Samui, How Busy At The Moment?

VTR1000

This week resorts are full, the bar not for rent have more clients and restaurant are sometimes crowded.

Nothing like two years ago when it was not possible to have a table on practically all restaurant in center lamai.

next week everything will be back to normal, that is semi-dead... :)

every Bangkok air flight leaving Samui is full, the ones coming are empty....

it seems that the peak season is now the peak week.

Edited by kosh

This week resorts are full, the bar not for rent have more clients and restaurant are sometimes crowded.

Nothing like two years ago when it was not possible to have a table on practically all restaurant in center lamai.

next week everything will be back to normal, that is semi-dead... :)

every Bangkok air flight leaving Samui is full, the ones coming are empty....

it seems that the peak season is now the peak week.

January, February and Match is the high season. Has been for years. It's mainly families who are booked to leave Samui. A lot of visitors are here for at least 3 -4 weeks.

Almost impossible to rent a scooter.

Had eight inquires before lunch today.

Sorry, all rented out.

Yesss, same in Lamai beach road. 10 days ago every shop full of bikes, this week zero.

I'm curious to see next week, the number of renting shops is clearly exagerated compared to the request.

Like airplane, you cannot have all the plane sellable the 25 december and keep them parked the rest of the year...

I'm wondering how many renting days a year pays back a Click.. :)

At least the big offer on every sector in Samui is keeping the price stable, no more 15% price increase every december....

It is interesting to see the feeding frenzy in Lamai and elsewhere now. With so many months of sucking wind, the huge influx has everyone scrambling to squeeze all the baht out of the tourists in any way they can. The lady Thai boxing, which is every Saturday, will have had something going on three times this week (including tonight). The prices of some items in the Lamai wet market have been pushed up (mangoes were already inflated at 70 baht/kg; now they are 90 baht/kg.), and people are staying open later than usual, to name of few examples.

You can't blame them really. Lamai is really a sleepy, wannabe "player" in the Phuket/Krabi/Pattaya nexus. There is only one season now and this is it. The rest of the time -- after mid February -- things will go back to being very quiet indeed (okay, there is the August Italian month, but that's a pale imitation of what it once was).

To those of you wishing to get out from under that bar you bought because it's a loser, this is the time to flog the virtues of owning one. I have spoken to a number of people who have no idea that Lamai isn't as busy as it is now for most of the year. It should be easy to convince people that having another bar or massage parlor is a stupendous idea.

It is interesting to see the feeding frenzy in Lamai and elsewhere now. With so many months of sucking wind, the huge influx has everyone scrambling to squeeze all the baht out of the tourists in any way they can. The lady Thai boxing, which is every Saturday, will have had something going on three times this week (including tonight). The prices of some items in the Lamai wet market have been pushed up (mangoes were already inflated at 70 baht/kg; now they are 90 baht/kg.), and people are staying open later than usual, to name of few examples.

You can't blame them really. Lamai is really a sleepy, wannabe "player" in the Phuket/Krabi/Pattaya nexus. There is only one season now and this is it. The rest of the time -- after mid February -- things will go back to being very quiet indeed (okay, there is the August Italian month, but that's a pale imitation of what it once was).

To those of you wishing to get out from under that bar you bought because it's a loser, this is the time to flog the virtues of owning one. I have spoken to a number of people who have no idea that Lamai isn't as busy as it is now for most of the year. It should be easy to convince people that having another bar or massage parlor is a stupendous idea.

"There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase often credited to P.T. Barnum (1810 – 1891), an American showman. It is generally taken to mean that there are (and always will be) a lot of gullible people in the world.

Sorry, all rented out.

Yesss, same in Lamai beach road. 10 days ago every shop full of bikes, this week zero.

I'm curious to see next week, the number of renting shops is clearly exagerated compared to the request.

According to the rent-a-bike-meter © in Lamai beach peak season is just 1 week, this morning any shops have a good selection of bike to rent.

Of course the excessive number of shops hoping to get back what they payed for the new bike could be the cause of the 1 week peak season. Same for too many restaurants, resorts, roads, buildings...too many of everything, Samui need to stop for say 5 years ... :)

Just 2 years ago it was impossible to find a table on end of year on any restaurant in central Beach road, this year before 7pm all nearly empty...

Edited by kosh

Sorry, all rented out.

According to the rent-a-bike-meter © in Lamai beach peak season is just 1 week, this morning any shops have a good selection of bike to rent.

Of course the excessive number of shops hoping to get back what they payed for the new bike could be the cause of the 1 week peak season. Same for too many restaurants, resorts, roads, buildings...too many of everything, Samui need to stop for say 5 years ... :)

Just 2 years ago it was impossible to find a table on end of year on any restaurant in central Beach road, this year before 7pm all nearly empty...

Still no bikes to rent out.

Only two customers turned down today.

Sorry, all rented out.

Don't worry, you'll have them all back very soon. :D

Sorry, all rented out.

My rent-a-bike-meter © needs calibration, :D i tested it in the morning, late afternoon bikes gone.

So it is safe to say that next monday peak season will end, but for now it is still on, even if yesterday restaurants at 7pm were nearly empty. In particular the two swedish ones, it seems no swedish tourists and more east europeans, the one sthat order only expensive prawns and when the bill came the discussion start... :D

Edited by kosh

Hmmm - well those COMING for Xmas and the NY have already been and gone but the flights are still at peak rates. It always takes 2 weeks until the end of January for things to start up again and then it's busy busy busy till Songkran.

Having said that, Mae Nam is heaving at the moment with all the budget beach bungalows full. There was even a standing queue to get into The Twins Restaurant the other night.

Working in the Resort-Related industry, my gleanings are that the 3 and 4 star resorts have been suffering. The top 5-star ones are busy with those folks who have the coin and the budget ones busy with those that don't!

Rob

Hmmm - well those COMING for Xmas and the NY have already been and gone but the flights are still at peak rates. It always takes 2 weeks until the end of January for things to start up again and then it's busy busy busy till Songkran.

Having said that, Mae Nam is heaving at the moment with all the budget beach bungalows full. There was even a standing queue to get into The Twins Restaurant the other night.

Working in the Resort-Related industry, my gleanings are that the 3 and 4 star resorts have been suffering. The top 5-star ones are busy with those folks who have the coin and the budget ones busy with those that don't!

Rob

No queue for Lamai restaurants....the island is not Lamai and Chaweng anymore.

And indeed top and bottom resorts are doing fine, the middle have problems.....

Looking at the cost of flights from europe maybe the low end will have problems later....

To Robsamui

3 & 4 star resorts have been suffering, I guess that would be true for those hotels that don't have any business plans, marketing, poor locations. I work in this industry also and i do know a few hotels in this range that are 90% full. This hotels though have marketing, good contacts and relationships with agencies, know how to promote their hotel to and have returning guests.

Actually - yes, that's quite true. I recall last year that, frinstance, the new Nora Chaweng opened in October and was fully booked at Christmas, due to Nora Group's Tour operator contacts in Europe. The other extreme, the top-end Samui Buri in Mae Nam, did no business at all for a year and even laid off its staff and closed the restaurant - before being rescued by Mercure management.

R

To Robsamui

3 & 4 star resorts have been suffering, I guess that would be true for those hotels that don't have any business plans, marketing, poor locations. I work in this industry also and i do know a few hotels in this range that are 90% full. This hotels though have marketing, good contacts and relationships with agencies, know how to promote their hotel to and have returning guests.

Been very busy here in Lamai, I have been full for over a month (42 bungalows) and have turned so many people away in the last month that it actually hurts.

All my bikes are rented out long term, my restaurant is full from morning till about 3pm, loving it, long may it continue!

Been very busy here in Lamai, I have been full for over a month (42 bungalows) and have turned so many people away in the last month that it actually hurts.

All my bikes are rented out long term, my restaurant is full from morning till about 3pm, loving it, long may it continue!

Impressive, it must be a special place with good price. :)

Anyway this morning the best cappuccino place on lamai was closed, every other bar around was closed (they are empty at 8pm, no surprise ...), i ended up at 7eleven like everybody else complaining about bad coffe...

That is ok in late march, not in peak season.

yesterday evening as usual 80% of restaurant on Lamai beach were empty, the rest with a couple table used.

quite slow now and empty and most of the tourists here are either russian or chinese...not so good for the biz :D

I love seeing the russians asking discount everywhere, we should follow them. 30b a coke, too much, how about 25? :)

the chinese will only buy UV resistent umbrella and go to the beach with them and winter clothes...

I also do not think they leave the group, so no shopping around....

quite slow now and empty and most of the tourists here are either russian or chinese...not so good for the biz :D

I love seeing the russians asking discount everywhere, we should follow them. 30b a coke, too much, how about 25? :)

the chinese will only buy UV resistent umbrella and go to the beach with them and winter clothes...

I also do not think they leave the group, so no shopping around....

Yes. Not much money to be made by local businesses from Chinese package tours.

I love seeing the russians asking discount everywhere, we should follow them. 30b a coke, too much, how about 25? rolleyes.gif

Russians ask, the lithuanians demand. Russians can be resolved by quoting 33% extra than normal and accepting their -33% offer. The lithuanians is another matter, best to make some excuse as little money ever leaves their pockets.

The chinese/japenese/korean can be good business if you can spot the heard leader, get the leader and get the 12 sheep that follow.

Edited by mattcodes

I love seeing the russians asking discount everywhere, we should follow them. 30b a coke, too much, how about 25? rolleyes.gif

Russians ask, the lithuanians demand. Russians can be resolved by quoting 33% extra than normal and accepting their -33% offer. The lithuanians is another matter, best to make some excuse as little money ever leaves their pockets.

The chinese/japenese/korean can be good business if you can spot the heard leader, get the leader and get the 12 sheep that follow.

I'm convinced that 33% should be the standard discount....and if the pizza is upmarked +33% it will be so expensive that i will leave the place.... :) on the last 5 years every place increased price by 15% every december, until the big crisis, so......

some vendors on the street are selling stuff more costly than on italian street market :D

well, like bikes the price will go down and they will never get the initial investment back...

new click 40.000b, 200b x month=200m/16 year and price will go down 150/100....

Edited by kosh