Australian Tourist Dies After Thai Street Attack

bridge

they have this great modern treatment for bad infections. Its called Penicillin. It comes in the form of a shot. You can get one on demand at any hospital or clinic in thailand for about 200 baht. Or 1000 baht you can get a cef 3 injection which probably would have been smart for him to do if he had a bad infection. Sorry for this guy, but it sounds like their may be more to the story. I wonder if he was taking pain medication or drinking alcohol when he died. COD would be a nice piece of info since there seems to be a lot of time between the attack and when he died, and some major deficits in the story as a whole. Full treatment in Thailand probably would have been less than his deductible on his insurance back in Oz. Ive lived here 10 years and I have never seen a hospital bill more than 200,000 baht, and that was for 3 months in icu with two surgeries. Something just doesnt seem right about this story. VERY VAGUE, but a pearl of a story for a lame forum such as este es.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is admirable what individuals are doing here on thai visa and beyond....

But today (Friday) will be, i`m sure a very difficult day for Andrews family, wife and friends....

The service is being held at the main temple next to prasat police staion at 1 pm, and the cremation localy there after...Please show your respect sensitively........ RIP

Please stop the silly speculation on what happened, when you know the story in the fullness of time you may just think how these unfounded theories affect those concerned, when the case is fully investigated properly you will understand it`s sensitive nature....

Edited by husskydog

For all, sorry for spelling

the story was Andrew Oake pushing his bike that ran out of gas, right at the gold arch of Prasat, The police station is about 3 to 4 k from where the attack happen. before that he travel from Surin where he was talking to his mom at a inter-net cafe. his wife is very young and quit girl. as Andrew, was my friend i know he yell for her to leave she was pregnant. for him her and the baby was his world. he was 6+ feet large man. the attackers use swords ( homemade, the handles was made 1feet pipe with 2 + feet blade). the weapons was not machetes, but made just for people. The police have the weapons, you need to see what they use, I have and you will be shock at what the attackers used. He brake the attackers bike. The attacker are car painters as the police said. I think painters so they have less brain cells.

Now, as all this why he travel, why he did this and that to get his passport. Don't want to trouble any one. I think it a Aussie thing not to bother anyone.

As far as pain, He was in much pain very much pain, so much pain that it kill him. that why he died. At the autopsy there was blood spot on his heart from pain and scared his heart.

The travel insurance, Another story too. name company the family don't want to say at this time . The investigator have came to see the family at watt in Prasat on 16 interview them in fact finding, as how he lay in the van was it a old van new van so on. made a big thing that he was a smoker. try to say that their son used drug so on, broke his mother a part the family was sitting in front of the coffin at time.

we ask why the insurance did not use SOS life fight. the insurance did not. made Andrew pay all the travel, have not paid anything . Surin hospital did not want him to leave in was the presser from the insurance company

I ask the insurance company why they don't tell him to call embassy in Thailand. that they would have taken care of everything and company would have deal with it.

Now as far as danger, here in thailand this kids are crazy. have seen pvc bomb trow at the police at peaple. shootings from homemade guns in bar area in surin. counrty gang from one village fight each other, my Thailand wife say they are animal at nite.

yes Thai in the counry side tell you do not trave tol at nite on bike. do not stop to help at nite they may rob you. or throw log in the road to crash you. put sticks in your wheel. if you travel alone at nite stay in the middle of the road. don't let other bike pass you on the right side. the left hand is the clutch and free. to hit or grab your wife bag. you know the gold chain grabber.

photo Andrew Oake friend that is miss

post-37946-1271356552_thumb.jpg

post-37946-1271356951_thumb.jpg

Edited by dragula

the story was Andrew Oake pushing his bike that ran out of gas, right at the gold arch of Prasat, The police station is about 3 to 4 k from where the attack happen. before that he travel from Surin where he was talking to his mom at a inter-net cafe. his wife is very young and quit girl. as Andrew, was my friend i know he yell for her to leave she was pregnant. for him her and the baby was his world. he was 6+ feet large man. the attackers use swords ( homemade, the handles was made 1feet pipe with 2 + feet blade). the weapons was not machetes, but made just for people. The police have the weapons, you need to see what they use, I have and you will be shock at what the attackers used. He brake the attackers bike. The attacker are car painters as the police said. I think painters so they have less brain cells.

Now, as all this why he travel, why he did this and that to get his passport. Don't want to trouble any one. I think it a Aussie thing not to bother anyone.

As far as pain, He was in much pain very much pain, so much pain that it kill him. that why he died. At the autopsy there was blood spot on his heart from pain and scared his heart.

The travel insurance, Another story too. name company the family don't want to say at this time . The investigator have came to see the family at watt in Prasat on 16 interview them in fact finding, as how he lay in the van was it a old van new van so on. made a big thing that he was a smoker. try to say that their son used drug so on, broke his mother a part the family was sitting in front of the coffin at time.

we ask why the insurance did not use SOS life fight. the insurance did not. made Andrew pay all the travel, have not paid anything . Surin hospital did not want him to leave in was the presser from the insurance company

I ask the insurance company why they don't tell him to call embassy in Thailand. that they would have taken care of everything and company would have deal with it.

Now as far as danger, here in thailand this kids are crazy. have seen pvc bomb trow at the police at peaple. shootings from homemade guns in bar area in surin. counrty gang from one village fight each other, my Thailand wife say they are animal at nite.

yes Thai in the counry side tell you do not trave tol at nite on bike. do not stop to help at nite they may rob you. or throw log in the road to crash you. put sticks in your wheel. if you travel alone at nite stay in the middle of the road. don't let other bike pass you on the right side. the left hand is the clutch and free. to hit or grab your wife bag. you know the gold chain grabber.

Thank you Dragula!

This is a horrible story. We have probably not seen the end of the outcome of this yet, regarding Andrew. Nor have we not seen the end of the outcome of this country, I'm afraid. Political instability tends to poison even the individuals, where respect for lives and law & order is lost. When the economical and political climate is getting more harse, so are peoples mind. I recommend all of you to be careful and be cautious about your whereabouts and what times you are doing activities. Don't walk alone or tempt others to harm you. Don't overestimate yourself, even if you're tall and strong. Even a Lion can be brought down by a flock of hyenas. The more problems this country will receive, the more problems the population will cause.

Take care everyone!

I've just escaped death by 50 cm, 3 weeks ago.

I've been rethinking of what to appreciate in life.

Sincerely

Slashed with a machete? This is becoming like Somalia!

happens so often in the uk, that its never reported.

What a load of horlixs, When was the last time a machete was reported in the UK, Believe me it would be big news here in the land of milk and honey.

Thank you Dragula!

This is a horrible story. We have probably not seen the end of the outcome of this yet, regarding Andrew. Nor have we not seen the end of the outcome of this country, I'm afraid. Political instability tends to poison even the individuals, where respect for lives and law & order is lost. When the economical and political climate is getting more harse, so are peoples mind. I recommend all of you to be careful and be cautious about your whereabouts and what times you are doing activities. Don't walk alone or tempt others to harm you. Don't overestimate yourself, even if you're tall and strong. Even a Lion can be brought down by a flock of hyenas. The more problems this country will receive, the more problems the population will cause.

Take care everyone!

I've just escaped death by 50 cm, 3 weeks ago.

I've been rethinking of what to appreciate in life.

Sincerely

Thank you I wanted peaple to know this is not a joke, It a monster crime, he was a very happy man. wanted to be a good farther, was not drunker or bar fly or any thing, a family man, ex-pact family man, like many of us. he respected peaple and love life.

It's time to visit you local Policeman and give him some cash for his Glock. It's been done many times before. May this poor soul RIP and I pray for his wife and soon to be born child.

don't think that a reward my come forth;

Thank you I wanted peaple to know this is not a joke, It a monster crime, he was a very happy man. wanted to be a good farther, was not drunker or bar fly or any thing, a family man, ex-pact family man, like many of us. he respected peaple and love life.

Thanks for posting, hopefully it will put an end to some of the hateful theories flying around as your friend is no longer around to defend himself.

What time of the day did the attack occur as that hasn't been reported yet.

Thanks for posting, hopefully it will put an end to some of the hateful theories flying around as your friend is no longer around to defend himself.

What time of the day did the attack occur as that hasn't been reported yet.

10:00pm in the srteet lights

-Dragula-

what -Oilman- means is, people better buy now a gun, Austrian produced GLOCK gun-pistol from your local Policeman for your own security.

GLOCK is a preferred and revered gun from Policeman in Thailand.

After hearing that story I will thinking twice to drive around with small motorbikes in evening or nights in Isaan.

Sorry for such a nice a couple-as i see it on the foto.

And sorry that Andrew did not think first from himself and his health and second from saving money.

By the way Private Hospitals (Phuket Bangkok) are really not cheap!

My GF was just some weeks ago sick from an infection, we went hospital in the middle of the night as she could not move for some time.

The room sounded with 2.700.- inexpensive, nice, big and I slept in.

She received Ultraschall and x-ray check, 2 smaller medicine bottles against infection and 2 bigger bottles against exhaustion.

Checking urin and blood. That was it. Good care also.

But after two nights and days, a 26.500.- B. bill, Medicinebottles 5.000.- a bottle!

And if I not looked to check her out as she felt a lot better, they would even keep her longer.

There was a 'samurai' gang up here in Chiang Mai a few years ago. In a town north of here. Drive by slashings. No motive. Youths.

I think it has stopped now.

Being robbed by bike is common here. I know at least 3 women who have been knocked off bikes and bags stolen. One of my friends drives home every night (11:30pm when her shop shuts) with her handbag covered in a cheap plastic bag.

Normally done by a bike pulling alongside then a hard kick or push.

This is why my wife drives home from our shop at midnight with all doors locked.

RIP.

I'm very sorry for the accident & an innocent man's death.

I was reading the thread and have some thoughts on some raised questions & comments.

1. I don't think the victim was targeted, it's very random. If I were in the wife's shoe, I'll run away (to get help) too because I'll be too afraid to do anything.

2. The hospital is just doing what is expected of them (of a private hospital). They are not a charity and if they provide the basic care (that patient can survive one day without medical care) before sending them away, they are probably not wrong. Of course not morally but it's business to them.

3. I think the fault is the insurance company as I do think that they should had make more exception if the insured client is not at home country. Accident happens.

4. Insurance company in Thailand do pay foreigners regardless of nationality and whether you've a work permit. I was on a tourist visa last year when I'd an accident and broke my right leg, the motorcyclist's insurance company paid for the max of the coverage: 50,000B.

Bumrungrad Hospital is too overrated.

notice that the attack happened 4 weeks ago and the first news is from an aussie newspaper,maybe because it happened in isaan and not a tourist destination?Used to stay at the ex's farmhouse near chaiyaphum and we often went to the nearby town(20 minutes by bike)but was told by family "never travel like that after dark"because you could be attacked by people on bikes trying to knock you off and rob you.Like everywhere today its just not safe.

Night time robberies like this are quite common here. Police are well aware of this problem. My brother-in-laws are policemen and tell me they try to "get rid" of these guys if they can. The thugs simply disappear...make of that what you will!

RIP to a fellow Aussie.

It cuts both ways!My friends Thai wife's brother, killed a Thai man.The family seem well connected.He was sentenced, but released when his family bought him out.He killed another Thia man,he was sentenced, but was released when his family bought him out again.Of course he had to pay a larger sum this time.He killed a third Thai man and once again his family bought his freedom!With a still larger sum. An acquittance of mine, killed a mother of 2 whilst drink driving.500,000 baht later and he wasn't even breathalysed!

Ive lived here 15 years and love living here.

But the police force are a buisness.

There services for sale.

Very sad story. 28 years and about to be a father. Tragic. I have had a concealed carry permit here in the US for 16 years and thank God have never needed to make use of it. But there have been times (roadside breakdowns at night and dodgy characters giving my wife and I the evil eye) I am glad "it" was close at hand. All it takes is body language and a look to let would be assailants know that you are not easy prey. They are predators and instinctively seek out the weak in the herd. Don't be one and more importantly, don't look like one.

If I ever made it over to Thailand to live, I'm afraid I would have no choice but to go discretely outside the law and carry. After all these years, I would feel totally naked and unprepared without it. The Thai monkey house beats cremation any day in my book. At least you have hope and not a bowl of ash.

The uncaring woman from Australian Foreign Affairs quoted as saying "it's a matter for Thai authorities to determine" knowing full well that NOTHING would be done. Getting a result in Thailand in almost all of these events is squarely in the hands of Australian Politicians and other various authorities. They just never bother. They simply don't care about it's citizens abroad. Demanding a result and putting sufficient political and economic presure will always get the right result and justice will be gained.

A case in point, an Indian student was killed in Melbourne. The Indian government put pressure on Australia and got an immediate and effective result.

It could be argued that Indian citizens are better protected (or at the very least get justice ) abroad by their government than Australians are

How many Australian citizens are killed or suffer other horrific events inThailand at the hands of Thais and Australia does nothing?.

What does it take for the Australian government to send the message loud and clear to Thailand to keep their hands off their citizens?

In the meantime the Thai "authorities" will continue to do nothing to either prevent or severely punish the perpetrators.

My condolences. It's now up to the family if they want to seek justice for their son, but don't expect any assistance fromAustralian government as they are too busy sucking up to the Thai authorities.

Agree with that 100% - Well said.

Sadly,

it's all about money.

Indian students and foreign students in general

generate a shit load of money for Oz.

The governemnt doesn't give a rat's about the

"odd" Aussie who get's killed overseas.

They give more sympathy and help to Aussie

drug traffickers in overseas prisons.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

very sad, very depressing - condolances to the family - surely the Aussie Embassy should be going crazy that one of their nationals was hacked down - and the insurance company I hope will be sued to provide for the wife and baby - disgraceful - supposed to be a Buddhist country yet some of them haven't got a clue... but those people will pay eventually - RIP

I think it is admirable what individuals are doing here on thai visa and beyond....

But today (Friday) will be, i`m sure a very difficult day for Andrews family, wife and friends....

The service is being held at the main temple next to prasat police staion at 1 pm, and the cremation localy there after...Please show your respect sensitively........ RIP

Please stop the silly speculation on what happened, when you know the story in the fullness of time you may just think how these unfounded theories affect those concerned, when the case is fully investigated properly you will understand it`s sensitive nature....

Couldn't agree more.

Very sad story. 28 years and about to be a father. Tragic. I have had a concealed carry permit here in the US for 16 years and thank God have never needed to make use of it. But there have been times (roadside breakdowns at night and dodgy characters giving my wife and I the evil eye) I am glad "it" was close at hand. All it takes is body language and a look to let would be assailants know that you are not easy prey. They are predators and instinctively seek out the weak in the herd. Don't be one and more importantly, don't look like one.

If I ever made it over to Thailand to live, I'm afraid I would have no choice but to go discretely outside the law and carry. After all these years, I would feel totally naked and unprepared without it. The Thai monkey house beats cremation any day in my book. At least you have hope and not a bowl of ash.

The USA has one of the highest Murder rates in the world, specifically because of their lax and ridiculous gun laws.

And anyone that thinks a Thai Jail would be fun has to rethink that.

The best solution is to leave your gun at home and stay out of trouble, or if you can't stay out of trouble, then don't come here.

CS

Sounds like a clot broke off from the wound and killed him. Effectively a stroke, or pulmonary embolus. It's a rare and very unfortunate complication of serious trauma, and has been recently newsworthy as "economy class syndrome" where clots form in the legs after sitting too long. Just how much this was related to the needless moving around which seems to have been pushed by the insurance company will be a hotly contested issue.

I'm gobsmacked at the reports an insurance company would push someone to travel like this when there's a "risk of losing an arm."

I wish his family and friends all the best.

Thanks too for adding some details, Dragula.

Edited by Huangy

Thailand is now, sadly, getting more dangerous than it used to be. That region around Prasat is a particularly poor one and that will have had a bearing. Did the victim know his attackers? Did they single him out for a reason or would have any falang got the same treatment? These are questions that need to be addressed. His wife should know the answers. It is a terrible situation. If this gets onto the news in Europe, tourism in Thailand will be dead too.

It's not just farang that will be attacked I'm afraid. Sadly it is very dangerous to be on a motorbike at night in the boonies.

I've heard of many stories of people getting knocked off motorbikes or attacked by gangs on the backs of pick-ups if one is out walking in the dark. My wife always worries if I go out at night and insists on me taking the car. It's very poor up here and life is cheap. Ya-Ba is easily accessible and young kids will kill for money if need be.

This is another sad tale and I'm sure nothing fishy was going on. I purely think it was a robbery.

R.I.P. to the deceased and my condolences to his family. The insurance company should be ashamed of themselves but that's insurance companies for you. They love to take your money but never want to pay up when things happen...

I shall shortly be posting a review of Thai healthcare for foreigners - and I will argue that no matter WHERE you are in THailand the system is little more than a lottery.

" I find it quite ironic that recent assault’s on Indians students in Australia were met with swift reaction by the Australia Government after condemnation by New Delhi, but incidents involving Australians abroad, in this case involving the death of an Australian citizen, receive such a mediocre response from the Australian Government."

i see no irony here - just rather narrow outlook by the poster.

It would be nice fr the Oz govt to take the matter more seriously but bringing an issue like the Indian students into it just demeans the poster's credibility.

There was a 'samurai' gang up here in Chiang Mai a few years ago. In a town north of here. Drive by slashings. No motive. Youths.

I think it has stopped now.

Being robbed by bike is common here. I know at least 3 women who have been knocked off bikes and bags stolen. One of my friends drives home every night (11:30pm when her shop shuts) with her handbag covered in a cheap plastic bag.

Normally done by a bike pulling alongside then a hard kick or push.

This is why my wife drives home from our shop at midnight with all doors locked.

RIP.

On a night at 11.00pm 3 years ago here in Chiang Mai, I was driving my motorbike towards Tesco Lotus on the Hang Dong road.

Suddenly I found myself driving along with another 20 or so motorcyclists, some sort of youth gang. They began intimidating road users and lashing out with metal poles at other people on motorbikes.

I lifted up my helmet visor so that they could see I was a farang, somehow thinking that this may make me exempt from attack. They clobbered one guy motorcyclist and his female passenger then they drove into an Esso petrol station smashing all the shop windows and attacking staff.

I kept wondering if I was next. The whole experience was terrifying. Lucky for me the gang drove off into the night and I came out of it in one piece.

This was the only time I ever felt at threat here in Thailand and nothing like that had ever happened to me before or after that incident.

But for those that are classifying Thailand as a dangerous place, prior to moving here, the area where I lived in outer London was 100 times worse. Our family home and that of my neighbours were practically under siege from street thugs who declared the area as their own, the police had virtually no powers against them, they were above the law. These thugs named themselves the Untouchables because they felt they could do exactly what they liked. The media called them, boisterous youths, I described them as terrorists because they worn hoods, carried lethal weapons, intimidating and ruined peoples lives.

My heartfelt sympathy for the victim of this crime, but like most of these tragedies, it`s mostly a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and could happen to any of us.

Thailand is still one of the safest countries to live worldwide, especially up here in the North. If you require any facts, try living on a council estate in the UK for a year or walking alone at night in any UK city.

Just want to throw in my 5 bahts worth....its a horrible story.....I go to Surin province a fair bit to my wifes village and usually feel safe there. But one time I went for a ride alone on a small motorbike to a nearby village just to look around. After going through the villlage and then doing a u-turn to come back the way I came I was 'chased' aggressively by a couple of guys on other bikes.....I was not trying to 'get away' just trundling along but they raced after me after I passed their spot and cornered me into a wall......I was thinking what the $#^% as I checked for weapons as instinct would in a case like this. Luckily nothing so I stood my ground and backed up the bike and rode off. they followed a while until they saw the village to which I was headed. I dont know if they realised the bike I was on belonged to probably the heaviest guy around there. Anyway it was a wke up call to me to be careful out there.

Update Re : Email sent to the Minister for Foreign Affairs (Stephen Smith). and the Shadow Minister for Foreign (Julie Bishop)

No response at all from the Foreign Ministers Office. That was to be expected I guess. Unfortunately in the eyes of the Australian Government Mr. Oake is just seen as a 'Joe Nobody'- how tragic. Of course when it is an Australian Executive of a large Australian Mining Company arrested in China, well then you can hear the Australian Government shouting all the way to Beijing.

I did get a response from the Shadow Ministers office however (see below)

Thank you for your email concerning the Labor Government’s response to concerns raised about the investigation of Mr Oake’s death in Thailand.

Julie has read this email and asked me to acknowledge receipt on her behalf.

It is vital that the Coalition receives feedback so that we can represent the interests of all Australians, and present people with a credible and inspiring alternative at the next election.

If you would like to visit Julie’s website it is at www.juliebishop.com.au

For more detailed policy information please go to www.liberal.org.au

Best wishes

Rachael Gunderson

Electorate Officer - Research

Office of the Hon Julie Bishop

Federal Member for Curtin

Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs

Deputy Leader of the Opposition

Edited by bridge