Fastest Production Pickup Truck

I should also say that if I were buying a pickup to have some fun with (mine's just a workhorse) I'd be getting myself the Navara Calibre 6-speed MT and modding it - that one's 174 HP/403Nm stock, and I reckon it wouldn't be too hard to coax 250HP/500Nm out of it with a chip and some exhaust work..

But the 174 hp version is already a 'tuned up" version of the standard 2.5? How much more could be coaxed out of it? Is it just the 4.4 with the 174 hp motor? It's an interesting alternative though:)

Sorry but the Calibrfe has 144 Hp instead of 174.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should also say that if I were buying a pickup to have some fun with (mine's just a workhorse) I'd be getting myself the Navara Calibre 6-speed MT and modding it - that one's 174 HP/403Nm stock, and I reckon it wouldn't be too hard to coax 250HP/500Nm out of it with a chip and some exhaust work..

But the 174 hp version is already a 'tuned up" version of the standard 2.5? How much more could be coaxed out of it? Is it just the 4.4 with the 174 hp motor? It's an interesting alternative though:)

I'm referring to the MT version, not the AT :)

I'm referring to the MT version, not the AT :)

as far as I know 177 hp is only available in 4x4, so no Calibre, MT nor AT.

So I still believe a 3,0 MT 2 door Vigo at 1600kg and 163 hp/343Nm 1400-3400 rpm is the fastest production pickup in LOS

The Nissan TH website would have you believe there's only one variant of the Calibre Extended Cab 6MT RWD, when there's actually three.

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/th/vehic...S10BH&new=1

So do the Nissan brochures and sales staff. They all say 174 hp in 4x4 only. This put me off from the relatively inexpensive 2wd navara when ordering new pu last year

Edited by katabeachbum

Redbook is a bit iffy. they quote my car as having a 4 speed auto when in fact its got a 5 speed!

i guess, the fifth is overdrive and they didn't count that. Similar whan they caunth the 3 liter 2 JZ as a 4 speed auto. Actually it got one overdive (electronic) and one mecanical over drive (converter) lock up (which comes in function autmaticly about 140 km/h). So in this case, correctly, it would be a 6 speed auto transmission.

I've spent quite a bit of time looking for a new pick up and I thin the whole set-up is an utter disgrace

I'm absolutely astounded by the profound ignorance of the sales staff.,,,even the "technical staff"

The lack of options available on each model

The complete in ability to offer any discount or buyer incentives

the entire thing is a stitch up.

As they can't supply any of the options I need without voiding their pathetically imbalanced guarantees, I'm going to buy secondhand and fit myself.

Does anybody happen to have the official top speeds and torque numbers for production pickups in Thailand?

I drove up to Mai Sai from Chiang Mai doing a visa run in my chipped Pajero sport 3.2 and I was racing against some of the other boy racers on the road (as you do). I was quite surprised at the speed of some of the pickups, especially the Nissan Navara, which proved to be the most difficult to loose.

Another observation was the speed of the 2.5 turbo diesels, they didn't appear to be any slower than the 3.0 TD's. Which poses the question of why do people pay the extra for the 3.0 TD? I'm sure that I will get shot down in flames for this comment and as I haven't driven both vehicles.

For the folks that don't know this road, it's mountainous, with lots of bends and best suited for torquey vehicles.

Happy motoring wink.gif

Are you sure they were actually racing? rolleyes.gif Maybe it was your imagination that you were "racing" with actually were just trying to get home in time for dinner and came upon a moronic farang imagining he was in a race. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (stingray @ 2010-05-31 10:28:16) It's discusting. My problem is: How can exiting about a 4 potter diesel, when had the "real stuff" in our homecountry?

BTW, have a Ford Wildtrack overhere. Nice looking truck (it looks at least american made). The downside is the 4 potter diesel. Good for town, enought power in the lower speedrange. But not to compare with a V8 or V10. Therefore i use it very rare (maybe once a month).

If you have about 500K baht to spend on a 4 pot diesel you will get the same proformance as a V8 if not better

No not nuts at all

Cost of importing a V8 ute from Oz $$$$$

Cost of a new pickup and spend 500K just over a million baht. Go see how much proformance you are going to get here and Australia with 30K

For 500K Baht you can put an LS3 with a T56 tranny in Thai pickup - which would be a as dead-easy as the same conversion in an E36.. It sounds like you're an Aussie, so you know what that means, and where it can go to :D

I've posted some (Thai) links for crate engines elsewhere on these forums if you're interested - Google should find them :)

I did think about a motor swap but I get a kick out of blowing boy racers away in a 2.5ltr diesel and abuse from old farts on the internet. :)

The 2.5 litre are cheap to replace and if I blow this one I will have a diesel motor built from scratch to take the power.

The 400hp mark isnt really that much compared with moden v8s but the 700 nm of torq is where the fun is third gear at 100+ with wheel spin

I did think about a motor swap but I get a kick out of blowing boy racers away in a 2.5ltr diesel and abuse from old farts on the internet. :)

The 2.5 litre are cheap to replace and if I blow this one I will have a diesel motor built from scratch to take the power.

The 400hp mark isnt really that much compared with moden v8s but the 700 nm of torq is where the fun is third gear at 100+ with wheel spin

you can solve the wheel spin by adding a few of these on the back laugh.gif

buffalo.jpg

Let me know if you do - I have one with just 5,000KM on the clock you can have for market price, and a contact for a used LS1 on the cheap :)

No not nuts at all

Cost of importing a V8 ute from Oz $$$$$

Cost of a new pickup and spend 500K just over a million baht. Go see how much proformance you are going to get here and Australia with 30K

I agree.. Factory HP is just so expensive here in LOS that making it yourself really is the only way to do it without it costing you the equivelant of a small moo-ban worth of houses.. 1M isn't a lot to spend at all, considering that includes the price of a new vehicle.

It's a pity that there's not more 'affordable' (i.e. < 3M Baht) petrol engined vehicles worth tweaking though.. The best results you can get out of a (new) passenger car in the price range of a pickup (i.e. 600K'ish) is engine-swapping a Jazz or Yaris, which will get you into the 13's or 14's, but in that your'e still creating the second worst sounding car on the road - after a Wankel of course :) Even the coming 1.6L Fiesta with it's 6speed DSG is only good for ~170HP with forced induction (and 150HP N/A), so nothing too exciting on horizon either :D

If old cars didn't drive me insane with their sqeaks, rattles, broken bits, horrid interiors, constant repairs and yesteryear road manners, I'd be swapping a V8 into an older 3-series whistling.gif