My Sobriety

seedy

Happy 2010 to all.

I quit the booze and drugs 4 Jan 1994. Went to AA for the first 3 or 4 months, then my work took me out in the bush, and attending meetings was not possible.

Fear was a very powerful aspect of those months, fear of relapse, fear of losing my "friends", fear of fear.

I finally decided that it was my choice to quit drinking/drugging and only I can keep myself clean and sober.

All of my 'friends' proved they were no longer my friends - I keep in contact with one ex-friends wife - and that's it.

My life had changed.

My fear of killing myself via substance abuse was greater than my fear of changing my life.

In my case - and I stress only my case - I did not use AA too much. But each person has to make that decision themselves.

I still get the urge sometimes, but I resist. I want to live.

It ain't easy - but it can happen.

Good luck to all.

Congratulations on maintaining your sobriety.

I think that AA meetings are very helpful in early sobriety, even if you don't choose to follow their programme, because it gives you a broader range of experience to draw on, and show that sobriety is possible, even for apparently hopeless alcoholics, and provide a bit of support and encouragement in the early days. "If nuts like that can do it, I can too..." - and it gives you someone to talk to who can talk without a pint in their hand...

Best wishes for the next 16 years, starting with a happy and prosperous 2010...

SC

Congrats. I celebrated 30yrs last September. Went to AA for the first 5 years and worked the program rigorrously with the help of my sponsor. Career and relocation cau bused my disconnect but the principles stayed with me.

AA is great for certain personality types, perhaps/especially those who "buy in" to the notion that they have no control ( they are allegedly powerless) over alcohol ( step 1?)

I believe everyone has a choice of empowerment, even with regards to alcohol. I know people will disagree, but we can agree to disagree without dissing each other

if you say you are powerless over alcohol, it is perhaps a self - fulfilled prophesy. The term "Self fulfilled prophesy" was coined apparantly in 1949, but no one is foolish enough to suggest the notion was invented in 1949. In general, people will want to believe what they want to believe, and humans have endless ways to justify anything.

To me, and I am not that smart..believe me..If someone believes they are powerless over alcohol, they ARE, and they can rationalize it perfectly. ( so go to AA)

If someone believes they have the power over alcohol, they DO, and they can rationalize it perfectly. ( so go to AA, or don't go to AA)

if you say you are powerless over alcohol, it is perhaps a self - fulfilled prophesy. The term "Self fulfilled prophesy" was coined apparantly in 1949, but no one is foolish enough to suggest the notion was invented in 1949. In general, people will want to believe what they want to believe, and humans have endless ways to justify anything.

To me, and I am not that smart..believe me..If someone believes they are powerless over alcohol, they ARE, and they can rationalize it perfectly. ( so go to AA)

If someone believes they have the power over alcohol, they DO, and they can rationalize it perfectly. ( so go to AA, or don't go to AA)

Sounds like nonsense to me - some people are powerless over alcohol - they are called alcoholics - they lose the power of choice after taking that first drink.

I am powerless over alcohol - One is too many and 1,000 are not enough.

I am powerful enough - so far - not to have that first one.

After reading thru the forum, I decided to post my take on this issue. But, whatever works for you - one day - one hour - one minute - one second - at a time.

At the end, it is all about choices - in this as in life in general. If you say you can't, I believe you are setting yourself up for failure.

There is only one can't - and that is live forever. And I am working on that one.

I am powerless over alcohol - One is too many and 1,000 are not enough.

I am powerful enough - so far - not to have that first one.

After reading thru the forum, I decided to post my take on this issue. But, whatever works for you - one day - one hour - one minute - one second - at a time.

At the end, it is all about choices - in this as in life in general. If you say you can't, I believe you are setting yourself up for failure.

There is only one can't - and that is live forever. And I am working on that one.

I've lived for ever so far. One day at a time...

Unfortunately, unlike Pole Vaulting, there's no second attempts.

I told the doctor I wanted to live for ever. He said "stop smoking, stop drinking, abstain from sex, avoid eating food with salt or MSG"

"Will that make me live for ever?"

"No, but it will feel like it"

SC