England Squad - The 23

mommysboy

Never in his worst nightmares do i think Milner thought he would draw a comparison to a turd :) It's a harsh world out there :D

i'm not sure how he could compare Milner to a turd, when he has seen neither play football :D .

Also, has anyone ever seen a turd being polished? :D

in london once i saw jeffrey archer getting a shoe shine. does this count?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never in his worst nightmares do i think Milner thought he would draw a comparison to a turd :) It's a harsh world out there :D

i'm not sure how he could compare Milner to a turd, when he has seen neither play football :D .

in london once i saw jeffrey archer getting a shoe shine. does this count?

Good observation and yes it does

Mythbusters Polish Turds.......... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBj6PonX14A

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

England now seem to have some decent left footers. After the last world cup I remember the mantra " square pegs in square holes", ie, a good left footed forward is better than a very good right footer trying to to the job. That seemed to make sense for me, no offence to Mr Gerrard.

Which left footers would be in your squad and which right footers would have to move over?

I'd have Joe Cole on the Left Hand side of Midfield, however he decides to shape the Midfield..

I'd have Barry as a Sub & Ashley Cole at LB..

Apart from those 2 ^ i can't think of any Left Footers that will be going to be honest..

Dont' need Baines as Barry can cover at LB.

Is Adam Johnson Left Footed as i think he may be a dark Horse for the 23 ??

Darren Bent, with 22 goals in the Premier this season, hasn't even warranted a mention in this thread. Imagine how many goals he would have if he'd been an ever present with one of the leading clubs. It's worth remembering he's scored against all the big boys this season.

To see names like Crouch (7 Premier goals) and Owen (? Premier goals) with no mention of Darren Bent is, quite frankly, odd.

I'd have Joe Cole on the Left Hand side of Midfield, however he decides to shape the Midfield..

Apart from those 2 ^ i can't think of any Left Footers that will be going to be honest..

I assume Johnson is, I saw him play for U21s last year in the left midfield position. A balanced squad would surely have at least a few on the flank who don't just use their left foot to stand on: I was thinking 2 left backs plus Downing and Johnson maybe.

Other wise square pegs round holes!

Can't think Capello wouldn't recognise this, we may be in for a surprise or 2.

I assume Johnson is, I saw him play for U21s last year in the left midfield position. A balanced squad would surely have at least a few on the flank who don't just use their left foot to stand on: I was thinking 2 left backs plus Downing and Johnson maybe.

it's not square pegs in round holes though is it? a right-footed left midfielder / attacker cuts inside and creates space out wide for the left-back to overlap into. look at how devastatingly barcelona use it with left-footed messi cutting in to let dani alves get up outside him. football's changed, you don't really win stuff with touchline-hugging old school wingers the same way any more.

it's not square pegs in round holes though is it? a right-footed left midfielder / attacker cuts inside and creates space out wide for the left-back to overlap into. look at how devastatingly barcelona use it with left-footed messi cutting in to let dani alves get up outside him. football's changed, you don't really win stuff with touchline-hugging old school wingers the same way any more.

You mean like John Robertson and Steve Heighway ?

Sure there's a point there too, and Joe Cole used to be particularly effective for England on the left.

But you'd hope your left winger/attacker could make it to the bye line himself and make a cross too, the flanks are so important particularly for England.

I'd say the natural left footer should be plan A. It's about balance really.

So the question in my mind is: are Johnson, Downing, or whoever good enough to justify a place ? After all Heighway or Robertson they are not (yet anyway).

Darren Bent, with 22 goals in the Premier this season, hasn't even warranted a mention in this thread. Imagine how many goals he would have if he'd been an ever present with one of the leading clubs. It's worth remembering he's scored against all the big boys this season.

To see names like Crouch (7 Premier goals) and Owen (? Premier goals) with no mention of Darren Bent is, quite frankly, odd.

Bent needs too many chances to score, and that's at premier league level. Put plainly, he's way below international standard.

Bent needs too many chances to score, and that's at premier league level. Put plainly, he's way below international standard.

I'm inclined to agree with this one. With his record though I can see no harm in giving him a run out in a friendly, after all we know Crouch, Defoe and Rooney will be boarding the plane.

I'm inclined to agree with this one. With his record though I can see no harm in giving him a run out in a friendly, after all we know Crouch, Defoe and Rooney will be boarding the plane.

on current form, why crouch , defoe, and not darren bent, his performances, and goals this season outdo both ?

What & Crouch & Defoe don't ??

Penalties aside, Darren Bent DOES NOT get tremendous service at Sunderland & not even close to the service Big Bird & Arnold out of Different Strokes get at T*ttenham so in that case, i don't think what you say is true at all.

I mentioned bent in a earlier post on here and why not take him,he could be a surpise package as most countries would not know much about him.

And get scholes to come out of retirement he is still the best midfielder bar none in england.

Penalties aside, Darren Bent DOES NOT get tremendous service at Sunderland & not even close to the service Big Bird & Arnold out of Different Strokes get at T*ttenham so in that case, i don't think what you say is true at all.

Big Bird and Arnold!!!! :) I like that one.....but Bent's still <deleted> i'm afraid

Big Bird and Arnold!!!! :) I like that one.....but Bent's still <deleted> i'm afraid

Maybe he is, but answer the question Carmine my Old China please ??

I agree about our two strikers you mentioned, especially Crouch. We'd probably have wrapped up 4th already if it was'nt for the heap of missed chances.

As for Bent, no way. I would choose Bobby Z. He's had a great season and has also done very well in european competition

I agree about our two strikers you mentioned, especially Crouch. We'd probably have wrapped up 4th already if it was'nt for the heap of missed chances.

As for Bent, no way. I would choose Bobby Z. He's had a great season and has also done very well in european competition

Interesting choice carmine but sad to say apart from Rooney the rest of your available strikers must be giving Capello sleepless nights.

4-5-1 anyone? :)

Interesting choice carmine but sad to say apart from Rooney the rest of your available strikers must be giving Capello sleepless nights.

4-5-1 anyone? :)

That is what it's all pointing too in my opinion, the Man Utd & Liverpool system that Rooney is very, very comfortable in when he plays there for Man U..

That same system where Stevie G is argubly his most effective too.

All depends if Lennon's fit, would allow Gerrard to play in that advanced role which might solve the issue of him & Lampard playing in the same Midfield, would in my opinion allow a Player with the vision of Carrick a role in teh Team ( although i'd guess Capello would go for Barry over Carrick ), would allow Lampard to join up nicely aswell when we're attacking..

If played/implemented correctly when in possession of the Ball, the 4-5-1 system is NOT a negative system.

That is what it's all pointing too in my opinion, the Man Utd & Liverpool system that Rooney is very, very comfortable in when he plays there for Man U..

All depends if Lennon's fit, would allow Gerrard to play in that advanced role which might solve the issue of him & Lampard playing in the same Midfield, would in my opinion allow a Player with the vision of Carrick a role in teh Team ( although i'd guess Capello would go for Barry over Carrick ), would allow Lampard to join up nicely aswell when we're attacking..

If played/implemented correctly when in possession of the Ball, the 4-5-1 system is NOT a negative system.

It might be England's best chance in the latter stages however I still think you can play Crouch and use a target man approach in the group games. More imnportant to look after Rooney until the competition hots up later imo.

Just to add Michael Dawson should be on the plane biased as I am he's been fantastic this season. :)

it's the system that every top team in the world today plays a variation of and is far more attacking than 4-4-2 is. 4-2-3-1 turns your fullbacks into auxiliary attackers who get to play in the space outside your two wide players in the 3 who have license to roam. it's a much more progressive system than 4-4-2.

it's the system that every top team in the world today plays a variation of and is far more attacking than 4-4-2 is. 4-2-3-1 turns your fullbacks into auxiliary attackers who get to play in the space outside your two wide players in the 3 who have license to roam. it's a much more progressive system than 4-4-2.

& the Full Backs could be our biggest strength Steve in my opinion, Johnson & Cole both coming fit at the right time so they should be utilised as bets as possible..

& the Full Backs could be our biggest strength Steve in my opinion, Johnson & Cole both coming fit at the right time so they should be utilised as bets as possible..

i think capello's got the balance nearly right in the midfield m, by playing a 2 one of which holds and the other can bomb on and contribute to the attack, but the personnel is wrong. it should be hargreaves and lampard, but he's got barry and lampard. it's nearly right, but barry's not quite enough of a spoiler for a really top team.

there are three reasons why england can't / won't win the world cup:

1. defensive mid not quite good enough against really good teams who know how to find space in tight places

2. crap goalkeepers

3. strikers who don't score goals when a chance appears

quarter-finals at best as ever. unless they get germany in round two in which case out on penoes.

i think capello's got the balance nearly right in the midfield m, by playing a 2 one of which holds and the other can bomb on and contribute to the attack, but the personnel is wrong. it should be hargreaves and lampard, but he's got barry and lampard. it's nearly right, but barry's not quite enough of a spoiler for a really top team.

there are three reasons why england can't / won't win the world cup:

1. defensive mid not quite good enough against really good teams who know how to find space in tight places

2. crap goalkeepers

3. strikers who don't score goals when a chance appears

quarter-finals at best as ever. unless they get germany in round two in which case out on penoes.

But ot be fair to him Stevie he's barely had the chance to pick Hargreaves..

Is he nearing some form of fitnees now anyway or was that my imagination ??

I agree on Barry, i see Barry as a LB nayway to be honest & don't think at the real top level he is a CM anyway.

The Centre back pairing is more worrying than the GK in my opinion cos if you had a decent enough Centre Back Pairing, i think Green is a decent enough shot stopper to have behind them but under the sort of pressure our Pillocks ( especially Upson ) have put him under this Year, no wonder he's spent a lot of time picking the ball out of the net..

Has to be Joe Hart or Green for me & i think Capello will pick............................................................................

...........Green, i think.