Thailand Aims To Seize All Thaksin Fortune

webfact

Thaksin was a rich man even before he came into power, and the governments claim to his entire fortune is spurious indeed. I also find it a little disturbing how you all accept what should be a fair trial as a foregone conclusion and see no problem in doing so. I think you have all been in Thailand a little too long.

100% agree, Thaksin was the 8th richest man in Thailand before he was Prime Minister, can anyone explain to me in simple English why they should sieze his assets, he has 1 conviction (which was a split decision anyway) and recieved a 2 year prison term and no monetary penalty, he may be guilty of tax avoidance but you can not rewrite the law to convict him.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai government is pompously declaring that they are going to seize all of Mr. Thaksin's money because he got it thorough graft. He owned a telecom giant and sold it, legally. If anything is illegal, it is probably the government's entire case against Thaksin. I am not a fan of old "square face," but he is no worse than any other highly-positioned Thai. As graft and corruption are SOP in Thailand, the government trying to seize his money is probably the purest case of irony I have seen in a long time. I will now sit back and watch the real-life Thai soap opera :D

Nicely put and I totally agree. :):D:D:D

Agree as well, the entire government institution from the top all the way down to the bottom is as corrupt as I have ever seen in any country (blatantly so)

It is purely Ironic and a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Its as basic as he has money and they want it, and to those of you who think for a second that a single stang will EVER go in the pocket of the poor you are so clueless it borders on blind ignorance.

The rich will get richer, whilst the poor will get poorer

Irrespective of what you might think about the present government, the 3 of you on this post, do not seem to understand what went on today.

The statement from the Atoorney General was his closing statement in a court of law.

KY Pojaman also made a statement in defense in the same court of law.

Let's all calm down, and stop relying on misleading headlines and propaganda from both sides to make rash and incorrect judgements from.

It is probably correct that there are people in the government and some elite, who do want to give him his "come uppance".

The same as on the other side, the Reds, PTP, and another lot of "elites" want him to be either forgiven for his sins, or found not guilty of the offences at issue in this particular trial.

Read the "fine print"...

His

-first move was to sell computers to police-departments while he was a policeman in San Kamphaeng (Chiang Mai). He made a lot of money with it and was so clever to share with decision making people.

Having some money from that he went higher:

-his second move was to get the permission and help from the government and other influent Thai to setup a private phone company with all the agreements of being the SOLE mobile-company in Thailand. AIS controlled everything and the government made huge investments to benifit them. No need to say he was clever again to benifit some helping hands.

Having more money from that, he wanted more and more....... he went into politics. The rest of the story we all know if we (want to) think a bit.

Read some international press articles, google around, there is a lot on the net. Read what his advisers say about him f.e.; he cannot stop, not in investment, not in politics, he wants to be the winner in all he does and whatever it takes................. He think he will never lose and can control everything. Article published last year in an Arab newspaper.......

etc etc etc.................

Recent poll conducted concluded 70% supported Mr. T and wish him to return to thailand and restore democracy.

Link for the poll?

Why would he restore what helped to erode?

They concluded that the illegitimate government must go.

It's not illegitimate, no matter how many times you say it, nor how much you wish to believe it.

Thailand loves Mr T

You speak for an entire country? Impressive.

and the reds numbers will only grow.

If Thaksin's money is gone, the numbers are more likely to dwindle in my opinion.

Thaksin was a rich man even before he came into power, and the governments claim to his entire fortune is spurious indeed. I also find it a little disturbing how you all accept what should be a fair trial as a foregone conclusion and see no problem in doing so. I think you have all been in Thailand a little too long.

100% agree, Thaksin was the 8th richest man in Thailand before he was Prime Minister, can anyone explain to me in simple English why they should sieze his assets, he has 1 conviction (which was a split decision anyway) and recieved a 2 year prison term and no monetary penalty, he may be guilty of tax avoidance but you can not rewrite the law to convict him.

what??? the innocent killed in the drug war, 500 baht red shirt bribes, failure to appear, selling phones at jacked up rates to his own people, lying, inciting riots...

The Thai government is pompously declaring that they are going to seize all of Mr. Thaksin's money because he got it thorough graft. He owned a telecom giant and sold it, legally. If anything is illegal, it is probably the government's entire case against Thaksin. I am not a fan of old "square face," but he is no worse than any other highly-positioned Thai. As graft and corruption are SOP in Thailand, the government trying to seize his money is probably the purest case of irony I have seen in a long time. I will now sit back and watch the real-life Thai soap opera :)

the man is a traitor, seize the lot and chop off his head!

QUOTE:

"He owned a telecom giant and sold it, legally."

Well maybe you'd like to consider these points:

- About two or three days before the sale he blatantly railroaded an act through parliament to reverse the laws which prohibited such sales, purely for his own purposes. You say 'legally' sorry don't agree.

Any perhaps you'd like to remember that at the time he railroaded the law change through nobody from his own party dared to object. Many knew that is was wrong and very unethical but they were terrified to say anything. The term 'abuse of power' comes to mind.

Same with the relevant bureaucrats, they were terrified of his dictator approach and didn't dare to say anything other than 'yes sir', 'how high should i jump sir'.

- He gained a telcoms license out of nowhere when such licenses were supposedly not available to private enterprise, and to top if off I can recall clearly the photos in the newspapers of squarehead accepting the documents from his friend general S, (since passed away) who was one of the nasty leaders of the violent 1992 coup.

A little ironic seeing that squarehead claims that he is anti-coup and wants the clock rolled back to 'democracy'. (But I won't go on about his statements that 'democracy is not my aim' / 'democracy is not important for Thailand' / 'democracy is not needed for Thailand'.)

- When he held a monopoly license he screwed the Thai public with exorbitant charges for many years.

Here you go, this is how Thaksin got the license in the first place.

Blood money, all of it.

military_thaksin_03.jpg

Quote by Johncitizen:

And a sensible, logical statement at that John!!!

What do they pay ex policemen where you come from????...... Enough to parlay it to billions ?????

A very lucky man to win the national lotteries in so many countries, and so many times... :)

Do some research on the man before making these kinds of posts, and you will find where he (legitimately) got his money from. The 'old guard' Thai establishment didn't like him, because he was already immensely wealthy, and used his family in positions where he needed someone to trust, rather than accept the graft and corruption that permeates all levels of Thai society. The final straw was when he won a second election (a first for Thailand), and with an absolute majority (yet another first for Thailand), and didn't have to resort to coalitions with other parties (for which read handing out ministry's/budgets etc etc) that Thailand had before, and has yet again (witness the Public Health ministry scandal, the Bangkok bus purchase/lease shamble).

Quote:

"....The 'old guard' Thai establishment didn't like him, because he was already immensely wealthy, and used his family in positions where he needed someone to trust, rather than accept the graft and corruption that permeates all levels of Thai society. The final straw was when he won a second election (a first for Thailand), and with an absolute majority (yet another first for Thailand), and didn't have to resort to coalitions with other parties (for which read handing out ministry's/budgets etc etc) ...."

This is just rubbish and factually wrong.

'"Won an alection and and absolute majority". When will you guys read and absorb the facts about this? He bought the election and as a result his party got banned for 5 years. Lots of evidence was quoted at the time of the case, please absorb....

Email alert reads:

Breaking News:

Thailand to seize all Thaksin fortune: Attorney general

Story reads:

Thailand Aims To Seize All Thaksin Fortune

Sad to see the spreading of misinformation using sensationalist content... Could the AG sue for defamation?

I hope these content tactics aren't related to the introduction of opaque affiliate promotions such as HSBC and Skype through redirected pretty URLs on thaivisa.com domain. Shame if integrity was to go out the window in the search for profit :)

There is a phrase in thai law called "unusually rich" meaning you must explain where your money came from! He was asked this question by the opposition when he first came to power!!! But his party voted the question down!!Where have you been I can only think you have only just arrived here! That was not democracy! That was dictatorship! He has yet and will not ever answer that question..His new party are trying to change the constitution voted in by the people of Thailand in a free referendum so he can come back and do as he wants again...Remember he is banned from entering europe and the USA because he is deemed not to be a fit person...That is not because of his 2 year jail term but because of his past here..Do you think those governments did that for fun?

Let the games begin!!

and other comments like 'bring it on'

Obviously you don't live in Thailand, or have been through the 711, bird flu, tsunami, and other events that make not only the farangs but all Thai's suffer.............. These have been very bad times..... I don't think to bring it on is a good way to view this, especially if you work in an industry that relys on tourists coming to Thailand.... A huge part of Thailand does though...

This news is ............ I hope an end to things, not the beginning of more to come for all of us who live in Thailand, I hope we can go forward

Has anyone ever worked out just how much of his fortune was gained from corruption and whether he did actually make a couple of million reasonably fairly ?

Can't see this ending well whichever way it goes.

I dare say a lot of his business deals were perfectly honest ones but the money used to set them up came from where?

Way the powers that be look at it is if you made money from coruption, anything you make from there on in falls into the same category.

You make one phone, go to a meeting your car, do anything that's paid for by illgotten gains and that new deal you just did is then corrupt.

If they get his money then he is stuffed, but will they? No chance!!! but I bet his ATM card has stopped working :)

.............otherwise known as a CIVIL WAR! :D

Nothing major is going to happen. Thaksin has played most of his cards. He's down to seeds and stems as far as his efforts to cause trouble for Thailand. He's been out of the news for awhile, and only a loose cannon nutcase tossing a grenade at a military base reminds us T is still a menace. He has many less supporters than he used to. The candle is nearly burned out and all that's left is a puddle of yellow wax.

GOOD! How about some social programs for the Thai people? It would certainly be a shame if it was distributed amongst the corrupt. Dump some of it towards the Tsunami victims that are still suffering without medical care for lack of funds. I would love to see something done about all the crazy people that society seems to accept as normal street inhabitants. Sadly, I think the feces is going to hit the oscillating rotor, and hard. It's going get nasty, so we all have to be strong. Screw the bastard! This is good news. Other than that I have no opinion. :)

That's a strong bunch of opinions for someone who has few opinions. I agree on the wisdom of spreading some of that money around where it would do the most good. There ought to be a nationwide contest (10,000 winners, each getting Bt.1,000) to fish for best suggestions on how to spend T's ill-gotten gains. My suggestions: dog kennels for abandoned dogs. Clean up beaches, sea shores, parks, including a campaign to educate Thais on the advantages of dealing with trash responsively. Oh, and enabling the many disenfranchised people who have resided in Thailand for generations to get an ID card. ....and enabling free education in fact, not just in word. Currently, even the poorest students have to buy brand new books, clothes, shoes, and pay their teachers - in order to attend school - thus the reason why many kids simply don't get to go to school - their families are too poor.

Seizing all his assets seems a bit drastic, but we will have to see what the court has determined.

If a corporate chief is caught (and found guilty of) stealing from the company, do the authorities just give a slap on the wrist? No. A thief should not only lose the money he stole, but should have a fine levied.

He was put out of office for doing illegal things in office, stealing among them. It is right that they should take what money they can find, as punishment for those crimes. Plus recover as much money as they can that he stole. Maybe this will stop rich bussines people from buying elections, when they get in office it is a different ball game. He could have stayed out of politics and enjoyed his money, but greed overtook him, now the piper has come.

He was put out of office for doing illegal things in office,

:)

You aint seen nothing yet.

All his fortune? That amounts to theft, he was a successful tycoon before and they are just jealous.

Next up will be I think BOOM BOOM Bang bang bang BOOM BOOM Bang bang bang BOOM BOOM Bang bang bang BOOM BOOM Bang bang bang vaaa BOOM BOOM Bang bang bang BOOM BOOM BOOM Bang bang bang BOOM Bang bang bang. Ak akak they got me or us :D

I am not for Taksin but this is a bit much :)

Still a milseading headline I feel, made me think they had seized it already and I was off out to buy a tin hat and 2nd hand Uzzi

I said the same thing in a comment early on (noting that the 'aims to' was omitted from the 'breaking news' email headline), but my post was deleted!!

Edited by Sir_Sanuk

Wow!! let the battle begin!!

.............otherwise known as a CIVIL WAR! :)

cannot be avoided anyhow. So let's go for it. This creep shoud be blacklisted everywhere and cursed by witches for the rest of his days. Ever since he existed he was a split in the Thai scoiety, how can one call such a thief and bastard a "leader". To the gallows with him! Despite a civil war provoked by dumb people anyhow who need months if not years to understand that the real culprit is TOXIN. What a waste of time, energy and opportunity, all coming from one trouble maker... :D:D:D

To call the most successful leader Thailand ever had "a creep" is close to insanity. Have we forgotten in that Mr. Thaksin. turned around a financial crisis that had left the Thai government and the elite blinking in the headlights. Let us not forget the despair of Thailand's neighbors that had been pulled to the ground by the failed Thai financial system. Some of us also remember that the seriously ill, or injured on the Isan invariable died for lack of medical attention before the Thaksin Government provided rural clinics and cottage hospitals.

.............otherwise known as a CIVIL WAR! :D

Nothing major is going to happen. Thaksin has played most of his cards. He's down to seeds and stems as far as his efforts to cause trouble for Thailand. He's been out of the news for awhile, and only a loose cannon nutcase tossing a grenade at a military base reminds us T is still a menace. He has many less supporters than he used to. The candle is nearly burned out and all that's left is a puddle of yellow wax.

GOOD! How about some social programs for the Thai people? It would certainly be a shame if it was distributed amongst the corrupt. Dump some of it towards the Tsunami victims that are still suffering without medical care for lack of funds. I would love to see something done about all the crazy people that society seems to accept as normal street inhabitants. Sadly, I think the feces is going to hit the oscillating rotor, and hard. It's going get nasty, so we all have to be strong. Screw the bastard! This is good news. Other than that I have no opinion. :)

That's a strong bunch of opinions for someone who has few opinions. I agree on the wisdom of spreading some of that money around where it would do the most good. There ought to be a nationwide contest (10,000 winners, each getting Bt.1,000) to fish for best suggestions on how to spend T's ill-gotten gains. My suggestions: dog kennels for abandoned dogs. Clean up beaches, sea shores, parks, including a campaign to educate Thais on the advantages of dealing with trash responsively. Oh, and enabling the many disenfranchised people who have resided in Thailand for generations to get an ID card. ....and enabling free education in fact, not just in word. Currently, even the poorest students have to buy brand new books, clothes, shoes, and pay their teachers - in order to attend school - thus the reason why many kids simply don't get to go to school - their families are too poor.

Seizing all his assets seems a bit drastic, but we will have to see what the court has determined.

If a corporate chief is caught (and found guilty of) stealing from the company, do the authorities just give a slap on the wrist? No. A thief should not only lose the money he stole, but should have a fine levied.

well said, and "his" money would be put to much better use than further corruption or some silly sports team and another lavish home abroad.

Outside of all this unusual wealth, there are many other instances I mentioned above he still has not answered.

At least the light is beginning to flicker out on this weasel of all weasels.

The Thai government is pompously declaring that they are going to seize all of Mr. Thaksin's money because he got it thorough graft. He owned a telecom giant and sold it, legally. If anything is illegal, it is probably the government's entire case against Thaksin. I am not a fan of old "square face," but he is no worse than any other highly-positioned Thai. As graft and corruption are SOP in Thailand, the government trying to seize his money is probably the purest case of irony I have seen in a long time. I will now sit back and watch the real-life Thai soap opera :D

Nicely put and I totally agree. :):D:D:D

Question, is there a precedent for this in Thai history? What other countries have done the same? I see Russia mentioned. Nationalization of assets is a pretty serious issue if your a business owner in Thailand!!

Wow!! let the battle begin!!

.............otherwise known as a CIVIL WAR! :)

cannot be avoided anyhow. So let's go for it. This creep shoud be blacklisted everywhere and cursed by witches for the rest of his days. Ever since he existed he was a split in the Thai scoiety, how can one call such a thief and bastard a "leader". To the gallows with him! Despite a civil war provoked by dumb people anyhow who need months if not years to understand that the real culprit is TOXIN. What a waste of time, energy and opportunity, all coming from one trouble maker... :D:D:D

To call the most successful leader Thailand ever had "a creep" is close to insanity. Have we forgotten in that Mr. Thaksin. turned around a financial crisis that had left the Thai government and the elite blinking in the headlights. Let us not forget the despair of Thailand's neighbors that had been pulled to the ground by the failed Thai financial system. Some of us also remember that the seriously ill, or injured on the Isan invariable died for lack of medical attention before the Thaksin Government provided rural clinics and cottage hospitals.

guess your standards of "success" are pretty low! he's good at self-centered achievement and furthering his career, but the only reason is self interest. already enough crooked politicians like that. whata worse is those who blindly hold them in high regard and believe their lies

that money he sent to the poor was their own money being given back.

So I assume they know where all his money is? In big bag marked "stash" buried under a tree in Limpini Park? or will it be a bit more difficult to find?

Still I bet the Thai people will get a kick knowing that all that money is going to some their way - sometime....it will won't it?......or maybe there'll be some delay and some will go on expenses and then there's banking costs, recovery costs, accountant fees, tax??? ... so all in all a somewhat unlikly windfall and just another excuse for a riot?

How many polititians have unusual wealth in Thailand?

Is Thaksin more unusual than the usuals? :)

He was the worst of them, as well he killed 3000 people....

currently it seems not only in Thailand but worldwide only the worst people get politicians

he changed the law once again 1 day prior to his sale to temasek so that he escaped taxes once again.

Of course you know this is an Urban Myth.

The law was brewed up and brought through Parliament by the opposition. i.e. The Democrats