Cost & Tip When Buying A Car In Thaland

Looking at Buying a Used 2008 Isuzu Dmax 3.0L in a private sale for 400,000b. I am happy to have it in my Wife's name. I am trying to find out fee's for running cost and taxes in Thailand.

Is there any sales tax for private sale?

When changing name on the blue book, any idea of the cost with this and can it be done in a day?

Does the vehicle need to be inspected by a Gov approved inspector?

It is registered till December 2010. The vehicle has Class One insurance till Dec 2010. I have been told that it is the vehicle that is insured and that in a change of ownership it “should” still be insured till Dec 2010. Does anyone have any experience with this?

This car blue book owner is in another province, does the name change have to be done in that province?

Anyone know of any good threads here I have missed in a search?

Thanks

If you have an address in Thailand (Embassy letter or yellow Tambien Baan) the car can easily be registered in your name.

I presume you have a Thai driving license with a Thai ID-number?

The change of ownership can be done in a couple of hours, car needs to be brought along for inspection.

The cost is very low.

In your case it might be that the numberplate must be changed, due to the change of province, can be done while registering the car.

Again, low costs.

The insurance should remain with the car, when in doubt take out the government insurance for a year before you hit the road.

Later have a chat with the insurance company that insured the car before.

one year road tax is 6800 baht for a 4 door, much less for 2 door. 1st class insurance for 400k truck depends on prior insuranceclaims on this truck, but 12-18k/year.

no sales tax for private sale, just a few k baht transferfee to LTD, and it can be done in a day. Inspection by LTD same day is needed, and you shouldnt pay for vehicle before its inspected and transfer accepted by LTD

Insurance follows vehicle, but most claims can only be payed to person entering insurance agreement

Transfer can be done in your province, most LTD will require a move of vehicle/docs to your province which takes a week and less than 1000 baht. You get a new lisencepate from your province and reg no changes on books front page.

Since seller probably dont want to wait for a week for LTD to complete move/transfer, I would transfer in sellers province at thai name, and then request move at your LTD if local plates are desired.

If you reg in thai name, thai is the owner, not you.

400k sounds cheap;)

Several threads on all issues, keep searching.:)

Good luck

Thank you, yes ThaiVisa Insurance confirmed the Class 1 can continue with the car, the seller is happy with this.

I have just been told similar thing, The Gov inspects it

With the inspection, are they looking for road worthiness, worn brake pads and stuff, or just that the engine number just matches.

I have been told have to change the name in the province it is registered in, then go through many of the same hoops where we live.

Thanks for the reply.

Thank you, yes ThaiVisa Insurance confirmed the Class 1 can continue with the car, the seller is happy with this.

With the inspection, are they looking for road worthiness, worn brake pads and stuff, or just that the engine number just matches.

I have been told have to change the name in the province it is registered in, then go through many of the same hoops where we live.

Thanks for the reply.

they just check the chassis no: yes change the name in their province less agro then got to your province to complete no plate change Edited by fredob43

Thanks for the reply.

they just check the chassis no: yes change the name in their province less agro then got to your province to complete no plate change

on occasions they also check emission and "roadworthiness", thats lights and tyres. Emission on this truck is Euro III, which is easy to pass. If failed, run dieseltank empty, use Shell VPower Euro IV diesel and pass Euro III check.

Edited by katabeachbum