Claiming Social Security Sickness Wage-Compensation

Hi there,

I have been living in Thailand for four years. I started a new job in Bangkok, with work permit, in 2009 and worked for 4 months until an leg injury – directly due to the work I was doing –meant I needed to stop. I had an operation here to repair the problem. The social security dues I had been paying at my place of employment covered the cost of the surgery

here in Bangkok. I couldn't go back to work – still recovering - and lost my job and work permit in Jan 2010. I continued to pay social security payments via work monthly up til Jan 2010.

I have just discovered that I may be able to apply for wage compensation via the same social security dues and system that covered my surgery. I found out about this because a colleague still working at the same place has just gone through an identical situation, and in the last month got compensation for the months he wasn't working while laid up. The difference is: he is still working there, I am not. The company helped him get the necessary papers together, but they are not being at all helpful with me. I am not sure if they ultimately will or won't help at this point in time -I don't want to push them further until I have a better idea of my 'rights' (if that word means much in Thailand!) and the details necessary for the claim. I wonder if anyone can help me with some advice:

- Anyone know if I am still entitled to claim even though it was last year (June 2009-Jan 2010) that I was on sick leave / out of work, but was still paying SS dues and still holding a work permit?

- If so, is there anyone outside of my place of employment that I can speak to to get advice about how the process is started/completed? I have only basic Thai, so it would have to be someone with useable English.

- Is it a pointless persuit without the co-operation of my old employers ultimately, or is it a simple thing to do, requiring that they only sign off on some paperwork?

Many thanks in advance.

Do a search (google) US Social Security, review the site, there are rules if your disabled. I can tell you one thing for sure they are not giving money away. Took me five years for a settlement.

The problem you will have here is Thai doctors don't a have a clue of how to write a report for Social Security.

If you qualify and you want the name of the Attorney I used in the states PM me.

Do a search (google) US Social Security, review the site, there are rules if your disabled. I can tell you one thing for sure they are not giving money away. Took me five years for a settlement.

The problem you will have here is Thai doctors don't a have a clue of how to write a report for Social Security.

If you qualify and you want the name of the Attorney I used in the states PM me.

Thanks for your reply.

I may not have clarified it properly, but I am talking about Thai Social Security, and getting wage compensation from here in Thailand. I had a work permit with a company in Bangkok, and paid social security contributions monthly.

Anyone else any ideas?

Thanks again in advance.

I don't know what your home country is?

If it is America and you have lost a years work, due to disability you will qualify. As long as you have worked there is the last ten years.

I will stop now.

Edited by ray23