Should Obese Passengers Be Required To Buy Two Seats On Flights?

LaoPo

Should Obese Passengers Be Required To Buy Two Seats On Flights?

This is a genuine photo, taken by a Flight Attendant of American Airlines which caused the discussion:

post-13995-1260056291_thumb.jpg Obese man on American Airlines Flight click on photo for large image

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/04/o...r_n_379979.html

"Passenger creates big debate at American - I mean big!"

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/unusual-...g-debate-a.html

Q: should an obese passenger -as above- buy two seats or not ? :)

LaoPo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely, or at least they should be required to travel in business class or first class where the seats are bigger. Unlike being tall or having a disability, being fat is usually a choice based on weak character, lack of discipline and poor eating habits. Southwest Airlines, which is essentially the Air Asia of America already has a policy in place requiring lard butts or purchase 2 seats. I think Southwest does give them a refund if the plane is not full. I'm willing to accept and live with the safety hazard they cause, but who wants some fat sweaty pig spilling over into your seating area.

Absolutely, or at least they should be required to travel in business class or first class where the seats are bigger. Unlike being tall or having a disability, being fat is usually a choice based on weak character, lack of discipline and poor eating habits. Southwest Airlines, which is essentially the Air Asia of America already has a policy in place requiring lard butts or purchase 2 seats. I think Southwest does give them a refund if the plane is not full. I'm willing to accept and live with the safety hazard they cause, but who wants some fat sweaty pig spilling over into your seating area.

Any other minorities that you hate?

For sure, 100 percent. I was trapped between two of those huge blobs on the long haul between the US and Japan. I pleaded with the flight attendant to move me. Move me ANYWHERE else. No such luck. The plane was full. That was the most miserable flight I ever had. If the airlines can charge huge penalties for overweight luggage, they can certainly charge a grossly overweight body for two seats.

Edited by Gary A

IMO charging extra for excessively obese people would be very unfair.

If the flight is full (in Economy and business) I think it would be acceptable (albeit a little unfair) to refuse them flight on the grounds of safety and comfort of other passengers.

However, if the flight is not full, I also believe it would be fair to permit them two seats, again on the grounds of safety and comfort of other passengers.

Additionally, if economy is full and business class has spare seats, I would also suggest that it’s fair if a non-obese passenger is upgraded to business class providing the obese passenger with two seats, again on the grounds of safety and comfort of other passengers.

To add to this discussion:

I think stinky people should be prevented from flying.

Nothing worse than sitting next to somebody who is obese on a plane :)

:D

Yes there is...... the seat recliners are worse.

Especially the ones who refuse the meal served, because they want to sleep, and therefore you can't get YOUR meal either...until they are forced to put their seat up so you can get your tray down.

If an obese person should be forced to buy two seats, then the "seat recliners" should be forced to buy two seats...his/hers and the one behind him/her.

Oh and how about the "elbow pokers". I was on a flight to BKK once with an eldely woman. Everytime she feel asleep she jerked about, poking me with her elbows into my ribs. On a 10 hour flight, I managed to get possibly 15 minutes of sleep. The next day my ribs were stll sore from her poking. Obviously she should be made to pay for two seats.

Oh, and then how about the people who spend most of the flight standing in the aisle and talking to their friends with a drink in their hand. Should they pay for a seat where the person they keep awake for the entire flight has to sit?

And then we have to crying infant question....obviously the mother/father should pay extra for all the seats their crying child disturbs.

You see now where I am going, don't you? Where do the limits start and end. If everyone you don't like is banned or requires compensation...where does it end?

(Oh and if I don't like you for some reason, can I ask the airline to make you buy another seat so I won't have to sit next to you.)

But, for the record, the photo above does in fact show a person too obese...and a safety hazard due to the fact he is blocking the aisle...and who should be made to pay for a second seat for that reason. In his case, I agree that the airline could charge for an extra seat just on the safety issue.

:D

Bobr hitting a bit close to home there kurnell? :)

That flight attendant should be fired. I see plenty of empty seats in that photo and the flight attendant should have made that passenger sit somewhere else where he would not have blocked the corridor.

--

Maestro

I am also tired of fat ignorant and smelly passengers. The only way to avoid it is to upgrade yourself. Otherwise take some medication with you...works every time...just slip it in their double vodka while they are too busy belching to notice. :)

Agree about moving people around to ensure the fat person isn't causing inconvenience to others but not about paying for extra seats. If the flight is full then they should be refused boarding for safety issues.

In some countries, fat/obese people are not in the minority anymore. :)

I am also tired of fat ignorant and smelly passengers. The only way to avoid it is to upgrade yourself. Otherwise take some medication with you...works every time...just slip it in their double vodka while they are too busy belching to notice. :)

A lot of people possibly pay for business class because of the types of people they don't want to sit next to....

Maybe airlines need to charge people per kilo for all flight tickets?

Or a max weight limit for passenger + bags together? then charge for any excess weight above this?

The problem for larger people is finding clothes where your going so need to take extra, likewise with shoes.... my weight has remained unchanged since early teens between 120 - 130 kg, likewise my feet size 48 [13 or 14" UK size]

being fat is usually a choice based on weak character

What a load of rubbish... my Grandfather + his 6 children and his Brother and his 6 children were all big, bigger than me + bigger feet, the smallest of my Uncles had size 14 shoes, the smallest of my Aunties was 9" my Mother was 10"..... I was born @ 16lbs my sister 4 years later @ 15lbs + no one had any idea my mother was even pregnant.

As has been said above, cattle class is just that, if you don't like it pay for business.......likewise if people don't fit the seat requirements in economy enforce payment for business where they are wider (or on smaller aircaft 2 seats)......if you can't fit in there......fly cargo :)

Minority?? Not in the US

Why should they?

They are not responsible for their conditions and even even if some were it woul not be fair or else change the rules from everyone or do as some airlines (on smaller planes I admit) do, like it happened to me in Norway: evryone gets on the scale with their bags in hand. This way everything is in order

Furthermore, you may have not noticed, but people tend to be much, much bigger than when the planes were designed and no real change has been really made

You may also talk of very tall people (but this time who cares as the discomfort is only on that person and not on the guy sitting next/front of him/her) as I know of a 15 year old boy reaching 1.90 meters ...6'5 if I am not mistaken (too lazy to check)

We cannot always be responsible for what we are and many factors should be accounted for

And by the the way I am 1.72 m. (5'8 this one I know don't need to check) for 69 kgs (135 pounds) so not preaching for my parish :)

Or a max weight limit for passenger + bags together? then charge for any excess weight abov

This is the only fair answer

I weigh 70kg. Why should I have the same baggage allowance as someone who weighs 90+ kg?

If I fall under the set figure ( passenger plus baggage ), I should get more baggage allowance. Simple logic. And yes, you should be containable in the seat you pay for. No "spillage" into the seat I paid for.

how typical of the "lets have a poke at someone" attitude we have, let us assume everyone tht is overweight is fat, lazy smelly.

not one comment questioning how many seats there are on aircraft. and what was it? why should i pay the same as a fat person?, why should i have so sit close to a person with a self centred attitude? well because every now and then you just do and sometimes you find they aint all bad

That flight attendant should be fired. I see plenty of empty seats in that photo and the flight attendant should have made that passenger sit somewhere else where he would not have blocked the corridor.

--

Maestro

This picture has been making the rounds of the internet for a few weeks now. The issue was investigated. Fortunately, the truth is reported by several newspapers that asked both the airline and the FAA about the photograph.

The passenger was given "a whole row to himself" to comply with safety regulations. Cabin staff cleared out the other PAX from thhe row and seated them elsewhere. Explanation given was that the passenger would obstruct the plane's aisles in the event of an emergency. Please read the link to the NY Post. It was also was discussed intensely on several life & safety forums where the seating change was corroborated.

It seems there is a some friction between flight crews and some ground agents at the airport. Labour issues it seems. :)

There are bigger issues to worry about, like the PAX that pee all over the toilet and floor and then don't even wipe up. :D

IMO charging extra for excessively obese people would be very unfair.

If the flight is full (in Economy and business) I think it would be acceptable (albeit a little unfair) to refuse them flight on the grounds of safety and comfort of other passengers.

However, if the flight is not full, I also believe it would be fair to permit them two seats, again on the grounds of safety and comfort of other passengers.

Additionally, if economy is full and business class has spare seats, I would also suggest that it's fair if a non-obese passenger is upgraded to business class providing the obese passenger with two seats, again on the grounds of safety and comfort of other passengers.

To add to this discussion:

I think stinky people should be prevented from flying.

Yes they should be charged with a loaded arse,/

They should ban drink , I am tierd of people drunk.and stinking of Drink ,