Why Are There No Petrol Stations In The Jomtien Area?

rmicheald

Does anyone have an idea why there are no petrol stations on the Beach side of Pattaya? I drive from Jomtien Beach to Naklua for work and unless I go up Tepprasit or up to Suhkamvit, there are no petrol stations. Doesn't make sense.

Does anyone have an idea why there are no petrol stations on the Beach side of Pattaya?

I drive from Jomtien Beach to Naklua for work and unless I go up Tepprasit or up to Suhkamvit,

there are no petrol stations. Doesn't make sense.

I do not look to much for Petrol Stations because I only use a bike

and for bikes there is "stations" everywhere in Pattaya :)

"from Jomtien Beach to Naklua" ?

I remember at least one (Shell ?) just after Big C on 2nd Rd before the Naklua roundabout.

Does anyone have an idea why there are no petrol stations on the Beach side of Pattaya?

I drive from Jomtien Beach to Naklua for work and unless I go up Tepprasit or up to Suhkamvit,

there are no petrol stations. Doesn't make sense.

I do not look to much for Petrol Stations because I only use a bike

and for bikes there is "stations" everywhere in Pattaya :D

"from Jomtien Beach to Naklua" ?

I remember at least one (Shell ?) just after Big C on 2nd Rd before the Naklua roundabout.

Yes, I fill up there when I'm in Pattaya. :)

I agree it's a pain not having a regular gasoline (petrol) station in Jomtien. Hopefully they can put one on the 2nd road Jomtien extension if and when they complete it, I can't see them putting one right near the beach. I've been caught more than a few times nearly empty (motorbike) and had to pay the 30 baht a bottle at the taxi stands. In the meantime we just have to work around it and the trip up Thepprasit isn't that far really.

Edited by gerry53

Possibly it is something to do with the cost of land and profit expectations.

I have noticed most towns and cities suffer from a lack of filling stations except on the main through roads.

Does your route take you anywhere near the filling station on South Pattaya Road?

Agree with Loong, it's most likely the cost of land.

There used to be one where Tops is now located on the corner of Klang and Second Road, and one just farther along Second road from that corner but it was probably more profitable to sell the land and move to another location.

Or maybe they were leasing and the land owner wanted to increase the rent or sell the land.

i'm sorry, but i do have to admit that i'm under the opinion that this thread should be up for the thread of the day competition. it's really a silly question but after trying to be funny and failing (but i did give the correct answer), i have put serious thought into this and i can ease all of your concerns on the double.

there are plenty of petrol stations in the Jomtien Area. they are typically wooden benches, sometimes bamboo is the wood of choice. most likely because bamboo looks like "hey, we're having a party, come on in!". anyway, you will find these benches lined with expired Johnny Walker bottles and the sort filled with gasoline and being available for purchase and vehicle consumption at approximately 25-30baht per bottle.

but, if you don't like that answer, i have another one: because this isn't America. Jomtien does not need everything, everywhere. drive 2 miles up Thepprasit. no problems, have gas, can buy.

my question now... does Jomtien require such an amenity? if you start putting in gas stations, where will we put all the 7-11s? on Thepprasit? oh, hel_l no...

I have noticed most towns and cities suffer from a lack of filling stations except on the main through roads.

Does your route take you anywhere near the filling station on South Pattaya Road?

I would agree, there is plenty of land off the new 2nd Road but I would suspect that the owners are waiting for "Silly Money", I doubt any one could buy land at a viable price to be able to build a Filling Station and have a return that could justify the outlay.

I have no idea why there are no petrol stations on your route to work. Probably something due to land prices and passing trade. You generaly find petrol stations on big roads where there are a lot of customers passing. I assume you're driving a car, although if you're driving a bike, the advice is the same - PLAN AHEAD.

i'm sorry, but i do have to admit that i'm under the opinion that this thread should be up for the thread of the day competition. it's really a silly question but after trying to be funny and failing (but i did give the correct answer), i have put serious thought into this and i can ease all of your concerns on the double.

there are plenty of petrol stations in the Jomtien Area. they are typically wooden benches, sometimes bamboo is the wood of choice. most likely because bamboo looks like "hey, we're having a party, come on in!". anyway, you will find these benches lined with expired Johnny Walker bottles and the sort filled with gasoline and being available for purchase and vehicle consumption at approximately 25-30baht per bottle.

but, if you don't like that answer, i have another one: because this isn't America. Jomtien does not need everything, everywhere. drive 2 miles up Thepprasit. no problems, have gas, can buy.

my question now... does Jomtien require such an amenity? if you start putting in gas stations, where will we put all the 7-11s? on Thepprasit? oh, hel_l no...

that jonnie walker they make there tastes orrible !!

Retail gasoline sales is a low-margin business so likely cost of land and low population/car density in jomtien is cause of lack of stations. There are a couple mid-way up Thepressit, however. Interesting enough, East Pattaya has neighborhood petrol stations along all our major sois including SSCC, NPW, Kao Talo, and Kao Noi...nothing beats living in East Pattaya :)

Retail gasoline sales is a low-margin business so likely cost of land and low population/car density in jomtien is cause of lack of stations. There are a couple mid-way up Thepressit, however. Interesting enough, East Pattaya has neighborhood petrol stations along all our major sois including SSCC, NPW, Kao Talo, and Kao Noi...nothing beats living in East Pattaya :D

New one going up on the Huay Yai road too!! :) should be open very soon! :D

<br />i'm sorry, but i do have to admit that i'm under the opinion that this thread should be up for the thread of the day competition. it's really a silly question but after trying to be funny and failing (but i did give the correct answer), i have put serious thought into this and i can ease all of your concerns on the double.<br /><br />there are plenty of petrol stations in the Jomtien Area. they are typically wooden benches, sometimes bamboo is the wood of choice. most likely because bamboo looks like &quot;hey, we're having a party, come on in!&quot;. anyway, you will find these benches lined with expired Johnny Walker bottles and the sort filled with gasoline and being available for purchase and vehicle consumption at approximately 25-30baht per bottle.<br /><br />but, if you don't like that answer, i have another one: because this isn't America. Jomtien does not need everything, everywhere. drive 2 miles up Thepprasit. no problems, have gas, can buy.<br /><br />my question now... does Jomtien require such an amenity? if you start putting in gas stations, where will we put all the 7-11s? on Thepprasit? oh, hel_l no...<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />LOL, he want to know why there are no petrol stations on the beach side of Pattaya, not Jomtien. Confusing as the post title says Jomtien, but the post body asks about Pattaya. <br /><br />That being said... I am from the USA and I find it very odd that there are no petrol stations on second or third road of Pattaya. Edited by DAndrew

I use the Caltex (I think?) station on Sukhumvit just before Tesco Lotus Theppresit. Very friendly staff and good service, much better than the ting-tong Thai filling stations on Thepprasit itself. For bikes, it's not a problem as just about every other motorbike taxi station and mom & pop shop sells it by the bottle. I ride a motorbike with sahling, so it really doesn't bother me.

That being said... I am from the USA and I find it very odd that there are no petrol stations on second or third road of Pattaya.

There is one on second road as has previously been mentioned - North Pattaya, close to the roundabout. The reason there isn't one on third road is probably because of its origins. Only a few years ago 3rd road was a windy little 2 lane back street that no-one used. They had to purchase loads of land and knock down quite a few houses to make it what it is today.

I don't believe it has much to do with the cost of the land. It has to do with access and potential business. For example, Shell on 2nd Road past Big C has the slowest trade I've seen at any petrol station in Pattaya. Compare this one with the Shell Station on Pattaya Tai just up from 3rd Road. The Pattaya Tai station is on a two-way road whereas the 2nd Road Shell Station is on a one-way road.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd Road Shell Station closes in the near future, just as the other one (can't remember name) did on 2nd Road a few years ago.

Retail gasoline sales is a low-margin business so likely cost of land and low population/car density in jomtien is cause of lack of stations. There are a couple mid-way up Thepressit, however. Interesting enough, East Pattaya has neighborhood petrol stations along all our major sois including SSCC, NPW, Kao Talo, and Kao Noi...nothing beats living in East Pattaya :D

New one going up on the Huay Yai road too!! :) should be open very soon! :D

I saw that, I will use it :D

I would NEVER use a shell station. if you search the past posts, you will fine they are notorious for ripping people off. There a many posts about people who have gone into the shell station and the pump was not reset and they were charged for the past sale plus what they used. NEVER, EVER....

I would NEVER use a shell station. if you search the past posts, you will fine they are notorious for ripping people off. There a many posts about people who have gone into the shell station and the pump was not reset and they were charged for the past sale plus what they used. NEVER, EVER....

I think you will find that refers to ONE particular Shell station, and if you actually read the past posts, it is very easy to make sure you are not ripped off, .!!

That's a highly dramatic reaction to some isolated, unfounded reports of foul play. They could have even been unintended errors by pump attendants. I always use Shell stations and have never been ripped off. It would only take a quick glance at the pump to alleviate your paranoia.

You were asking about petrol stations in the Jomtien beach area for the sake of your convenience. I find it weird that you're concerned about convenience yet you'd drive out of your way to avoid Shell Stations. The only 2 stations near the beach in Pattaya are Shell.

Edited by tropo

That Shell station thread was so amusing. The OP was warning people not to go there as there were rip-offs going on but most of the follow-up posters were people who had deliberately gone there to check if they were ripped-off, which they usually were: "I decided to check this out, went there and sure enough, I was ripped-off!".

So their trade probably increased for a while!

I don't believe it has much to do with the cost of the land. It has to do with access and potential business. For example, Shell on 2nd Road past Big C has the slowest trade I've seen at any petrol station in Pattaya. Compare this one with the Shell Station on Pattaya Tai just up from 3rd Road. The Pattaya Tai station is on a two-way road whereas the 2nd Road Shell Station is on a one-way road.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd Road Shell Station closes in the near future, just as the other one (can't remember name) did on 2nd Road a few years ago.

Slowest trade and the slowest service! :):D