Ellis Pizza & Pasta

flip

The Tandoori is good, but don't expect to get out of there for less than 800 baht for 2 people if you have a beer or two and eat Thai style with dishes shared between the two of you.

I find that quite reasonable.

Indian cooking isn't like thai cooking just throw everything into a wok with a lot of msg, salt,fish sauce and sugar.

I make about 100 curries a week I know.

First you have to make your base sauce.Which can take up to 3 hours.

Then marinade the chicken overnight for Tikka

Pre cook your chicken and meat for other dishes.

Then you have the cost of shipping all of your spices from Bangkok.

Then you finally make your preferred curry.

Oh and chicken has risen by 25 bht a kilo in the last few weeks and onions have doubled in price.

The two main ingredients of the curry

I do not have anything to do with the said restaurant.They are my competition in a way but I still started the thread about them a few months ago as I find their food good.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very interesting Topic which I am following avidly. However I would like to remind you all that the original topic was about Ellis Pizzas. If you all want to discuss Indian food then start a new topic, Thank You.

Oh Yea! Forgot about them.Sorry.

Not really into Italian food.I like it but find it overpriced for what it is.Pasta,tomatoes and cheese.

"Then you have the cost of shipping all of your spices from Bangkok."

Please excuse me for continuing the digression into Indian food, but I would be interested to know why anyone would need to ship stuff from anywhere at all when all the ingredients are widely available here.

Indeed, many of them are growing in your garden if you know where to look.

"Then you have the cost of shipping all of your spices from Bangkok."

Please excuse me for continuing the digression into Indian food, but I would be interested to know why anyone would need to ship stuff from anywhere at all when all the ingredients are widely available here.

Indeed, many of them are growing in your garden if you know where to look.

So you grow Fenugreek,Cardamon,Cumin,Asafoetida in your garden then.If so i will buy it from you .Obviously you know very little about Indian spices.

I have never been to Ellis but based on the good reviews & directions I told some friends who are regular visitors to Phuket & love good Italian food. They found it Ok but almost did not go in as it did not look very inviting. However they did venture inside & consider it to be the best Italian in Phuket. Italian is not my number one but I will definitely try this place.

Cdmtdm you stated in one of your posts that Ellis would be good just for takeaway as the atmosphere is not all that great, but I was there the other night with my wife and son and we enjoyed it very much and there was no problem with atmospshere or that there were only 4-5 tables. Maybe your a bit used to high class places??

Cdmtdm you stated in one of your posts that Ellis would be good just for takeaway as the atmosphere is not all that great, but I was there the other night with my wife and son and we enjoyed it very much and there was no problem with atmospshere or that there were only 4-5 tables. Maybe your a bit used to high class places??

I had a look a couple of nights ago. I was a bit surprised to see it was the back yard of a townhouse, in a dead end residential street. The waitresses were welcoming enough, but we decided to go back down to Rawai front to eat.

The atmosphere is this, sitting in a carport of a house in an older housing development of semi detached houses. Everyone has their opinion on whether this is good or bad, but it is what it is. The food that I have tried is definitely good tasting and good value, but I must admit I did takeaway after sitting at the tables while waiting on the food.

I had a look a couple of nights ago. I was a bit surprised to see it was the back yard of a townhouse, in a dead end residential street. The waitresses were welcoming enough, but we decided to go back down to Rawai front to eat.

Agree with you...the place is not exactly what we expect...but, as I am italian, I can say that they probably have the best fish soup (italian style of course) of Phuket (pla kapon, mussels, clams, crabs, shrimp in tomato sauce with bread all around) at amazing 240 baht!! In other "good looking" restaurant for this price (or equivalent) you just have mussels (two days ago in "La Celtique") in their own water (no tomatoes at all)...

The "lasagna" at 150 baht is a ridicolous price if you confront with the 180 baht for a simple "spaghetti al pomodoro" you get in other "good looking italian restaurant.......

At the end of the matters...I think we go to a restaurant (or similar) for good food..or you go to restaurant for "good looking"?????

Agree with you...the place is not exactly what we expect...but, as I am italian, I can say that they probably have the best fish soup (italian style of course) of Phuket (pla kapon, mussels, clams, crabs, shrimp in tomato sauce with bread all around) at amazing 240 baht!! In other "good looking" restaurant for this price (or equivalent) you just have mussels (two days ago in "La Celtique") in their own water (no tomatoes at all)...

The "lasagna" at 150 baht is a ridicolous price if you confront with the 180 baht for a simple "spaghetti al pomodoro" you get in other "good looking italian restaurant.......

At the end of the matters...I think we go to a restaurant (or similar) for good food..or you go to restaurant for "good looking"?????

I go to a restaurant for a nice evening, and that includes of course good food, but also nice atmosphere, friendly waiters, good service, etc.

I will give them a go shortly, probably take away.

Sorry Darryl Kerrigan , i eat in all sorts of places but never in a carport ..... if thats what you call good atmosphere good luck to you ......

the prices are cheap because of the setting!!! , they are lucky the food is ok otherwise they would be bust already , but in the end the customers will decide the fate of this place ...... i go to a place for good food , good setting and good service thats what you pay for , comparing Ellis with Le Celtique is a joke .......

the prices are cheap because of the setting!!! , they are lucky the food is ok otherwise they would be bust already , but in the end the customers will decide the fate of this place ...... i go to a place for good food , good setting and good service thats what you pay for , comparing Ellis with Le Celtique is a joke .......

I dont mind paying 70 baht more for a good meal in nice setting :)

I dont mind paying 70 baht more for a good meal in nice setting :)

Sure, I first agree with you...but, very often, you have 70 baht (a dish) more for a bad meal in nice setting.....

If I have to choise I prefer a "very good meal in poor setting" instead of "very bad meal in nice setting"....and, in Phuket, it is very easy to have "very bad meal in nice setting".

Sure, I first agree with you...but, very often, you have 70 baht (a dish) more for a bad meal in nice setting.....

If I have to choise I prefer a "very good meal in poor setting" instead of "very bad meal in nice setting"....and, in Phuket, it is very easy to have "very bad meal in nice setting".

agree, actually agree so much I dont anymore try out restaurants new to me in Phuket without someone recomending it. There are lots of bad meals in nice settings here, and often way to expensive.

what I meant is that pizza at 220 baht at M&M is worth the 70 baht over Ellis 150baht, just for the setting. And lasagne I dont bother to go out for, as its just as good homecooked at a fraction of the Ellis price. ok lasagne tonight :)

So you grow Fenugreek,Cardamon,Cumin,Asafoetida in your garden then.If so i will buy it from you .Obviously you know very little about Indian spices.

This reply is for starkey rich and so I apologise, once again, for going off topic.

I think it might be wise, starkey rich, on an anonymous forum such as this, not to make assumptions about people whom you have not met, and about whom you know nothing.

Food, more specifically Asian food, has been my life and my living for the past 40 years so I think I know something about the subject.

However, to answer your points:

We grow ginger, mint, coriander and curry leaves and, of course, lots of fresh chillies.

Cumin seeds are easily available here. Even Tops sells them and the fresh leaves from the plant are available in the market most days.

Fenugreek grows perfectly well here. I have grown it in my garden, but I don't particularly like the pungent, lingering smell and neither does my Thai wife!

Asafoetida is only used in minute quantities, so a small packet would last a very long time. Cardamon seeds are also available, although, admittedly not the same as the Indian small green ones.

It was the idea that you have to ship this stuff down from Bangkok, and that somehow this constituted a major expense, that I was questioning.

The most important ingredients for Indian food namely, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, fresh chillies, fresh coriander, onions, garlic, ginger are not only widely available they are, naturally, of the highest quality. I buy most of my dry spices from an old shop in Phuket Town where they are both cheap and wonderfully fresh.

So, as far as I can see, the only two items you would need to “ship down from Bangkok,” would be asafoetida, and good quality green cardamoms.

Actually, I have a problem obtaining large, black mustard seeds. So if you know where to get them let me know and, maybe for once, we farangs could be mutually supportive instead of constantly trying to score points off each other.

Tabasco on an italian pizza?

On any pizza. Yum!

Tabasco on italian pizza :D .. :) ....why, in God's name, you eat italian?? Italian food is the world's favourite for the semplicity and the quality of ingredients (of course the GOOD italian food...not the fake copies you can find everywhere).

Also people can find the olive oil with pepper inside ONLY in "pizzeria" and you use ONLY in some kind of pizza (sure not on Margherita pizza or Buffalo mozzarella pizza)..the normal and good italian restaurant have ExtraVergine olive oil without addiction. A good ExtraVergin italian olive oil cost (in Italy) from 8/9 euros up...why destroy it (and the food) with pepper???????

In Phuket you can find from 400/500 baht but it is a really "average" ExtraVergin olive oil like "Bertolli", "Carapelli", "Agnesi" ecc ecc

Also, I always smile when I see the "aceto balsamico from Modena" or the "Balsamic Vinegar" from Spain :D:D ...the real authentic "Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale" is far far away. Minimum age is 12 years old (white cap) or 25 years old (gold cap). The cost of 100cc of 25 years old start from 70 euros..so 1 liter start from 700 euros..I don't think a single restaurant in Phuket have the 25 y.o. (may be in 5 star resort,,,and, if they have, they sure put only a very few drops on the dish).

http://www.balsamico.it/

Edited by greenwater

As I've said before, I'm uncouth.

But, the main reason is, is that I like it. It tastes better. I don't care how it is "supposed" to be eaten.

I see....so, I suggest you to drop some tabasco on a classic Chianti wine glass.....I suspect you will be delighted.......

Now you're being silly........though a bit of marmalade smeared on sausages is surprisingly good.