"o-a" Visa: 800,000 Baht In Thai Bank Or Investment?

Hi, everyone,

I will be reaching 50 next year and am considering applying for a "O-A" visa. Among the requirements for this type of visa is 800,000 baht. Does anyone know if this amount must be deposited into a Thai bank in a savings/checking account - but will it work if I have investments with the Aberdeen Investments (Thailand) in the amount greater than 800,000?

My question, basically, is does the investment amount of 800,000 or greater count as a proof of the sufficient funds to apply / maintain O-A visa or is it a must to have that amount in the Thai Bank?

Also, once I produce the proof of this amount, do I still need to prove an additional income of 65,000 THB per month?

Thank you for sharing this info with me.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The requirement is either 800,000 Baht in an account or 65,000 Baht per month income, not both. I'll let others comment on the types of account immigration finds acceptable. But, I would not expect them to accept that account.

Also, are you applying for an"O-A" visa in your home country, or would you be applying in Thailand for a one year "Extension of Stay" based on retirement?

Edited by beechguy

If you are applying for the OA in your home country, you need to show the sufficient funds but can be in your own Bank Account, it does not need to be in a Thai account until you apply for an extension.

An AO will require evidence of sufficient funds, medical and police report and (in London UK) had to be notorized before being acceptable by the Embassy.

If it says 'Thai Bank or Investment' I don't see any reason why Aberdeen would not work after just researching them. Their registered office is in Thailand and the funds are administered in Thai Baht.

If it says 'Thai Bank' then I don't think this would work, unless possibly you simply had funds in an Aberdeen Money Market account.

Just my best guess.

For a 12 month extension based on Retirement the money has to be in a Thai Bank. Usually a savings account but fixed income account is usually accepted.

The money has to be readily available. 800,000 Baht OR 65,000 Baht monthly income. OR a combination of both.

As said a Non O-A Visa is applied for in your own country and the money has to be in your home account. Medical and Police Report needed for this.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Non-Immigrant "O" multiple entry 1 year Visa for the over 50s purchased in your home country (UK for £100) needs nothing in the way of funds apart from the purchase price. You send off the completed application form, 2 passport photos, a cheque for the fee, your passport to the Thai consulate (Birmingham, Cardiff or Hull in the UK). You have to do a border run every 90 days for a Visa stamp, but you can make the Visa last 15 months but getting your last stamp the day before the Visa entitlement expires.

Only retirement Visas applied for while in Thailand require funds to be shown.

Police report and medical may be required for a retirement Visa .... up to the immigration office you visit in Thailand. For the retirement Visa you must have the 800kbht in a Thai savings or deposit account. Put it anywhere else and immigration likely to say "NO".

I find the non immigrant "O" much more convenient to get every 15 months as I return to the UK every now and then anyway. Much less paperwork, no need to tie up £16,000 which invested properly can buy me 2 return air tickets each year. (£16k with a return of 6-12% ..... returns about £1000, or £100 if in a Thai bank)

4 people have given clearly wrong information on this post already.

EDIT: Actually the wrong information is from you - the subject is O-A visas. A non immigrant O visa is not a "retirement" or "long stay" visa but only a 90 day entry issued for "other" reasons. You do not obtain retirement visas in Thailand - you extend your stay for retirement and that is what requires financial means. If you obtain a one year OA visa in your home country it also requires financial means.

Edited by lopburi3
correct false information

the money has to be in a Thai Bank

What's the definition of a Thai bank?

Would HSBC at Lumphini qualify?

A bank where

1) the funds are in Bht

2) the bank has a Thai address

3) you have a Thai bank book

4) The manager can write you a letter in Thai for Immigration

Immigration officials just love to say no, the more inventive you are with your money, the more likely you are to be refused.

Best to use a bank just down the road from the immigration office you want to use.

Siam Commercial, Bangkok, Kasikorn, etc.

Edited by pjclark1

I am pretty sure in the US for the O-A you need to show funds (income, banked, or combo), typically in the US funds.

I was under the impression that as a US citizen you can go along to the US consulate and make a sworn statement to an income of 800,000bht without any financial checks at all for a retirement Visa .... has this stopped? It still worked 2 months ago.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Non-Immigrant "O" multiple entry 1 year Visa for the over 50s purchased in your home country (UK for £100) needs nothing in the way of funds apart from the purchase price. You send off the completed application form, 2 passport photos, a cheque for the fee, your passport to the Thai consulate (Birmingham, Cardiff or Hull in the UK). You have to do a border run every 90 days for a Visa stamp, but you can make the Visa last 15 months but getting your last stamp the day before the Visa entitlement expires.

Only retirement Visas applied for while in Thailand require funds to be shown.

Police report and medical may be required for a retirement Visa .... up to the immigration office you visit in Thailand. For the retirement Visa you must have the 800kbht in a Thai savings or deposit account. Put it anywhere else and immigration likely to say "NO".

I find the non immigrant "O" much more convenient to get every 15 months as I return to the UK every now and then anyway. Much less paperwork, no need to tie up £16,000 which invested properly can buy me 2 return air tickets each year.

4 people have given clearly wrong information on this post already.

WRONG WRONG WRONG :)

Actually, we/they just provided the information he asked for. He asked about an "O-A" visa, not a multi-entry "O". But I agree, your method may be a good alternative for many if they don't mind traveling. It seems he may be in Bangkok already though, so it may be more convenient to apply for the "Extension of Stay".

Edited by beechguy

I am pretty sure in the US for the O-A you need to show funds (income, banked, or combo), typically in the US funds.

I was under the impression that as a US citizen you can go along to the US consulate and make a sworn statement to an income of 800,000bht without any financial checks at all for a retirement Visa .... has this stopped? It still worked 2 months ago.

You are talking about retirement extensions in Thailand. I am talking about O-A visas obtained in the US. For the O-A visa you would be in the US for the application. They would not be interested in a letter from the US embassy in Bangkok for that. Please do not confuse the O-A with in country extensions.

The O-A from Washington D.C.:

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Non-Imglong.aspx

- A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht

- In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required

Edited by Jingthing

Knock, Knock, Knock...... Hello pjclark1..... :)

The OP is asking about O-A Visa not O Visa...

The internet sites don't show the current rules for the over 50s visa.

It might be an O-A in the states

It is an O in the UK

The newest rules don't require, medical, police or funds.

For some reason Thai consulates web sites don't show current rules.

They are the same rules for all western countries.

But have it your way if you want.

You are still confused. Yes you can get an O visa from the UK. You can also get an O-A visa. The requirements for the O-A visa for Brits is the same as for Americans or any country where you can get an O-A. Yes you need a medical form, police report, and must show the retirement qualifying funds in your home country to get an O-A visa.

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/newversion...retirement.html

If you choose to enter on an O, not an O-A, you can still get retirement extensions in Thailand. Doing it that way, you show the funds/embassy letter/combo IN Thailand do not need a medical form or police report.

The O-A visa is an OPTION. It is not required to retire in Thailand. The pros and cons of the O-A versus starting with an O have been covered exhaustively over the years on this board.

Cleared up now?

Edited by Jingthing

In the UK retirement visas (Non O-A) can only be issued by the Royal Thai Embassy in London and not the honorary conulates. And a police report and medical certificate are required as part of the application papers. This is covered on the embassy's website (see link in Jingthing's post above).

A police report and medical certificate are not required if applying for extension of stay at Thai immigration.

Knock, Knock, Knock...... Hello pjclark1..... :)

The OP is asking about O-A Visa not O Visa...

The internet sites don't show the current rules for the over 50s visa.

It might be an O-A in the states

It is an O in the UK

The newest rules don't require, medical, police or funds.

For some reason Thai consulates web sites don't show current rules.

They are the same rules for all western countries.

But have it your way if you want.

Sorry mate you are mixing uo the Non O and the Non OA. I applied for and got an OA last year.

The Non O as stated is applied for for 'other reasons, visiting family friends etc. and will have a 90 day stamp on arrival., border runs will be required every 90days. As you say can be applied for by post to Hull cardiff Birmingham etc. and can be extended to 15mths if a border run is done just before expiry.

The OA is a year visa for retirement, funds, police report and medical is required and all paperwork must be notarized prior to acceptance by the Thai Embassy

(I can only speak for the UK).

Can only be applied for at the Thai Embassy London and must be in Person.

No border runs are neccesary 90 day reports to Immigration are. Can be extended by a further year by a border run just before the expiry this will give you a further 12 mths before having to show funds in a Thai Bank (on annual extensions) however a re-entry permit will be requied should you wish to leave the country for any reason and return.

Edited by Tafia

A border run just before the expiry will give you a further 12 mths before having to show funds again (on annual extensions) however a re-entry permit will be requied should you wish to leave the country for any reason and return.

You will only get a second period of 12 months if you applied for a multiple entry Non O-A visa and do a border run just before the visa expires. And yes, you will need a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay alive should you decide to travel abroad in Year 2.

Yes Correct!! Sorry thaiphoon I ommitted that bit (a Multry Entry cost £100)

and as Jingthing rightly says it comes down to a personal choice of what is best for you!

Edited by thaiphoon
No need to quote post above. Use Fast Reply - thaiphoon

Please point me to the post discussing pro/con between o and o-a visa

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong... This thread was never about pros and cons between Non-O and Non-OA Visa. The OP was asking about the 800K baht requirement in order to satisfy his Non-OA Visa application.

Which were answered by 4 users - then came you :D who quickly dismissed their (mostly) correct replies :D !!!!!!!!! So please it's okay to say "Sorry I was wrong" :) when you are indeed wrong!!!

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong... This thread was never about pros and cons between Non-O and Non-OA Visa. The OP was asking about the 800K baht requirement in order to satisfy his Non-OA Visa application.

Actually, sounded like he wanted to know how to extend a Non Imm O in Thailand, based on retirement -- and not the financials involved with getting a Non Imm O-A visa outside Thailand. He specifically was looking at allowed flavors in Thai banks that Immigration would accept toward his retirement quest.

The OP got caught-up on the loose definitions defining how retirement eligibles can stay in Thailand in one-year increments. Just a look at the title shows his confusion: "O-A visa" and "800k in a Thai bank" are mutually exclusive.

In fairness, he's one of many who got tripped up by confusing getting a one-year extension based on retirement with getting an O-A visa within Thailand -- which is not possible, regardless of what the Hull and MFA websites say to the contrary.

An updated "pinned" definition article might prevent such frequent circle jerks.

You are still confused. Yes you can get an O visa from the UK. You can also get an O-A visa. The requirements for the O-A visa for Brits is the same as for Americans or any country where you can get an O-A. Yes you need a medical form, police report, and must show the retirement qualifying funds in your home country to get an O-A visa.

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/newversion...retirement.html

If you choose to enter on an O, not an O-A, you can still get retirement extensions in Thailand. Doing it that way, you show the funds/embassy letter/combo IN Thailand do not need a medical form or police report.

The O-A visa is an OPTION. It is not required to retire in Thailand. The pros and cons of the O-A versus starting with an O have been covered exhaustively over the years on this board.

Cleared up now?

Jingthing, Can you remember where some threads are detailing: "The pros and cons of the O-A versus starting with an O have been covered exhaustively over the years on this board", please. I've tried the search which always defies me. This thread has been most interesting [& entertaining] as I have been trawling the forum recently, looking for just this kind of comparison. I shall also be looking on the Thai Embassy website, too, but they are not so good.

Another point: is it Bt65K/Bt800K for USA and Bt40K/Bt400K for UK?