Flash Cards - Alphabet / Vocabulary

Hockeybik

I've been searching for programs or web sites that do not show a transliterated version of the word or letter. When the anglo alphabet is used to write a Thai word, my eye (and I suspect others) are drawn to the alphabet I "know" and not the one I am trying to learn.

Your ideas are appreciated. ขอบคุณครับ

The best programme I know is 'Before You Know It'. www.byki.com I think. I have used it on Mac and PC and it is really useful.

They don't use any transliteration, just Thai and English. It will help with spelling and pronunciation. But you do have to be pretty honest with your answers.

It's a free download but then the extra lists will cost you. If you want more lists for it, I have some and can send them to you if you contact me.

Byki is good -- there is a free (Express) version and a commercial (DeLuxe) one, which I think is $49.95.

The flash cards have accompanying pronunciation in Thai.

The DeLuxe version has more built-in lists, as well as a rather neat area where you pronounce a word and Byki gives you back a percentage score on how well you pronounced it, compared to their standard native speaker.

The only drawback I find compared to Anki and SuperMemo is that there appears to be no science behind when words are presented to you again for reminder purposes. Words simply become "stale" after a while are re-presented.

Other people have pointed out, and I am beginning to agree, that there are a number of errors (usually minor) in the word lists.

I think this is a better link to Byki.

• 2 weeks later...
I use VOCATUDE 2.0 (free)

I downloaded 2 lists of thai vocabulary with sound ("Thai for beginners" and "thai for advandced learners")

I only see northern thai when I click 'thai' on that page, where do you get those 2 lists?

I downoaded them from www thailandqa dot com.

If you google "vocatude thai for beginners" it should be the first hit.

If you can't find them and are interested you can PM me

Edited by Ericx25

I use the free program, Memory Lifter, from here:

http://www.memorylifter.com/

It has these advantages:

1. you build your own deck of Thai/English cards, rather than using a predefined set. This enables you to build vocabulary in tandem with whatever text book you are using to learn Thai. Learning arbitrary lists of words without their reinforcement in a graded text seems pretty useless to me.

2. The program uses the Leitner box system that ensures that you are tested more often on those words that give you trouble. You can google Leitner system for a full description. ML iplements Leitner with 10 boxes instead of 5, but it seems to work nevertheless.

3. When testing with an English prompt you can type the Thai word, thereby checking your spelling. This is crucial since spelling is so important to getting the tone correct.

4. When testing in the other direction, with a Thai prompt, you can turn off the typing response so that you don't try to type a long English list of glosses. Gives the best of both worlds.

5. Handles synonyms.

I have a small database (~400) of Thai/English words that I would send to anyone who is using ML.