Honda Pcx

alexth

Hi all,

I live in Paris, France where the Honda PCX is announced to be available some time this year, and I'm glad I found a place where people have experienced riding with it - I kinda intend to purchase, maybe, if, perhaps... we'll see

What appeals to me most is the low consumption - compared to other scooters, the weight (light enough to me), and the price. Yes the price ! you will see why.

By reading on this forum, I was surprised not to read a single line on the Honda S-Wing, which is the scooter I'm riding. For those who don't know it, it has the same size than the X-max but a bit more leg room, weights 150 kilos, has a combi braking system AND an ABS on both wheels - which was quite important to me as it was my first experience on a scooter or a bike. I cannot compare it to anything else, it's really the only scooter I've riden, but although it's quite heavy, it is very easy to ride, quite confortable also. It's quite punchy, and has a rather low fuel consumption, a bit less than 3 liters/100 km, or 33 km/l.

In Paris, the "GT scooters" category (the biggest 125s) is quite popular, much more than other motorbikes: the X-max is on top of sales, but also a lot of direct competitors like Suzuki, Peugeot, Piaggio and Chinese manufacturers. This situation is due to the legislation which allows any car driver to ride a bike up to 125 cm3 without taking a licence exam. Oh, I was wrong about the #1 sale, it's actually the Piaggio MP3 400 cm3 - you know, the three wheel machine, which you can also drive without any special licence.

Anyway, this leads us to the price of these machines, from 3500 to 4500 Euros for the S-Wing - sorry, I didn't calculate in Baht. The PCX is said to be a bit cheaper than the S-Wing, and that's also why I'm thinking that this machine could be a good replacement, cheaper and less consumption.

So my question is, oooooh wait, I don't think I have a question actually, I just like to write stuff on scooters. No, for the PCX owners, I'd like to have a few more information your average consumption (and highest, lowest), can a 190 cm person ride it without problem, and is it comfortable for a passenger? I know some of you already gave some of these info, but maybe you have more to say!

Cheers from France, where it is snowing right now.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be aware that the PCX is the only Honda 125 ccm scooter in Europe with less then 14 hp (beside of the wave 125i witch has less then 10). Think Pcx has a little more then 11 hp. All other Honda 125ccm have 14 hp. So Pcx is not so strong and probably market as "Budget scooter" in Europe.

Be aware that the PCX is the only Honda 125 ccm scooter in Europe with less then 14 hp (beside of the wave 125i witch has less then 10). Think Pcx has a little more then 11 hp. All other Honda 125ccm have 14 hp. So Pcx is not so strong and probably market as "Budget scooter" in Europe.

Yeah, not a very powerful engine. For it's size, they should have worked more on the engine. Takes me ages to reach 100km/h

Yeah, not a very powerful engine. For it's size, they should have worked more on the engine. Takes me ages to reach 100km/h

and equally long to stop it.

PCX tyres and brakes are really not made for 100kmh

and equally long to stop it.

PCX tyres and brakes are really not made for 100kmh

Well, found the braking system pretty good, even at 100km/h. I'm sure that by replacing the tires with better ones would help even more. Haven't tried it yet, but I will next month after my rent contract expires and will buy my own.

Well, found the braking system pretty good, even at 100km/h. I'm sure that by replacing the tires with better ones would help even more. Haven't tried it yet, but I will next month after my rent contract expires and will buy my own.

I agree, the brakes for the bike that it is are excellent, it's just that KBB can't get over the fact that his PCX doesn't have ABS :) !

I agree, the brakes for the bike that it is are excellent, it's just that KBB can't get over the fact that his PCX doesn't have ABS :) !

the pcx brakes are on par with competition, except Yammy E 135 brakes better. But none of these scooter have brakes make me feel even close to safe at 100kmh. Riding my Ninja 650R brakes are more efficient from 120 kmh than scooter brakes from 80 kmh. 50% higher speed, shorter stopping distance. Just like my yammy Tmax 500. Safer brakes and tyres. Thats without ABS kicking in. ABS would make PCX approx 30 k more expensive. any takers?

I really cannot believe that 13 <deleted> pages of webspace have been devoted to the pros and cons of piss poor, expensive commuter bikes. Yeah, TIT but for Christ's sake......

Cheers,

Pikey.

People who ride bikes are generally passionate about them, but the same as with women, different things appeal to different people. You should respect that.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I really cannot believe that 13 <deleted> pages of webspace have been devoted to the pros and cons of piss poor, expensive commuter bikes. Yeah, TIT but for Christ's sake......

Cheers,

Pikey.

People who ride bikes are generally passionate about them, but the same as with women, different things appeal to different people. You should respect that.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Congratulations. You got me. Hands up. Bang to rights. No excuses. Now fuc_k off and let me continue to enjoy Chinese New Year and the beer that goes with it! :)

Cocky cun_t.

BTW, I ride a Nuovo 135 ........

Cheers,

Pikey

Edited by Pikey

Cheers,

Pikey.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Congratulations. You got me. Hands up. Bang to rights. No excuses. Now fuc_k off and let me continue to enjoy Chinese New Year and the beer that goes with it! :D

Cocky cun_t.

BTW, I ride a Nuovo 135 ........

Cheers,

Pikey

No surprises there, you're obviously pretty passionate about your 'chicken chaser' :D , the only surprise is the amount of foul-mouthed invective you need to try and get your point across :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my PCX for two weeks now. And I am very happy with it. I have used both Airblade, Nuovo Elegance and Hayate over the last few years. And I have to say that there is no doubt in my mind that the PCX is by far the best bike. Pretty quick up to 80. After that.....forget it. But then again...if I want to drive fast, I have other options.

With my weight and height it is also the first scooter in this class that I can sit comfortably on.

got mine yesterday. Lovely ride, and like 'nana' said it won't go much above 80. But it's not design for speed, rather comfort. The combi-brakes are great. The idle stop killed me though, it actually stalled on me!!!!. Head light is a tad too high, but the mech. can fix it in minutes. But great ride all the same.

I'm 6' 80kg, so this was pretty much the best fit anyway, other than go to much bigger bikes, or the D-trackers.

got mine yesterday. Lovely ride, and like 'nana' said it won't go much above 80.

You probably need to put a few more km's on it, I ran mine in pretty gently for the first 1,000k's and it accelerates all the way to 95-100 where it hits something of a brick wall. Having said that, it'll still creep up to 110 on a longer stretch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, anyone has battery problem with the PCX? mine's 3 weeks old, with 300km on it, and the battery died overnight. With no kick start, it's gonna be hel_l to get it to the shop. :)

Most of my riding is out of town, so very little stop and go. Idle stop shouldn't be a problem right? What about the alarm system, which is rarely used.

hi guys....

i bought my pcx last wednesday, i have so far ridden it more than 500km... it is just brilliant...

i do think that the nouvo is way faster, and sportier, but this bike is built for comfort...

i had to redo the saddle to fit my wide buttocks... 250 from the local bike shop (included tips)...

for comparisons on bikes... i guess i have ridden (tested) almost every model that has been released here in thailand over the last few years... (i test when i am bored)...

the pcx shows how good it is when you drive it, cruise, not speeding..

i love it and i think i might be able to keep this bike for atleast 6 months...

it is comfortable, practical, economical (not to buy), and great for in town...

some things seems to be built alittle weak, but that is ok...

i think the whole alarm thing is a joke...

I don't know if the Nouvo Elegance is faster or not but I've been thinking about horsepower versus torque lately. Had my Elegance on Sukamvit and had to speed up a lot to get way over to the right. Driving two up. This thing just has a lot of usable power. I am reminded of a certain tractor built in the 1960's. It was called the International 856 and it came out with 100 horsepower stock but most of us put turbochargers on them so we'd be running 125 to 130 horsepower. My neighbor, an old salt used to brag on the 856 as having "the engine" (John Deere had "the transmission"). He'd say you could pull two wagons fully loaded with corn from a dead stop along the road in high gear. And you could. He and his son later bought a much bigger tractor with 165 horsepower stock and 486 cubic inches whereas the 856 had only 407. But it was an absolute dog pulling wagons. No one ever understood that old tractor engine and what made it perform so well. That's the feeling I get from my Nouvo Elegance whether justified or not. It seems a lot faster than it probably really is.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

still some PCX owners on this forum? How do you feel about your machine, still happy? What about your fuel consumption, did anybody beat the 2l / 100 km?

news from France: the PCX is said to be available next June...

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for their reviews of the PCX. Your information and views have put the scoot at the top of my list. I wasn't too keen on the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance, although I'd found being a passenger on one quite a comfortable experience.

Owners appear to be happy with its highway manners. But I'd really like to hear anyone's experiences after a lengthy highway trip, of say 100 to 300 klicks. How's the airflow over the front when screaming along at 80-100 km/h? With/without helmet? I'd also like to hear from owners who are in my 185 cm height range.

More pix would be nice too.

cheers

I usually take my pcx out everyday for a long ride to teach.. About 60km one way... Sundays i go out for a jou ride, not going fast then... But you are in luck..

On wednesday i am riding from nst to phuket, around 400km... So i can tell you when i get back the next day... 800km in two days.... Should give you some answers..

Just sad that my new shocks are not here yet...

I usually take my pcx out everyday for a long ride to teach.. About 60km one way... Sundays i go out for a jou ride, not going fast then... But you are in luck..

On wednesday i am riding from nst to phuket, around 400km... So i can tell you when i get back the next day... 800km in two days.... Should give you some answers..

Very cool, snowflake. Looking forward to your report. Safe journey.

120 klicks a day! That's a long day in the heat and traffic. Don't know if I could do that commute. :)

got mine yesterday. Lovely ride, and like 'nana' said it won't go much above 80.

You probably need to put a few more km's on it, I ran mine in pretty gently for the first 1,000k's and it accelerates all the way to 95-100 where it hits something of a brick wall. Having said that, it'll still creep up to 110 on a longer stretch.

I may be wrong, but I think some of these new Hondas have a speed limiter or governor as part of the electronics for the electronic fuel injection. I bought one for my TGF last year. It started and ran flawlessly but it absolutely would not exceed 100kph, and the engine seemed to cut out exactly at 100, even on a downhill. It was downright annoying watching 5 year old bikes leave me behind. Anyone have any first hand info on this??????????????

Poster on here said he was going to test ride one on Sunday but no followup report.

Poster on GT-R says they are on sale in hua hin..

Not seen in the local honda on Phuket.

tryed to get one in Phuket town yesterday, but all they had was an internet picture :) 70k

I see that racks are availible for the bike, my 40 litre topbox would fit a treat.

Very cool, snowflake. Looking forward to your report. Safe journey.

120 klicks a day! That's a long day in the heat and traffic. Don't know if I could do that commute. :)

It's not that long if you like riding bikes... I love it!!!

Unfortunatly I could not go to Phuket. The mate I was going with called in late Monday with severe chest pains, shortness of breath, excessive sweating, and lack of power... We went to the hospital instead of Phuket, sorry but I hope you all understand...

I will try to get the trip back on as soon as possible, hopefully next week...

• 3 weeks later...

OK, So i went a bit crazy last week... i bought all the little coloures panels you can have, a new givi box, new shocks (gas) and i got my black seat....

so today, i got up and went to the local 35b breakfast place, met my mate and we decided to change the normal travel route... we left nakhonsrithammarat, drove the coastal road to songkla, got on a ferry (5 min/11b) and ended up outside bp hotel, from there we drove in to had yai (the old way) and ate lunch at macdonalds... After some light shopping we rode the bikes on the highway back home to nakhon... Total around 400km...

My but feels good and i am very happy with the performance of my bike... I spent around 70b less on petrol than my mates nouvo (3 years old)...

Yes i am 186cm tall and almost as wide as that too... Yes i am a big guy...

Will try to post some pictures of my bike tomorrow...