More Food Talk!

aussiechick

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question too.

However, not a bad price.

It is a shame about the location of Jamesons.

I hear the food is mediocre.

Jameson's is actually easiest to get to if you come up from Second Road, turn right just past Greg's Kitchen.

The food has always been good at Jameson's, and big portions, but the last couple of times I've been the quality and quantity has not been as good as their usual high standard and the prices have increased. And with the reduction in the menu choices I assume it's a cost cutting measure so now I don't feel they are providing good value for money.

Jameson's was never a cheap place to eat but I always felt I was getting value for money before.

I know Jameson's changed their menu at the request / assistance of the regulars. I just looked up their menu on their website and found it has: 2 soups, 6 starters. 12 main course, plus sandwiches, burger, All Day Breakfast (as opposed to the breakfast specials that go until 1:00p.m.) and 5 desserts! That is not including the Thai Menu.

I know they took off the Beer and Guinness pie but I really think their menu does cover everyone. Then Saturday is Curry Night and Sunday is the carvery.

I took 2 friends there last week and they were impressed with the quality and quantity of the food presented. But as I said earlier "one mans delicacy is another mans poison".

Luckily we have enough (more than) restaurants /cafes to keep everybody happy :)

Unfortunately some of the more dissapointing meals I have had in Pattaya have been in Jamesons, you go in expecting a good standard of food but on many occasions Jamesons dissapoints, much better fare in the P & W IMO.

Also the carvery has to be one of the more dissapointing carvery's in town, nowhere near as good as the Sportsmans on Soi 13.

I can second that from a one-off experience 3 years ago. Went for their New Year's Eve Carvery...THE worst I have ever had and never went back to that place.

We are lucky in Pattaya that there is a massive cjoice of food and places to go.Never been to Shen,s mainly because i havent come 6,000 miles to eat in a supposed Irish bar.I love indian food but of course i would go to an indian restaraunt,which will be about the same size and better.

I do understand that people stick to farang food in Thailand but not for me,sorry,thai food far nicer and healthier than farang.However i do stuff me gob with an english brekkie,at Sesider, about once a month and it bleeding kills me guts,even though i can eat pet pet,english food wrecks me now.

Interesting to hear that the Sportsman has a great carvery. Went there once - not for carvery night, but just for off-the-menu dinner - and was not impressed. When is their carvery served? May be worth another try.

so, is the curry a proper 'indian' or a some English abortion which is the norm around town...... i would like to go for a proper Indian hot curry without all the drama. ie pushy types from jinglystan or where-ever they come from... just get the curry out mate, don't want to tell you my life story !!

Regarding, Jamesons do they still have their daily specials as well, for example beef pie on Wednesdays, and F&C on Fridays?

New Indian alert. There is a new Indian place a bit south of Soi Diana on 2nd, Tandoori House or such like, and I looked at their menu. Good prices, good pictures, and some dishes you won't easily find everywhere. I haven't tried as yet but I am hopeful. BTW, I tried that South Indian place across from Central again, only had a dosa but it was a major league greaseball, too bad.

Jamesons at Christmas is a great place for an early special with kids. great decorations and friendly staff. The specials have always been good value ( for me ) and the regulars are a friendly and useful source of local information. Fully understand that the boss's table looks a tad intimidating, but all said and done, he is the boss so I suppose his little foibles are semi-acceptable.

Sorry Jingthing but the weekly special has replaced the daily special. As I stated earlier the regular customers wanted most of the changes and the boss listened! I am sure over the year there will be other changes made. (I want bread and butter pudding back!!!)

suiging - boss's table intimidating? nah - just that they can really drink - DO NOT get involved in rounds of drinks - you will never leave! (I know this)

William Osborne - curry - I have not tried it yet - but from all reports there is a variety of styles - as usual when I have tried I will write it up, as I find it.

somtampet - I live here - I love Thai food but you do need your "home" dose on occassion. I must admit I cannot eat Thai food for breakfast (if I have breakfast) but I would eat Thai food at least 5 times a week then I want bangers and mash or similar!!

Tarqin - enjoy Goa and please don't feel that you have to rush back here :)

Thanks AC. I think they made a mistake dropping the daily specials (from a customers point of view). They were very popular. Sounds like they listed to the complainers rather than the happy customers who didn't bother commenting because they were satisfied ...

Edited by Jingthing

so, is the curry a proper 'indian' or a some English abortion which is the norm around town...... i would like to go for a proper Indian hot curry without all the drama. ie pushy types from jinglystan or where-ever they come from... just get the curry out mate, don't want to tell you my life story !!

As I said I have not managed to get there on a Saturday night but here is the ad:

post-55814-1268980387_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussiechick

eeekkk ... 395 baht, bit out of my price range :D i can't enjoy food if i pay over 300 baht for it ... keep thinking of all the Thai youngsters living on 30 baht a day :)

It is a bit steep, but if you starve yourself all-day Friday and then Saturday until 5.00pm then you can get your moneys worth.

TBH, I find the portions in these type bars way too big... end up feeling bloated and completely ruins my follow up drinking session with 15 bottles of San Mig Lite... :)

If you were really on a budget you would go for Saeng Som Soda...and think about all the poor sods that cannot afford San Mig... :D

TBH, I find the portions in these type bars way too big... end up feeling bloated and completely ruins my follow up drinking session with 15 bottles of San Mig Lite... :)

Many if not most of our members would complain loudly and bitterly if they couldn't pig out on overlarge portions.

But me, I'm with you. So just ask the server to have half the meal boxed up to take home for lunch the next day. No problem. For two meals, the price becomes much more reasonable.

BTW - For all you people that complained about the Beef and Guiness Pie being taken of the menu - due to demands (and threats) it will be back next month.

Please don't start that there won't be any guinness as I am sure whatever is used as a substitute will be fine.

A scottish term apparently.

Would like someone to sample the curry night and report back if possible....anybody?

I would like to try if good on my next visit.

Oh and i don"t understand this dingy little soi thing,i thought all soi's in Pattaya where dingy and who is interested in outside a bar unless your drinking near the beach.

Horses for courses, nice to get away from the constant hassles sometime and these sort of bars are ideal for a relaxing drink and uninterrupted craic! :) The table thing is a bit strange though!!

Oh and i don"t understand this dingy little soi thing,i thought all soi's in Pattaya where dingy and who is interested in outside a bar unless your drinking near the beach.

I think at night-time, pedestrian access to Jameson's will take you down some dark and dingy Sois that are both unlit and minacious.

Edited by syd barrett

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would put up the menu for this week:

Jameson’s Weekly Set Menu

(05 – 11 April 2010)

From midday to midnight

3 courses 255 Baht / 2 courses 230 Baht / 1 course 195 Baht

STARTER

Seafood Soup

Or

Cauliflower & Potato Cheese

Or

Tomato & Cucumber Vinaigrette Salad

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MAIN COURSE

Beef Lasagne

Or

Pork Chop

With grilled tomato, corn on the cob and Jameson’s French fries

Or

Sauté Fillet of Red Snapper in a Lemon Sauce

With peas and boiled potatoes

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DESSERT

Chocolate Trifle

(Alcohol was definitely used making this dessert)

Or

Baked Apple with Custard

(Stuffed with raisins)

Or

Selection of Ice Creams

“This menu can be served within 45 minutes if you’re in a hurry”