Reds No Longer Allow White People In To Their Camp

Meridian007

In any case, foreigners should not be trying to enter any of the protest sites now. The forum is filled with finger waggers demanding that there be law and order. Well, the government has instructed that people should stay out of the protest areas. Foreigners visiting the areas are disobeying the government and can be accused of encouraging and abetting the protestors.

I agree. Personally, even though I am a long term resident of Thailand, its a Thai issue and therefore non of my concern. In the vernacular, I don't have a dog in this fight.

For the expats that have made long term commitments to Thailand, I can understand their concerns, but again most of us are not Thai citizens and should let the Thais sort it out. Foreigners dressing up in red isn't going to make any difference in the evventual outcome...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's a Thai issue, until it starts raining down hard on the farang.

I was walking up my little street to the main street in the little town we're in, and heard a horn beep behind me. There in a pickup were 3 redshirts in the front, 8 hanging off the back, and a big red flag on the upper lightbar. None of those people looked at all happy to see me. I gave them a big smile and a big wave, and they looked at each other as to say <deleted>? And I nodded and smiled again. So they started smiling and were on their merry way, talking earnestly with one another, and looking back my way.

Were they out to intimidate? I don't think so, I think they were happy just to be showing their support and allegiance to the cause (whatever the cause of the day is, it keeps changing).

It tells me these Issan farmers and laborers are decent people underneath (although I've pretty much felt that way ever since I moved up here), and able to accept that a farang might not be the enemy after all. But, like any group, put thousands of them together under some competent speakers/spinners/motivators, and they could well turn into a mob. Same applies to academics, yellow shirts, army, police, football teams, etc. etc.

Foreigners should keep well away from the protests, i shouldnt have gone there but was curious.

Its got nothing to do with us... unless you are a journalist or have some legit reason for being there.

Foreigners have little understanding of this whole thing to be honest.

Foreigners should keep well away from the protests, i shouldnt have gone there but was curious.

Its got nothing to do with us... unless you are a journalist or have some legit reason for being there.

Foreigners have little understanding of this whole thing to be honest.

Nonsense

I was there today, the reds are very happy to see foreigners, while I was there it was announced that the emissaries from various embassies would be attending later this was received by a huge cheer and much clapping. The reds are very keen for international attention and the more farang there the better in their eyes.

Have to say for the couple of hours I was there I got more smiles and wai's than I've ever had in Thailand

Why do people even talk about politics on here?? rubbish and nonsense and also wierd.

Because it's the same self proclaimed "old asia hands" who claim to know the ins and outs shooting off their stupid mouths. It's the same idiots who fuel dummy columns like Stickman and mango blog or whatever farang flavor of the month nonsense expat forums.

That's no way to talk about JDinasia and Jingthing! :)

Oh come on. Lets face reality.Anyone who has lived in Thailand any length of time knows that most Thais are xenophobic and racist to a certain extent. Whether that becomes toxic or not is another matter. Foreigners are ALWAYS a potential scapegoat here. Of course, Thailand isn't the only country that scapegoats foreigners, but we are talking about Thailand here, and the current political crisis.

From the general tone and leanings of all your posts I would say you are worried that your cozy existence in Thailand is under threat.

Thats the one thing you are correct about. Start making alternative arrangements would be my advice cause there is going to be a HUGE nationalist backlash after the end of the civil war.

I think any sensible expat who is invested in Thailand should be concerned. I don't share your certainty about how this will turn out though. I do think we need to pay close attention. For those who aren't invested in Thailand, well, it doesn't impact you personally, so you can perhaps be more dispassionate about the situation.

So let me get this straight, these people know many of them will be dead before the month is out and are preparing to give their lives, and now there are some tweeting wannabe journalists blaming them for getting a bit on edge?

I see. :)

Excuse me, but I find your bias very nauseating.

Now there's irony.

These reds are illegally occupying a prime section of Bangkok for weeks now. They have caused massive economic damage. They have killed soldiers of the Kingdom of Thailand. They are gathering weapons right now to kill many more government soldiers. They are not innocents! They are all criminals. To avoid violence, they need to do just one peaceful thing. Walk away. Or if they can't do that, lay down in the street when the soldiers come. Do not resist violently. People will NOT get hurt if they just lay down and wait for arrest. Peaceful protest is a wonderful thing. Civil disobedience done with honor and non-violence has a noble history. These occupying reds are nothing like this. Anyone trying to sell them as anything like that must think there are more stupid people out there than really exist.

What a pile of drama queen crap. I expect I'm one of many to add you to their ignore filter. What took me so long?

Yesterday they seemed to be inviting foreigners to the protest site, specifically diplomats from 40 countries, I guess that list might include:

Uganda

Montenegro

UAE

Saudi Arabia

The Solomon Islands

Russia

Cambodia

Nicaragua

But that leaves a lot of spots to fill. Did anyone see any news reports where the diplomats actually took the offer and visited? Was it an empty invitation, or did they just refuse to put their people in danger? I haven't seen any confirmation that it actually took place.

Edited by chadintheusa

You can pretty much guarantee it will turn into Israel-Palestine or a South Thailand situation if the Thai army uses one of those to disperse the protesters.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Israel's a beautiful and enjoyable place to live regardless. And their bad guys are backed by much deeper pockets (not to mention more organized), yet they still can't manage to put any 'progress' together. The local reds are far less formidable. I can see workers being given temporary passes to work in the Bangkok, Samutprakarn, Rayong, Ayutthaya, etc. industrial areas with ghettos set up to house them to keep them separated from the civilized population similar to the system they have set up there.

The local south is a nice little insurgency in a bottle that has been well proven not to affect the lives nor even drawing more than an inkling of international support.

:)

The last time Mark went up North, he had to be helicoptered out. The Red political base has substantial room for growth as their political model will appeal to the lower classes all over Thailand, not just in the North. The Yellow solutions of seizing airports, Military Coups, Judicial Coups and Military suggest Coalition Governments are all short term solutions. That is too large of an area to isolate and I don't think Bangkokians have the stomach for daily grenade attacks. If the Yellows were on top of their game, they would not have allowed themselves to lose half of their country and they would have not allowed a clever police officer to undo 30 years of public relations! Great idea the PAD was - show the masses the power of large demonstrations and political expression, setting the precedent for what is happening now - all so that you could eventually form a coalition government through the standard democratic process. Imagine if they just bribed Newin in 2006 and called it a day. I think Sun Tzu said something about not underestimating your enemies.

Edited by TheItaliann

Perhaps the redshirts are discouraging foreigners on a jaunt because;

1. They actually care about the foreigner's safety or,

2. Are suspicious of the motives of some foreigners and expect some to be spying/troublemakers or,

3. Are aware that a great many foreigners have hostile sentiments. One need only read TV to understand.

In any case, foreigners should not be trying to enter any of the protest sites now. The forum is filled with finger waggers demanding that there be law and order. Well, the government has instructed that people should stay out of the protest areas. Foreigners visiting the areas are disobeying the government and can be accused of encouraging and abetting the protestors.

my first impression was that there may be a safety issue as well. my experience of the majority off red was that they are just normal joes. Increasingly it seems that the majority are being sold a bill of goods and are being used by the powers that be.

certainly the reds in my area have shown concern when i go out with my daughter that i may be heading into the fray.

the recent saladaeng incident certainly seems to bear this out.

people will read into this anything they want though.

ts

Was in the bamboo fortress this morning. We took the car and drove all the way in, from Chit Lom turning right at Phloen Chit into Amarin Plaza. Low numbers there but no doubt due to the rain, but absolutely zero hostility felt towards us on the way in and out.

Despite the low numbers we seen about three separate family groups walking towards the stage with kids below 10 years old, all dressed in the standard red attire.

post-5600-1272100533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Insight

Btw Heng, look at the way the government's plan of action changes every 2 days as the ball gets passed back and forth due to obvious infighting. The Red shirts are a movement with a sole faction, the yellow have 3: Military, Democrats, Economic/Elites. The needs/wants/goals of this Triumphant are going to vary and not always be in line each other. I think a state of permanent Martial Law/social angst will only increase the tension between the three... especially if there are substantially economic shortfalls.

Btw Heng, look at the way the government's plan of action changes every 2 days as the ball gets passed back and forth due to obvious infighting. The Red shirts are a movement with a sole faction, the yellow have 3: Military, Democrats, Economic/Elites. The needs/wants/goals of this Triumphant are going to vary and not always be in line each other.

The reds just haven't had the opportunity to show how out of sync they can be (once they are in power). It's akin to how country folks behave once they discover that one of their relatives has won the lottery/has received a large inheritance/court settlement/etc. Everyone suddenly finds a reason to visit said relative with their own interests in mind. Said relative is typically broke again a few years down the road.

Edited by Heng

How about, the Reds dont want another Farang nosey parker to get hurt....

Honestly I think only journo's should be alowed in, not every bloody thong and singlet wearing tourist who wants to think that they can cause mischeif and crap.

Its honelsty not their fight, stay out of it.

As a side to that I think that farang that call Thailand home who really do feel that what the Reds are fighting for is right then sure, get into it.

reds are all over bangkok.

on can find them everywhere .

they are ubiquitous.

you are not new to thailand, are you?

who serve you your beer in the bar?

who brought you your breakfast in your hotel?

who launfdry your clothes?

who ferry you across bangkok to bring you to work and play?

i for one AM SURE A YELLOWSHIRT DIDF NOT SERVE YOU.

STOP THIS false allegation against the red shirts....

in fact, like you, farangs are looked down by the yellow shirts generally....

especially the farangs who try too hard to molly-cuddle up to the thai elites......namely, the yellow shirts.......

of course without saying a word, the yellow thais just smile it away.....as a cheap thrill they can do without from the farang.....

so stop saying xenophobia come from the red shirts who actually thinks farangs are their saviours....... :):D:D:D:D:D:D

I dont think ANY Thai would ever feel a farang is their savior.

Btw Heng, look at the way the government's plan of action changes every 2 days as the ball gets passed back and forth due to obvious infighting. The Red shirts are a movement with a sole faction, the yellow have 3: Military, Democrats, Economic/Elites. The needs/wants/goals of this Triumphant are going to vary and not always be in line each other.

The reds just haven't had the opportunity to show how out of sync they can be (once they are in power). It's akin to how country folks behave once they discover that one of their relatives has won the lottery/has received a large inheritance/court settlement/etc. Everyone suddenly finds a reason to visit said relative with their own interests in mind. Said relative is typically broke again a few years down the road.

Well seing how Thailand is broke, been broke, and always will be broke.... it shouldn't make much of a difference who is in power. But yes, u do have a point.

Probably. It's also easier to play the protesters than it is to play Government.