Trip To France

My wife and I are travelling to England in July for a holiday and while we are there we want to use the eurostar and go to Paris for a couple of nights so she can see some of the sights there.

Anyway my question is what sort of visa is available for a Thai citizen to enter France for just a couple of days and also how would it affect her English tourist visa if she leaves and then re-enters.

We will be going to Bangkok in a few weeks to get her visa from the British Embassy so we will obviously ask there and then visit the French Embassy as well but I just wondered if anyone else had come across this situation before.

Thanks in advance.

HL :)

For an explanation of the Schengen area and Schengen visas, see here.

What is your nationality? If the citizen of an EU/EEA state, read the application form carefully; not all questions and requirements apply to the spouse of an EU/EEA national, and the visa will be free. If you are not an EU/EEA national then all the requirements will apply as will the fee.

From 1st Feb the French embassy is changing their visa application process; see here for more details.

Her UK visa should be multiple entry, so there should be no problem on that score; but check. Whether a visa is valid for multiple, single or dual entry will be indicated by the endorsement of either ‘MULT’ or ‘1’ or ‘2’ after ‘Number of Entries’ on the vignette.

my thai wife needed to apply for a schengen visa before she could travel to spain with me , fee was around £20 shengen visa office in london, just google them , get their number and they will steer you in right direction on what you need, good luck

Sorry guys I didnt realise that you didnt know where I came from....I have now adjusted my profile to state the UK.

Ok I have had a quick look at that site 7by7 (thanks for that) and I think I am going to forget it completely. Too much hassle involved.

Maybe we will fly up to Scotland instead.

Thanks for all your assistance.

'Cos the rules say you have to apply in your country of residence.

From France : new rules for applicants who do not reside in UK

As from the 17th of November 2008 and as per the decree 2008-1176 of the 13th of November 2008, the French consulate, London, is no longer competent in processing visa applications of holders of 'C-Visit' visas or of a British visa valid for 6 months or less. People must apply for their Schengen visas before travelling to the UK in their country of residence.

Checking the websites of the UK embassies of other Schengen states confirms that they, too, will only accept Schengen applications from UK residents. (Except in emergencies.)

Hi,

Good and recent news.

My wife and I are going to Paris in April. If you are a EU citizen ( they include the UK in this!!) can PROVE a UK legally recognised marriage then your wife will be issued with a Schengen visa from the French Embassy FREE! and it will last until 6 months before the expiry of her passport.

Proving a legal marriage is difficult. Although the UK government recognises ours, I had to get a letter from the UK consulate here in Chiang Mai ( 2088 Baht!!), a translation of our Thai certificate into nglish and a copy of the pretty Thai marriage certificate. I am told that is OK. it is in process now.

The French Consul talked about certificate from the UK embassy in BKK with a Red seal, I've no idea what that is.

If you cannot do that, you can apply for a normal Schengen visa, 6 months validity I think, costs 60 euros. Because your wife will have a UK visa there will not be a problem, but you will need the same documentation that you need for a UK visa: tickets, finances, where you will stay etc. Thankfully the French form is only one page long !

The whole process takes about 3 weeks.

So advice is- get your wife a UK visa first then apply for a married persons visa.

good luck

If you need more, feel free to PM me

Cheers

M

Thanks very much for your info msg362...but as I said, for the sake of a two day stint, I really am not going to bother this time.

We will see a bit more of Britain instead. We have already been over for one holiday in 2005 so I foresee no problem with her UK visa.

Thanks also for the offer of more info. Have a good time in April.