Thaksin's Five Demands In Exchange For Peace

webfact

Thaksin's five demands in exchange for peace: his legal adviser

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra will not cease his political struggle unless his five demands are met, his legal adviser Noppadon Patama said on Tuesday.

"Thaksin wants to raise awareness on the lack of democracy and will fight along with those tens of millions of people suffering from injustice," Noppadon said alluding the alliance between Thaksin and the red shirts.

To bring about reconciliation, the Democrat-led government and the powers-that-be known as "amartya" must comply with the five demands, he said in reference to the Privy Council.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes one just longer for the good old days when a cross and a huge pile of wood could solve these things... :)

Sloppy article to not include any reference to what the 5 demands are.

It hardly matters. You know they are unreasonable and won't be met ... peacefully.

Sometimes one just longer for the good old days when a cross and a huge pile of wood could solve these things... :D

Sloppy article to not include any reference to what the 5 demands are.

The demands should be something like:-

1. Premier space within the cell amoungst his 49 cell mates,

2. Clean prison clothes, twice a month,

3. Access to visitors, once a month,

4. Extra large serving of fish head soup

5. Extra large tube of lube for his puckering backside.

Something tells me the demands are slightly different to this. :)

He acts like he is negotiating from a position of strength.

That's often the way with megalomaniacs. The more tenuous their position, the more wide-ranging demands they make.

Well, I really detest the man as he has been holding Thailand hostage for years now in the manner of a terrorist, but you've got to give him some credit for having mucho grande cajones!

That's often the way with megalomaniacs. The more tenuous their position, the more wide-ranging demands they make.

Well, I really detest the man as he has been holding Thailand hostage for years now in the manner of a terrorist, but you've got to give him some credit for having mucho grande cajones!

I have to disagree, if he had any balls at all he would have stayed in Thailand and fought his corner from there.

Easiest thing in the world to let the foot soldiers do his dirty work whilst giving orders from his penthouse in Dubai.

I am really surprised just how many Thais actually support this guy following his defection to the enemy. When relations between Thailand and Cambodia are at pretty much an all time low over recent years he decides to work with the Cambodian Government as an advisor. I find that Thais in general look down on the Cambodians, so this can hardly help is popularity.

I think that he maybe negotiating from a position of power because he must have a wealth of information in his head regarding Thai governmental/security issues etc. This information could prove to be damaging to Thailand if it falls into the wrong hands.

Cheers, Rick

"amartya"

What the heck is this word supposed to mean?

This is more along the lines of desperation talk.

As the clock ticks down on his money his mind devolves

back to days when he actually HAD power.

I wonder how badly he will crack when he loses the decision?

This can't be right...

Amartya Kumar Sen CH (Hon) (Bengali : অমর্ত্য কুমার সেন, Ômorto Kumar Shen) (born 3 November 1933) is the sole recipient of the 1998 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his work on welfare economics.

He is known as "the Mother Teresa of Economics"[2] for his work on famine, human development theory, welfare economics, the underlying mechanisms of poverty, gender inequality, and political liberalism.

:)

"amartya"

I have to disagree, if he had any balls at all he would have stayed in Thailand and fought his corner from there.

Easiest thing in the world to let the foot soldiers do his dirty work whilst giving orders from his penthouse in Dubai.

Chutzpa he's got in abundance, but cojones, not so big,

or he would do as mentioned and fight it out from here,

or just have done his time and scream martyr long and loud...

Wait he's screaming that now, but from the safety of Dubai.

Big balls, there oh yeah!

Thaksin also sees himself ,and was quoted, as the Asian version of Nelson Mandela. Delusions of grandeur.

Difference is of course Mandela spent 20 odd years IN prison. Thaksin will spend the same amount of time trying to stay OUT of prison.

Wouldnt it be nice to wake up one morning and he's gone .....my Thai wife tells me

"amartya"

Sounds like something out of the Da Vinci code.

Cheers, Rick

"amartya"

It's the Thai word for bureaucratic power\ polity, rule by technocrats, bureaucratic elite- rather than true Thaksin (authoritarian) democracy.

"amartya"

It's the Thai word for bureaucratic power\ polity, rule by technocrats, bureaucratic elite- rather than true Thaksin (authoritarian) democracy.

According to a few news articles I read it is a reference to the Privy Council, as stated in this one, so this definition makes sense.

Edited by granuaile

it's amazing how someone so insignificant in the eyes of posters on here, and indeed in the eyes of the Thai Government can still manage to arouse such passion, maybe he is more significant that people tend to admit to. The guy is constantly in the news, he manages to belittle the current unelected government with his jaunts to cambodia, he manages to get cambodia to basically stick two fingers up to thailand, he manages to have the deputy PM running scared and called state of emergency where the red shirts meet (despite all recent protest being peaceful).

yeah he really has no bargaining power does he? well apart from one known fact that I am not prepared to mention on here

it's amazing how someone so insignificant in the eyes of posters on here, and indeed in the eyes of the Thai Government can still manage to arouse such passion, maybe he is more significant that people tend to admit to. The guy is constantly in the news, he manages to belittle the current unelected government with his jaunts to cambodia, he manages to get cambodia to basically stick two fingers up to thailand, he manages to have the deputy PM running scared and called state of emergency where the red shirts meet (despite all recent protest being peaceful).

yeah he really has no bargaining power does he? well apart from one known fact that I am not prepared to mention on here

Think you should check your facts re "unelected government".

Based on reports from his attorney, Thaksin is calling for: the 1997 constitution to be reinstated, all post Sept. 19, 1996 coup criminal court cases to be dropped, the government to dissolve parliament and call for a general election with all parties ceasing outside-parliament movements and accepting the poll results.

"amartya"

Not quite.The first part of your definition of amartya is correct but the opposite is not specifically Thakin authoritarian democracy but, in the eyes of those who uphold it, any kind of genuine representative democracy.

We will see, the world is watching. Hard to even know what to think about it. Very powerful businessman and politician, certainly will be in history books. Pity it has not been possible so far to reach some sort of agreement or compromise acceptable for both sides. Obviously both parties think they have a winning hand.

Edited by macwalen

"amartya"

Not quite.The first part of your definition of amartya is correct but the opposite is not specifically Thakin authoritarian democracy but, in the eyes of those who uphold it, any kind of genuine representative democracy.

I was tongue in cheek but I do believe Thaksin,' Democracy is not my goal' Shinawat is one of the most undemocratic Thais to hold recent public office.

We will see, the world is watching. Hard to even know what to think about it. Very powerful businessman and politician, certainly will be in history books. Pity is has not been possible so far to reach some sort of agreement or compromise acceptable for both sides. Obviously both parties think they have a winning hand.

As a martyr, as a very well known philanthropist or as the man "who never gave up" trying to be Nelson Mandela...?

There can't be a compromise, it's about all or nothing - "kneel down when I return!".... the fact is that this someone has gone way too far, kicked too many people who could have in the **** ***, and his references to the "Elite" and, and it's him who is on a confrontational course since, he's has been outed, cause HE didn't wanted to follow the rules!

If he would have receded, kept things calm - look at Suchinda, there is forgiveness and amnesty, pardon yes, but keep it low...

rattle your sword and try to force is a sure way to lose it and close the last gate shut for good!

It's how it works....there is no egret, no sorry, no remorse... he simply has nothing done wrong - only chosen the wrong path - power hungry - sorry it's how I perceived the action since!

We will only know how historians perceive Mr. Taksin after this story comes to an end. What legacy he will leave. We do not know the future events yet. It may get better or worse. One way or another he will be remembered.

Edited by macwalen