Adsl-isp In Bangkok

Zarkow

To be able to get online at all for now, I'm currently using a True 15-day card and an old 33.6Kbit modem. The plan is to search out for good (to decent) ISPs now and hopefully signup with someone at the end of the month.

Have gotten papers from Orange(?) and their prices seems reasonable, but that might be becouse of a connection that isn't really....what I would be used to? Got kinda worried when reading through their 'rules' (all in Thai ofcourse) and they state that they have the right to cancel anyone that is using the connection to much (sic!) and the limits per hour they listed was for example 70Mb for an 256Kbit-connection and going all the way up until their 4096Kbit/512Kbit-connection. The problem is ofcourse that the 'amount of data' per hour they list is almost exactly 50% of the connections top-speed per hour. Have one good day and get disconnected...

Anyone know if this is calculated on a weekly basis, or do they do random sweeps (like euro-isps)?

Also, how would you say the current level of the ISPs is? I'm not really impressed with their modem-connections, not this Real-one or the rented one my wifes family had before. Very low speeds (even for modem!), refusal to login to either hotmail o gmail...and even this site is amazingly slow, wich I assume is located in Asia. Can't compare with my connection in my old home, since it was 10/10Mbit, but I can sure measure the in and outgoing speed on the modem using simple tools, and they are 1-2Kb/sec at evenings. Connections seems seriously over-crowded at evenings. :]

Anyway, ADSL-ISPs. What I would also like to hear, is if you have any to recommend? Any experiences with any, in the Bbangkok area, is appruciated.

Additional info: Currently there is atleast two computers in the household that should get connected. One in 'my' office and one in my wifes dads office. The problem is that they are located in two different buildings on the compound, some 40 meters apart. I could setup an internal router or proxy and drill the walls and drag a simple cat5e-rj45-cable, but I'm not all that sure that it's a solution they would want here. Not my house...=)

Another solution is using an account from two computers (sometimes not allowed) or trying to find a package for 'small biz'. But that might end up much expensier then needed. Since if we would sign up for a 4Mbit-connection, it would in effect most likely be enough for both computers even if I'm sending/recieving a lot of work backandfrom to Europe. Any tech-wiz feedback might be needed here. =)

I'm not sure about the exact distance to the AXE-station from the houses either, so I cannot say what the max-speed in effect would be, but I do hope the ISPs do like in Europe - measure the distance and say what max-speed you can get. Otherwise I might sign up for 4Mbit and only be able to use 2Mbit (if it's over 150m or whatever the limits or again.) =)

Well, any info you have, or just even companies and web-adresses with more info, are appruciated.

Edited by Zarkow

For the network around the house, get a wireless router, work anywhere (by the pool :o ) no holes.

Your ISP will never know how many PC's you connect via your router, so you don't need to shell out on multi-pc packages.

As far as providers are concerned:-

True seem to have a bad rep on this forum, plus they now need a work permit to set up an account.

I'm with KSC, definately not the cheapest but my 'slow' connection (512k) belts along flat out most of the time, so the contention ratio must be pretty good.

I'm sure others will have opinions on the alternative provders, over to you guys.

Crossy, gimme your KSC connection! Im 512K with KSC, and half the time its slower than dial-up. Ive had the engineer in my house for a whole day working his magic while 'negotiating' with his boss over the fone and managed to get it from arthritic snail pace to regular snail pace.

In 3 months ill head over th CS loxinfo. For a start they offer a 1 month free trial, but my next door neighbour has it so 9 times out of ten i log onto his Wifi network instead of mine. Maybe i should come up with a deal with him!

Crossy, gimme your KSC connection! Im 512K with KSC, and half the time its slower than dial-up. Ive had the engineer in my house for a whole day working his magic while 'negotiating' with his boss over the fone and managed to get it from arthritic snail pace to regular snail pace.

In 3 months ill head over th CS loxinfo. For a start they offer a 1 month free trial, but my next door neighbour has it so 9 times out of ten i log onto his Wifi network instead of mine. Maybe i should come up with a deal with him!

Teach me to open my big mouth, the d@mn things been up and down over the past couple of days. Speed still ok just decides it doesn't want to give me an ip address.

Nice lady at the call centre though :o

Sounds like you have a bad / excessively long phone line, particularly if the engineer has to work his magic at your end. don't get any 'orrible noises in you phone handset do you?