Songkran Parade And Show At Tha Phae Gate

JimShortz

For the first time I thought I would get into town early to see the parade and show at Tha Phae Gate - kicking off the Songkran celebrations in Chiang Mai. I thought it would make a nice change from just throwing water; get in early soak up some culture and get out again (and actually I got home still dry at 9am with some nice bags of food for breakfast!).

The show was really beautiful, lovely northern Thai food available in the square, but stupidly loud music; so loud that it tested the speakers just a little beyond where they would still sound good, it made my ears uncomfortable and had my son putting his hands over his ears. What a shame... had it been turned down by 30 or 40% it would have been a lovely experience with beautiful Lanna music floating throuth the square rather than charging like a bull on acid!

Oh well... TIT, it happens at ALL gatherings involving music unfortunately... and no I'm not an old git who doesn't like loud music, it's just that I think rock concert levels (with speakers always exceeding there sweet sounding zone) are not appropriate at all cultural events, school concerts, weddings, temple events, etc.

Do Thai people really like this noise level? :)