Thai Government Asked To Implement Emergency Decree To Head Off Rioting

webfact

Government asked to implement emergency decree to head off rioting

By Suchat Sritama

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Chamber of Commerce yesterday asked the government to consider declaring a state of emergency as a first step in controlling possible outbreaks of intense rioting.

It said an emergency decree would allow the government to prevent the situation from spiralling out of control. The private sector does not want to see a repeat of the violence that rocked Pattaya and Bangkok last April.

Already, the ongoing Map Ta Phut controversy and this past weekend's C4 incident at the Supreme Court and grenade explosion near Government House have damaged the confidence of foreign investors and tourists alike.

TCC vice chairman Phongsak Assakul said the private sector wanted the government to implement riot-control measures ahead of the scheduled February 26 court verdict in the assets-seizure case of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

"If intense rioting like last April happens again, it will be very hard to restore foreigners' confidence in Thailand," said Phongsak, who supports an emergency decree from the government.

But he admitted it was up to the government to assess the situation. "If the government believes the situation will not be serious, then it would not be advisable to launch such a decree, because that could result in panic," Phongsak added.

Meanwhile, tourism associations yesterday warned the meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions (MICE) industry would suffer if the government did declare a state of emergency.

The Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), the Trade Exhibition Association (TEA) and event organisers all believe MICE business will plunge if the government issues a state of emergency or implements other measures to prevent violence.

The tourism industry - indeed, the overall business sector - is already fearful of a return to domestic political violence.

People fear another outbreak of chaos in the wake of the court ruling in the Thaksin case.

ATTA president Surapol Sritrakul said tourism operators were especially worried.

"Even though we've not yet seen any cancellations of meetings or exhibitions from outside, foreign businessmen are already looking ahead to our political situation, while tourists are being warned against coming to Thailand," said Surapol.

He said renewed political turmoil would cause tourists to go to other countries instead.

"Bad politics will not hurt only tourism businesses, but rather all businesses," said Surapol.

TEA president Patrapee Chinachoti said all international exhibitions planned for Thailand this month and next remained scheduled. However, he warned if the political situation experienced a sudden downturn, it would hurt the MICE industry.

"The TEA remains confident the MICE sector will grow 20 percent this year," she said, adding that July-August and November-December were the peak periods for events and exhibitions.

A representative from CM Organiser, the Kingdom's leading event organiser, said some big projects developed or owned by the government had been put on hold, due to the instability.

However, private operators are maintaining their schedules and product launches despite the prospects of the political situation turning sour.

PK Exhibition Management yesterday confirmed it would hold the 18th Discovery Thailand & Discovery World 2010 event, at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre in Bangkok from March 11-14.

More than 1,200 hotels, airlines, travel agencies, spas, golf courses, cruise outfits and entertainment and related businesses will be on hand to offer 50-per-cent discounts on products and services.

The company expects 300,000 visitors to spend more than Bt400 million at the event.

In addition, the Amazing Isaan Fair 2010 will run between Thursday and Sunday. The Tourism Authority of Thailand will lead hotels, resorts, travel agents and golf courses to offer packages exploring the Northeast and Indochina.

Nattakit Tangpoonsinthana, executive vice president for marketing at Central Pattana, said Thailand's tourism industry was picking up, reflected in the 90-per-cent occupancy rate of hotels around CentralWorld. He also believes the political turbulence will end soon.

Deputy Prime Minister Trairong Suwankhiri yesterday urged everyone to remain peaceful, because news of bombs being planted could scare away foreign tourists.

"Whether these bombs are part of the political protests, I don't know. I just hope they're not. It could be a third party or even a prank. It's a matter for the police," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Tourism and business will suffer either way. If they do not declare a state of emergency, there will be riots lasting for weeks, prompting your Department of Foreign Affairs to issue a travel warning. If they do declare a state of emergency, the Department will issue a travel warning based on the Thai Government's own assessment of danger. Either way, there will be a travel warning and tourist will have no travel insurance as travel insurance does not cover "civil unrest." No problems for expats - but, the singles, couples and families who save up their cash for a year for their one holiday, will not risk it. They will go to neighbouring countries who will cash in on this debarcle. If these neighbouring countries put on a good holiday, it's possible Thailand could lose their business for good. The damage is more than just a "quiet high season." It has the potential to lower tourist numbers for years, even in peace time.

It has the potential to lower tourist numbers for years, even in peace time.

...when luxurious hotels open every day.

Well, I'm not sure the "Reds" are able to be so bothersome.

Opposition to the Democrats will probably continue to grow but here we mention the "pro-Thaksin" part of this opposition.

My feeling is that the "pro-Thaksin" troops will weaken at the same time that the anti-Democrats (but not specially for Thaksin) ones will increase.

Now, I don't know.

My question is: Are Thai people beginning to feel that there is another way between "Democrats - Army" and Thaksin?

The mysterious bombs and bombings are looking more and more like a set-up. There is just too much publicity by the government on this issue to make it credible. They want to enact the security act to prevent any possibility of people expressing themselves. This, I believe is against the constitution.

And I will tell the tell till...

Problem (self created... M79 grendade and the 3lbs bomb)

Reaction (the 'public', no, actually just some old boys club like the chamber of commerce asks for 'action')

Solution (less freedom for the public, more control of the government, as if Thailand had not enough of draconian laws like l.m.)

There you go, all down the road with them headlines. This is state created terror, I raise the question if this is not a false flag attack so to keep the 'terrorists' / red shirts / & GENERAL PUBLIC! out of politics and in fear. As Hermann Goering said "It is easy to start war, it works everywhere the same: You claim being attacked and everybody who is not with you against the 'common enemy' (and the reds are being stilized like that by the media) is not a patriot but a coward and better shuts up!"

Guys, this left vs. right, red vs. yellow game is a smokescreen... this country is just dealing with personality cult and obidience, the legislation never servs the serfs. There is no real opposition, it's just bears which want to be close to the honey-pot.

Some more examples I need to mention:

- 'Blue' shirts vandalizing in Pattaya at the G20 meeting (policemen?)

- Abhisit's cracked windshield after his 'motorcade' was attacked

- bombs at Victory Monument during new year's

The list goes on and on...

:)

And I will tell the tell till...

Problem (self created... M79 grendade and the 3lbs bomb)

Reaction (the 'public', no, actually just some old boys club like the chamber of commerce asks for 'action')

Solution (less freedom for the public, more control of the government, as if Thailand had not enough of draconian laws like l.m.)

There you go, all down the road with them headlines. This is state created terror, I raise the question if this is not a false flag attack so to keep the 'terrorists' / red shirts / & GENERAL PUBLIC! out of politics and in fear. As Hermann Goering said "It is easy to start war, it works everywhere the same: You claim being attacked and everybody who is not with you against the 'common enemy' (and the reds are being stilized like that by the media) is not a patriot but a coward and better shuts up!"

Guys, this left vs. right, red vs. yellow game is a smokescreen... this country is just dealing with personality cult and obidience, the legislation never servs the serfs. There is no real opposition, it's just bears which want to be close to the honey-pot.

Some more examples I need to mention:

- 'Blue' shirts vandalizing in Pattaya at the G20 meeting (policemen?)

- Abhisit's cracked windshield after his 'motorcade' was attacked

- bombs at Victory Monument during new year's

The list goes on and on...

For the sake of clarity, I do wish you would complete your list, which you claim, goes "on and on".

I would be particularly interested in hearing your expanded thoughts, about the "personality cults" and "obedience" you see.

Is this on both sides, or just one (that is, if there are only 2 sides in all this)?

I look forward to your comments.

Edited by RegularReader

Well it looks like the strategy to justify the imposition of martial law is now moving into the next stage, with "respectable" groups calling for the suspension of Thailand's already limited human rights.

However, I have the impression that some of this violence is being created by groups that have an interest in the imposition of martial law, agent provocateurs as they are termed.

I find it odd that with the number of available police officers and military personnel available, that an alternative means of order cannot be implemented. Perhaps the posting of public security personnel at key installations should first be considered. Sometiomes, the visible presence can act as a deterrent.

Has the Chamber of Commerce taken leave of its senses? As soon as martial law is imposed, the travel advisories will go up in every western country and many asian countries. It may sound illogical, but martial law gives rise to the perception that a civil war is underway. In order to declare martial law, the Thai government will have to justify it and make a public statement that civil order must be maintained becauses of the circumstances. This is tantamount to the declaration of a civil insurrection. If so then the cost of borrowing will increase, investors will be scared off and tourists will not be covered by trip travel insurance policies. Reputable foreign travel agencies will not continue to bring in the tourists because of the legal implications.

Well it looks like the strategy to justify the imposition of martial law is now moving into the next stage, with "respectable" groups calling for the suspension of Thailand's already limited human rights.

However, I have the impression that some of this violence is being created by groups that have an interest in the imposition of martial law, agent provocateurs as they are termed.

I find it odd that with the number of available police officers and military personnel available, that an alternative means of order cannot be implemented. Perhaps the posting of public security personnel at key installations should first be considered. Sometiomes, the visible presence can act as a deterrent.

Has the Chamber of Commerce taken leave of its senses? As soon as martial law is imposed, the travel advisories will go up in every western country and many asian countries. It may sound illogical, but martial law gives rise to the perception that a civil war is underway. In order to declare martial law, the Thai government will have to justify it and make a public statement that civil order must be maintained becauses of the circumstances. This is tantamount to the declaration of a civil insurrection. If so then the cost of borrowing will increase, investors will be scared off and tourists will not be covered by trip travel insurance policies. Reputable foreign travel agencies will not continue to bring in the tourists because of the legal implications.

Are you intimating the Chamber of Commerce is "testing the waters" for the government to impose "harsh measures" to deal with possible violence in the next couple of weeks ?

I tend to agree that the suggestions from the Chamber, if implimented, could do serious long term damage to the country.

But, at this stage, these are just comments from a non-government body.

Let's wait a few days and see how this develops, before saying the government is just looking for an excuse to wind back freedoms.

Edited by RegularReader

It has the potential to lower tourist numbers for years, even in peace time.

...when luxurious hotels open every day.

Well, I'm not sure the "Reds" are able to be so bothersome.

Opposition to the Democrats will probably continue to grow but here we mention the "pro-Thaksin" part of this opposition.

My feeling is that the "pro-Thaksin" troops will weaken at the same time that the anti-Democrats (but not specially for Thaksin) ones will increase.

Now, I don't know.

My question is: Are Thai people beginning to feel that there is another way between "Democrats - Army" and Thaksin?

A luxurious hotel can open everday - that doesn't mean it's going to be profitable.

As read in the media last week, large sums of money have been deposited into Red Shirt Leader's bank accounts. This money could only be for a "fighting fund." The money could buy arms, or simply feed the protestors, and their families, for the duration of the protests without them having to leave to support their families. The money can also buy media time to futher voice their position and as a "call to arms." The Yellow Shirts took the airport, but, in realilty, there are so many high value targets that could bring the current administration down. Eg. stock exchange, telecommunications, electricity supply, water supply, ports and docks, and, as crazy as it sounds, Singha Brewery. :) What tourist would come to Thailand if there was no beer here. :D :D Even the expats would be going on very, very long visa runs. :D:D

Meanwhile on the other station, the government tells the media to report the news carefully!

The Chamber have completely lost their senses in making a statement that generates headlines like this. If everyone would just shut up for a minute maybe the situation might calm down. At this rate, people will be believing that Bangkok is on the verge of becoming a war zone by 5pm tonight.

What if the bomb discovery went unreported?

What if the discovery went reported by the government wasn't seen to react?

Given the threats that have been made and the reputation of the people making them, wouldn't it be considered foolhardy not to take pre-emptive measures?

Damned if you do...

/edit - stick "Thaksin Country Flames" into Google and see what appears, reported less than a month ago, but before Sae Daeng started shooting his mouth off.

Edited by Insight

Meanwhile on the other station, the government tells the media to report the news carefully!

The Chamber have completely lost their senses in making a statement that generates headlines like this. If everyone would just shut up for a minute maybe the situation might calm down. At this rate, people will be believing that Bangkok is on the verge of becoming a war zone by 5pm tonight.

And that will not happen with newspapers in particular the Nation stoking up anti Thaksin red hatred at every opportunity.

As usual the state of emergency/riot act or whatever is utilised on almost every occasion that it is becoming worthless. Why can't the police force do the job they are supposed to do?

And that will not happen with newspapers in particular the Nation stoking up anti Thaksin red hatred at every opportunity.

As usual the state of emergency/riot act or whatever is utilised on almost every occasion that it is becoming worthless. Why can't the police force do the job they are supposed to do?

The Emergency Act is in no way worthless. It effectively hands over control of a given part of the country (or entirety of the country) to the ISOC. This is no mealy mouthed bit of legislation. It seems straight out of the PRC's Army playbook for putting down insurgency.

There are some pretty dodgy bits of law contained in the Emergency Act that curtail people's rights and basically make the government a puppet of the ISOC as long as the decree stays in effect. Essentially, a limited, legal coup which relies on the benevolence of the army to give up.

What is the police's job because I thought their main job was to sit in the sun next to traffic lights and press buttons, along with signing note books whilst standing under trees handing out their signatures to motorcycle groupies.

, Singha Brewery. :) What tourist would come to Thailand if there was no beer here. :D:D Perhap sober jihadi suicide bombers tea totallers and wine connoisseurs?

More likely CHINESE BOOTLEGGERS

Well red clappers could orgainise a Puttsch in Boonrawd brewery tho from the Leo and logo of the lion I think a more amber assault ?

ARCHA Red Horse and Johnny Walker surely will be the fuel of the unwashed proletariat led by the Regency proffs and the cream of K Phet Time for A Chang?

Indonesian shadow puppetry reveals the larger picture.Powerful hands bemusing local kids in half-light

Chaos+ instability no wonder s many of us prefer here to USA UK Greeceand soon to be to be downgraded Ireland Spain and Portugal Bankrupt Hungary Italy and the Afghan Riviera.

When the the last nail goes in the coffin we're swimming to Lao where nailess coffins are traditional joinery to return when all the whingers are gone

Matichon has reported about Chalerm having a new house just over the border ion Cambodia because he is terrified a coup will occur.

One problem with this now is that everyone wiothotu exception seems to be worried about violence occuring. It is seeming like a run away train. Government talk it constantly. The whole media are obsessed with it. The UDD leadership have effectively distanced themsleves from anything that may happen and they have made announcements that Sae Daeng is nothing to do with their movement. Thaksin has asked Sae Daeng not to use his name when making threats. Business operators seem to see it coming. Virtually everybody in the country is talking about it coming. Everyone who may be linked is palying an advanced plausible deniablilty card

And none of the analysis is very deep at all. There are many players in this game now and everyone seems very edgy that some of them have already decided to get out of control. There have been up to now some very strange bedfellows indeed and the contradictions of that are becoming very very real in a mist of paranoia and lack of trust and maybe a recognition that if things do indeed go off it wont be a position the losers or rather the leaders of the losers will be able to come back from for quite some time. Lets hope it doesnt.

Matichon has reported about Chalerm having a new house just over the border ion Cambodia because he is terrified a coup will occur.

One problem with this now is that everyone wiothotu exception seems to be worried about violence occuring. It is seeming like a run away train. Government talk it constantly. The whole media are obsessed with it. The UDD leadership have effectively distanced themsleves from anything that may happen and they have made announcements that Sae Daeng is nothing to do with their movement. Thaksin has asked Sae Daeng not to use his name when making threats. Business operators seem to see it coming. Virtually everybody in the country is talking about it coming. Everyone who may be linked is palying an advanced plausible deniablilty card

And none of the analysis is very deep at all. There are many players in this game now and everyone seems very edgy that some of them have already decided to get out of control. There have been up to now some very strange bedfellows indeed and the contradictions of that are becoming very very real in a mist of paranoia and lack of trust and maybe a recognition that if things do indeed go off it wont be a position the losers or rather the leaders of the losers will be able to come back from for quite some time. Lets hope it doesnt.

Depending on your political persuasion, you could say that it has been a perfectly executed propaganda message.

Doesn't really matter who's side you are on, if your plan was to prove that democracy CAN'T work in Thailand it has been executed perfectly.

Ummmmm "As usual the state of emergency.... is ustilised on almost every occasion that it is becoming worthless."

Could you please tell us more about how often it has been used and when it has proven worthless?

A state of emergency curtailing demonstrations could easily be implemented in a way that did not impact the country in a major way. I am personally opposed to curtailing the freedom to assemble and the freedom to peacefully protest. I do think that offering the red's a place to assemble and protest that does not impair the safety of the public and the protestors would be acceptable. Let them use the statium at RU again. Have them pass through security to check for weapons and explosives. Give them access to the world press and local press.

Thailand cannot afford the publicity of another Red gathering like at Songkran, but it also cannot afford to fail to protect the civil rights of protestors. (Thailand cannot afford a replay of the police attack on the PAD either, or to fail to protect the protestors the way they did with the grenade attacks on the PAD.)

Again ... give the protestors a place to gather that ensures their safety AND that of the public!

Depending on your political persuasion, you could say that it has been a perfectly executed propaganda message.

Doesn't really matter who's side you are on, if your plan was to prove that democracy CAN'T work in Thailand it has been executed perfectly.

Interesting point as everyone involved was trying to prove "democracy" as they defined it couldnt work or couldnt work without involving them, or couldnt work without ammending it or having some other system or way of polls, or having or not having checks and balances that worked. The number who wanted to show it would not work at all was always very very small although they did make sure that ppeople who should have been either vaguely allied or at least on the same page became hideously divided in an emotive rather than rational way.

I still think all sides have lost or are on the verge of losing control of things whatever they initially intended. It seems very tense in the halls of power and the smoke filled political planning rooms of all sides. When it comes to be time to jump nobody seems to be very sure their parachute will open. Maybe it will be best if nobody jumps.

Hammered --- I missed something in all the threads .. when did Thaksin ask Sae Daeng to not use his name when making threats? Did Thaksin do that publicly?

Yesterday Noppadol, Thaksin's lawyer requested Sae Daeng to not use his name that way saying Thaksin was concerned it would be misinterpreted. It was after Sae Daeng basically threatened Abhisit and his entire family. Manit, the former judge, later followed the threat up by saying red shirts should attack Abhisit on sight. There has been so much flying through the Thai media that maybe only a fraction has made it into English

Hammered --- I missed something in all the threads .. when did Thaksin ask Sae Daeng to not use his name when making threats? Did Thaksin do that publicly?

Yesterday Noppadol, Thaksin's lawyer requested Sae Daeng to not use his name that way saying Thaksin was concerned it would be misinterpreted. It was after Sae Daeng basically threatened Abhisit and his entire family. Manit, the former judge, later followed the threat up by saying red shirts should attack Abhisit on sight. There has been so much flying through the Thai media that maybe only a fraction has made it into English

oh, I caught that! I was thinking that Thaksin himself had distanced himself from Sae daeng.

ISOC was invoked preventatively several times last year without any violence happening, followed by its being lifted. Some of its imposition was specifically targeted to geographic areas, which was wise to do. ISOC was effective during the Songkran riots too.

However, a declaration of a state of emergency constitutes a statement that there presently is a serious disorder and that it's out of control - chaos, perhaps anarchy and the like. I don't think we're there, at least not yet.

Martial law would be a direct statement of a coup d'etat occurring, so I wouldn't want to hear that at all.

Terminology is important in all of this and at this point in time.

The Chamber of Commerce is telling us and the world that a serious disorder is already occurring which likely will, in their view, spin out of control.

The only violence the Reds can afford to exercise is a successful overthrow of the government. Let's hope the Chamber isn't onto something we don't yet know.

This isn't one propaganda message, but the interactive confluence of several sides messages.

Plus the fears and hopes of far to many of the players, as spoken extemporaneously to hungry reporters,

and likely in need of retractions. But those post-edits coming too late to matter.

And then there is the disinformation aspect.

Several are suddenly saying the exact opposite of their long held views,

distancing of job and life survival instincts kicking when they realize

just how far those around them might actually go.

Not illogical the Milloion Man March was brought to the 20th and not 26th.

If it happens well before it can be a good scare,

if it happens that day... judgments are on paper and ready to go...

oops too late.

And the troika Rouge is saying nothing offical, but Thaksin fans will do as they please.

Don't blame us for putting up the road sign and giving the masses REASONS to show up,

but hey it's 'Not Official".. j j j j just in case they find it gets them court dates on the losing side.