Former Thai Coup Leader Sonthi Ready To Help Advance Democracy

webfact

Former coup leader ready to help advance democracy

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_15339.jpg

Former junta leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin has voiced readiness to help advancing democracy by contesting the next general election in his present capacity as the leader of Matubhum Party.

BANGKOK: -- Sonthi has also backed the government's road map for reconciliation, saying he sees it as the key to overcome the social divisions.

"The fostering of national reconciliation is deemed nececessary under the circumstances because the predicament can only be solved through talks, in which each side willing to be flexible for the country's sake," he said yesterday.

He said he was concerned about the persisting volatility of the political siutation because of deeprooted differences and social disparity which could be exploited to inflame the situation.

The volatility is expected to dissipate if the government succeeds to rally the people to join the reconciliation process, he said.

Commenting on Thaksin Shinawatra whom he ousted from power in 2006, he said the reconciliation would hinge on the concerted efforts of parties concerned rather than depend on a single individual.

He conceded, however, that Thaksin too had a vital role for fencemending. He also urged the government to shelf its plan to reopen the factfinding investigation into more than 1,200 silence killings related to the war on drugs under the Thaksin administration, arguing this might be a wrong timing.

In regard to the redshirt movement, he said a repeat of the unrest or a resumption of protests can be prevented if the authorities strictly enforce the law.

Under the prevailing sentiment, the red shirts could not muster the public support to build an underground movement, he said.

Turning to his party work, he said the ties between Matubhum and Puea Pandin were already close and that he would welcome Puea Pandin MPs if they wanted to adopt his party's banner for their reelection bids.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-11

He also urged the government to shelf its plan to reopen the factfinding investigation into more than 1,200 silence killings related to the war on drugs under the Thaksin administration, arguing this might be a wrong timing.

Disgusting.

Another one advocating injustice be accepted for the sake of appeasement.

He also urged the government to shelf its plan to reopen the factfinding investigation into more than 1,200 silence killings related to the war on drugs under the Thaksin administration, arguing this might be a wrong timing.

Disgusting.

And why, do you think, ex General Sonthi Boonyaratglin , the last Coup Leader, strong anti-Thaksin, a Multi-Millionaire with 2 wives, (a Muslim) would say so and why would he be heading the Matubhum Political Party at his age of almost 64 in the first place ?

After all, he's a "son" of the Thai Elite Establishment; so, why would he say such a thing ?

There's ALWAYS a reason.

LaoPo

Wonder what role he played in the deaths?

Disgusting.

And why, do you think, ex General Sonthi Boonyaratglin , the last Coup Leader, strong anti-Thaksin, a Multi-Millionaire with 2 wives, (a Muslim) would say so and why would he be heading the Matubhum Political Party at his age of almost 64 in the first place ?

After all, he's a "son" of the Thai Elite Establishment; so, why would he say such a thing ?

There's ALWAYS a reason.

LaoPo

Of course there is always a reason. Kind of stating the obvious don't you think?

Why don't you give us your theory?

A Coup leader ready to help Advance Democracy?

May be there will be no elections, read in BP that EC want the current regime to amend the constitution and extend there term to 10 years if

Dems can't campaign safely in PTP territory which will definitely be the case as always and considering the recent massacres.

Disgusting.

I don't know why Sonthi suggested this. But, it might make sense for the government to focus its effort on the current terror charges against Thaksin. Diluting their efforts by raising old, stale, and controversial charges won't help and may give the other side some advantage in the propaganda war.

Of course there is always a reason. Kind of stating the obvious don't you think?

Why don't you give us your theory?

I rarely speculate; many members are a lot better in vague theories, speculating and judging answers than I am; the forum is full of those posts.

Giving a theory leads towards unnecessary other theories, nonsense and non-facts.

Only Sonthi could deliver the answers.

My previous post was merely "rhetorically" questioning the cause of Sonthi's quote since it's quite remarkable that a man like Sonthi would NOT agree with re-opening (or postponing) the investigation on the so called "war on drugs"

On the other hand, why re-open that investigation again since everybody who knows a little about Thailand knows that it's not just Thaksin who would go down for this. A LOT of people have dirty hands and not just for this.

And, since this is mentioned: I am wondering since long WHY nobody ever speaks about the many deaths, cause by drugs in this country.

Many are so obsessed with the investigation of the "war on drugs" and focused on Thaksin that they forget about the many thousands, tens of thousands, who yearly die because of those drugs....ph34r.gif

If a foreigner/Farang is caught with dope on the airport or elsewhere we're full of comments like "hang 'm high, sentence him to life, shoot him etc. etc.".

But what about the tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of addicted people on Yaba and other cheap dangerous drugs ?

We know that around 600,000 people in Thailand are suffering from HIVAIDS and that 30,000 people die on a yearly basis because of HIV/AIDS...

but how about drugs.....??

LaoPo

A person could argue Sonthi is a major cause of the recent protests because if the military coup had occurred, lead by Sonthi, the Red and Yellow Shirts wouldn't have accomplished their major protests.

Someone destroying democracy and committing high treason by staging a coup and then changing the constitution so that he could not get prosecuted for his crime to overturn a legally elected government is now talking about advancing "democracy"??? Are you kidding me? Guys like him just make a mockery out of any attempt for an honest reconciliation.

He belongs behind bars for the rest of his miserable life before the government could even think about reconciliation..

Disgusting.

He wants to advance democracy???? Does he understand the meaning of democracy or rule of law? Funny how so few "intellects" here have learned ...... Humn, not sure what has been learned or taught?

Will Thailand continue its downward spiral?

... with 2 wives, (a Muslim) ...

can we please keep his wives and his religion out of the debate?

Facts are facts and the fact that he is Muslim explains why he can have more than one wife according to his religion; but it's against Thai laws, although more or less "accepted" in his (and others') case...... That's why I mentioned it.

In other words: he won't be prosecuted for having two wives....or will he? wink.gif

LaoPo

... with 2 wives, (a Muslim) ...

can we please keep his wives and his religion out of the debate?

Facts are facts and the fact that he is Muslim explains why he can have more than one wife according to his religion; but it's against Thai laws, although more or less "accepted" in his (and others') case...... That's why I mentioned it.

In other words: he won't be prosecuted for having two wives....or will he? wink.gif

LaoPo

Having 2 wives can be prosecution itself.giggle.gifunsure.gifmad.gif

Someone destroying democracy and committing high treason by staging a coup and then changing the constitution so that he could not get prosecuted for his crime to overturn a legally elected government is now talking about advancing "democracy"??? Are you kidding me? Guys like him just make a mockery out of any attempt for an honest reconciliation.

He belongs behind bars for the rest of his miserable life before the government could even think about reconciliation..

you took the words right out of my mouth

Nakchalet, your spewing hatred against Thaksin (you need to learn some spelling...) is completely irrelevant here.

Let's stick to the topic and to what I wrote and not what you might think is my point of view. Mybe you can initiate a new thread, something: What do you prefer - a military dictatorship or a democratically elected leader like Thaksin?

The topic is about Sonthi who committed hight treason by toppling a legally elected government. He later changed law and constitution to avoid prosecution.

This human lifeform has absolutely zero credibility and even less legitimacy talking or being involved in any form of democratic reconciliation. Honest reconciliation would start with putting someone like him in jail for the rest of his life.

It's just about him - the reason that you think Thaksin is so evil is another topic.

The topic is about Sonthi who committed hight treason by toppling a legally elected government. He later changed law and constitution to avoid prosecution.

Oh, dear Dorethy & Totto. You might be tall but have no clue, do you.

In Thailand, toppling a legal-ish "elected" government is a lot of things but it is not high treason. Your other choices are:

1. Blood sport

2. Reality TV

3. Keeping old traditions alive

4. Revenge

5. Mandatory interference

Do try to remember you are not in Kansas anymore.

Nakchalet, your spewing hatred against Thaksin (you need to learn some spelling...) is completely irrelevant here.

Let's stick to the topic and to what I wrote and not what you might think is my point of view. Mybe you can initiate a new thread, something: What do you prefer - a military dictatorship or a democratically elected leader like Thaksin?

This human lifeform has absolutely zero credibility and even less legitimacy talking or being involved in any form of democratic reconciliation. Honest reconciliation would start with putting someone like him in jail for the rest of his life.

It's just about him - the reason that you think Thaksin is so evil is another topic.

tallforeigner

on the contrary, i like many of Thaksin's policy, however how on earth can any educated person call votes buying and such practices as a democratic process....?

farangs who have been in thailand during the last ten years know and understand what i am referring to.... tuksin and his associates bought their votes.... into office....

i am mighty curious.... how did you ever miss the court order to dissolve and disband tuksin's and some of his political associates' political parties....?

that court decision alone should explain much more than what i can ever enumerate here....

not too many thais nowadays would still consider tuksin not guilty as charged....

personally, i do not dislike him but it is his political practices and policies that inflamed so many of us....

we knew the man named tuksin before he came into power.... and we also knew sonthi before his coup....

it is very easy to cast the vote.... one is for himself and the other is for the country.... whoeth choose thou....?

i'll leave it up to you now.... to decide for yourself.... democratically...., alright tall fellow....? cheers....biggrin.gif

Edited by cdnvic
corrected spelling of proper name, next time it will be deleted without comment

Nakchalet, now you are taking the arrogant position of those foreigners living for tens of year in Thailand. Now you really think that because you built your opinion while living long time in Thailand, everyone in your situation must have the same opinion? And within over ten years you still haven't even learnt how to spell Thaksin correctly?

Wake up! l might live here even longer than you...well over ten years and I follow the politics very carefully since I'm here because I am working a lot on government contracts - and I still don't share your opinion.

If you would have opened your eyes you would have noticed that every successful politician in Thailand would be guilty of vote buying or cheating or corruption or anything along that line in Thailand; that's the sad reality. Look at the democrats, they did the same thing - just on a more masseive scale and eventually they will be dissolved.

Not every foreigner living here likes a military dictatorship better than a majority elected government, even if there might be some irregularities involved. My choice is very clear: a very big NO NO for military dictatorships and an even bigger NO NO for the traitors like Sonthi who overturn a democracy to install a military dictatorship; otherwise I could go to Burma or North Korea and try to enjoy life over there.

tallforeigner

i honestly did not know you are from kansas.... i respect kansas politics....

they are still considered as middle american politics, are they not?

if we could only transport middle american politics to augment thailand votes buying grassroot politics....

by the way, did you decide yet.... who is a better candidate to head a thai govt.... the male prison-escapee tuksin or ex-coup leader sonthi ....?

in regard to my atrocious spelling and grammar and all.... pls do disregard and excuse.... i only scored at the ninty-second percentile.... pitiful indeed, isn't it?....

and i was reminded that i had to repeat first grade twice.... really pathetic indeed.... annoyed.gif

Oh, dear Dorethy & Totto. You might be tall but have no clue, do you.

In Thailand, toppling a legal-ish "elected" government is a lot of things but it is not high treason. Your other choices are:

1. Blood sport

2. Reality TV

3. Keeping old traditions alive

4. Revenge

5. Mandatory interference

Do try to remember you are not in Kansas anymore.

Tallforeigner, your comments are all about Mr. Thaksin. Mr.Thaksin's growing abuse of all principles democratic was the sole reason for the coup. In a Hollywood movie he would play the leading role, Sonthi and others would play supporting roles.

You cannot make a rational argument based on a single incident in time while denying discussion about what caused that incident.

......... your spewing hatred against Thaksin......... ..

.........This human lifeform has absolutely zero credibility ........

....... He belongs behind bars for the rest of his miserable life

In Thailand, toppling a legal-ish "elected" government is a lot of things but it is not high treason.

Actually it is and at least one General in the 1970's was executed by firing squad for it.However in practical terms coups are judged as to whether the elite approves of them or not (or as in the last instance participated in them).If the coup is approved then there is no problem in back dated pardons etc.

Look at the democrats, they did the same thing - just on a more masseive scale and eventually they will be dissolved.

Eventually they will be dissolved?

How are you privy to this information? The case against the Democrats is ongoing. Nobody knows if the will or if they won't be dissolved.

One thing we do know is that if they are, the reds will embrace the decision as just, despite their claims of the system being infair and rigged when the PPP was dissolved.

who is a better candidate to head a thai govt.... the male prison-escapee XXXXXX or ex-coup leader sonthi ....?

note: edits in quote, XXXXX for improper spelling of the name of a Montenegrin with a migrant background.

is there are reason that you are pushing here the gender issue of the male prison-escapee or were you just in need of some adjective?

i am only curious, but after some other board member had to pointed out that the ex-coup leader* has more than one wife i find that odd.

*at all: or is it coup's Ex-leader/ ex-putschist/ refined putschist / ex-putsch for democratic reform leader / charming general and outspoken ex-rebel leadel / former Thaksin's general/.../...?

ps. are you a non-native English speaker and probably also not using the latin alphabet in your native language and on your computer? i am asking because you are using a different transliteration of the Montenegrins name. but here at this board they stick to the english variant Thaksin, other variants maybe not wrong in your country of origin but can here be interpreted as unfunny pun and they insist on Thaksin as the only valid one and other are against the rules and can bring you into problem.

Nakchalet, now you are taking the arrogant position of those foreigners living for tens of year in Thailand. Now you really think that because you built your opinion while living long time in Thailand, everyone in your situation must have the same opinion? And within over ten years you still haven't even learnt how to spell Thaksin correctly?

Wake up! l might live here even longer than you...well over ten years and I follow the politics very carefully since I'm here because I am working a lot on government contracts - and I still don't share your opinion.

If you would have opened your eyes you would have noticed that every successful politician in Thailand would be guilty of vote buying or cheating or corruption or anything along that line in Thailand; that's the sad reality. Look at the democrats, they did the same thing - just on a more masseive scale and eventually they will be dissolved.

Not every foreigner living here likes a military dictatorship better than a majority elected government, even if there might be some irregularities involved. My choice is very clear: a very big NO NO for military dictatorships and an even bigger NO NO for the traitors like Sonthi who overturn a democracy to install a military dictatorship; otherwise I could go to Burma or North Korea and try to enjoy life over there.

alright.... had you explained yourself from the beginning that your livelihood depends on thai govt contracts.... i and many others would immediately understand your political view, outlook and position....

while you have to adhere strictly to thai govt rules and regulations.... many of us living in thailand do not have that need nor necessity to conform as you do....

we choose to live here because we like numerous aspects of thailand very much.... particularly the king and queen who give themselves 100%+ unselfishly to their subjects.... LONG LIVE THE KING AND QUEEN OF THAILAND....

many of us are not at all arrogant as you mistakenly attributed.... we are independent individuals saying what is right and proper.... within the boundary of thai laws....

specifically and to the point.... by your own statement--

If you would have opened your eyes you would have noticed that every successful politician in Thailand would be guilty of vote buying or cheating or corruption or anything along that line in Thailand; that's the sad reality....,

you seem to cognitively recognize that.... vote buying is illegal.... yet you as most businessmen all over the world would do just not to rock the boat.... conveniently excuse such illegal act as.... every successful politician in Thailand would be guilty of vote buying....

here lies the major difference between us.... i firmly believe that.... whence vote buying is illegal.... it really does not matter.... who does it.... or which party does it.... or under what circumstances.... or how frequently....; vote buying under all circumstances is still considered illegal.... and it should never ever be passed off as.... everyone or every party is doing it.... therefore it is alright for me to do it too....

in terms of spelling thai names and such.... i am certain you are aware of different intonations and pitches in the melodious thai language.... i could have spelled the person's name as....ThugSin ... and everyone in thailand would immediately know who the infamous person is.... rolleyes.gif

my good fellow from kansas.... if you wish to demonstrate your superiority on thai language further.... i would gladly acccept .... and would be more than happy to donate 100 usd in your name to any thai charity of your choosing.... how about it.... it will be for a good cause indeed.... biggrin.gif

furthermore, i would really like to see your proof that the former premier CHUAN was also guilty of vote buying too.... can you provide some evidential proof pls....? thx much in advance for your search.

And, since this is mentioned: I am wondering since long WHY nobody ever speaks about the many deaths, cause by drugs in this country.

Many are so obsessed with the investigation of the "war on drugs" and focused on Thaksin that they forget about the many thousands, tens of thousands, who yearly die because of those drugs....ph34r.gif

If a foreigner/Farang is caught with dope on the airport or elsewhere we're full of comments like "hang 'm high, sentence him to life, shoot him etc. etc.".

But what about the tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of addicted people on Yaba and other cheap dangerous drugs ?

We know that around 600,000 people in Thailand are suffering from HIVAIDS and that 30,000 people die on a yearly basis because of HIV/AIDS...

but how about drugs.....??

LaoPo

The reason why nobody ever speaks about the many deaths caused by drugs when the discussion is extrajududicial killings, is that unless you are arguing that the deaths caused by drugs warrants or in some way justifies killing suspects without trial, it is not relevant.

My suspicion is that sadly, that is exactly what some members here are arguing, although that no doubt will be denied in due course.