Getting A Book Copied 2.

Spalpeen

Copyright on publications typically expires 50 to 100 years after the death of the author, subject to various conditions. Copyright on publications by public or corporate bodies typically expires after a shorter period. It is entirely possible that the originator of the previous thread was intending to copy a book which was no longer subject to copyright, for instance an old book which is no longer in print.

Anyway, I'm sure copyright infringement is something that never happens in Pattaya. (Dammit, computer froze up again, what's wrong with this copy of Windows XP?)

Here's a more in depth explanation on when a book becomes part of the public domain and thereby freely available for copying:

(This has been copied :) from http://efuse.com/Plan/copyright2.html )

"When copyright protection does not apply

The following are situations and examples of works that you may copy and use in your own work:

Creations in the public domain. Work in the public domain isn't protected by copyright. Anyone who wants to use it may do so freely, without asking for permission or paying a license fee. And the world is full of public-domain material. But sometimes it's not so easy to figure out what is in the public domain. Most public-domain material got there because it's old. There's just this teensy complication that you must comprehend when you're trying to decide whether a given work is in the public domain: Two different copyright acts apply! No problem! This IS the law you know!

The first, usually called the 1909 Act, covers material created before Jan. 1, 1978. That's when the second, called the 1976 Act (because that's when it was enacted), took over. Follow? Plug that snorkel firmly in and let's step out even further.

Situation One:

Under the 1909 Act, a creator could obtain copyright protection for 28 years after publication and could then renew the copyright for a second 28-year term. So, if the second term expired before the 1976 Act took effect, the work is in the public domain. That means anything published first in this country before Jan. 1, 1922, is in the public domain.

Situation Two:

For works that were created under the 1909 Act and that were in their first or second 28-year term of copyright on Jan. 1, 1978, the 1976 Act extends the copyright to a maximum total of 75 years from publication. So if you know a work was published more than 75 years ago, you can pretty well be sure that it's public-domain material.

Situation Three:

For work created on or after Jan. 1, 1978, the duration of the copyright is the life of the author plus 50 years (or 75 years for anonymous, pseudonymous, or work-made-for-hire works). It'll be a while before anything created recently will fall into the public domain because of an expired copyright."

There is a lot of detailed information about copyright issues on the website I provided above.

thanks a lot tropo, this answers the question what to copy and what not in detail.

Since there is nothing more to add I close the topic. If new facts emerge, please PM me for re-opening.

merry Christmas to all of you

raro :)

...and just some minutes later I get a PM asking me o reopen it as tropo cites American law only, but in Thailnad all could be different.

I am not a lawyer myself, so we let this topic run - would be great to find out what we can legally copy and what not.

post away! :)

...and just some minutes later I get a PM asking me o reopen it as tropo cites American law only, but in Thailnad all could be different.

I am not a lawyer myself, so we let this topic run - would be great to find out what we can legally copy and what not.

post away! :)

Yes, he brings up a good point, but I don't think it would be much different than it is with computer software etc. Most copyrights are protected by international law and treaties.

Original post title was WHERE to get a book copied. I know somewhere here they di it as my landlord has had it done. Can't help as to where but this may help to get the actual question answered instead of copyright discussions and theories.

Original post title was WHERE to get a book copied. I know somewhere here they di it as my landlord has had it done. Can't help as to where but this may help to get the actual question answered instead of copyright discussions and theories.

That question was already answered in the first thread. In this thread we had an interest in learning more about the legal in and outs of copying books by opening it up to discussion.

i am the original poster of the first thread

i would still like to have a book copied in pattaya and don't want to do it myself by hand

please don't assume the book is copyright protected or that i don't have permission to copy it

it's a book, period, that's all i said

assume it's a handwritten blank book type diary

not copyright protected and i have permission to copy it

i am hoping its ok to ask where without closing the thread

anyone know a place please?

thanks all

happy holidays

i would still like to have a book copied in pattaya and don't want to do it myself by hand

please don't assume the book is copyright protected or that i don't have permission to copy it

thanks all

happy holidays

According to Tropo it was answered "in the first thread" . Maybe he is speaking about some other thread and not this one where you have asked "where?". My landlord has had a book copied and I will contact him and put the info here when I get it. Might take a while though... :)

thanks all

happy holidays

According to Tropo it was answered "in the first thread" . Maybe he is speaking about some other thread and not this one where you have asked "where?". My landlord has had a book copied and I will contact him and put the info here when I get it. Might take a while though... :)

if my memory serves me correctly, places were mentioned where one could get cheap copies

any place where you can hand the book over and pay someone to do it?

perhaps even bind it together somehow