclassified=383381

-

any news on your tuning system vocalneal?

I have to wait until they send me some samples. I did tell them that 120 kph seems to be the holly grail here. I haven't pressed too hard for a date.

stock tyres are rated at 140 kmh at 20C, so in LOS heat (30-50C roadsurface temp) they should manage 120kmh without blowing up if pressure is correct according to load

since they are tubed, they litterally will BLOW of they are overheated

I need one more PCX, so does anyone know if any Phuket dealer sell white less than 70k baht all included? Phuket well known for higher small bike prices

Edited by katabeachbum

I have a PCX and I'm happy with it.

But why someone would speed over 80/90 Kmph with this scooter? 120 or more? Modify, tuning, chip?

Why don't you buy a Kawasaki Ninjia if you want the speed?

I recall when I was a boy tuning a Vespa with Polini Pinasco Malossi, but I was just a 16 yo boy with no money. Not an overgrown expat farang.

Edited by angiud
  • Like 1

I have a PCX and I'm happy with it.

But why someone would speed over 80/90 Kmph with this scooter? 120 or more? Modify, tuning, chip?

Why don't you buy a Kawasaki Ninjia if you want the speed?

I recall when I was a boy tuning a Vespa with Polini Pinasco Malossi, but I was just a 16 yo boy with no money. Not an overgrown expat farang.

I agree with you. In our home countries, we spend $20,000, $30,000 for a car then pay $1000 a year for insurance. Then we move to Thailand and balk at spending $2000 for a new motorbike. And even a Ninja 250 R even at today's abysmal exchange rates costs only $4300 or so. I think that's pretty cheap entertainment. Incidentally, my pal Pier is now telling me he might just be able to get 300 km per tank on his new PCX. This would be fabulous fuel economy. If he actually gets it this means Honda's doing some real fine tuning to get the PCX to turn in Honda Wave mileage figures out of a much heavier bike that's an auto no less. So I'd keep things as they are. I'd take the 300 kilometer range over more speed any time. I'm thinking Honda has engineered this bike to give the average user what he really needs which is great fuel economy, comfort with excellent stability and enough acceleration and top speed to match the conditions most users are going to encounter.

a kawasaki ninja isnt really a cruiser though is it?

most of us don't care about the higher topspeed anyway as we are hardly ever going faster than 80, but we would like some better acceleration.

In the bike reviews I had been reading out of the U.S. the Kawasaki 250 R was rated as a terrifically fun bike, and a bike that would be an excellent beginner's bike, and an entertaining bike to drive regardless of experience level. I've never driven one or at least not yet. But when I had my BMW R-65 650 a good friend had a Ninja 500 and his bike drove great. I know that little 650 BMW was a great cruiser because I once drove 800 kilometers in one day with a girl on the back.

But I'd say the Ninja 500 would not have been that bad a bike for me cruising around the country even though it was much more sport bike than Cruiser. I"d say the CBR 150 is not a Cruiser. I'd bill it as a "fun bike". But I'd much rather drive it throughout Thailand than a Honda Phantom, 400 c.c. Shadow or other Harley look a like as the handlebars ride too high up in relation to the seat to give me the feeling of control I want.

a kawasaki ninja isnt really a cruiser though is it?

most of us don't care about the higher topspeed anyway as we are hardly ever going faster than 80, but we would like some better acceleration.

In the bike reviews I had been reading out of the U.S. the Kawasaki 250 R was rated as a terrifically fun bike, and a bike that would be an excellent beginner's bike, and an entertaining bike to drive regardless of experience level. I've never driven one or at least not yet. But when I had my BMW R-65 650 a good friend had a Ninja 500 and his bike drove great. I know that little 650 BMW was a great cruiser because I once drove 800 kilometers in one day with a girl on the back.

But I'd say the Ninja 500 would not have been that bad a bike for me cruising around the country even though it was much more sport bike than Cruiser. I"d say the CBR 150 is not a Cruiser. I'd bill it as a "fun bike". But I'd much rather drive it throughout Thailand than a Honda Phantom, 400 c.c. Shadow or other Harley look a like as the handlebars ride too high up in relation to the seat to give me the feeling of control I want.

As far as acceleration, my 135 c.c. Nouvo has a lot of usable acceleration up to 70 kph (you mentioned not wanting to go faster than 80 kph) and I'm sure the CBR will do better. 80 is roughly 50 miles an hour, and if I recall the Ninja 250 R will get up to 60 miles an hour (about 95 kph) in about 7.5 seconds. So it should be quite quick up to 80 kph.

Edited by jackcorbett

• 2 weeks later...

Now i have brake in my engine and can enjoy my fine PCX fully . . ,

I was impressed how fast it was up to 109 ., Iam 77kg . , Really smooth engine . . ,

Any way i did see the RED colour of PCX today at Jomtien Beach . . , " Red Colour is USA specs only"

Maybe he had it re-painted to RED . , i dont see why to Import it from USA when its build here .,

Now i have brake in my engine and can enjoy my fine PCX fully . . ,

I was impressed how fast it was up to 109 ., Iam 77kg . , Really smooth engine . . ,

Any way i did see the RED colour of PCX today at Jomtien Beach . . , " Red Colour is USA specs only"

Maybe he had it re-painted to RED . , i dont see why to Import it from USA when its build here .,

I also saw a very nice looking red one in Pattaya the other day, probably the same one. It had some sort of custom shop badging on it suggesting it was restyled locally.

Guys i am gonna a buy one soon but would like a little more power, still not many people have done anything about power?? do you guys still think the PCX is good?? before you start with, buy a bigger bike, we got a lot off hills where i live that's why

Same.. People wonder why I stick with an old manual, but with Patong hill between me and anywhere and a hill of like 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 to my house.. Autos just dont get me and the missus up them well.

But I did promise the missus she can have a shiny new PCX once our move is completed.

Snowflake. What have you done to it?

When I got the bike I made the dealer take off the "hump"... Not intending to have it on I did not see the need to prolong the pain...

Then I went for the first seat change, a bit more foam and new leather (since the old had two large holes in it).

Then I went back for the second seat change, more foam, build up and more leather...

Then I went back for the third time, showed them that they have to cut off the two raised plastic holes in the seat for the hump... I also got more foam and a new black fabric over my seat...

3 times but my seat is fitted perfectly for my wide butt...

Then I also bought myself some gas shocks, which made a world in difference... going on my normal route is so much better now...

Other than that, just a new Givi (if it is real) box and the little coloured gadgets you can buy and they stick on with super glue...

Ohh... and I change the brown plastic with as much kevlar as possible...

All I need now is to find new black side panels so I can get rid of the brown ones...

I'm now in Singapore where the PCX has recently been introduced in 3 colours and all have black seats and panels.

I'll be looking to replace the lower panels with parts from here.

i have a ninja 636 for the last 4 years, great bike but I am just getting too old. Now I have the PCX for the last few months, took a little getting used to with the size and power difference, but it is easy to get around with and an overall good bike. I will be selling my ninja since I no longer use it. I would like a little more power in the PCX is someone does have a chip replacement.

Just to let you know that there is a PRODUCT RECALL on all PCX's.

NC125DE-0,000,001. to. NC125DE-0024050

It concerns the battery box/holder.

There has been a problem identified with the water drain holes/tube in the battery box.

The battery box drain tube lies directly over the fuel pump and if battery acid leaks and mixes with water draining through the tube there is a possibility that it will drain out onto the fuel pump and corrode the fuel pipe.

All dealers have been notified and if you haven't received your notification take your PCX to your dealer.

The dealer is under instruction to replace the battery box and while the battery box is removed to test for any battery acid present and check for any corrosion then replace the fuel pump if necessary.

Edited by Scuddy