Alternative Retirement Destinations For Expats (other Than Thailand)

Tejas

This website is mostly concerned with tax havens and taxes but it also has some additional information that is informative. I have no comment on the source being good or bad you decide. I selected Argentina because it is first on the list. The list is long. http://www.panamalaw.org/offshore_retireme..._tax_guide.html

Argentina as a Retirement Haven

Embassy for Argentina in Panama - Taxation in Argentina occurs at the national and municipal levels. Their taxing authority requires bank statements to be filed with tax returns. Argentinean companies and individuals are taxed on worldwide profits and income so offshore income is not exempt and this is a bad thing when looking for a tax or retirement haven. They also have a VAT tax (the standard rate being 21%) making purchases expensive. The corporation tax rate is 35% plus there are additional local taxes. Individual tax rates go up to 35% in stages. Capital gains are included with ordinary income for taxation purposes. Argentina is in at least 15 tax treaties. Residency is relatively easy to obtain in Argentina but how in the world do you keep any money after paying their taxes? This jurisdiction might have some advantages with their relatively low cost of living if one remained there as a perpetual tourist but they have rules that make this difficult. A perpetual tourist rents not buys real estate. Renting requires a deposit equal to one or more years rent to be given to the landlord as security and you still have to pay rent. At the 11th month the landlord has your money and you only owe one month rent. It is a legal nightmare to imagine the tenant leaving and then not getting his deposit returned. Argentina is a full member of Mercosur which means you can freely travel through all the Mercosur countries on your residency card without a passport. It also means you can live in any Mercosur country without need for a visa. Crime in Argentina is relatively low. The culture is sophisticated. They country is quite large and there are different weather patterns in the country depending on where you are. Spanish is the spoken language.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tejas,

Just joined the forum because we (my wife and I) am looking at Thailand as an alternative retirement destination to Indonesia. So I am curious to know what you mean with: "many expats in Thailand are fed up with the 'system' ".

I have lived in Indonesia on a retirement visa for six years now. What we are fed up with is the beaurocracy and the tax system. What is your problem with Thailand?

We live in a small provincial university town - Salatiga. Is ok apart from the things we are fed up with. As another alternative destination in Indonesia I would recommend Malang.

Theo

Hi Tejas,

Just joined the forum because we (my wife and I) am looking at Thailand as an alternative retirement destination to Indonesia. So I am curious to know what you mean with: "many expats in Thailand are fed up with the 'system' ".

I have lived in Indonesia on a retirement visa for six years now. What we are fed up with is the beaurocracy and the tax system. What is your problem with Thailand?

We live in a small provincial university town - Salatiga. Is ok apart from the things we are fed up with. As another alternative destination in Indonesia I would recommend Malang.

Theo

Are you following the news? :)

Seriously, I could give you a long list of problems.

But this thread is not about Thailand.

It is about alternatives.

If you want a "list," email me.

Anyone tried Honduras? Particularly Roatan... aka the 'Bay Islands' ?

I was there years ago and there seemed to be lot's of land for sale signs and a budding realtors scene. Really nice place in a "Phuket in 1970" sort of way. Maybe it's already been overdeveloped? It's also in 'hurricane alley' and has taken maybe a couple of big hits in the past 10-12 years.

Edited by NanLaew

I guess we all missed it if you are planning on retireing in Thailand on $1000-$1800 a month unless you have the 800,000 in the bank you will not qualify. At the exchange rate of 32baht to the dollar you need over $2000 a month

It's going to need the 800k lump sum deposit to start with ($25,000) and to remain untouched for renewal and the $1,000 - 1,800 a month pension for living expenses.

wrong!

You mean you don't need 800k to renew after the first visa?

What he means is that simply dumping 800k in the bank and rolling out the bank book each year is frowned upon and could lead to their refusing to renew your extension of stay. now if the current rate was 2m baht and you lost your grandfather status, then you would need 2m. What they really want to see is you spending your 800k and then bringing in another tranche to give them. Of course some simple manipulation can overcome this but immigration staff are a law unto their own and if they don't want to play ball, they won't. I have heard about people being told that this year will be ok but not next year for a static 800k.

Another option is to spend 10m on a condo (or in multiple condos) or invest 10m in agreed assets, including government bonds. That qualifies you for an investment visa.

Back on the question of where else to go, dare I say that this topic has come up because of worsening exchange rates and what people really mean is not where is better but rather where is cheaper ?

Back on the question of where else to go, dare I say that this topic has come up because of worsening exchange rates and what people really mean is not where is better but rather where is cheaper ?

As the OP, I can assure you that the rate of exchange was not the primary reason for starting this thread.

The topic surfaced because many expats see Thailand as a sinking ship (many holes in the ship, including exchange rates)......even those that can afford to live here.

Again.....this thread is not about Thailand.

It is about shedding light on alternatives to Thailand.

But if all of you want to talk about Thailand..........fine.

What he means is that simply dumping 800k in the bank and rolling out the bank book each year is frowned upon and could lead to their refusing to renew your extension of stay. now if the current rate was 2m baht and you lost your grandfather status, then you would need 2m. What they really want to see is you spending your 800k and then bringing in another tranche to give them. Of course some simple manipulation can overcome this but immigration staff are a law unto their own and if they don't want to play ball, they won't. I have heard about people being told that this year will be ok but not next year for a static 800k.

Another option is to spend 10m on a condo (or in multiple condos) or invest 10m in agreed assets, including government bonds. That qualifies you for an investment visa.

First I've heard of that, but no problem, just have 2 accounts and switch the 800k between them.

That Investment Visa option was scrapped a few years ago.

Edited by PattayaParent

I am surprised at some of the reasons given/discussed about where to retire , for me it is to lead a happy and contented life , incuring the least amount of hastles along the road to my final demise .

My passports had filled rapidly with 'OTHER ' visas which had become an absolute if I wished to reside in Thailand ad finitum , so one day I said to myself "Self , why do you not just stay in one of those countries you have spent so much of your money on visiting for an hour or so merely to appease a government that does not even appreciate your actual exsistance ". I moved into Cambodia for a month and could not believe the difference in the way I was accepted by the local populace , yes , things in general were some-what arcaic by comparison , it was a step back in time considering many things , but did I NEED all of the consumerism to which I had become accustomed as I went through life ? The answer I gave to myself was a resounding NO , I had grown up in a poor family and I must confess , life had been happy and practicaly none problomatic , I had no practical need for most of the things I had accumulated as absolute essentials for a good life .

I made the move into Cambodia some 5 years ago and have watched its progress slowly but surely into the future , my health has improved eating healthy food one can consider almost organic , fruits not impaired by massive applications of fertilizers etc and a populace in the main not consumed by averice , but as happy as I had been in my early years with almost nothing to be unhappy about due to a contented state of mind . My life has become what retirement to me should be , simplistic and trouble free with a wife that fills my every need , we have properties that give sustanance to her family , a good apartment in the city with everything close at hand that we need and there is decent medical care available if and when needed . My visa is a once a year walk to a friendly travel agent , the friendly airport a half hour away without the scalpers and rip-off artists , no hustle , no bustle , to me it has become my home merely because I am truly welcomed to be here and live a life comfortable within my small means .

I would not return to Thailand if all was free , there is too much disaray to contend with and in general , money is the only guiding light to contentment of a sort I no longer require in my life .

I am surprised at some of the reasons given/discussed about where to retire , for me it is to lead a happy and contented life , incuring the least amount of hastles along the road to my final demise .

My passports had filled rapidly with 'OTHER ' visas which had become an absolute if I wished to reside in Thailand ad finitum , so one day I said to myself "Self , why do you not just stay in one of those countries you have spent so much of your money on visiting for an hour or so merely to appease a government that does not even appreciate your actual exsistance ". I moved into Cambodia for a month and could not believe the difference in the way I was accepted by the local populace , yes , things in general were some-what arcaic by comparison , it was a step back in time considering many things , but did I NEED all of the consumerism to which I had become accustomed as I went through life ? The answer I gave to myself was a resounding NO , I had grown up in a poor family and I must confess , life had been happy and practicaly none problomatic , I had no practical need for most of the things I had accumulated as absolute essentials for a good life .

I made the move into Cambodia some 5 years ago and have watched its progress slowly but surely into the future , my health has improved eating healthy food one can consider almost organic , fruits not impaired by massive applications of fertilizers etc and a populace in the main not consumed by averice , but as happy as I had been in my early years with almost nothing to be unhappy about due to a contented state of mind . My life has become what retirement to me should be , simplistic and trouble free with a wife that fills my every need , we have properties that give sustanance to her family , a good apartment in the city with everything close at hand that we need and there is decent medical care available if and when needed . My visa is a once a year walk to a friendly travel agent , the friendly airport a half hour away without the scalpers and rip-off artists , no hustle , no bustle , to me it has become my home merely because I am truly welcomed to be here and live a life comfortable within my small means .

I would not return to Thailand if all was free , there is too much disaray to contend with and in general , money is the only guiding light to contentment of a sort I no longer require in my life .

That was very well said. I have a cousin in Atlanta who has a Cambodian wife. He greatly enjoys going over to visit her family. I've considered it, but have to admit I'm not a fan of heat and humidity. I've lived in several of the most hottest, humid places in the U.S. and would just as soon avoid it. I do wish countries I'm interested in made it as easy as Cambodia does to live there. I don't need alot, but I do want access to American movies in English, and I mean theaters, not pirated dvd's. Beyond that I think Phnom Penh would be interesting.

For you people beating your gums about Thailand and the eastern suburb called Cambodia.....

http://internationalliving.com/countries/honduras/retire/

and

http://roatanet.com/

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roatán

Seems the guild isn't off that lily after what.... 15 years since I was a gigolo there? Of course, this is standard internet, in your face marketing (like a Pattaya realtors website) but maybe someone knows somebody who actually followed through and lives/lived there.

Looks like a Tourist gets 30-days on arrival and it can be extended locally up to 6 months.

A retiree must have a verifiable stipend of US$1500/month.

I was there for about 6 weeks and it was absolutely wonderful. English speaking and friendly locals (I was given easy credit at the liquor store in Coxen Hole), fresh seafood and virtually undiscovered beaches. The downsides were the piss poor wine selection which was also very high priced (tax?)so we imported our own (we came in by private plane). Also limes for the cocktails weren't indigenous and came in on boats from the mainland with a lot of the other fruit and veg. Meant getting in quick at the market to get the weeks supplies in.

I never went to the mainland so have nothing to add but having an Atlantic (Caribbean) and (tiny) Pacific coast must make for variety.

For you people beating your gums about Thailand and the eastern suburb called Cambodia.....

http://internationalliving.com/countries/honduras/retire/

and

http://roatanet.com/

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roatán

Seems the guild isn't off that lily after what.... 15 years since I was a gigolo there? Of course, this is standard internet, in your face marketing (like a Pattaya realtors website) but maybe someone knows somebody who actually followed through and lives/lived there.

Looks like a Tourist gets 30-days on arrival and it can be extended locally up to 6 months.

A retiree must have a verifiable stipend of US$1500/month.

I was there for about 6 weeks and it was absolutely wonderful. English speaking and friendly locals (I was given easy credit at the liquor store in Coxen Hole), fresh seafood and virtually undiscovered beaches. The downsides were the piss poor wine selection which was also very high priced (tax?)so we imported our own (we came in by private plane). Also limes for the cocktails weren't indigenous and came in on boats from the mainland with a lot of the other fruit and veg. Meant getting in quick at the market to get the weeks supplies in.

I never went to the mainland so have nothing to add but having an Atlantic (Caribbean) and (tiny) Pacific coast must make for variety.

So what has this hi-so style post have to do with the cost of bananas and a comfy place to retire at reasonable cost ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was there years ago and there seemed to be lot's of land for sale signs and a budding realtors scene. Really nice place in a "Phuket in 1970" sort of way. Maybe it's already been overdeveloped? It's also in 'hurricane alley' and has taken maybe a couple of big hits in the past 10-12 years.

Roatan is a lovely place to spend a few weeks, but you don't want to live there! I did from 2001-2004, built a beautiful beachfront home, which I still have, and then moved to Koh Samui in 2004. The crime there is really in your face and everyone carries guns. I saw several people shot in front of me while I was eating an ice cream cone, and both my American neighbors were shot through the head. I had armed guards 24/7 and still my house was robbed several times (probably by my guards). On the lighter side, the women are young, beautiful, and anxious to land a gringo. You won't hear anything about money for sex as a prostitute is considered lower than a murderer. Girls simply go with you and want something to eat afterwards (potato chips and a coke are fine). The Caribbean beaches are much better than anything in Thailand and the seafood is excellent. Housing/land is cheaper than resort areas like KS and Phuket, but gasoline, motorbikes ($60/day), and restaurants are more expensive. I have lived all over CA, SA, and the Caribbean and can tell you that security is always a big concern. Anyone who wants to live in Honduras better be ex SAS, Seal, or hitman, and locked and loaded.

Edited by parallaxtech

First I've heard of that, but no problem, just have 2 accounts and switch the 800k between them.

That Investment Visa option was scrapped a few years ago.

I apologize to OP for detouring, but just wanted to respond to this. Samui IO is now rejecting retirement extensions no matter how much is in your bank account. They just rejected mine with over 2MB (See thread "Nightmare at Samui Immigration."). So, nothing is for sure anymore.

Roatan is a lovely place to spend a few weeks, but you don't want to live there! I did from 2001-2004, built a beautiful beachfront home, which I still have, and then moved to Koh Samui in 2004. The crime there is really in your face and everyone carries guns. I saw several people shot in front of me while I was eating an ice cream cone, and both my American neighbors were shot through the head. I had armed guards 24/7 and still my house was robbed several times (probably by my guards). On the lighter side, the women are young, beautiful, and anxious to land a gringo. You won't hear anything about money for sex as a prostitute is considered lower than a murderer. Girls simply go with you and want something to eat afterwards (potato chips and a coke are fine). The Caribbean beaches are much better than anything in Thailand and the seafood is excellent. Housing/land is cheaper than resort areas like KS and Phuket, but gasoline, motorbikes ($60/day), and restaurants are more expensive. I have lived all over CA, SA, and the Caribbean and can tell you that security is always a big concern. Anyone who wants to live in Honduras better be ex SAS, Seal, or hitman, and locked and loaded.

Wow...interesting info. I went to Roatan about 10 years ago for a week of diving, but spent the week way out on the East end. Had to take a boat to get to the dive resort. Can't remember the name.

I remember when I was in Tegucigalpa on the way to Roatan. Spent 2 nights there just to look around. I wanted to go out the first night I was there and just look around. The hotel staff were freaked out. Telling me not to leave, it's dangerous, etc. They finally relented, but only after one of the staff was brought out to take care of me and drive me to the main market (for free)...and bring me back safely. I have to admit, after walking a block from the market, I decided enough was enough and went back to the hotel.

I love CA and SA, but unfortunately, safety is a big issue there....

figure i'll comment on Uruguay as a good friend and his girl just moved back to the US after living there.

as per OP criteria, i don't see it fitting. They lived on 2,500-3,000 USD/month and, with wanting the occasional trip elsewhere, was not nearly enough. travel anywhere is expensive. anything imported is ridiculously expensive- more so than Thailand.

it has 4 seasons and winter is quite cool and dreary.

they became bored out of their minds- that was living in Montevideo, living outside of the only real city in teh country would be mind-numbingly boring.

the availability of girls and nightlife are an OP criteria. that should kill it right there.

He got started up in a business there and it took 3 years to be able to leave. They were committed to making it work and staying but it was just too isolated, too boring and too expensive for what they wanted to do. they say if you've got a lot of disposable income to travel to Brazil and the rest of SA, it could work. they would also winter in Brazil, as winter was the worst.

Costa Rica: a great alternative with people somewhat similar to Thais- kind of that happy go lucky feel. beautiful country with a lot of variety from beaches to rainforest to higher elevations to city life. the only downside is the cost. it became so popular that the cost of living is not much different than the US. 15 years ago i would put it above Thailand, now it does not fit the criteria of the OP.

i am in a somewhat different situation to the OP in that i am looking at where i want to spend 6 months out of every year, with the remainder back in the US. Thailand was #1 by a large margin before, but after my last 3 months there, i'm not as keen on it. besides the obvious, the lying and lack of trustworthiness of the women is something i detest. good girls, bad girls- they all seem to be on the game. given that i'm looking to start a family, i don't know that a Thai girl is a safe choice! a lot of the comments i read on TV and other forums seems to reinforce my analysis (understanding there are exceptions, but not enough).

now, i am actively trying to determine an alternative, but, wanting to stay in Asia, i am finding it hard to find an alternative that, when looked at objectively, is superior. like the OP, i want a fun (ie: not boring) place and that kills many alternatives at the door. Since i need a good infrastructure (i work 5 days/week and need a SOLID high speed internet connection) and prefer city-type things to be readily available, that kills more.

i am focusing on Vietnam and The Philippines, though both seem like distant 2nd choices to Thailand when being objective. if political stability is ranked high, Vietnam would maybe rise above Thailand.

MY PLAN (and i think this is a viable approach at least in terms of other SE Asia alternatives):

research and decide on an alternative, but then do a trial run of 3-6 months before truly committing. unless you have accumulated a lot of stuff, it's practical to throw stuff in storage and take 2 large suitcases and live for several months to test the waters. that's essentially what i just did and, save for a lack of variety in my wardrobe, i found, quite to my surprise, that many of the stuff i surround myself with and think i need on a daily basis.... i don't need! kinda liberating and a good way to see if a place stacks up as well in reality as it does on paper. you can research this stuff to death (TRUST ME, i know), but there is no substitute for actual time in country. Vietnam is next up along with 2 months mini-trial in The Philippines. a weakness of pinay women and the english language being widely spoken make me think i need to at least give it a look, even though it fails on other criteria.

sorry if this drifted, but it's mostly on topic...

So what has this hi-so style post have to do with the cost of bananas and a comfy place to retire at reasonable cost ?

<deleted> is a "hi-so style post"? Haven't you ever flown in a private plane before? It aint all it's cracked up to be... sort of like living in Cambo. So you feel you are forced to live in your second choice tropical paradise. Deal with it.

Thanks for the update; nice to see that someone got the point of my post which was looking for responses from people who have lived there without needless comparisons to 'paradise lost' in LOS.

You were on Roatan about 6-10 years after I was and gave it a fair crack. It looks like it went to hel_l in a handbasket pretty quick. I recall cruising around in a Sandy Bay Jeep Rentals Suzuki at all hours and never having issues. It's a pity the gangsters have moved in with the influx of foreigners. Having armed guards certainly takes the edge off a quiet day relaxing on a secluded, pristine beach with a bottle of chilled Chablis and a local dusky maiden. As I recall, the bananas were pretty disappointing if that keeps it more relevant for some of the members here.

Just read the first 3 pages of this thread and can conclude

that the OP is a complete sh**head.

Alternative retirement destination for the OP.......................

................ how about Afganistan, Somalia or Zimbabwe.

Nice, quality reply....thanks for nothing....

I just got off the phone with a friend and she is talking about potentially living in Cypress. Does anybody have any info on Cypress? I have also heard some good things...just curious....

the island of Cyprus is divided into a Greek and a Turkish part. we lived in the (southern) Greek part of the capital Nicosia from mid 1986 till end of 1989 (when not travelling). easy to get a residence permit, authorities and most people can communicate in english, utmost friendly people, low crime rate, moderate living expenses (but much higher than Thailand), very low taxation for retirees, property and rentals quite expensive. when considering Cyprus again in 2004 nothing much had changed. what put us off where the property prices.

nobody asked you to read, I guess you can read but don't understand what you read and now want to make yourself interesting by making a sh**head comment

nobody asked you to read, I guess you can read but don't understand what you read and now want to make yourself interesting by making a sh**head comment

To Kevozman1: I am the OP. Thank you for your silly comment.

In the immortal words of Woody Allen, "I am due back on planet earth."

Can we keep the thread on topic? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (craigt3365 @ 2010-05-29 06:07:06) I just got off the phone with a friend and she is talking about potentially living in Cypress. Does anybody have any info on Cypress? I have also heard some good things...just curious....

the island of Cyprus is divided into a Greek and a Turkish part. we lived in the (southern) Greek part of the capital Nicosia from mid 1986 till end of 1989 (when not travelling). easy to get a residence permit, authorities and most people can communicate in english, utmost friendly people, low crime rate, moderate living expenses (but much higher than Thailand), very low taxation for retirees, property and rentals quite expensive. when considering Cyprus again in 2004 nothing much had changed. what put us off where the property prices.

Hey would you be more specific about the property prices which put you off ? and which is the est part you would consider to be in the republic of Cyprus(is it? or the other part?) Thanks

I'm going to check out Merida, Mexico in a couple of days. Here's why it's on my short list:

- Has indigenous (Mayan) influence along with expats and infrastructure

- Supposedly clean and functional city

- Lots of free culture in the evenings; several universities; art films

- Doesn't have cartel violence (yet?)

- Expats say you can live there comfortably for $1k-1200 US/month; some say less

- Inexpensive 2-hour flight to Houston or Miami (I plan to spend part of my time in the US)

- Good bus infrastructure to explore the region

- I speak Spanish

Some possible cons for me:

- Hot summers

- Electricity is expensive (but the location would be good for solar)

- Prices are going up as expats discover it

- No good Thai food

There's lots of helpful info from expats at these sites:

Yucatan Living - Yucatan Living welcomes you to Merida Mexico!

Yolisto: Clever Expatriates Sharing Things and Ideas in Yucatan, Mexico

I've also heard good things about San Cristobal, as another commenter mentioned. Other expats like Oaxaca, but that area is having trouble these days. Another place to consider could be Xalapa, near Veracruz (also spelled Jalapa). It's in the mountains so it's cool and has the culture of a university town.

I loved my visit to Chiang Mai but I'm still working, and most of my clients are in the US, so I need a US-friendly time zone.

QUOTE (craigt3365 @ 2010-05-29 06:07:06) I just got off the phone with a friend and she is talking about potentially living in Cypress. Does anybody have any info on Cypress? I have also heard some good things...just curious....

Hey would you be more specific about the property prices which put you off ? and which is the est part you would consider to be in the republic of Cyprus(is it? or the other part?) Thanks

it's the combination of prices and what shit² (construction and design) is offered at a ridiculously high price which put us off. please be more specific on the "est part" as i have no idea what you mean.

it's the combination of prices and what shit² (construction and design) is offered at a ridiculously high price which put us off. please be more specific on the "est part" as i have no idea what you mean.

Sorry to interrupt, but this is getting interesting.

My guess is that "est part" means eastern Cyprus vs western Cyprus.

That aside, if you have time, I would like to know about all of those islands off the coast of Turkey.............between Turkey and Cyprus (all controlled by Turkey).

Not long ago I was in the Middle East and a colleague of mine was talking about how wonderful those islands are............don't remember the names of the islands.

If you have been there and can shed light on them as possible retirement destinations, your input would be appreciated.

We were on a few Greek islands 2 years ago, and went to Turkey via Kos. Most of those islands are controlled by Greece and are VERY touristy. Prices reflect that. We only hit 3...and there are dozens! I am sure it would be a wonderful trip to explore those islands...off season!

Sorry to interrupt, but this is getting interesting.

My guess is that "est part" means eastern Cyprus vs western Cyprus.

That aside, if you have time, I would like to know about all of those islands off the coast of Turkey.............between Turkey and Cyprus (all controlled by Turkey).

Not long ago I was in the Middle East and a colleague of mine was talking about how wonderful those islands are............don't remember the names of the islands.

If you have been there and can shed light on them as possible retirement destinations, your input would be appreciated.

My guess is he left the b out of 'best part'