Nissan March

rixalex

Thanks for those figures. I find them surprising. In my area i see far more Jazz's than City's, although i guess to be fair, since the new City was released, they are becoming a more common sight.

Ditto - thanks for that, MRO.

Its a similar story around me (Pattaya - Sattahip - Rayong) where Jazz's outnumber City's and Yaris' outnumber Vios'. My guess is that most sales must be in Bangkok, where things are always different. Its actually a surprisingly similar story with small bikes - here the preference is for autos, like Clicks, whereas in Bangkok I think you see more with gears, like Sonics.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report in the BP on the nissan march today. Reported FC was 12 - 17 km/l. I think the 20 km/l is when the auto stop is used (and the air cond can't be used at the same time as this). Many cars in the b segment seem to return similar mileage, albeit are a little more expensive.

Report in the BP on the nissan march today. Reported FC was 12 - 17 km/l. I think the 20 km/l is when the auto stop is used (and the air cond can't be used at the same time as this). Many cars in the b segment seem to return similar mileage, albeit are a little more expensive.

"Whatever transmission type, the March returned expected fuel economy figures during the driving trials held in Phuket last week. Around the city, we managed some 12kpl rising to 17kpl outside, which is more or less what we once achieved in the Savvy."

Just read the article quickly.. great find ! But I am disappointed with the lack of technical details on how they measured fuel consumption... "Whatever transmission type,...?" what kind of reporting is that? I'm sure that the auto will consume more than the manual... but still, they didn't mention which transmission they used to give those "12kpl - 17kpl" numbers. Furthermore, how where they driving ie: highway, small roads, traffic density, average speed, etc.etc.

It was overall an entertaining article to read, but I wish they could be more scientific in giving numbers.

"Whatever transmission type, the March returned expected fuel economy figures during the driving trials held in Phuket last week. Around the city, we managed some 12kpl rising to 17kpl outside, which is more or less what we once achieved in the Savvy."

Just read the article quickly.. great find ! But I am disappointed with the lack of technical details on how they measured fuel consumption... "Whatever transmission type,...?" what kind of reporting is that? I'm sure that the auto will consume more than the manual... but still, they didn't mention which transmission they used to give those "12kpl - 17kpl" numbers. Furthermore, how where they driving ie: highway, small roads, traffic density, average speed, etc.etc.

It was overall an entertaining article to read, but I wish they could be more scientific in giving numbers.

by reding the BP article on March, I can understand why March has been so visible in Phuket past few weeks. Journalists on testrides :)

of the 160 countrys March is to be sold in, only LOS has started sales of March. approx 130k less than Yaris for similar spec/performance car is just a bargain. unfortanately this year the waiting for an auto with airbags and abs seems to be 4-6 months at 500k baht

for a small engine like this, using aircon hugely increases fuel consumption, so I belive achieving 20 kml is only doable without running aircon thus using idlestop feature on auto models

Edited by katabeachbum

by reding the BP article on March, I can understand why March has been so visible in Phuket past few weeks. Journalists on testrides :)

of the 160 countrys March is to be sold in, only LOS has started sales of March. approx 130k less than Yaris for similar spec/performance car is just a bargain. unfortanately this year the waiting for an auto with airbags and abs seems to be 4-6 months at 500k baht

for a small engine like this, using aircon hugely increases fuel consumption, so I belive achieving 20 kml is only doable without running aircon thus using idlestop feature on auto models

It's correct that the March is on sale only in LOS for the moment, but they are expected to export to various countries as we speak. Rumor has it that demand is so high it's putting people off because they have to wait too long.... rumor... i don't know if it's true. Mine is due in June, top of line.. i hope they can deliver on time.

I'm hoping someone does a "proper" test on fuel consumption,... as close to "real world" as possible.

It seems quite a lot of people like the Nissan March - unfortunately!

I've just put myself down for the 1.2E Manual Transmission model today (425,000 + 7,000 for pearlescent white paint). I've been informed that I should be able to take delivery sometime in October or November, with luck... I guess it gives me plenty of time to look forward to it arriving!

Just as a bit more info for anyone interested in this car. I was impressed with the spec of a car at this price. It comes with:

electric windows and mirrors, central locking, a decent stereo with speakers in all 4 doors and an MP3 player input, ABS brakes and auto brake pressure balancing, driver's airbag, a drivers seat with a fully adjustable base (in/out and tilt) in addition to the normal back adjustment, and intermittent wiper with variable speed adjustment.

Admittedly not amazing, but pretty good for a car in this category. Also, not that small at all inside; apparently more spacious than a Ford Fiesta or Mazda 2. None of my family suffer from gargantuan proportions (...okay, we are all quite small :) ) so for us it will be fine. I've got to say it's great to see some benefits from having an arse closer to the ground. I guess you big folk had better get your wallets out... :D :D :D

approx 130k less than Yaris for similar spec/performance car is just a bargain.

Hardly "similar spec" if you look at (and try out) the cars, rather than just read the spec sheets. The only similar thing appears to be the mileage!

It seems quite a lot of people like the Nissan March - unfortunately!

I've just put myself down for the 1.2E Manual Transmission model today (425,000 + 7,000 for pearlescent white paint). I've been informed that I should be able to take delivery sometime in October or November, with luck... I guess it gives me plenty of time to look forward to it arriving!

Just as a bit more info for anyone interested in this car. I was impressed with the spec of a car at this price. It comes with:

electric windows and mirrors, central locking, a decent stereo with speakers in all 4 doors and an MP3 player input, ABS brakes and auto brake pressure balancing, driver's airbag, a drivers seat with a fully adjustable base (in/out and tilt) in addition to the normal back adjustment, and intermittent wiper with variable speed adjustment.

Admittedly not amazing, but pretty good for a car in this category. Also, not that small at all inside; apparently more spacious than a Ford Fiesta or Mazda 2. None of my family suffer from gargantuan proportions (...okay, we are all quite small :) ) so for us it will be fine. I've got to say it's great to see some benefits from having an arse closer to the ground. I guess you big folk had better get your wallets out... :D :D :D

Congrats !! Delivery time in October or November for the manual !!! Gosh... I thought the long delivery times was only for the auto's.

We were among the first to place an order and we're still waiting. The dealer keeps giving us new dates, those pass, and then they say they really don't know.... They did tell us our color is a longer wait (the copper orange), as it's the most popular. I have started to see a few in black pop up on the roads.

It's no problem for us as it's just an extra car in the family, but they are evidently swamped. The BP review article said they had sold over 8,000 units the first month.

Hardly "similar spec" if you look at (and try out) the cars, rather than just read the spec sheets. The only similar thing appears to be the mileage!

being owner of a 2006 yaris G Limited, I d say performance and other spec is rather similar. Yaris is a little wider making it almost possible to seat 3 in the rear, and 4 inches longer. Milage and emission for Yaris is not very impressing.

I like the auto climate control aircon on 500k March, which is not availabale on Yaris in LOS

Our March will also be our second car, serving as our daily commute. I'm hoping our dealer won't change the dates on us.

does anyone know if March comes from a new plant or production line? Just cant figure out why they are not up to 3-400 units a day. If its an all new plant or line, I can understand it takes time to train new staff, but if its same as Tiida, Teana and Navara, I dont get it

Our March will also be our second car, serving as our daily commute. I'm hoping our dealer won't change the dates on us.

does anyone know if March comes from a new plant or production line? Just cant figure out why they are not up to 3-400 units a day. If its an all new plant or line, I can understand it takes time to train new staff, but if its same as Tiida, Teana and Navara, I dont get it

From reading various articles online, since from a few months back... I believe that the March is from a brand new plant. Why they are not producing the amount needed is beyond me. The numbers itself.. 8000 ordered during the motor show... 2000 or so pre-orders,... is just un-impressive, in-terms of a global view, or even regional view.

Example: Honda Marysville plan can produce 440,000 vehicles annually. (www.ohio.honda.com)... thats about 36,600 per month.

We probably have most of tasks done by hand, slower speed.

If Nissan doesn't ramp up production, they'll start loosing customers quick. The Thailand plant is supposed to export to our ASEAN countries, as well as, meet the domestic demands... so, really, they better get their act together.

From reading various articles online, since from a few months back... I believe that the March is from a brand new plant. Why they are not producing the amount needed is beyond me. The numbers itself.. 8000 ordered during the motor show... 2000 or so pre-orders,... is just un-impressive, in-terms of a global view, or even regional view.

Example: Honda Marysville plan can produce 440,000 vehicles annually. (www.ohio.honda.com)... thats about 36,600 per month.

We probably have most of tasks done by hand, slower speed.

If Nissan doesn't ramp up production, they'll start loosing customers quick. The Thailand plant is supposed to export to our ASEAN countries, as well as, meet the domestic demands... so, really, they better get their act together.

working one shift, they should have an output of 3-400 units/day, but for a new plant with a new model it usually takes some months to be there. They also seem to have problems with their suppliers, since the auto (Aisin?) is coming slowly. Hopefully they demand more from the autosupplyer than Honda did with their CVT in City/Jazz. Fortunately they seem to give priority to quality over volume

being owner of a 2006 yaris G Limited, I d say performance and other spec is rather similar. Yaris is a little wider making it almost possible to seat 3 in the rear, and 4 inches longer. Milage and emission for Yaris is not very impressing.

I like the auto climate control aircon on 500k March, which is not availabale on Yaris in LOS

wider 3 cm, longer 0.5 cm

March 3.78 x 1.665 x 1.515

Yaris 3.785 x 1.695 x 1.52

Are those interior or exterior dimensions? I have yet to sit in a Yaris,.... possibly do that sometime soon.

Edited by indothai

sorry, took the measures from my memory, I m getting old :)

so we re talking same size car, except an inch on with

• 2 weeks later...
I'm talking in an overall sense. The actual figures for Q1 2010 are as follows (these are the national sales figures):

Vios: 12,096

City: 8,439

Mazda 2: 3,492

Jazz: 3,333

Yaris: 3,017

Thanks for those figures. I find them surprising. In my area i see far more Jazz's than City's, although i guess to be fair, since the new City was released, they are becoming a more common sight.

Toyota suspending one of the plants in Thailand because of falling demand:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTOE64D01Y20100514

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/econom...nt-in-two-weeks

just an FYI

Cars in Thailand are so boring. <snip>

I think the consumers here just don't know how to demand better quality and wider range of products.

Thailand has 500K new vehicle sales per year (of which ~50% are pickups) with a ~62M population, in a country where you need 100+ dealerships to have a proper dealer network - these just aren't the kind of statistics that give you any freedom in your product mix unfortunately. Couple that with nonsensical excise taxes, and the fact that the overwhelming majority of sales happen at the absolute bottom of the market, and there's just simply no way to make a business case for a more diverse product mix :)

By comparison, Australia with just ~22M population buys 1M new vehicles/year. USA with 310M population is now approaching 10M sales per year. I don't have the latest stats for Japan handy ATM, but last time I looked they were about the same volume as the USA, but with just a 127M population.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to order a March for November delivery with 2 x airbags, abs and auto, which is approx 500k. Anyone ordered similar, and what kind of freebes, insurance, etc can I get? Expecting to pay 25% down to avoid need of thai guarantor, any promotion on finance interest?

Does anyone know if my Mugen 15" rims from Yaris fits?

I am going to order a March for November delivery with 2 x airbags, abs and auto, which is approx 500k. Anyone ordered similar, and what kind of freebes, insurance, etc can I get? Expecting to pay 25% down to avoid need of thai guarantor, any promotion on finance interest?

V cvt in Phuket is 507.000, ad 3500 for transportation, ad 5.000 for tax/reg, ad 15.366 for insurance and finally ad 7.000 for white. Thats 537.866 baht and they throw in lisenceplate frames and window film of unknown brandname and quality. Interest is 2,99%. Can not promise delivery this year. anyone done better? :)

in comparison a Vios is exactly 100k more for same equipment level, but a much larger rearset and trunk. order in september for november delivery and interest is presently 2,45%.

I did not order March today, and I will not at this price

V cvt in Phuket is 507.000, ad 3500 for transportation, ad 5.000 for tax/reg, ad 15.366 for insurance and finally ad 7.000 for white. Thats 537.866 baht and they throw in lisenceplate frames and window film of unknown brandname and quality. Interest is 2,99%. Can not promise delivery this year. anyone done better? :)

in comparison a Vios is exactly 100k more for same equipment level, but a much larger rearset and trunk. order in september for november delivery and interest is presently 2,45%.

Sorry i can't offer any specific advice but my feeling is that the March makes sense in terms of the entry level and mid-range model. The top of the range model however is creeping too close to the likes of the Jazz to make it worthwhile. Is there no way a mid-range model with some extras could satisfy you katabeachbum?

Sorry i can't offer any specific advice but my feeling is that the March makes sense in terms of the entry level and mid-range model. The top of the range model however is creeping too close to the likes of the Jazz to make it worthwhile. Is there no way a mid-range model with some extras could satisfy you katabeachbum?

Its gonna be a GF car/ family and friends car/ rentalcar for tenants, but in this size of car 2 x airbags is a must to survive a crash, as in Vios, Yaris, Jazz, City. Altis Corolla is large enough to manage without airbags

Edited by katabeachbum

Cars in Thailand are so boring. <snip>

I think the consumers here just don't know how to demand better quality and wider range of products.

Thailand has 500K new vehicle sales per year (of which ~50% are pickups) with a ~62M population, in a country where you need 100+ dealerships to have a proper dealer network - these just aren't the kind of statistics that give you any freedom in your product mix unfortunately. Couple that with nonsensical excise taxes, and the fact that the overwhelming majority of sales happen at the absolute bottom of the market, and there's just simply no way to make a business case for a more diverse product mix :)

By comparison, Australia with just ~22M population buys 1M new vehicles/year. USA with 310M population is now approaching 10M sales per year. I don't have the latest stats for Japan handy ATM, but last time I looked they were about the same volume as the USA, but with just a 127M population.

I really disagree with you on this. After watching the car market here for 20 years my observations are:

Taxes are a smokescreen. As the currency has moved drastically up and down in the last 10 years we have not seen any corresponding reduction in new car prices. Taxes may be from 30% to 200% but this is not being applied even remotely accurately as seen in the last 2 – 3 years as prices should have come down in line with the weak pound or dollar etc.

Engine size and bhp issues. Again this seems completely arbitrary as the mini with a small engine and low bhp is priced excessively high, due to what? There are many examples of this high pricing by led by perceived socio-demand.

Range of cars. The marketing machine and public perception has molded the demand with saloon auto’s favored even by the young demographic. This is in total contrast to international norms, there are no affordable hot hatches or coupes in this market. Everything is pre-ordered in auto form further dumbing down the market. Thai’s have limited knowledge that the big manufactures have a much wider range and these models are just not introduced here.

Pick up trucks. These are predominantly bought as a cheap alternatives to passenger cars. The theory that they need the load space is a myth as seen by 99% of empty picks up in the daily Bangkok commute.

Its gonna be a GF car/ family and friends car/ rentalcar for tenants, but in this size of car 2 x airbags is a must to survive a crash, as in Vios, Yaris, Jazz, City. Altis Corolla is large enough to manage without airbags

Of course we are all different and all have a different take on the risks in life we are prepared to take. Some people no doubt wouldn't drive a car if it only had two airbags and would demand at least half a dozen. For me, i've driven so many cars without and of course have riden / ride motorbikes which are infinitely more dangerous than cars without airbags, and so for me i would take the risk if i felt the car was a good buy in other respects.

Of course if money was no object in this world we would all demand 20 or 30 airbags. For most of us however, it is.

Of course we are all different and all have a different take on the risks in life we are prepared to take. Some people no doubt wouldn't drive a car if it only had two airbags and would demand at least half a dozen. For me, i've driven so many cars without and of course have riden / ride motorbikes which are infinitely more dangerous than cars without airbags, and so for me i would take the risk if i felt the car was a good buy in other respects.

Of course if money was no object in this world we would all demand 20 or 30 airbags. For most of us however, it is.

partly agree, since I ride my Ninja 650R at 120 kmh without helmet wearing shorts and slippers :)

but since the auto March starts at 450k anyway, I went up to the 507k March to get the airbags. I probably wont drive it myself, but cant see my kids in an accident without airbags saving 50k baht

as for pricing, Vios auto with good spec but no ABS/airbags is only 540k all included, less than 70k more than March auto without airbags.

Money is an object, but Vios is much more of a car at only 70k baht more.

All the xtras for March is making it compete with B-segment, and not being able to promise 6 months delivery is a killer

partly agree, since I ride my Ninja 650R at 120 kmh without helmet wearing shorts and slippers :)

Slippers?! I do hope you don't mean the big fluffy type that are three sizes too small for you, that you pinch off the missus when in a rush and can't be arsed to find your own... cos that would be seriously uncool.. :D

but since the auto March starts at 450k anyway,

Bog standard model (without auto) is 375,000 isn't it... and mid-range (without auto) 425,000. Such a small car can't really see the need for auto myself.

I probably wont drive it myself, but cant see my kids in an accident without airbags saving 50k baht

Your kids sit up front?

All the xtras for March is making it compete with B-segment, and not being able to promise 6 months delivery is a killer

The slow delivery is unforgivable from Nissan. No excuse for it. They must be losing money hand over fist from all the customers who can't be bothered to wait.

Well Rixalex, the slippers are pink and fluffy, but I dare not admit they fit and belong to me :)

My kids living in my homecountry are 20, 22 and 24 years old, so when they are not driving they prefere to sit up front

Auto is a must for people coming here on holiday from leftside steering wheel driving in maniac LOS traffic

We dont need this car until November/December, but they are not even able to promise that if ordering now, so whith the small price difference 70k baht, Toyotas service and aftermarket network, and more rearset- and trunk -space, boring Vios it will be.

Well Rixalex, the slippers are pink and fluffy, but I dare not admit they fit and belong to me :D

:D Secret is safe with me.

My kids living in my homecountry are 20, 22 and 24 years old,

Kids? More commonly known i think as adults. :)

Just an update. We have a March on order from a local dealer and last week received a letter directly from Nissan Thailand, apologizing for the late deliveries, stating overwhelming orders, etc.., anyway, they said the cars are being delivered by queue numbers (date order placed), and that ours will be delivered next month... We'll see....

Meanwhile, I agree with the recent discussions above @Katabeachbum, etc., that the top March models too closely match pricing on Jazz, Yaris and Mazda 2, Vios, City, and I would not buy a top model as the true B class are a better value at the higher price.. We ordered the 425,000 Baht manual tranny model, and don't have the airbag concerns of some others perhaps.