Planning A Trip To The Uk

cardholder

I am planning to take Mrs Cardholder to the UK for a 2 week holiday in 2011.

She has not been before and we will probably go Mid August or, more likely, early September.

I think London is a must for a couple of nights and I would like to include Dublin, the Lake District and a horse racing meeting.

Ideas from members about what they think a Thai would be interested in seeing would be welcome.

Edited by cardholder

Back in the EU for 5 weeks to show off new Thaiglish daughter to the angkrit and geleman sides of my family.

Took my Thai wife to the Lake District last week. I was knocked out, having forgotten how beautiful it all was and not having revisited it for 38 years after being brought up in Cumbria (make that Cumberland). The view over Tarn Hows with the Langdale Pikes in the background brings tears to your eyes. Sure there are more tourists (in the valleys) now but the roads over most passes are amazingly the same lovely twisty narrow roads they were when I was 20.

My Thai wife was bored to tears! The only thing she liked about the Lake District was the shops in Bowness, Keswick and Ambleside and stopping to eat.

Based on previous holidays, she loves London, shopping in any large supermarket, any Primark, shopping in Leeds (or any equivalently large city) boating on the Norfolk Broads if she can drive (half day hire not the living on-board thing), Chester Zoo, Snowdon mountain railway, York inc Castle museum and Thai restaurants in any and every small town.

She's an Isaan village girl, a happy returnee to family and village life after 15 years in Bangkok, but a holiday for her is going to the big towns and going to shops and restaurants (preferably Thai but she is getting better with falang food, just don't rush it - after 3 annual visits she has progressed from Pizza to spaghetti to lasagne and now to most things Italian).

Best to ask your wife what style of thing she wants! Perhaps tell her first what you like and negotiate later for separate holidays on occasions to see what you want to see - I was just itching to do a bit of walking in the Lakes but knew there was no chance in hel_l I would get a Thai girl up a fell unless there was a railwayon it.

Back in the EU for 5 weeks to show off new Thaiglish daughter to the angkrit and geleman sides of my family.

Took my Thai wife to the Lake District last week. I was knocked out, having forgotten how beautiful it all was and not having revisited it for 38 years after being brought up in Cumbria (make that Cumberland). The view over Tarn Hows with the Langdale Pikes in the background brings tears to your eyes. Sure there are more tourists (in the valleys) now but the roads over most passes are amazingly the same lovely twisty narrow roads they were when I was 20.

My Thai wife was bored to tears! The only thing she liked about the Lake District was the shops in Bowness, Keswick and Ambleside and stopping to eat.

Based on previous holidays, she loves London, shopping in any large supermarket, any Primark, shopping in Leeds (or any equivalently large city) boating on the Norfolk Broads if she can drive (half day hire not the living on-board thing), Chester Zoo, Snowdon mountain railway, York inc Castle museum and Thai restaurants in any and every small town.

She's an Isaan village girl, a happy returnee to family and village life after 15 years in Bangkok, but a holiday for her is going to the big towns and going to shops and restaurants (preferably Thai but she is getting better with falang food, just don't rush it - after 3 annual visits she has progressed from Pizza to spaghetti to lasagne and now to most things Italian).

Best to ask your wife what style of thing she wants! Perhaps tell her first what you like and negotiate later for separate holidays on occasions to see what you want to see - I was just itching to do a bit of walking in the Lakes but knew there was no chance in hel_l I would get a Thai girl up a fell unless there was a railwayon it.

Thanks SantiSuk. I recognise a few of those characteristics (especially the shopping, but Harrods is not Thepprasit market !).

I don't want to lash out for the George Hotel in Penrith for a couple of days if the main attractions in the Lakes are lost on the Teerak. On the other hand, my instinct says that she WOULD enjoy the sort of places you have mentioned.

most thais are amazed by free money and houses from benefits/councils plus a car if disabled

take her to a busy social services office on a monday morn she will love it-------------might be busier in afternoon

:D Take her to Cornwall,she will be amazed! September is a wonderful month there and there is know better place in the UK than the penwith area it has got it all......beaches to die for,old style England towns and villages,rolling countryside cliff top walks and fantastic sunrise sunset vistas!

What am i doing here :rolleyes:

Any help or advice PM me

Probably cheaper (and she may enjoy it more) to give her 50,000bt, and book her into a decent hotel in Bangkok. And I think she can go to the races there too!

PS Have I met you Cardholder??

I doubt it, where are you from ?

You have a very small pussy.

I do not recall meeting anyone who would give their wife 50,000 Baht :lol:

Any hyper-market, as the first stop ! Boot-fairs can also be popular, if chilly.

I would also suggest the Natural History Museum, in South Kensington, because it's an amazing building, and some of the dinosaurs move, which can provoke an interesting reaction if you've forgotten to pre-warn her !

The obligatory photo-stop is of course Westminster Bridge, with Big Ben behind her.

Have a good trip ! B)

Depends so much on the person. We flew up to Glasgow and hired a car, an hour or so later I thought she would damage her neck as her head kept swiveling around to look at the views as drove alongside Loch Ness, and for once she was lost for words apart from the frequent "wows". When we came across a lone piper in full regalia busking over one of the most stunning views imaginable she went through a whole roll of film. And the Loch Fyne Oyster bar never had a better customer....

There are more than one or two Thai's I've met that would turn around and get home if there wasn't a Thai restaurant or shopping mall in the vicinity however :rolleyes:

A few truths up there.

99.999% of Thais just like staying in their comfort zone and being in Thailand. Maybe you are lucky to have an exception.

50,000 in Bangkok?

Ridiculous notion.

Try 5,000 in Isaan, nice party for all the family, sticky rice, larb gai and grilled chicken plus Chang all around. She'll be totally happy, planning it for two months and then talking about it for the next twelve months.

A few truths up there.

99.999% of Thais just like staying in their comfort zone and being in Thailand. Maybe you are lucky to have an exception.

50,000 in Bangkok?

Ridiculous notion.

Try 5,000 in Isaan, nice party for all the family, sticky rice, larb gai and grilled chicken plus Chang all around. She'll be totally happy, planning it for two months and then talking about it for the next twelve months.

The Isaan party we have most weeks :rolleyes: somtam I can get around friends' houses. I will also pack a box of Mama noodles. Chang ? - I am still waiting for a box to arrive from a certain erstwhile member :whistling:.

I am not actually bothered whether we go to the UK for a holiday or not. I have said to Mrs Cardholder that I will ONLY take her if she shows sufficient interest in the UK and in the planning stage. I am budgeting 300,000 Baht, for a circa 2 week trip, so it should give a lot of freedom to visit pretty much any where we like.

I believe she will enjoy the lakes etc and I do like roamers Scotland story - Mrs C does like the 'nature' of Thailand and on previous trips to Malaysia and Bali she has shown great interest in forna and flora. She is mid 30's, not 19, and whilst she is not averse to the occasional (?:blink:) market I think the culture and different landscape etc will appeal.

Probably cheaper (and she may enjoy it more) to give her 50,000bt, and book her into a decent hotel in Bangkok. And I think she can go to the races there too!

PS Have I met you Cardholder??

I doubt it, where are you from ?

You have a very small pussy.

I do not recall meeting anyone who would give their wife 50,000 Baht :lol:

Thank you for your concern re the size of my pussy. For her age she is in peak condition.

Maybe Mrs Cardholder, and indeed yourself would prefer something larger. May I suggest a visit to Loch Ness with a view to sighting the alleged monster. Mrs C would probably enjoy that as it is akin to the alleged monster in the Mekhong river- the Phaya Naga. And whilst in Scotland, unless you happen to be there around the "glorious twelfth" might I suggest joining a Haggis Expedition, which once caught stuffed and cooked will be quite a delicacy - although probably Mrs C will be pining for a somtam!

Take her to Chiswick High road. There's a nice Esaan restaurant there. They make som tam poo pla ra. She'll be well impressed... :D

A guided tour of Fullers Smith & Turners brewery down the same road. If she doesn't like it, who cares, the beers good,Ray!

The museum in there is good too BTW

My wife and I are going to the UK next week and we are going straight from the airport to have two nights in London, then down to the south coast where my family live, for a week. Then we fly to Inverness and drive down to the Glen Coe area, to see some real highlands. Back to the south coast for another three days before flying home.

We cant wait, we're really looking forward to it, especially the Scotland trip. And not all Thai women are so single minded that they only want to shop and do nothing else.

HL :D

whistling.gif

In August Edinburgh holds it's International Festival. Lots of street musicians, theatre, the Tattoo and, supposedly, the Bangkok Ladyboy Show has been a sell out for the past 5 years.

I agree with the others, Loch Ness has a strange, magical atmosphere and the Museum is interesting.

whistling.gif

:annoyed:

Risking the charge of protesting too much, I should point out that my wife worked in footwear and jewelry factories in Bangkok and environs from the age of about 14 and that accounts for [most of :rolleyes:] the said 15years. Sounds like bullshit I know but I have seen the factory works outing photographs at various ages!

In August Edinburgh holds it's International Festival. Lots of street musicians, theatre, the Tattoo and, supposedly, the Bangkok Ladyboy Show has been a sell out for the past 5 years.

I agree with the others, Loch Ness has a strange, magical atmosphere and the Museum is interesting.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city, and could be used as a base for travelling to other places over perhaps 3/4 days.

But the Ladyboy show!?? YUK!!! For what? She can and probably does see ladyboys every day here in Thailand. Coals to Newcastle!

^Just don't take one in the bookmakers with you :)

Avoid those ads for betdirect.com as well.....

I'd fly to Inverness and hire some camping gear.......do the West Highland Way......then over to Edinburgh for a couple of nights in my favourite hotel overlooking the castle....sightseeing and shopping therapy then back to London for a few days.

Alternatively fly to Inverness hire a car and travel around the west coast .....Ullapool....Skye...etc.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city, and could be used as a base for travelling to other places over perhaps 3/4 days.

But the Ladyboy show!?? YUK!!! For what? She can and probably does see ladyboys every day here in Thailand. Coals to Newcastle!

It was a joke!!!

Depends so much on the person. We flew up to Glasgow and hired a car, an hour or so later I thought she would damage her neck as her head kept swiveling around to look at the views as drove alongside Loch Ness, and for once she was lost for words apart from the frequent "wows". When we came across a lone piper in full regalia busking over one of the most stunning views imaginable she went through a whole roll of film. And the Loch Fyne Oyster bar never had a better customer....

There are more than one or two Thai's I've met that would turn around and get home if there wasn't a Thai restaurant or shopping mall in the vicinity however :rolleyes:

Glasgow to Loch Ness in an hour.........I'm impressed - what were you driving?

I'm glad somebody else has a wife/gf who isn't just impressed by the inside of Primark, M&S or Harrods when on holiday in Britain, but appreciates the splendour of our incredible countryside and culture. My Mrs was also impressed by the red-faced piper who walks up and down the dam at Pitlochry in-between nips of the Water of Life. It was all I could do to stop her trying to lift his kilt up, after I told her about the Scottish legend.

I knew my wife was a keeper when she agreed to go up the Aviemore ski-lift on a late November day on our honeymoon with no tourists around as it was too early for the ski season, a sub-zero windchill factor, and horizontal snow being blown around up by the Ptarmigan. She looked like a cute Eskimo with the extra parka the lift operators gave her and never complained (much, anyway) about the cold. We rubbed wet noses at the top and haven't looked back since. She loves the British scenery and likes nothing better than a long walk over the hills/dales before retiring to a olde worlde pub with roaring fire and steak and ale pie lunch. Even appreciates a pint of 6X, although the somtam habit is still there...........

Hi

I took my missus to the UK for three weeks, back in 2006. She loved it but was totally exhausted by the end. I wanted to show her as much as possible in the time available but I think that we tried to do too much.

We flew into Newcastle and spent the first night at the airport Travel Inn. The next day we hired a car and set off into rural Northumbria, taking in a couple of castles and lunch in Seahouses. Booked into a country inn for the night - early - as we were both a bit jet-lagged.

Subsequently we went up to Edinburgh for a couple of nights, taking in Lindisfarne on the way. She was most impressed with the city and the castle - and who wouldn't be! Thence, we took the road up to Inverness - one night at Contin - and on to Skye. Highlight of the trip, possibly, was a visit to the Talisker distillery - she was in her element trying all the free samples. We bought a few bottles too!

We gradually made our way back to Northern England and spent a few days with some friends in the Lake District. She was impressed, except for the 'smelly sheep' down Wasdale, and still remembers with amusement the Bridge House in Ambleside. The Pencil museum in Keswick also went down well. Much to my amazement, she wanted to climb to the top of St. Bees Head to see the view, so we did. This woman, by the way, usually uses her m/cycle to visit the house next door and rarely walks anywhere!

We spent some time with my sister in the W Midlands - not so scenic but we found plenty to do - and then made our way up to Lincolnshire to visit my son for a few days. She was impressed with Lincoln but was rather less so with Skegness - this was April time so the place was pretty dead.

We made our way back to Newcastle, via York, dropped off the car, and then flew down to London for a few days for the obligatory visit to the UK Capital City. She didn't like London much and neither did I. I've lived there before, many years ago, and didn't remember it being quite so crowded, noisy and dirty. She did enjoy the trip on the BA London Eye and the visit to Kew Gardens but by the time we got to the Tower she was wilting fast and so was I. We were both glad to get back on the plane to Newcastle and on to Bangkok the next day.

Actually, I was surprised at how well things worked out. My biggest worry was that she might not find anything to eat. No problem at all - devoured everything including far too much Scottish beef and salmon. I don't think that she had time to be bored as everything was a new experience to her. She was impressed with the scenery in Scotland and in the Lakes and even seemed interested in the Industrial Heritage of the Black Country.

The downside was the high cost of the trip. I reckon that we spent about £5k all told and that was when airfares were a bit cheaper than now. Obviously, giving her 50,000 Baht and turning her loose in Bangkok would have been far cheaper but then she wouldn't have had the cultural, horizon broadening experience.

Would I do it again? Probably but either take more time or do less. We did make a second trip in 2007 but didn't do much travelling. We were a bit unlucky with the weather so didn't get out much and she did get fairly bored. We were supposed to be visiting again in April this year but got cancelled by the Icelandic volcano problem. I'm trying to re-organise things for September but air fares are quite silly at the moment so it may not happen.

DM

Glasgow to Loch Ness in an hour.........I'm impressed - what were you driving?

I'm glad somebody else has a wife/gf who isn't just impressed by the inside of Primark, M&S or Harrods when on holiday in Britain, but appreciates the splendour of our incredible countryside and culture. My Mrs was also impressed by the red-faced piper who walks up and down the dam at Pitlochry in-between nips of the Water of Life. It was all I could do to stop her trying to lift his kilt up, after I told her about the Scottish legend.

I knew my wife was a keeper when she agreed to go up the Aviemore ski-lift on a late November day on our honeymoon with no tourists around as it was too early for the ski season, a sub-zero windchill factor, and horizontal snow being blown around up by the Ptarmigan. She looked like a cute Eskimo with the extra parka the lift operators gave her and never complained (much, anyway) about the cold. We rubbed wet noses at the top and haven't looked back since. She loves the British scenery and likes nothing better than a long walk over the hills/dales before retiring to a olde worlde pub with roaring fire and steak and ale pie lunch. Even appreciates a pint of 6X, although the somtam habit is still there...........

Yes my error!! Loch Lomond of course. I might also add that then and on subsequent visits the locals were really friendly, makes a huge difference.

York is a splendid little city and if you were to manage to make it in mid August you would have the added bonus of the famous York Ebor Festival which starts on 17th August. The 19th is Ladies Day which Mrs Cardholder may enjoy. There is also a race meeting on the 5th of September (Press Family raceday). You'll also find the place a whole lot cheaper than London or Dublin.

Another hugely underestimated place is Durham City. It's almost like a scaled down version of York. Less than an hour by train from York £20 return.

Here's what Bill Bryson said about it in his Tales From a Small Island ""Durham, I think, as anybody who has ever stepped out of the railway station and looked across the valley will appreciate, is one of the most beautiful cities in the world." He added "If you have never been to Durham, go there at once. Take my car. It's wonderful."

durhamcathedral_july_07_470x297.jpg

Whatever you decide to do or go I hope you both have a brilliant time.

If you are arriving into Heathrow you could do a quick day in London by train from accomodation in or around Windsor - then spend a day in Windsor (some good shopping)followed by an evening at Windsor races (every monday evening) After this you could set out on your scenic excursions to wherever. I'm not going to promote any particular area, suffice to say in Thailand I go to my local temple, and have no wish to see any other!!!! (than the 20 or so I will have politely visited for one reason or another already)......if you get my drift about the visit to England, castles etc!!!

A few truths up there.

50,000 in Bangkok?

Ridiculous notion.

Truth is wife was asked everywhere if I brought her to see Europe/home country.

Since one week she can reply (and did many times already) "Yes, I have been there!!!"

Just yesterday at a swimming pool a Swede came over to us and started talking/asking and lo that question came.

We did France, Luxemburg, Germany and Holland, she was impressed and thanks me every day for this trip, I hope she does not want to move over to Europe, I want to stay here!

The ops planned trip is still a long way off, and a lot can happen in that time.

I was planning on taking my wife to the UK some 7 years ago, but with just 2 months remaining she decided she would rather have a second child than go to the UK. Saved me a lot of money, and having just returned from the UK having taken my son, (the eldest) he has convinced his Mother that the UK is not a place she would want to go to. It's cold, the people, particularly in the south are unfriendly, and above all there is no somtam or pad krapow.

Brits in Thailand miss the beauty of the UK, but it is very much a British thing and I suspect most Thai women would prefer the hustle and bustle of Thailand and the constant availability of their kind of food.And as for walking over the hills and dales!!! Forget it in most cases, No motorbikes to hop on even for 50 yard jaunts!