Sods Law. Murphy's Law

pop3

Ive just been reading with interest a post on here about a cursed computer :)

Reading it made me think about my daily life in general. I have always been the sort of guy that if I go to buy something and there is only two left in the shop and I have to make a choice of which one to buy I will choose the one that has something missing in the box.

If I go to a restaurant the meal I want will be off the menu as they have just sold the last one to the guy sitting next to me.

If theres a choice of 10 wash hand basins then the one I walk up to will be the one that has no water. you know the kind of thing. we call it sods law or Murphys law. does anyone els get more than their fair share of this ?

Oh it has happened so often, last time at around 1 pm today:

See something on sale for a REALLY good price however it is not needed right now and/or the spare money is not available right now. Very short time later the need for said item arises and/or money becomes available - rush to the place and hear "Sorry sir, last one sold a few minutes ago".

Try to get a ticket from the machine at the BTS station - 35 Baht, you HAVE 35 Baht in coins but one of the coins won't stay in the machine. You try 600 times and it keeps coming through. You have to leave the machine, que up at the coin exchange and que up again at the ticket machine. All coins will work now - even if you use your original coins.

You reach the platform only to see the train JUST close it's doors and get on it's merry way - without you.

Cash deposit machines - so far exactly every single time i used them (a good many times that is) one of the notes is rejected. Always.

It is midnight and for some reason you feel the urge for a Cornetto strawberry ice cream. You walk to the closest 7-Eleven - they have all sorts of Cornetto, except, of course, strawberry. The same goes for Fanta "orange". Or anything that is typically available in several different flavours.

Ok so you live on the 6th floor and want to do some rpair on your motorbike down in the underground car park. The lift is out of order and the repairmen are working on it. You know what tools and materials you need, you double and triple check, then you walk downstairs and start working. You are almost done - and one screw or nut falls down and rolls all the six meters to the gutter cover. It stops exactly at the rim and waits there for you to get close, soooooo close - before it drops inside. Now you can walk up 7 floors and down 7 floors to get one @#$!! screw/nut. (if you thought about such possibility and brought spare screws/nuts it will be a wire that breaks, requiring electric tape - or some plastic thingy, requiring the super glue - and if you bothered bringing your entire tool box and all available materials then you will forget the key for the bike.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Oh it has happened so often, last time at around 1 pm today:

See something on sale for a REALLY good price however it is not needed right now and/or the spare money is not available right now. Very short time later the need for said item arises and/or money becomes available - rush to the place and hear "Sorry sir, last one sold a few minutes ago".

Try to get a ticket from the machine at the BTS station - 35 Baht, you HAVE 35 Baht in coins but one of the coins won't stay in the machine. You try 600 times and it keeps coming through. You have to leave the machine, que up at the coin exchange and que up again at the ticket machine. All coins will work now - even if you use your original coins.

You reach the platform only to see the train JUST close it's doors and get on it's merry way - without you.

Cash deposit machines - so far exactly every single time i used them (a good many times that is) one of the notes is rejected. Always.

It is midnight and for some reason you feel the urge for a Cornetto strawberry ice cream. You walk to the closest 7-Eleven - they have all sorts of Cornetto, except, of course, strawberry. The same goes for Fanta "orange". Or anything that is typically available in several different flavours.

Ok so you live on the 6th floor and want to do some rpair on your motorbike down in the underground car park. The lift is out of order and the repairmen are working on it. You know what tools and materials you need, you double and triple check, then you walk downstairs and start working. You are almost done - and one screw or nut falls down and rolls all the six meters to the gutter cover. It stops exactly at the rim and waits there for you to get close, soooooo close - before it drops inside. Now you can walk up 7 floors and down 7 floors to get one @#$!! screw/nut. (if you thought about such possibility and brought spare screws/nuts it will be a wire that breaks, requiring electric tape - or some plastic thingy, requiring the super glue - and if you bothered bringing your entire tool box and all available materials then you will forget the key for the bike.

Best regards.....

Thanh

:):D So true.

I get tons of this all the time. I just made an eye doctors appointment and then got called to work a half hour later, this has happened 2 times in a row now and the doctor doesn't want to deal with me anymore.

quote /you know the kind of thing. we call it sods law or Murphys law. does anyone els get more than their fair share of this ? /guote

Absolutely...sigh... my ISP will have been great all week, no outages, until 2 minutes before my regular videoconference back in the States.

The question always comes to mind: Why can't life be unfair in my favor for once? And then a big voice comes from the heavens and says, "I don't know, but something about you just pisses me off!"

I get the opposite, things usually go my way with the exception of a few hiccups here and there: car wreck first time I took my car out for a spin when I was 16, the usual stuck/snowed in Detroit or Minn./St. Paul flight thing (glad I switched airlines since), etc. I think I had a faulty bum gun out of like 8 sprayers from Homeworks recently. Sprayed water in three directions. Didn't even bother returning it and just had someone pick me up another one. Mission accomplished.

:)

Dropped my toast this morning, and yes butter side down, sod’s law…..”<deleted>” I shout! Wife says, what’s wrong? I tell her, she I should have put the butter on the other side!!!!!!! Thai law.

Know the feeling - went into a go-go bar the other evening

and of all the lovelies on offer I had to pick the one with a

twin sister and ended up having to go for a threesome.

It really is an unfair world out there.

Edited by dick turpin

Well it's nice to hear Im not alone on this. I know everybody at certain times experiences sods law but it does sound like a few others have more than their fair share of it too. :)

Like a while back when my TV broke down. I thought to myself never mind I will simply watch the other one till it comes back from the repair shop, no chance, the next day the other TV packed up too.

Happened only yesterday.

Rather hot here in Kan so was having a nice cool shower.

Got myself nice and wet and started working the soap into a lather.

Turned the water off whilst doing so as I like to preserve the environment/hate waste etc etc.

Turned the water back on and nothing.

Water had gone awol in the time I had soaped myself.

Had to wipe all the soap off with the towel, go downstairs, open the water tank and switch on the pump to finish my shower.

Yep, go and do the business in a public loo, reach over and there is only one sheet of paper left on the role, and the squirt gun doesn't work.

Sod it! :)

I had similar in the office bog, didn't notice the lack of paper and there is no bum gun. I had to resort to the hand scoop procedure. I could have waited until there was nobody else in the toilets and hobbled round to the next cubicle but knowing my luck the bluddy woman cleaner would choose that exact moment to make her appearance.

This morning just as I decided to hit snooze and have an extra ten minutes in the sack the power went off then to add insult to injury it came back on just as I was leaving. Fortunately I have a gas stove so could make my coffee or I'd have been Mr Angry all day.

Now you'v got me thinking, and that doesn't happen often.

The Airport, Why do l ALWAYS pick the wrong queue to check in, after carefully scanning what's going on l carefully pick a queue only to be nearly last seen too, and at immigration the same, always pick the wrong queue cos someone up front hasn't filled in an entry card. :)

Or in a supermarket there is a problem with their credit card

Just stay out of my queue and you'll be OK

:D

The Airport, Why do l ALWAYS pick the wrong queue to check in, after carefully scanning what's going on l carefully pick a queue only to be nearly last seen too, and at immigration the same, always pick the wrong queue cos someone up front hasn't filled in an entry card. :D

I was in a super market last year in Auckland New Zealand in the 10 or less items and the woman in front of me had only 6.

Thats great I thought until she used five (yes 5) credit cards until there was one with enough credit.

The worst thing was that it was less than 400 baht or 25 NZD at that time.

My lips and tongue hurt for an hour after that as I bit them to stop screaming at her. :)

That small an amount and 5 credit cards? :D

Is there a smiley with steam coming out of its ears?

The Airport, Why do l ALWAYS pick the wrong queue to check in, after carefully scanning what's going on l carefully pick a queue only to be nearly last seen too, and at immigration the same, always pick the wrong queue cos someone up front hasn't filled in an entry card. :D

I was in a super market last year in Auckland New Zealand in the 10 or less items and the woman in front of me had only 6.

Thats great I thought until she used five (yes 5) credit cards until there was one with enough credit.

My lips and tongue hurt for an hour after that as I bit them to stop screaming at her. :)

Yes. I think they should have a separate line for people who pay by card.

The Airport, Why do l ALWAYS pick the wrong queue to check in, after carefully scanning what's going on l carefully pick a queue only to be nearly last seen too, and at immigration the same, always pick the wrong queue cos someone up front hasn't filled in an entry card. :)

That seems to be a universal complaint!

What's really annoying is changing lanes to one with less people, then seeing all the people that were behind you in the original queue finishing ahead of you.

and the women who never get their card/ money ready before the cashier tells them how much, and spend 5 minutes trying to find their card/ money in their huge hand bag.

OP, sounds like we are related. :)

Me too.

I now live my life by thinking what will go wrong with whatever I am doing, and taking appropriate precautions. If I don't, it does always go wrong.

Seriously, if there is a 50 50 chance that any particular thing will go right, why does it seem that it more often goes wrong? Perhaps we all have things go right a lot, but just don't remember them as much. For everyone in the slow queue, there are as many or more in the fast one.

Ji.

Speaking of queue's (i never knew how to spell that correctly!), it appears to me that i am jinxed in that particular way as well. As in - my queue moves at snail's pace, the one at the next cash register is a lot faster. So i switch queues - only to bring the slowness with me, speeding up the one i left and slowing down the one i joined.

Works equally well for traffic/road lanes. How often did i wonder why two of three lanes move while i am stationary... only to switch lanes to find that my new lane stops dead while the one i just left starts moving.

Or at bank/post office.... it is always the one person right in front of me who has some sort of business that takes an hour. While i am usually done in 30 seconds......

At 7-Eleven i could explode every time when the person in front of me buys several items worth 99.75 Baht and starts counting it down in coins - right down to the 75 Satang, all the while my ice cream melts. And for some reason that happens EVERY time i am buying ice cream.

Best regards.....

Thanh