Amazon Kindle 2 (or Similar Ebook Reader)

SinghaLover

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about buying an ebook reader and heard that the Amazon Kindle 2 is the best. Do you know any shops here that sell them? Also at which price?

Maybe you already have an ebook reader (can also be a different one than the kindle) and can give some comments on them? Is there a different one that you would recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Singha

I use a SONY PRS-700 and have been using it for the past 3 years.

Sony has a site to purchase ebooks from but one can also get "free" books off the internet in PDF format and load it into the PRS reader.

It has 2 modes of back lit so that you can read in a room with all the lights off.

Reading under the sun is no issue, I use it at the beach all the time.

Am not familiar with the Kindle but the Sony PRS is touch screen so you can turn pages like flipping a page of a paperback.

Hope this helps!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Ipad-Chiang-Mai-t359492.html

Just wait, this is a big year for ebook readers, lots of better and cheaper stuff about to hit the market.

Asus eee ebook reader and Microsoft Courier ebook reader look like the ones to wait for, 1/2 the price and double the functionality.

Asus

http://www.pcworld.com/article/171539/asus...ays_report.html

Microsoft Courier

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/microso...ictures-and-de/

Edited by sarahsbloke

Thanks a lot so far!

The thing is, I mainly need the ebook reader to read books, not a big deal if it would be only black and white as well, as long as I can read in sunlight and the battery life is good.

Of course the Asus one looks very nice, but the thing is I will be traveling for the next 9 months where I would really require an ebook reader. After that, would still be nice to have one but not THAT important. So waiting until the end of the year is kind of pointless for me.

Plus I don't want to spend too much money on it, as I don't need to many extra features. No webcam/text to audio and all that for me.

I hope you can help me. Was planning on going to the Airport Plaza tonight, any shops I should check there? Maybe even secondhand ones (if they have that)?

Cheers,

Singha

ebook readers are as rare as hens teeth in ChiangMai (and double the normal price if you can find one)

I will get a pal to bring one over from the USA when the good stuff comes out.

I'm making do with a PC/notebook until then.

I was in the Sony store at Pantrip plaza yesterday and asked about the Sony reader .....No have!

Edited by sarahsbloke

ebook readers are as rare as hens teeth in ChiangMai (and double the normal price if you can find one)

I will get a pal to bring one over from the USA when the good stuff comes out.

I'm making do with a PC/notebook until then.

I was in the Sony store at Pantrip plaza yesterday and asked about the Sony reader .....No have!

Hmm that certainly sucks. Might think about either trying Bangkok or wait until September when I will be in Ecuador to buy one. Not sure what the prices there are though.

I've been using the Sony 505 for over a year now, reading 2-3 hours a day. I like everything about this model. I don't need any bells and whistles, nor the glare you often get with a touch screen, so the cheaper Sony works fine for me. There are hundreds of thousands of legally free books available for download from Project Gutenberg, Google, and a host of other locations. If you don't mind pirated goods, you can find all the newest best-sellers available for free too. It you want legal copies of those, the cost is about half of what you would pay at a NewBook store for a tree version, but you can shop from the convenience of your computer and download immediately. I ordered mine from the US, through B&H Video, and had it shipped overseas and into my hands within a week.

As someone said, there are many new brands and models coming out every month, but like computers, some folks will wait... and wait.... and wait.... because there is ALWAYS something newer coming out. Other folks will buy what suits now and use... and use... and use.... contented to be able to use the product they have. If you want a color screen or to read text plus graphics, etc., then the Sony nor the Kindle2 are to be desired. But to just read a book... Sony has less to go wrong and no glare to the screen.

I purchased a Kindle II just before the "international" model arrived. I still have no difficulty downloading new purchases by way of computer and I'net and shifting them into my device.

It is for me perfect in every way - legible, extremely lightweight, and handy to use. Battery lasts a VERY long time. But I purchased it in the States, so have no idea about Thailand and pricing - or the pricing situation with direct downloads. One of my thoughts was to take advantage of the old classics offerings - all of Dickens for 99 cents and so forth, so I have scores of books (all of Shakespeare for 33 baht, counts as one, Tolstoy and...) that I should have read in my first youth, had I not been working while schooling and satisfying only minimum requirements.

Other posters are correct in suggesting that the market is evolving to our benefit, I think. But one of those gyrations that I hate is that Amazon's policy of trying to hold the line of new popular editions at $9.99 U.S. is being challenged by B & N, who are tying up publishers with contracts promising higher prices per volume - at least 20% more. Market may end up with very cheap reading devices and expensive contents - as with other realms. Availability becomes the serious question.

Of course, since arriving in C.M., I've been delighted by other old-fashioned alternatives - I love the paper. But we do not have anything akin to the breadth of choice afforded by Kindle and others - and they nothing remotely akin to our state-wide consortia that have grown in the U.S. (free in my state) - certainly the greatest loss to lament in living in Chiang Mai. For example, I ran across an amusing book by Arthur Upfield, story a detective type, that has fascinating views of the outback in Oz 75 years or so - something of a travelogue and dated social commentary. Not available at all from I'net sources, little in CM, few around to buy from I'net sources as real books. But use my library in my State, and the series comes to hand. Virtually all "serious" books fall into that pattern, except fiction perhaps.

Edited by CMX

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Ipad-Chiang-Mai-t359492.html

Just wait, this is a big year for ebook readers, lots of better and cheaper stuff about to hit the market.

Asus eee ebook reader and Microsoft Courier ebook reader look like the ones to wait for, 1/2 the price and double the functionality.

Asus

http://www.pcworld.com/article/171539/asus...ays_report.html

Microsoft Courier

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/microso...ictures-and-de/

I want! I want! Such a simple piece of kit, I hope the Burmese start making it soon! :)

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Project GutenbergProject Gutenberg is the place where you can download over 30000 free ebooks to read on your PC, iPhone, Kindle, Sony Reader or other portable device. ...

Microsoft Courier

microsoft-courier-booklet-tablet.jpg

Asus

4d21e_asus-eee-reader-dual-color-touchscreens.jpg

I've been using the Sony 505 for over a year now, reading 2-3 hours a day. I like everything about this model. I don't need any bells and whistles, nor the glare you often get with a touch screen, so the cheaper Sony works fine for me. There are hundreds of thousands of legally free books available for download from Project Gutenberg, Google, and a host of other locations. If you don't mind pirated goods, you can find all the newest best-sellers available for free too. It you want legal copies of those, the cost is about half of what you would pay at a NewBook store for a tree version, but you can shop from the convenience of your computer and download immediately. I ordered mine from the US, through B&H Video, and had it shipped overseas and into my hands within a week.

As someone said, there are many new brands and models coming out every month, but like computers, some folks will wait... and wait.... and wait.... because there is ALWAYS something newer coming out. Other folks will buy what suits now and use... and use... and use.... contented to be able to use the product they have. If you want a color screen or to read text plus graphics, etc., then the Sony nor the Kindle2 are to be desired. But to just read a book... Sony has less to go wrong and no glare to the screen.

Agreed, I`ve had my Sony prs505 for two years now , just like reading a book , and incredible storage capacity , got loadsa reading material and none of the hassles of carting books around , really very happy with mine !

How is the readability of pdf files on these e-readers (for example the Sony one)?

Not talking about scientific books with lots of pictures, just regular all text books with a cover.

As comfortable as reading a paper book.... IF... the conversion to digital was done properly.

Most pdf files work very well on my Sony 505. A few don't. For those that do not, I find a copy in a different format and use the free software 'Calibre' to convert it to epub format which ALWAYS works well! If you 'need' perfect pdf rendering, use the brand 'Irex.' It can deal with all kinds of pdf files, including graphics.