Alternative Retirement Destinations For Expats (other Than Thailand)

Tejas

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (craigt3365 @ 2010-05-29 06:07:06) I just got off the phone with a friend and she is talking about potentially living in Cypress. Does anybody have any info on Cypress? I have also heard some good things...just curious....

the island of Cyprus is divided into a Greek and a Turkish part. we lived in the (southern) Greek part of the capital Nicosia from mid 1986 till end of 1989 (when not travelling). easy to get a residence permit, authorities and most people can communicate in english, utmost friendly people, low crime rate, moderate living expenses (but much higher than Thailand), very low taxation for retirees, property and rentals quite expensive. when considering Cyprus again in 2004 nothing much had changed. what put us off where the property prices.

Hey would you be more specific about the property prices which put you off ? and which is the est part you would consider to be in the republic of Cyprus(is it? or the other part?) Thanks

it's the combination of prices and what shit² (construction and design) is offered at a ridiculously high price which put us off. please be more specific on the "est part" as i have no idea what you mean.

in the northern (turkish) part property and living expenses are much lower but infrastructure is less developed. a big hassle is travelling as the turkish part does not have an international airport. one has to fly to Altanya, change flight and go to Istanbul. residents and visitors of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus are not allowed to use Larnaca international airport which is located in the south.

Anyone thought about Bali.

I know someone who has just moved there lock stock and barrel.

So i hope she goes well.

Well as good as can be expected with the possibility of being blown upi!!

I was in that restaurant area on the beach 3 weeks before that 2nd blast. Crazy. But...it sure is a beautiful island. Roads are kinda tough...so if you live up in the Northern part, getting down to the main town for some shopping seems to be a bit of a travel. But...it sure is a beautiful island!

Let us know how she is getting on...would be interesting to know...

Sorry to interrupt, but this is getting interesting.

My guess is that "est part" means eastern Cyprus vs western Cyprus.

That aside, if you have time, I would like to know about all of those islands off the coast of Turkey.............between Turkey and Cyprus (all controlled by Turkey).

Not long ago I was in the Middle East and a colleague of mine was talking about how wonderful those islands are............don't remember the names of the islands.

If you have been there and can shed light on them as possible retirement destinations, your input would be appreciated.

My guess is he left the b out of 'best part'

Sorry: I did miss the "b" from "best" part of the island to live in but I also meant Greece versus Turkey (although I think that Turkish side would be more appropriate as I am in Thai company and the visa problems would be much greater)

As for the prices I have seen, they do seem quite affordable (ranging from 30 to 80.000 € depending on th size and location but as I do not know Cyprus I surely do not have any idea about what I am looking at-not for-)

Any thoughts about earthquakes in the region?.....

Edited by alyx

Having lived here for 26 years I would love to leave. Am not retied - no pension - and my last business venture has just been shot by the reds. I need to pull off one more before leaving here.

Having lived in Trinidad a very long time ago, I did love the place, but highly increased crime rates since the last 15 years stop me from moving there. The same accounts for Mexico.

I'm looking at Lang Kawi or KL as a real alternative. I never wanted to move to an Islamic country but Malaysia is kind of stable and they let you do what you want and actually welcome foreigners. Easy long term visa or even residence. You can buy land / a house or build one. You do not need native shareholders when opening a company.

Infrastructure is far better than in Thailand and the place is actually cheaper - housing -+ food. Everybody speaks English and people are friendly, real friendly, not the false "smile" friendly like here.

:blink:What part of KL were u in- I did not experience cheaper prices and better service... Plus it was unbelieveably HOT- like amazingly HOT.

Yes I was attracted by the land and house ownership also and the foreign investment rules are far more adventagous. As Thailand does appear not to really want us here, as the rules are very hard against expats, foreign investors, etc... IMO.

Interesting suggestions being put forward yet it all comes down to your own situation. Your age, do you still wish to work or invest, climate you wish to live, financial situation, medical condition, etc.

I have had friends living in Thailand that needed to return to their home country due to illness. As naturally you feel safer around true loved ones, than possibly fake loved ones in a foreign country.:)

Vantexan

It's a tough call, I was really impressed with the looks of the houses and condos an the low cost. Property taxes are almost non existent, like a few hundred dollars a year. But the tax on world wide income pretty much killed my enthusiasm for Ecuador.

Good luck in your search, hope you find the perfect place.

How are they going to know your 'worldwide' income- come on... Who declares income made from multi countries. There is no way i would be- as an investment in Aussie will have 30% capital gains applied to it anyway- then what you expected to declare this to ecudor, so they can take more.

No I do not think 99% of expats in Ecudor would be so stupid...

:)

QUOTE (miruph @ 2010-03-16 02:14:21) QUOTE (LamaiCat @ 2010-03-15 15:12:36) Question: after 2 weeks in Saigon to look around, where can i go with a beach?

Nha Trang or quiet Mui Ne beach close to Phan Thiet ?

I'm reading Wikitravel....

Mui Ne is not too far, but it seems just a small beach city resort.

Nha Trang very far, different climate, december probably cool....

Vung Tau very close. Price double on weekend, is it really too crowded with locals?

Lived in Vietnam for 2 years. Beaches are great. Nha Trang is very beautiful, nice people outside Saigon. Saigon is a world class armpit. With everyone trying to screw you...WAY worse than Thailand. (I have a Vietnamese wife, and even that didn't slow them down any.) Hanoi, the same. Most Expats can only do a few months there at a time before going postal on the locals. No kidding. they have a name for it even...."Saigon Rage." Vung Tau is really, Saigon with a beach if you ask me. Mue Ne, Phan Thiet are also nice. Government is also even more ineffective than Thailand. Makes Thailand look like a first world country. Police ineffective and corrupt. My opinion, anyway.

I was in Nha Trang in January. A bit too cool for swimming...not sure if it is normal, but there were huge waves and pretty high winds on the beach. Nice little town.

I agree with your comments about the big cities. Crazy. The locals in Hanoi are too "Chinese" for me. Doing that spitting thing, cutting in lines, etc....very rude. But I liked the old part of Hanoi better than any part of Saigon.

I was in Nha Trang in January. A bit too cool for swimming...not sure if it is normal, but there were huge waves and pretty high winds on the beach. Nice little town.

I agree with your comments about the big cities. Crazy. The locals in Hanoi are too "Chinese" for me. Doing that spitting thing, cutting in lines, etc....very rude. But I liked the old part of Hanoi better than any part of Saigon.

Which is worse, spitting (China) or picking your nose at every opportunity (Thailand)?

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.................the life of expats in Asia.

Cutting in lines? Never have seen that in Thailand laugh.gif

Seriously, I live in China and Thailand..........the cutting in line thing seems worse in China for only one reason: more people. It is the same psychology.

Spitting? I think many Chinese have lung infections.............way too many smoke cigarettes (one reason).

Nha Trang sounds interesting. The big cities sound bad...........worse than Bangkok?

Two things I really dislike about Bangkok: traffic and air-pollution.

There are interesting places to see and do (the positive side).

Which is worse, spitting (China) or picking your nose at every opportunity (Thailand)?

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.................the life of expats in Asia.

Cutting in lines? Never have seen that in Thailand laugh.gif

Seriously, I live in China and Thailand..........the cutting in line thing seems worse in China for only one reason: more people. It is the same psychology.

Spitting? I think many Chinese have lung infections.............way too many smoke cigarettes (one reason).

Nha Trang sounds interesting. The big cities sound bad...........worse than Bangkok?

Two things I really dislike about Bangkok: traffic and air-pollution.

There are interesting places to see and do (the positive side).

Spitting in China is way worse. They do it in restaurants, on the bus, in the bank, at the airport (spit in the potted plants!)...totally gross.

I went overland several years ago from Laos up to Kunming. Headed to the bank to get some $$$ and saw this really well dressed Chinese businesswoman walking out of the bank. As I was admiring her, she cocked her head and spat out a huge lugie right on the sidewalk. Horrible.

Due to some late minute travel plans, I ended up in 3rd (low) class section of train. The floor was covered in spit. It was 8 hours of hel_l...

As I have mentioned, I have been to about 70 countries now...the rural Chinese are the worst...But I have not been to the Middle East yet!!!

Spitting in China is way worse. They do it in restaurants, on the bus, in the bank, at the airport (spit in the potted plants!)...totally gross.

I went overland several years ago from Laos up to Kunming. Headed to the bank to get some $$ and saw this really well dressed Chinese businesswoman walking out of the bank. As I was admiring her, she cocked her head and spat out a huge lugie right on the sidewalk. Horrible.

Due to some late minute travel plans, I ended up in 3rd (low) class section of train. The floor was covered in spit. It was 8 hours of hel_l...

As I have mentioned, I have been to about 70 countries now...the rural Chinese are the worst...But I have not been to the Middle East yet!!!

You are giving the readers the impression that all Chinese are spitting all over the place..........not true.........they only spit in your food if they think you are offended by spitting laugh.gif

In my view, both are disgusting behaviors that should be banned.........any public spitting, off with your tongue..........any public nose picking, off with your finger.

Not really, of course. cool.gif

Middle East: Been there..............no nose picking in public or excessive spitting I could detect.

Super nice people in the Middle East............in some areas.............true...........no joke..........certainly not everywhere.

I think Cat Stevens decided to retire there many years ago, but I don't know which country.

One poster mentioned Bali: I liked it but the visa rules (ten years ago) were difficult. One poster (think on this thread) said there was a fairly easy solution to that now.

Bali is different from the rest of Indonesia. It is very beautiful. The city planners have banned large skyscrapers and such.............the beaches are fantastic (especially if you like to surf), but there are many hawkers...........coral reefs are not nearly as damaged as in Thailand (for those who like to SCUBA dive).

There are active volcanoes............you can climb to the top and the view is spectacular.......if "lucky," it will erupt while you are on top............small enough to scare the shit out of you but do no harm.blink.gif

The culture is fascinating: the only place I know where religion (in this case Hinduism) and art blend seamlessly together.

The Balinese are, in general, nice people.............IMHO, far nicer than your average Thai and more honest.

Violence? I was there after the bombing. That was a long time ago now. Nothing has happened since then. It is safe.

Cost of living: Like most places, high in some areas and low in others...........depends on your lifestyle and needs.

Food: I don't like most Balinese food...........there are many Western food options.

Sanook factor: Yes, believe it or not, there are women there..........nuff said. But nothing like Thailand. And there are plenty of bars.

I really enjoyed the traditional Balinese cultural dances and other related stuff (rituals).........but after a while I got bored with it all.

Temperature: HOT, HOT, HOT............like Thailand but maybe even a bit hotter. You can live in the highlands and it is cooler there.

Hotels: fabulous places............and then ten dollar per night bungalows (most of those are OK).

Internet: no problem.......same as Thailand......meaning it is not up to global standards.

I suggest living there and getting a feel for the place.

I went overland several years ago from Laos up to Kunming. Headed to the bank to get some $$$ and saw this really well dressed Chinese businesswoman walking out of the bank. As I was admiring her, she cocked her head and spat out a huge lugie right on the sidewalk. Horrible.

Vietnam trains are terrible - pee pee running down the isles as toilets being used and people just pee where the carriages joined. This was in first class sleepers (4 to a room)

I still have the ticket stub where it says that you are not allowed to bring dead bodies on to the train.

Nah Trang is nice though.

But remember rule number 5 in all the hotels - says not to bring any women into your room -

great food, wine, bread

remember also that there are many defoliants around (thanks America for using chemical weapons during war) and many many unexploded bombs (thanks America)

:)

I went overland several years ago from Laos up to Kunming. Headed to the bank to get some $$ and saw this really well dressed Chinese businesswoman walking out of the bank. As I was admiring her, she cocked her head and spat out a huge lugie right on the sidewalk. Horrible.

You are giving the readers the impression that all Chinese are spitting all over the place..........not true.........they only spit in your food if they think you are offended by spitting laugh.gif

In my view, both are disgusting behaviors that should be banned.........any public spitting, off with your tongue..........any public nose picking, off with your finger.

My girlfriends ex lives in Merida with his wife they manage a jewelry factory at present it is running 125 degrees during the day their elec. bill runs them 350dollars a month and they are not at home during the day.

Middle East: Been there..............no nose picking in public or excessive spitting I could detect.

Super nice people in the Middle East............in some areas.............true...........no joke..........certainly not everywhere.

I think Cat Stevens decided to retire there many years ago, but I don't know which country.

One poster mentioned Bali: I liked it but the visa rules (ten years ago) were difficult. One poster (think on this thread) said there was a fairly easy solution to that now.

Bali is different from the rest of Indonesia. It is very beautiful. The city planners have banned large skyscrapers and such.............the beaches are fantastic (especially if you like to surf), but there are many hawkers...........coral reefs are not nearly as damaged as in Thailand (for those who like to SCUBA dive).

There are active volcanoes............you can climb to the top and the view is spectacular.......if "lucky," it will erupt while you are on top............small enough to scare the shit out of you but do no harm.blink.gif

The culture is fascinating: the only place I know where religion (in this case Hinduism) and art blend seamlessly together.

The Balinese are, in general, nice people.............IMHO, far nicer than your average Thai and more honest.

Violence? I was there after the bombing. That was a long time ago now. Nothing has happened since then. It is safe.

Cost of living: Like most places, high in some areas and low in others...........depends on your lifestyle and needs.

Food: I don't like most Balinese food...........there are many Western food options.

Sanook factor: Yes, believe it or not, there are women there..........nuff said. But nothing like Thailand. And there are plenty of bars.

I really enjoyed the traditional Balinese cultural dances and other related stuff (rituals).........but after a while I got bored with it all.

Temperature: HOT, HOT, HOT............like Thailand but maybe even a bit hotter. You can live in the highlands and it is cooler there.

Hotels: fabulous places............and then ten dollar per night bungalows (most of those are OK).

Internet: no problem.......same as Thailand......meaning it is not up to global standards.

I suggest living there and getting a feel for the place.

These threads are somehow getting mixed up...........it is hard to see what I posted and what Moe 666 posted.

In fact, I did not say this in this context: In my view, both are disgusting behaviors that should be banned.........any public spitting, off with your tongue..........any public nose picking, off with your finger.

That would really be bad taken out of context.

I said this (big difference): In my view, both are disgusting behaviors that should be banned.........any public spitting, off with your tongue..........any public nose picking, off with your finger.

Seriously, what is going on with the posts here...........hard to tell who is saying what.

Is this a software problem or a poster problem?

<!--quoteo(post=3412841:date=2010-03-14 09:47:32:name=Tejas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tejas @ 2010-03-14 09:47:32) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3412841"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3412815:date=2010-03-14 09:38:31:name=theoldgit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (theoldgit @ 2010-03-14 09:38:31) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3412815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eastbourne<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for all the stupid, spam replies.........now, if any person with a brain would like to answer the questions, please do. Thanks.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't be so &lt;deleted&gt; touchy, you asked for alternative destinations and you got them, Eastbourne is a very popular retirement destination.

If you don't want an answer, then don't ask the question. Can I respectfully suggest that you calm down.

:) Shes the same on other threads too

OOPPS this must be a software glitch

whats going on here

Edited by BlackJack

Whilst Laos is safe for a visa run I would suggest that the locals are quite nasty under the surface, the cops can be very corrupt and any country that passes laws that allow them to arrest foreigners if they have sex with the local women when not married needs to be avoided. Also, more than a couple of days boredom does set it.

Being a Brit, Burma holds some appeal but no idea what it is like.

The total lack of rule of law in Phnom Penh would be frightening if I ever made a serious investment there (by which I mean the police/army are renown for turning up and just taking over successful foreign run businesses - a bullet in the head the result if you are stupid enough to complain). Living a low profile life there would be okay but perhaps boring in the end?

Parts of the Phillippines can be good but I believe you are taxed on your worldwide income there if you become a resident unlike Thailand, which would cause problems if you bought a condo (and could not do a runner).

Both Malayasia and Indonesian suffer in comparison to Thailand on living costs and accessibility of the locals,

With very cheap flights I am actually inclined not to retire to just ONE country and flit between several in Asia, which would also solve most of the visa problems.

Having lived in Laos for many years I am shocked that you would say that the Lao are quite nasty under the surface. While this might be true for a few, the Lao are some of the genuinely kindest people I have ever dealt with.

The family and I visited Costa Rica often with the intent to retire there. They had great rentista and pensionado programs.

When we first looked - the plus points were:

1. Required family income of USD 600/mo retiree (pensionado) or USD 1000/mo rentista.

2. Import an automobile duty free every three years.

3. One time import duty free of household goods.

4. Able to join the low cost medical program.

5. Great climate (San Jose is over 4000ft elevation in a valley.

6. Nightlife available for those with a need - better than Pattaya plus casino's.

7. Housing inexpensive (if not too close to town)

8. Labor cheap.

9. Excellent schools.

10. Great English newspaper (Tico Times).

11. No restriction on owningand operating a business (but you cannot work for a company other than your own).

Bad points:

1. Petty theft extremely bad. Anything not watched disappeared in minutes.

2. Only available insurance is government owned with ridiculous rules (e.g. if your house was burglarized and you could not show forced entry your claim was denied). All homes look like fortresss on the first floor.

The programs are bing wittled down each year and with the latest changes (this month):

Good:

1. Pensionado required income USD 1000/mo, and not so good - rentista USD 2500/mo (bad part is you have to show money was converted to colons.)

Bad:

1. No free auto import (duty approx 200 percent value of vehicle)

2. No duty free household goods (duty 100-200 percent for electrical items)

3. Housing costs have doubled in top areas.

4. Now required to join country social security.

5. Armed robbery and carjacking now a daily event.

Costa Rica is nice but the benefits are going down at a rapid rate.

I decided that if I was going to have to stand on one leg and quack like a duck while flapping my arms, I would rather do it in Thailand. Vietnam certainly looks interesting but, now that I have kids going to university in Thailand, I will have to stay put for awhile.

Hate to slightly disagree.....but the mongering experience is much better in Patty. There are certainly a lot less of them in San Jose, CR than in Patty.

Thanks for all the stupid, spam replies.........now, if any person with a brain would like to answer the questions, please do. Thanks.

i visited cuba , a few years ago .

it is a very beautiful country ,

very cheap , and the people very friendly .

i think when fidel pops his clogs ,

it will be even better .

and certainly an option ...

i visited cuba , a few years ago .

it is a very beautiful country ,

very cheap , and the people very friendly .

i think when fidel pops his clogs ,

it will be even better .

and certainly an option ...

I would like to see Cuba, but as incredible and ridiculous as it sounds, it's actually a criminal act for Americans to go there. So much for being free, but there would be no banking services available if your money was in a US bank. Many of us are stuck having a US bank because our pensions cannot be automatically deposited into a foreign bank.

Actually, it is OK as an American to visit Cuba...you just can't spend any money there (it's an economic embarog). Which in reality, makes it impossible to visit. I do know of some who have visited there with church groups, university groups, etc.

I have been there twice. Illegally. Went via Jamaica one time and via Cancun another. Impossible to fly direct, and if you go via Canada, US immigration is actually at the Canadian airport and you can get into big trouble. Something like a 10k USD fine. Immigration in Cuba will not stamp your passport as they know what is going on.

You are right about having money problems. I brought all cash.

It is a great place to visit. But, they are really poor. The food in general is not that good. And it is a police state. I have a few friends who live there. I can't even walk with them down some streets. The police will grab them. Crazy. The girls are wild, for sure. Aggressive as heck...but in a polite way...more or less....

Spanish skills are an absolute must...

I'm sold on Colombia. They've got a new pensionado visa that requires $750 U.S. a month income. And due to Spirit Airlines(although their pilots are currently striking) I can fly from a number of major cities there to Ft.Lauderdale for very little, saw $99 one way fare to Medellin the other day, and that is a common fare, not a special. After looking at fares to other countries I looked at where Spirit flies and it looks like Colombia is the best bet. And they are much safer these days, nothing like riots in Bangkok going on. Can get DirecTV Latin America with most of the English channels including HBO, etc. Internet is excellent too. And you can buy property, including the land under it. Read yesterday that average Colombian professionals like lawyers, dentists, etc make around $10,000 a year. If interested look up ColombiaExperts and Colombia Expats on Yahoo Groups. And search on Google for Colombia Blog, which has a large forum. If you prefer it hot with beaches check out Cartagena and Santa Marta on Google. Cartagena is an international tourist destination that's extremely safe due to strong police presence to protect tourists. Many consider it the most beautiful colonial city in South America. If you prefer mild temps in the mountains check out Bogota, Medellin, and a number of small cities like Manizales. If you like postcard perfect little towns in beautiful mountain settings they've got quite a few of those, several of which have good amenities due to tourism. And if you are into adventure sports check out San Gil, the country's adventure capital. Whitewater rafting, hiking, caving, mountain biking, parasailing, swimming under waterfalls, it's got everything. Something for everyone, and one plus is that around Medellin it's majority white. Can blend in, although you'll want to know some Spanish. And Colombian ladies are very beautiful, older men can do well there although it's definitely an economic relationship for most. But Colombian women are much more traditional than those in some Western nations. I'll concede it's hard to beat Thailand or the Philippines for their women, but for sheer beauty Colombia ranks right up there with the best.

Edited by vantexan

QUOTE (PattayaParent @ 2010-05-03 09:42:03) QUOTE (Naam @ 2010-05-03 15:18:18) QUOTE (PattayaParent @ 2010-05-03 13:26:04) QUOTE (moe666 @ 2010-05-03 03:02:18) I guess we all missed it if you are planning on retireing in Thailand on $1000-$1800 a month unless you have the 800,000 in the bank you will not qualify. At the exchange rate of 32baht to the dollar you need over $2000 a month

It's going to need the 800k lump sum deposit to start with ($25,000) and to remain untouched for renewal and the $1,000 - 1,800 a month pension for living expenses.

wrong!

You mean you don't need 800k to renew after the first visa?

What he means is that simply dumping 800k in the bank and rolling out the bank book each year is frowned upon and could lead to their refusing to renew your extension of stay. now if the current rate was 2m baht and you lost your grandfather status, then you would need 2m. What they really want to see is you spending your 800k and then bringing in another tranche to give them. Of course some simple manipulation can overcome this but immigration staff are a law unto their own and if they don't want to play ball, they won't. I have heard about people being told that this year will be ok but not next year for a static 800k.

Another option is to spend 10m on a condo (or in multiple condos) or invest 10m in agreed assets, including government bonds. That qualifies you for an investment visa.

Back on the question of where else to go, dare I say that this topic has come up because of worsening exchange rates and what people really mean is not where is better but rather where is cheaper ?

The Thai Embassy website actually says that " You need 800,000 Bt, but you can use an account of 400,000 Bt and show pension income of 400,000 Bt. It also says that the deposit amount only needs to be shown in a Thi bank account three months before you renew the first year and only for two months on your second year renewal. Now this is for a retirement O visa. So $12,500 USD in bank money and $1,041.00 USD per month in SSN income or pension income verfied by the US Embassy. So am I reading something wrong here???

I have been researching for a year now. My observations.. Panny getting really expensive, unless you want to live in the hitherland. At lot of real estate fraud going on. Cueanca, Ecuador small town, not much to do, some crime after dark, No infastructure away from the largest cities. Can be robbed at any time in rural areas. Really need to learn the language. Quento, the capital a larger city, but a lot of crime. You do not want to go out alone after dark. DO NOT BELIVE WHAT YOU READ IN IL about any country...promoting their own product, seminars etc. Also do not believe what you see on HGTV House Hunters show. All spit and polish. Viet Nam I think is out because I don't know if I could live in a country that at one time some of their population was shooting bullets at me. So I am down to the Phillipines and Thailand I guess. Was in Thailand in the sixties so I know what it is like there. Quandry...Quandry

I assume you are US? If so, you just need a letter from the embassy verifying your monthly income...which is done by you filling out a piece of paper and swearing it is true...nothing is checked. I did show a bank book at immigration, but it did not have much money in it. Check out the visa branch for better info there....

I think you are right on with regards to Ecuador...and same can be said for much of SA...with the exception of Argentina and maybe Chile.

When was the last time you were in Thailand? Philippines? If the 60's, it's nothing like you remember it. Same with PI.

You need to visit there for at least a month before making any decision. Big difference between the two places. Each has pros and cons.

What he means is that simply dumping 800k in the bank and rolling out the bank book each year is frowned upon and could lead to their refusing to renew your extension of stay. now if the current rate was 2m baht and you lost your grandfather status, then you would need 2m. What they really want to see is you spending your 800k and then bringing in another tranche to give them. Of course some simple manipulation can overcome this but immigration staff are a law unto their own and if they don't want to play ball, they won't. I have heard about people being told that this year will be ok but not next year for a static 800k.

Another option is to spend 10m on a condo (or in multiple condos) or invest 10m in agreed assets, including government bonds. That qualifies you for an investment visa.

Back on the question of where else to go, dare I say that this topic has come up because of worsening exchange rates and what people really mean is not where is better but rather where is cheaper ?

I think your post is pure BS. Frowned upon ? Could lead to refusal ! Then you say 2M ! What is your true intent ?:ermm: The rules for renewal are set. After my 5 years renewal never a question. Bring the right docs and its a breeze.

What , I think , cmdream is trying to say is : Thailand has become beyond the cash availability of many retirees , possibly because of exchange rates , or other cash flow reasons , the only alternative if you still desire to live in Thailand is the visa run method , but this can also become a drain on limited resources . Then one has to consider the general cost of living on a day to day basis , how much of the life-style you have become to expect and enjoy are you prepared to give up , for the rest of your waning years ? Some have opted to 'Become native ' , often relating how healthy and happy they are living like a poor Issan farmer , how many happy poor farmers have you lived with or heard about ?

The altrnatives are the reason this thread was started , there are multiple countries in this world that offer less restrictive and more relaxed life-style more condusive to your personal wants and needs . A thread recently started on TV covers the cost of living for differing life-styles , the lowest I saw was Baht 24,000 ,$750.00 , the poster still living his accepted way with his usual 'Farang ' food to boot , many poo-pooed his ability to do that , quoting large numbers that it cost them to live THEIR life-stye . One needs to sit down and record what is the minimum things they still consider neccesities in THEIR life , as you age , there are less and less actual requirements to give you happiness , decent accomodation , some of the foods you have always enjoyed , edible alternative foods that do not make you sick , limited travel etc etc etc .plus a happy environment in your daily lives .

I have mentioned before that my wife covers ALL of our requirements here in Cambodia on a budget of $550.00us , I eat mostly western style foods (some slightly modified) we eat out on occassion , I have internet in the apartment ( a life saver for me ) and we want for nothing to satisfy our day to day needs or requirements . Trips outside of the city , I pay for as I do for any considered luxury , we have purchased property and built 2 houses on it plus a couple of rice paddies and a moto to ease travelling for the family , my maximum monthly income__________$1,600.00us___________ sometimes less .

Visa is a yearly affair accomplished at a local travel agency , no hoops or disgruntled , over-bearing officialdom to deal with , there is an international airport , many super markets , parks and of course the infamous 'River-side ' that has recently been rebuilt for pedestians only and multiple bins for you to dipose of your garbage and , of course , cigarette buts . Cambodia is in fast forward mode , Thailand is retrograding itself into oblivion and becoming less and less freindly to foreigners , if you can be honest about the situation .

Some false visa information was posted here, which I will correct.

For Thailand retirement extensions for people using the money in the bank method (800K) the money seasoning requirement is TWO months (not three) for the FIRST extension, and THREE months (not two) for subsequent extensions.

I agree with the poster that COLUMBIA is going to be an up and coming expat destination, especially for North Americans. I don't think there is any type of bank account type qualifying method though to get a long term visa.

Edited by Jingthing

I think the visa run method is no longer an option...right? 90 days in, 90 days out. So...can't do what we use to here. Border runs every 30 days are a thing of the past....

In Thailand you could stay indefinitely with border runs, 15 days for a land crossing, 30 days if arriving by air. Better get a really thick passport though!