England World Cup Discussion Thread

mommysboy

Well, that was the worst England display for a long time against a really bad Algerian team. No inspiration, no captain, Rooney's worst ever game, but nobody had even a decent game. I thought that Algeria would tire and they did, but England tired even more.

THere was nothing wrong with the Algerian team, they punched above their weight and did their bit to make Engeland look shit.... well maybe not, Rooney & Co managed that all on their own. But don't knock the Algerians they did well.

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone really expect anything else from England. Im english and proud but we are on par with France in my opinion. Have lots of good individual players but cant play together as a team.

We have to change 4,4,2 and go with 4,5,1 with Rooney up top on his own gerrard playing off him Heskey should be nowhere near the pitch !!!. And how Joe Cole has not even played 1 minute is just a joke.

Things have got change or we are going home. :)

So if the formation changed to 4.5.1 Rooney would suddenly be transformed? I think it might take more than that. The commentator I was listening to said there was a statistic ( I think he added it was not verified) from the USA match that claimed there was a 17 minute period wher Rooney did not touch the ball.

They all look tense and miserable, no pride no passion in playing for their country.

after the Algeria game, Rooney insults English fans that have paid £1000's to travel to South Africa...

well you little p*ick, maybe you should've played better than a bag of $hit..? perhaps then they might not have boo'd you (the people that travelled at their great expense to watch you)...

Woeful....if Rooney wasn't "Wayne Rooney" he would not start another game in this world cup...

But he will play every minute no matter how crap he is playing. I'm a big fan of Rooney but it's like watching a totally different player...surely there's been a mix up and this is just some drunken look-a-like from down the pub?

And i don't understand the formation concept of having Gerrard playing on the "left", but actually running a free role and just having no one on the left side...? Maybe he should just put all 11 players down the right, then we'd really batter them...

I don't get Capello. During qaulifying england were rolling over teams 4-1, 4-2 etc and come the world cup he has gone all conservative.

For F sake put heskey on the bench, put dawson in for carra, one holding mf in front of the back 4, gerrard behind rooney, cole on the left and open the game up. Screw that 442.. I would even go further - extreme times these are.

Hart/James

Johnson Dawson Terry Cole

Carrick

Lampard

Defoe Gerrard J.Cole

Rooney

If that line-up can't score at least 3 against slovenia, they deserve to go home/the beach

Edited by bkkjames

well you little p*ick, maybe you should've played better than a bag of $hit..? perhaps then they might not have boo'd you (the people that travelled at their great expense to watch you)...

Players don't choose to play like shit you know.

Still, i agree that Rooney should have kept his mouth shut. Fans prerogative if they want to boo. I wouldn't do it, but up to them.

By the end of the game England were like a sick dog in need of putting out of its misery.

They were all terrible, but if i had to single one out it would be Gerrard. So many lazy off target passes, so many uninspiring corners, so little creativity... none of the usual Gerrard bite, grit and determination. As captain he should have been going crazy in the second half, getting players fired up and driving them on. Completely flat. No ideas.

Still think we have a good chance of going through - refuse to believe we can perform that badly for three games in a row... but to be honest, what is the point of staying in the competition? Haven't we suffered enough?

Sorry mate, but i think the Slovenians will be confident of a draw and more than a little hopeful of a win.

Nil, nil would seem to be the most likely

As James has just alluded to, we'll have to go out guns blazing and i pray to god we do. Play with no fear and hit them with all we've got, and we might just muster a performance. At this stage, nothing to lose.

I don't get Capello. During qaulifying england were rolling over teams 4-1, 4-2 etc and come the world cup he has gone all conservative.

For F sake put heskey on the bench, put dawson in for carra, one holding mf in front of the back 4, gerrard behind rooney, cole on the left and open the game up. Screw that 442.. I would even go further - extreme times these are.

Hart/James

Carrick

Lampard

Defoe Gerrard J.Cole

Rooney

If that line-up can't score at least 3 against slovenia, they deserve to go home/the beach

Defoe

I agree with that team, save the dropping of Barry, as i thought he was something bordering ok, and better than Carrick who is out of form anyway. That carthorse Carragher should never have been playing anyway, not that he was ant more aweful than the others, but christ is he slow.

Fact is, this team is relatively easy to pick, but will he? On the evidence so far, no! What is it with him and Wright-Philips?!!

Hart/James

Carrick

Lampard

Defoe Gerrard J.Cole

Rooney

Defoe

I agree with that team, save the dropping of Barry, as i thought he was something bordering ok, and better than Carrick who is out of form anyway. That carthorse Carragher should never have been playing anyway, not that he was ant more aweful than the others, but christ is he slow.

Fact is, this team is relatively easy to pick, but will he? On the evidence so far, no! What is it with him and Wright-Philips?!!

I think Wright-Philips is Capello's bitch:o

Hart/James

Carrick

Lampard

Defoe Gerrard J.Cole

Rooney

Defoe

I think Wright-Philips is Capello's bitch:o

Thats the most logical explanation.

Mindyou, with the decisions he's making i'm starting to think Don Fabio is a double agent :) Emile <deleted>-ckin Heskey...top of the goal prevention league averaging about one in nine for England and from the evidence of the last two games not doing copious amounts to enhance whats left of Rooney's game.

What is it with him and Wright-Philips?!!

I could say the same about you guys and Joe Cole. On what grounds do you think he'll perform any better? I mean, i agree he couldn't play worse so might as well give him a shot, but he's as much as a gamble in my opinion.

What is it with him and Wright-Philips?!!

I could say the same about you guys and Joe Cole. On what grounds do you think he'll perform any better? I mean, i agree he couldn't play worse so might as well give him a shot, but he's as much as a gamble in my opinion.

If you had a poll on here yesterday based on the selection of Joe Cole or Wright-Philips, 95% minimum would have chosen Cole i believe. What's the point because i bet you would have too?

It's simple, he adds more balance and is a better player.

Have to say the England players look like they would rather be elsewhere. Overpaid and over rated. It is a disgrace these players who mostly each get 100 grand a week and yet most of those who have travelled to support them would not get anything like that in a year, and hence are entitled to boo such a pathetic and timid performance, No pace, no balls, no idea!

One newspaper said it was not Cape Town but Cape Fear.

(And I liked the blog comments I read about if those awful Scots start gloating, they ought to remember they failed to qualify and the only thing they can qualify for is housing benefit!)

As to Rooney's remarks, well the usually foul mouthed Wayne has been exposed as not being up to the task.

Likewise for Capello, who is now revealed as not up to the standards of a national team manager.

So as an Englishman may I say to my fellow compatriots that despite the shame and embarassment of a woeful and shambolic performance by people who should not be wearing the England shirt and whose main motivation is greed and money, try not to let that ruin the rest of the tournament for you.

Remember:

The reality is that if the truth be known the England players could not care less about their performances, so:

why should we?

comically inept.

not one player in the england side comfortable having possession of the ball. get it, one touch to control, get rid of it. algeria's players happy to have five, six, seven touches in possession to slow the move down and wait for team mates to make moves to receive it. england are a pub side.

If you had a poll on here yesterday based on the selection of Joe Cole or Wright-Philips, 95% minimum would have chosen Cole i believe. What's the point because i bet you would have too?

Yes i would have chosen him but not because of any great faith or belief i have in him, but simply because what we are doing plainly isn't working and we need to try something new.

I don't know how anyone can confidently claim he's a better player when he's been out of the game for so long. What form is he in? Who knows?

Yes i would have chosen him but not because of any great faith or belief i have in him, but simply because what we are doing plainly isn't working and we need to try something new.

I don't know how anyone can confidently claim he's a better player when he's been out of the game for so long. What form is he in? Who knows?

I agree with you Rix, though i'm saying he's better because i think SWP is so crap. What on earth is he doing in the squad?

This whole thread is talking specs about English team. rather boring. There are a wealth of more exciting and skilled teams out there.

Go Uruguay!

Re; the Portugal / N.Korea game. It could be grudge match by the N.Koreans. The earlier time when N.korea were in the W.Cup (England, '66) they were ahead 3-0 against the Portuguese at half time. In the second half, the P's scored 5 unanswered goals and won the game.

Edited by brahmburgers

I agree with you Rix, though i'm saying he's better because i think SWP is so crap. What on earth is he doing in the squad?

There are many in the squad who should n't be there,for example,king,carragher,heskey.I am amazed the coach did n't blood younger players during the last 2 years and include them.England look old and tired.

Have to say the England players look like they would rather be elsewhere. Overpaid and over rated. It is a disgrace these players who mostly each get 100 grand a week and yet most of those who have travelled to support them would not get anything like that in a year, and hence are entitled to boo such a pathetic and timid performance, No pace, no balls, no idea!

One newspaper said it was not Cape Town but Cape Fear.

(And I liked the blog comments I read about if those awful Scots start gloating, they ought to remember they failed to qualify and the only thing they can qualify for is housing benefit!)

As to Rooney's remarks, well the usually foul mouthed Wayne has been exposed as not being up to the task.

Likewise for Capello, who is now revealed as not up to the standards of a national team manager.

So as an Englishman may I say to my fellow compatriots that despite the shame and embarassment of a woeful and shambolic performance by people who should not be wearing the England shirt and whose main motivation is greed and money, try not to let that ruin the rest of the tournament for you.

Remember:

The reality is that if the truth be known the England players could not care less about their performances, so:

why should we?

Looks like i'll be supporting Brazil even earlier than usual this tournament. :) i just can't take this England side and coach seriously anymore.

He said "Nice to see your home fans boo you, that's loyal supporters."

Loyal supporters that paid a lot of money to see him play and he let them down. No sympathies from me.

Actually very typical and predictable response for an English player, couldn't be our fault it must be your loyalty as we never just play sub par, we're English after all....Too bad we (the U.S.) had a rookie ref that called a <deleted> game or you'd not even have the chance at another game..There were plenty of other games/groups they could/should have used him that are/were less critical...

JFYI when I first posted I was maintaining objectivity even though it was England V U.S. but since that was not reciprocated and all of the usual nationalist <deleted> took off I've changed my direction as well..

So green didn't play I wonder how that change effected the teams psyche and that confidence some posters claimed they didn't need obviously it didn't boost them any..

It's been all over the news how the English team has been basically coddled by having an entirely new secluded resort all to themselves, it seems like that wasn't a good idea either raising them up on such a high pedestal before achieving the desired goals.. Oh well you've got your work ahead of you now don't you? Good luck!!

Could say that about much of the squad mate. When Capello got the job he made it clear players would be picked on form, not on their name. We had all the business with Beckham being dropped initially for that very reason.

Push come to shove it's all been thrown out the window, and we are back with the same old faces. I mean?! <deleted>. Heskey???!!! Give me strength.

Too little too late......Your team simply aren't good enough. Tinker to your hearts content gents but it won't make any difference at all.

:)

All we need now is our German friend to show his face for a gloat. Perhaps he's too busy licking his own wounds.

JFYI when I first posted I was maintaining objectivity even though it was England V U.S. but since that was not reciprocated and all of the usual nationalist <deleted> took off I've changed my direction as well..

Can you please quote exactly who wrote this nationalistic <deleted> because all i read was an exchange of opinion with you saying why Green should be kept in the squad, and others disagreeing. That's all there was to it. Unless i missed something?

He said "Nice to see your home fans boo you, that's loyal supporters."

Loyal supporters that paid a lot of money to see him play and he let them down. No sympathies from me.

Actually very typical and predictable response for an English player, couldn't be our fault it must be your loyalty as we never just play sub par, we're English after all....Too bad we (the U.S.) had a rookie ref that called a <deleted> game or you'd not even have the chance at another game..There were plenty of other games/groups they could/should have used him that are/were less critical...

So green didn't play I wonder how that change effected the teams psyche and that confidence some posters claimed they didn't need obviously it didn't boost them any..

It's been all over the news how the English team has been basically coddled by having an entirely new secluded resort all to themselves, it seems like that wasn't a good idea either raising them up on such a high pedestal before achieving the desired goals.. Oh well you've got your work ahead of you now don't you? Good luck!!

Woeful....if Rooney wasn't "Wayne Rooney" he would not start another game in this world cup...

But he will play every minute no matter how crap he is playing. I'm a big fan of Rooney but it's like watching a totally different player...surely there's been a mix up and this is just some drunken look-a-like from down the pub?

And i don't understand the formation concept of having Gerrard playing on the "left", but actually running a free role and just having no one on the left side...? Maybe he should just put all 11 players down the right, then we'd really batter them...

actually his name is shrek, hes an oga and comes from the land of far far away lol.

Edited by tigerfish

There are many in the squad who should n't be there,for example,king,carragher,heskey.I am amazed the coach did n't blood younger players during the last 2 years and include them.England look old and tired.

like who? there aren't really that many good young english players.

england will never win a world cup until some of their players get out of the comfort zone of the premier league, go to spain, france, italy and germany and learn other ways of playing. styles that involve keeping possession and being patient to open teams up. beckenbauer was spot on earlier this week.

Hart/James

Carrick

Lampard

Defoe Gerrard J.Cole

Rooney

Totally agree about the 4-4-2, it is a defunct formation and has been jettisoned by all top teams around the world, nobody plays it, you look at all the teams at the world cup its all 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-2-1. The one constant with these formations is everybody is playing with one up top and then your two most creative players (Gerard, Cole) behind your central striker (Rooney), one midfielder sitting in the middle to connect defence and attack ( Lampard) two holding midfielders ( Milner, Barry). The wing play in this system is offered by your full backs, look at Maicon for Brazil, Ramos for Spain, Lahm for Germany these players get more crosses in for their teams than any other players on the pitch.

The worst problem I saw last night was England completely ignoring the left side of the pitch. Ashley Cole a great attacking full back if he has support, was left completely isolated, because Gerard simply will not stay left side, consequently everything was coming over to the right where the 100m sprinter ( Lennon, being able to run fast does not make a footballer ) kept losing the ball.

As for Heskey you have to ask if Martin Oneill, once his greatest supporter, has lost faith in him by playing John Carew for Villa why in the name Gods earth is he an automatic choice for England, there seemed to be a force field around him last night that the ball kept bouncing off. This wasn't always the case think back to when Heskey first joined Liverpool and played up top with Owen he scored 22 goals that season, what happened to that player.

If Carragher plays another game for England I am going to be putting a large bet on him getting sent off, he has always played on the borderline of the laws and I think he gets away with a lot in the premier league which he is not getting away with at the world cup.

Poor, piss poor. No excuses for that - where was the f*ckin passion?. Chasing the lost causes / crunching into tackles / winning the second phase balls in midfield................missing, what we saw was a sterile, abject performance. I don't expect to see England knocking the ball around like Spain or being particularly comfortable in possession.....I know thats not England because I've watched them for decades......but the tempo has to be high. If they squeak out of the group I'd be surprised, because Slovenia are a better team than Algeria, they let the yanks off the hook yesterday, after being 2-0 up thinking they had done all the hard work (massive credit to USA for coming back though and should have won it), don't think they'd let it happen again.

Oh, and Fabio, If Rooney isn't fit........chnage him out.

It might be just me, but having watched England tie with the USA last night (this morning), it appears to me FIFA is continuing it's long campaign of systematic bias against England evident since the late '80's. Perhaps the USA bunged the linesman an attache case full of money for making the farcical offside calls against Crouch and Heskey (among other bad calls and omissions)! Not to mention all the shirt-pulling and flying boots to which the referee turned a blind-eye. We'd have an easy ride through our group if only we were on a level-playing field.

Why does FIFA skews its pitch for England?

I think Nicks been on walkabout a little too long.

Maybe, but I'm curious....how do you rate the referees performance in the first half of our Algerian match? Do you think Coulibaly should be suspended after the USA match? I don't drink and am generally watching these matches alone, so I catch things others might miss or be talking through with their mates.

Edited by nickgonewalkabout