Teacher's Dress Code

Another stupid question...but I'd rather have respect for the culture than not care. For work, would open-toed dress sandals or other open-toed shoes be allowed, or is this in poor taste?

Edited by NeckThai

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are really a great help. Im assuming, however, that the colors of the day is not a rule to which one must strictly adhere.

Right, it's not required. In fact, I've adhered to it so slavishly for two years that it quickly became an office joke: "He's in pink shirt so today must be Tuesday." Even for men, light or bright pastels are popular, but you see almost every color. And on an ethnic clothing day, you may be bedazzled by the ladies' elaborate silk clothing like their grandmothers only wished they could afford (although some provincial teachers do come from rich stock).

I don't know about open-toed sandals. It would be safer to start with close-toed shoes and see what the other ladies wear. Appearance really does matter here, more than in most countries. When you dress well - especially if you wear a new dress or accessory - you'll get compliments for dressing 'smart.'

You guys are really a great help. Im assuming, however, that the colors of the day is not a rule to which one must strictly adhere.

Depends on the school.

The school I sent my kids to were very strict.

All the famale teachers must dress according to the 'day code' and only court shoes were acceptable.

She should have been informed about their rules but TIT.

I think your school should be telling you what to wear - I worked at AUA in Chiang Mai and they made teachers dress codes part of the training - I think women were told not to wear open-toed sandals -I also think vest tops, showing midriff, and overly short skirt weren't allowed - I think as a farang teacher you have to be overly cautious.

Some schools really hate their female staff wearing trousers - but I also worked in a school were all female staff were banned from wearing skirts - one of the little darlings decided he wanted to look up the skirt of a female member of staff, and the parent subsequently complained.

Whatever you do, there's a good chance someone, somewhere won't like it!

Edited by Grant

one of the little darlings decided he wanted to look up the skirt of a female member of staff, and the parent subsequently complained.

The parent complained? That's great. "I'm very annoyed that my little Sonchai looked up your skirt. You should be ashamed giving him a woody he never anticipated."

one of the little darlings decided he wanted to look up the skirt of a female member of staff, and the parent subsequently complained.

The parent complained? That's great. "I'm very annoyed that my little Sonchai looked up your skirt. You should be ashamed giving him a woody he never anticipated."

The parents used to complain all the time, it went from "not enough fun" to "too much learning". I'm of the opinion that these parents should be told that admin can't interfere in classroom policy. We are teachers - not Saturday Morning Entertainment Machines.

We are teachers - not Saturday Morning Entertainment Machines.

You reckon?

Well, if you end up singing "I'm a little teapot" at 9.10 on a saturday morning - then you're babysitting whilst mum and dad head for Lotus - but I do believe that shouldn't be the only basis for employing farang teachers.

Rest assured the teaching forum is the only place where you will get flamed for your spelling and punctuation. Feel free to post in the other forums without reproach.

To be fair it does sometimes spring up on other parts of the board.

You reckon?

Well, if you end up singing "I'm a little teapot" at 9.10 on a saturday morning - then you're babysitting whilst mum and dad head for Lotus - but I do believe that shouldn't be the only basis for employing farang teachers.

:o "I'm a little teapot, short and ........" Poot arai na, niwa farang?

Better to laugh. The alternative is to retreat to the bathroom with the razor blades.

Edited by Rumpole

Another stupid question...but I'd rather have respect for the culture than not care. For work, would open-toed dress sandals or other open-toed shoes be allowed, or is this in poor taste?

A definite no-no.

CLosed shoes, or at lesat covered toes.

still funny though.
b. spelling, grammar and punctuation are not prioritird for posting on an informal website as it is in the classroom. Atleast for me.

:D

I can see 'prioritird' (sic) as a typo. That's OK by me. We all do that sometimes.

'Edicate' isn't, by a long chalk. :o C'mon, how can that spelling be acceptable?

It reminds me of a social worker who wrote to me a while back saying he would release some papers to me 'now that they have been 'ennonnimised'!! <deleted>!!! He meant 'anonymised', of course, for those still struggling ...

I unfortunately am dislxeic, Disloxic, Disco :D

O BUM CAN'T SPELL :D

Can I now, not post on TV? :D

I've often defended the right of those with skills and ability to do jobs which are commensurate with their skills, even if their formal qualifications weren't the best- for example, I have no problems with people who only have a high school degree teaching TEFL in Thailand, as long as they've had some training.

There is a line, though, and people who come on here asking about teaching jobs (especially TEFL jobs) who appear functionally illiterate are on the side of the line deserving criticism, IMHO. I don't give a hoot if your spelling is off on the Food Thread in General Topics, but don't come to Thailand to teach, please.

"Steven"

I've often defended the right of those with skills and ability to do jobs which are commensurate with their skills, even if their formal qualifications weren't the best- for example, I have no problems with people who only have a high school degree teaching TEFL in Thailand, as long as they've had some training.

There is a line, though, and people who come on here asking about teaching jobs (especially TEFL jobs) who appear functionally illiterate are on the side of the line deserving criticism, IMHO.  I don't give a hoot if your spelling is off on the Food Thread in General Topics, but don't come to Thailand to teach, please.

"Steven"

Who died and made you God?

There is a line, though, and people who come on here asking about teaching jobs (especially TEFL jobs) who appear functionally illiterate are on the side of the line deserving criticism, IMHO.  I don't give a hoot if your spelling is off on the Food Thread in General Topics, but don't come to Thailand to teach, please.

"Steven"

I like this chick! Sheez got ballz! :o

It takes all kinds, NeckThai... and I must admit I'm a bit taken aback by Steven's comments. Normally, he's got a fairly good picture of things, but his comments show that no one here is like the infallible Pope (who by coincidence DID just recently die).

Right, please people let's play 'nice' (or as nice as possible) now!

Thanks kindly!

"I Am The Great And Powerful Oz!!!"

It's just my opinion. And I don't criticize every typo I see- make some myself. But I think even country schools in Thailand can do better than hire those candidates who have to spell phonetically (the way the OP obviously attempted to spell 'etiquette'). So call me an elitist!

:o

QUOTE(Grant @ 2005-06-05 01:26:52)

QUOTE(Rumpole @ 2005-06-04 17:40:56)

QUOTE(Grant @ 2005-06-05 00:05:42)

You reckon?

Ha ha , made me laugh as it is so bloody true. I bought a couple of cds for kids for my young daughter and remembered years ago singing that "teapot song" and the "heads shoulders, knees and toes" one. I worked for a company called Inlingua, who were a pure money making outfit. Yes, the parents were shopping while I made a dick of myself for a couple of thousand baht on a Saturday.

Never again! Well, I guess I do have a price. :o

About the comment about AUA, who could take them seriously when they use that crap book Interchange and think the students are actually learning. "Just use the book", my arse.

Now you can't get advice like that from your Thai Etiquette book :o

But I bet she can spell the word properly now! :D

By the way gotta disagree, its dark colours for big @rses ain't it? :D

It is. Apart from my supposed big head, my backside is in a similar condition. Dark colours are always better on big backsides. I've had years of experience of looking at them! :D

You lot really know how to welcome newbies to this board don't you :o .

Read her journal, check her spelling in that if your bored and have nothing else to do.

That would be 'you're bored', actually.  You teach English to her standard as well, do you?

This is an informal forum board, a few spelling mistakes don't matter too much.

Don't worry Necktie, you'll find a lot of these petty types on this board and in the Bangkok teaching profession :D

It's not a question of pettiness, it's a question of accuracy.

As I tried to say earlier, typos are one problem and we all make them. Poor English, in a teacher of all people, is another. I can understand a typo or perhaps getting the 't's in 'etiquette misplaced, but to spell it so badly is absurd. Sorry you don't like me saying it. Perhaps you teach your Thai kids as badly?

"Steven"

Me, actually. Except I didn't need to die to promote him! :o

And I know that omnipotent doesn't mean the same as immortal.

Right, please people let's play 'nice' (or as nice as possible) now!

Thanks kindly!

"I Am The Great And Powerful Oz!!!"

It's just my opinion. And I don't criticize every typo I see- make some myself. But I think even country schools in Thailand can do better than hire those candidates who have to spell phonetically (the way the OP obviously attempted to spell 'etiquette'). So call me an elitist!

:D

Thank God! Another elitist on the board! :o

As regards the original topic, what is the correct dress to wear? just use your eyes and ears.

Thai people are usually not in the habit of laughing at you if you make a genuine effort to 'look the part' and keep yourself clean.

If comment needs to be made about your dress sense, just accept it as a highly motivated requirement to speak English, to which you may have an opportunity to improve!

So, if in doubt, ask, and good luck to you in your teaching experiences!

Laulen

(semi-retired English teacher, now back in the UK, teaching multi-lingual classes!)

"Steven"

Thank you. I am pleased that at least one person agrees with my sentiments. I was not being deliberately nit-picking, but some basic literacy skills do seem to be a prerequisite for teaching English, or in fact any language that a person wants to teach. Perhps it's not so necessary for maths or science, but surely not for English, please. :o

"Steven"

I like this chick! Sheez got ballz! :o

To be fair to her, apart from my gripe about her one spelling error (I ignored the few typos) I like her style. he HAS got balls and had a pop back, and I think her name of 'NeckThai' is excellent! :D

However, she'd better learn to accept constructive criticism FAST.

I can see 'prioritird' (sic) as a typo.  That's OK by me.  We all do that sometimes.

'Edicate' isn't, by a long chalk.   :o  C'mon, how can that spelling be acceptable? 

It reminds me of a social worker who wrote to me a while back saying he would release some papers to me 'now that they have been 'ennonnimised'!!  <deleted>!!!  He meant 'anonymised', of course, for those still struggling ...

You want to Fixit, Mister (your attitude that is) and answer the question or just bignote yourself and be regarded as flaming ?

Back to you Miser Fixit.

Please can I have that again, in English this time :D ?

If I had a choice between being a bad speller and an @sshole, I'd choose the bad speller. That's curable. Your problem, however, seems to be with out remedy. Good luck with that.

Still unable to spell then? I take it you mean 'without' (one word)?

Thankfully, I only make myself look an @sshole (you a Yank?) when I pick people up on basic English, and not with the inability to express myself.