Nexus One

NanLaew

I will be in the US next week and considering getting a Nexus One. Has anyone brought one in from the US and used it with a Thai SIM card? It's unlocked and their website says it will work an any GSM network so just wondering if there's any lost functionality when not on the home T-Mobile network.

I have one. While it is a very nice phone, there are two things it cannot do.

With a Thai SIM card, you cannot purchase apps. You can download the free ones but when you search for apps for sale, nothing comes up. I have been inserting my $17 T-Mobile prepaid from from EBay. There is no GSM connection however I can purchase apps on WiFi.

Secondly, it is quite difficult to get a Thai font on the phone. You have to root it apparently. I think South Asian fonts will be in a software update but I do not know when that will be.

Edited by jhs

I have one. While it is a very nice phone, there are two things it cannot do.

With a Thai SIM card, you cannot purchase apps. You can download the free ones but when you search for apps for sale, nothing comes up. I have been inserting my $17 T-Mobile prepaid from from EBay. There is no GSM connection however I can purchase apps on WiFi.

Secondly, it is quite difficult to get a Thai font on the phone. You have to root it apparently. I think South Asian fonts will be in a software update but I do not know when that will be.

Thanks for that info. Did you buy yours with the 2-year T-Mobile service or the more expensive handset-only (unlocked) option? I was wondering if the cheaper option means a handset that's locked to T-Mobile? I don't really need another US mobile phone contract so if the untied handset allows me to access and download any applications I may need BEFORE I head back to Thailand, that would be nice.

I take it from your comment 'no GSM connection' that your prepaid T-Mobile SIM isn't roaming here (and you didn't sign up for a new T-Mobile account). But if you can access the 'net via wifi, then it's not an issue anyway no?

What's the delivery time when ordered online in the US?

Edited by NanLaew

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I bought one not tied to T-Mobile and checked it out on my AT&T SIM in the US. Once I got here, I stuck my AIS SIM in and it works great. Once you have a wifi network connection, there's literally hundreds of applications available, some free, most at 99c which you can buy/install instantaneously if you already have a google checkout account. It's got pretty idiot-proof menus to make sure you aren't accessing any expensive global roaming services via GSM networks while overseas. Now I will see how long it takes to dispel my Nokia brand loyalty.

Oh yes, it works in Japan which is a BIG bonus that Nokia and the others haven't fully addressed yet.