Bank Draft

old technology my friend,, takes a minimum of 1 month to clear... internet banking or swift transfer is in your accountwithin 48 hours.. or western union (expensive fees) is immediate, well 1 hour..

it's the fees i'm tryin to avoid :)

old technology my friend,, takes a minimum of 1 month to clear... internet banking or swift transfer is in your accountwithin 48 hours.. or western union (expensive fees) is immediate, well 1 hour..

Used bank drafts many times. Highly recommended. Cheap and almost as quick as electronic methods. You just pay in the cheque at the other end and the money's available more or less immediately. Personal cheques do take much longer, but bank drafts don't.

CMMCB

Natwest charge me a mere ₤15 and up to a maximum of 500 Baht from Bangkok Bank for a transfer.

It is safely in my account the following day.

I transferred GBP 25k into my Thai account at the beginning of September last year by NatWest bank draft. I (mistakenly) thought this would mean instantly-cleared funds. Not true. The funds were guaranteed to be available but NOT instantly. It was 5 weeks - mid-October - before the funds were credited to my account.

Both Bangkok Bank & NatWest said that it was usual for drafts to take up to 6 weeks to clear, when I queried the time involved.

In contrast, electronic transfer between the same accounts saw the cash transferred in 4 days, for 12 quid (if I remember correctly) or next day for a few quid more.

If I hadn't transferred additional funds electronically, I'd have been up shit creek when it came to my first retirement extension in early December.

EDIT - the draft fee was 25 quid.

Edited by MartinL

If you have someone in the London or New York who can do this for you from their end, have them buy a cashiers cheque from Bangkok Bank in either of those two places, drawn on Bangkok Bank Bangkok, in foreign currency or in Thai Baht (preferably the former) and courier it over - the cheque will clear the same day when cashed or deposited.