Thai Airways Lounge - No Thai Passengers!

BarryM

Maybe the Thai Airways "crackdown" on freeloading first class passengers is having an effect. Sat in firts class lounge and not a Thai passenger in sight. All westerners. Very unusual.

Then again, maybe the freeloaders just bagged all the seats on the preferred overnight flights.

It fits in with the atmosphere that pervades the entire terminal. A long line of empty, extremely expensive "world class" shops which few locals, or foreigners can afford, all contribute to the image of a world class airport. Unfortunately image is all it is.

My limited experience in F long-haul on TG (BKK-FRA-BKK; evening departure ex-BKK) is that that the load is 50-50 Thai-foreigners.

The Fist Class lounge is quite large, and you also have to consider that many folks may be in the Spa (across the hall) or arriving at the airport just in time to get to the gate, so am not sure this is a quality indicator? Some may also be at another lounge for various reasons. What was the mix in the cabin for your flight?

I think upper class Thais are the first to get OpUped (operational upgrade; used to make room in Economy and/or Business class owing to oversold conditions) owing to the culture of entitlement, class etc. (sakdina), and this causes a lot of issues as it should be based on Royal Orchid Plus status (HiSo's default to ROP Gold I think) and fare paid (class/bucket), with other tie-breakers being miles flown (YTD or lifetime) and revenue.

TG should just issue a report detailing their complimentary upgrade (including OpUps) history, with names and criteria used in order to put this behind them. (I realize there will be privacy issues releasing names.)

Lomatopo, I can easily say that more than half of the Thai passengers in F are not legit full-fare First Class customers. Most of the time they get OpUped (like you said) and these people are usually related to the staff at Thai Airways. They know how to do so without having to write anything down in their accounting system. I have seen many of the sneak-ins as well (in domestic flights). You know, pay economy or some even fly for free but sit in BC.

It fits in with the atmosphere that pervades the entire terminal. A long line of empty, extremely expensive "world class" shops which few locals, or foreigners can afford, all contribute to the image of a world class airport. Unfortunately image is all it is.

I just flew via Sri Lanka and their terminal there was fantastically cheap. A 30 minute massage was $12, a room for 6 hrs in the airport, $15, a seat in the executive (Not that posh but nice and quiet place to get some sleep) was $10 and because I wanted a change of clothes, I bought a shirt for $8 and some boxers for $4. I had a shower for $4.

I thought that was great as most airport services rip u off because you're a captive market and charge a bloody fortune. Go SL!

Lomatopo, I can easily say that more than half of the Thai passengers in F are not legit full-fare First Class customers. Most of the time they get OpUped (like you said) and these people are usually related to the staff at Thai Airways. They know how to do so without having to write anything down in their accounting system. I have seen many of the sneak-ins as well (in domestic flights). You know, pay economy or some even fly for free but sit in BC.

This happens everywhere, I got bumped from monkey to business on a CPH-GIG because I had a family member who works at SAS with me at the airport.

Thai Airways Lounge - No Thai Passengers!

Surprising they have ANY passengers with the high fares they charge. So many better airlines (newer aircraft / modern inflight entertainment) to choose from and most are cheaper. How long before Thai Airways goes the same way as JAL??

Surprising they have ANY passengers with the high fares they charge. So many better airlines (newer aircraft / modern inflight entertainment) to choose from and most are cheaper. How long before Thai Airways goes the same way as JAL??

They seem to be determined to charge high prices and don't seem to be bothered that a large number of regular fliers are moving to other carriers.

Maybe the people in their lounges are Star Alliance passengers, you can even use their lounges, even if not a Gold Card holder, by holding some credit cards or even by using your Thai miles.

Same as the Siam Paragon and Pattay Beach Road Shopping Center.

Just been taking a shufti through my latest TG News thingy and noticed that you can access the Royal Sik Lounges at Swanna for 5,000 miles...7.5 k for member and a guest.

For co -branded credit cards its 4000 and 6000 respectively

Gotta be flying Thai of course.....and limited to 2.5 hours............still....

Bombay Saffi,ice and lime please :)

• 2 weeks later...

Flew in First class from BKK - LHR last year. There were a few Thais in the F lounge but not many. I then saw a couple enter with a noisy toddler and thought "Please don't be on my flight". Sure enough there they were in the first class cabin on my flight. No control over the daughter wh okept running around knocking over drinks etc. They looked rich but not so rich that they would buy a first class seat for their daughter. There were also three Thai students heading back to the UK to continue their studies. They did look quite rich. I base this on the fact they kept using the sky phone and also they hadn't even bothered to visit the lounge. Also they refused a lot fo the First class goodies and treats. Again though, maybe they hadn't paid for their ticket.

Then there was me and one other foreigner. So on that flight the first class cabin was almost entirely Thai :) but I think you are right, most of them don't actually pay for it.