Will Forthcoming Unrest Effect Baht Value?

I may be clutching at straws here but has any one got any educated opinions on how the forthcoming political unrest at the end of feb over taksin's assets being siezed will effect the baht's value?

i'm thinking not at all seeing as all the demonstrations and airport sit ins did little to effect it end of feb 08.

anyone thinking different?

I may be clutching at straws here but has any one got any educated opinions on how the forthcoming political unrest at the end of feb over taksin's assets being siezed will effect the baht's value?

i'm thinking not at all seeing as all the demonstrations and airport sit ins did little to effect it end of feb 08.

anyone thinking different?

NO! GBP-USD will be 1.5 next week. If it gets better yeee-ha

why would it affect the thai currency....?

isn't tucksin's and family's assets are already in thailand?

and aren't they all assessed in thai value aready?

why would it tip any balance....? the thai govt just need to move from impounded assets on the righthand side to seized assets on the left.... the total capital in thailand would remain same in the sense that it is already in thailand....

the treasury acct of course would be significanly multipled.... and we all hope.... under this govt, no individual or entity is able to enhance himself or herself like the previous infamous govtal representatives.... but that is left to be seen....

what would be even more interesting and challenging is.... whether the current do good govt would be able to apply and imply the upcoming court decision to include seizure of his fraudulant assets in hongkong, china, middle east and european countries.... :)

I would not expect it to have impact on th baht. Too many other/ external factors effect the bahts value . Unless there is Major civil unrest.

..or a major financial collapse... (a la 1997)

to make the wet dreams of the dreamers come true. unfortunately (for them) there is no such thing like a financial collapse in the offing. au contraire! my best guess is that the Baht will strengthen even more vs. major "western" currencies.

I would not expect it to have impact on th baht. Too many other/ external factors effect the bahts value . Unless there is Major civil unrest.

..or a major financial collapse... (a la 1997)

to make the wet dreams of the dreamers come true. unfortunately (for them) there is no such thing like a financial collapse in the offing. au contraire! my best guess is that the Baht will strengthen even more vs. major "western" currencies.

Have to agree with you there Naam,

My reasonong is that if a ruling against T goes ahead,and the money is seized without any great turmoil, it might restore some investor confidence in the Thai stockmarket and Thai politics in general...

So maybe the baht to go north???

Bad for us farangs i guess but we shouldnt dote on the demise of the country for our own selfish means :)

do you not think there will be major civil unrest then? from what i've read there is going to be pandamonium.

You may have been reading too much about 'civil war'. This is difficult in a country that is galvanised by the Monarchy.

Civil unrest certainly if Mr T continues to fund his ambition to return as the country's saviour. Actually the country is faring not too badly.

I will be extremely surprised if any 'unrest' is anything other than short-lived and extinguished quickly by the authorities etc.

(but I have been wrong in the past !)