Sorry - Another Ebay Question

I am looking to buy some items from eBay and want to set up a PayPal account , my bank account is with HSBC uk

and account address here in Thailand , I don't have a HSBC Credit card but do have a HSBC Debit card, I have read

that using a Debit card is less secure than a credit card , on the PayPal application apparently it gives you Two options

Add Bank Account or Add Debit or Credit Card

I have not yet completed the PayPal on line application form as first I wondered if any one here can offer advice or comments

on opening a PayPal account that relates to a Uk bank account but a Thailand account address , and which of the Two options

above would be best .

As far as I know when you register an account and want to verify with CC or DC it's with both, just fine. The only thing is that the CC or DC card must be identical with the given Address for varification. If you open with a Thai address you may not get verified, but you can shop with your DC anyway, it's accepted. You will be limited with an unveriefied account. You can open a UK PayPal account, but then you're obligated to pay tax.

You can also try MB which works best and is cheaper than PayPal. It's headoffice is in the UK and is under European law. It's also faster than PP when you withdraw money into your bank account. I'll send you a PM.

You are correct, Credit cards offer more benefits that debit cards; such as buyer protection.

I'm unsure of UK tax, but certain that you can use your UK HSBC debit card to open a paypal account, using your Thai address. If you haven't done it before, Paypal accounts can be verified; you enter your banks details, and Paypal transfer two very small amounts of money to your account. Obviously, only you know what they are, you complete verification by entering them and it means that any Palpal payments you make are instantly deducted from your bank account.

most recent debit cards have the visa logo on them now and you get the same protection as a visa card,my nationwide flex account debit card carries the visa logo not the old cirus or whatever it was,

with pay pal you can have your home address where the card is the your postage address as something else.

email or ask a question first to the seller and see it they will send to thailand.

personally i have all my bought items sent to my parents address so the sellers feel safe sending them then once a fortnight my parents post them to me.

its so easy to do,they just send them on to me.

most recent debit cards have the visa logo on them now and you get the same protection as a visa card,my nationwide flex account debit card carries the visa logo not the old cirus or whatever it was,

Not strictly true. In the UK credit cards are covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act which makes both the seller and the credit card company liable if the purchase is greater than £100 and less than £30,000. Debit cards don't have this protection.

Thanks to every one , the items I am looking to buy can be sent world wide , The tax situation is some thing I did not think of

I think some times an ebay seller will not charge the VAT if the item is sent out of the Uk, but as for any other tax I'm not too sure :)

As an eBayer for many years ,the price shown on Ebay is the priced charged there will be no extra tax/vat ...

Most international sellers i.e out from the UK will only accept PayPal for security reasons.

Many UK sellers will not sell outside Europe.

I use a DD card originally UK registered ,now bank in the UK but PayPal & eBay home address in Thailand..Correct better protection from Credit card.

Suggest you ask for items to be sent Royal Mail "signed for" as a minimum standard..means sod all over here but extra authority look to packet seems to gaurentee delivery..have had standard airmail go missing ..surprise-surprise.!

Depending on value..size/weight there is always Thai customs.....

:)

As an eBayer for many years ,the price shown on Ebay is the priced charged there will be no extra tax/vat ...

Most international sellers i.e out from the UK will only accept PayPal for security reasons.

Many UK sellers will not sell outside Europe.

I use a DD card originally UK registered ,now bank in the UK but PayPal & eBay home address in Thailand..Correct better protection from Credit card.

Suggest you ask for items to be sent Royal Mail "signed for" as a minimum standard..means sod all over here but extra authority look to packet seems to gaurentee delivery..have had standard airmail go missing ..surprise-surprise.!

Depending on value..size/weight there is always Thai customs.....

:)

Thanks for the comments , The Thai customs part I did not think about , would a small package posted with the Royal Mail "signed for"

have more chance to go un noticed than say some thing sent via DHL ? , any advice on how to minimize the possibility of being '' stung ''

by the Thai customs ?