Songkran - Bus To Bangkok, Will There Be More Passengers ?

healthcaretaker

If you are thanking of traveling during this period you had better get your ticket now and it may be to late. This is the busiest time of year for public transportation.

Since Songkran is 13th to 16th, if I travel on 14th or 15th night, will there be less passengers ?

Thailand bus don't have online booking, I cannot buy it until 13th afternoon when I arrive Chinagmai, what's my chance ? I must get to Bangkok by 16th morning latest.

If you are thanking of traveling during this period you had better get your ticket now and it may be to late. This is the busiest time of year for public transportation.

Since Songkran is 13th to 16th, if I travel on 14th or 15th night, will there be less passengers ?

Thailand bus don't have online booking, I cannot buy it until 13th afternoon when I arrive Chinagmai, what's my chance ? I must get to Bangkok by 16th morning latest.

Go to the station and buy it now or don't travel unless you plane to walk.

13 and 14 itself may be slightly lighter.

Thailand bus don't have online booking, I cannot buy it until 13th afternoon when I arrive Chinagmai, what's my chance ?

You can buy the ticket from anywhere where your bus company has an office or booth. For example you could buy the Chiang Mai to Bangkok ticket in Bangkok at the bus station. Assuming you don't speak Thai, you can also have someone call the bus company to make a booking, though bookings are iffy for this period so you'd want to pay money and get a real ticket ASAP.

Probably less than 5%! Busiest time of year. May be too late already.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun HealthCareTaker,

We defer to the good advices you've already had here. But we'd like to point out two things :

1. the mass migration pre-Songkraan is from Bangkok and Chiang Mai out to the provinces. Once Songkraan is over the migration is back from the provinces to Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

a. which may mean that every bus from Chiang Mai might be booked because people are returning home to areas near Bangkok : or it may not. Suggest you visit the bus station, and ask for information asap.

2. Songkraan is a period of drunkenness, slaughter on the highways, and traffic fatalities on a large-scale. we wouldn't want to take a long bus ride, or drive, anywhere during Songkraan.

Injuries sustained as a result of aggressive water-throwing, etc. in Chiang Mai are another story. Last year we were told by a neurologist that all sixteen neurologists would be on call during every day of Songkraan in anticipation of many head injuries.

You may wish to check out this ThaiVisa thread from 2009 : Songraan Fatalities and Accidents 2009

Hope you find the transportation you need; we recommend flying.

best, ~o:37;