Chiang Mai To Pai

SinghaLover

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how easy (or difficult) it is to drive from Chiang Mai to Pai and how long it would roughly take. I checked google maps and it said close to 4 hours.

We wanted to go there end of next week for an overnight stay with some people renting bikes. What is there on the way to see e.g. waterfalls or national parks and such?

Is there a route that you could recommend?

Also, are regular scooters ( Honda Wave or Click) enough for that trip or would we need bigger bikes?

What is there to do in Pai this time of the year? Obviously we want to stay in Chiang Mai for Songkran but after a nice two days in Pai to relax and see some things...

I hope some of you have some good advice.

Thanks a bunch

Cheers

The only reason for a car, in my opinion, is the chance of rain. I have a car and I hate driving to Pai because all of the turns throwing my body back and forth... On a bike, those same turns are a visceral experience :)

About two hours driving is what it takes. Along the way, there are waterfalls and hot springs, all clearly marked.

Edited by LJW

Yep, as they say a couple of hours or so but if you want an enjoyable relaxed ride/drive then 4 may be closer. Route 1095 is a road of continuous twist and bends including any number of hairpins that range from steep to very steep. I would not recommend it for an inexperienced person on a motorbike and not 2 (Western sized people anyway) up on a small engined bike, if you are in a group it would be much safer, do not attempt it at night. Consider taking a car or a minibus from the bus station. Take a good face mask, I was there a week or so ago and the smoke was very thick. Small bikes are available for rent there from 100B a day. Pai can be an acquired taste, a couple of days will be plenty to tell you enough. Route 1095 to Mae Hong Son is also twisty and steep in places in case you are tempted. You should see the Pai turning about 20km from Mae Rim although you can continue into Ban Mai Malai and turn there. Pong Dueat geyser and hot springs are on the way, turn right off 1095. I am afraid it is 200B for foreigners unless you have a Thai driving license in which case it is 40B. 42km past Pai on the 1095 on the road to Mae Hong Son is Tham Lot, one of the bigger Cave complexes. Enjoy and Stay Safe.

We rented a car and drove from Chiangmai to Pai, then to Maehongson in December while our daughter came over for a visit. While we were still in Bangkok, we met a Canadian woman (lives in Thailand for 6+ yrs) who had her mom over for a visit. She told us about the Elephant Camp in Chiangmai and what a great place it was to visit. We went.....we had a ball. 150-ish baht entrance fee......tons of photo opportunities and the elephant showers/show are well done. Don't miss it.

About 20-ish KM outside of Chiangmai on the way to Pai, you'll see a sign for Mork Fa Waterfall (น้ำตกหมอกฟ้า). The park is only a few KM off the main road. We were skeptical, but really glad we took the time to visit. The waterfall (in December, anyway) was really spectacular. And strewn across the river were, what looked like to us, giant trees that have petrified.

About 40km outside of Chiangmai, you'll pass a small coffee shop on your right hand side. The name is Highland Koffee. The owner has a large coffee plantation and roast his own beans. The coffee is great and the food he serves there is excellent as well. It doesn't look like a fancy place, so you'll have to keep your eyes peeled for the sign.

Enjoy the trip.

We had a great time in Pai.....lots of excellent food, plenty of resorts, and the night bazaar was a lot of fun.

Don't know what the temps/smoke will be like this time of the year, but December was wonderful.

As above.

I have done the journey in a van and bus. It is a fairly torturous route. Some of the turns are ridiculous, it makes you wonder what the planners were on at the time.

A modern car can fairly romp along up the steep inclines, vans and buses struggle. Saw plenty of motorbikes being pushed uphill along the routes. I wouldn't suggest driving yourself there and back unless you are a very experienced driver, not only is it hard going at points, but some of the car drivers take obscene risks, overtaking on blind hairpin bends. There are a lot of accidents....

Hiring a motorbike in Pai can also be tricky if it's busy. You have to turn up real early.

well yes its twisty but a wonderful drive on a bike and it gets nice and cool on top of the mountain range between pai and cm. if you take it slow i think its fine - i have done it on a bike many times....... whe you get to pai and you can afford 2000b for a room, i teally recomment the quarter hotel just beyond the hospital. just walk in and ask for a room is the cheapest way and pai is not busy. rate gives you a nice pool, really good buffet breakfast free wifi nice comfortable room. also for possibly the best pizza anywhere around here try the pizza place just before the bridge over the river. enjoy

The OP asked if Wave, Clicks, and the like are enough for the trip.

I'm saying that since many Thais travel that road 2-up on such bikes - then yes, they will haul a single falang nicely unless you weigh a lot more than two Thais.

Motor bikes being pushed? Well, there aren't many places to buy gasoline. Or overloaded? I wonder.

I've done the Pai MHS loop a few times on a 110 cc. To me, going to Pai is better than being in Pai. There are plenty of side trips as noted above.