Thai Yellow Shirts Vow To Fight Airport Seizure Cases - Terror Charges Ludicrous

webfact

YELLOW SHIRTS

Terror charges 'ludicrous'

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_9124.jpg

Surapong

Yellow shirts vow they'll fight airport seizure cases

BANGKOK: -- Retired diplomat Surapong Jayanama vowed yesterday to hand himself in to police, but attacked terrorism charges levelled against him as ludicrous and unsubstantiated.

Surapong, one of 79 suspects from the yellow-shirt movement, was summoned on Thursday to give a statement in relation to his involvement in the seizure of two Bangkok airports, Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang, in 2008. "The details of my charges include the destruction of certain equipment - this is a groundless accusation since I appeared only to make speeches on the rally stage four times at Suvarnabhumi and did nothing which can be construed as violent activities," he said.

Surapong said his speeches were meant for educational purposes and police had no grounds to brand him a terrorist.

He said he planned to deny all charges and he pinned his hopes on public prosecutors ensuring justice and dropping unjustified charges laid by police.

New Politics Party spokesman Samran Rodphet said he viewed the terrorism charges against the 79 as part of a campaign to discredit the yellow shirts. "I think by laying charges for the yellow shirts, police just wanted to please their political overseers."

He claimed the government had no justification for laying out terrorism charges but did so out of political expediency to curb the growth and popularity of the NPP and the yellow-shirt movement.

He voiced suspicion that police might have acted with double standards because people who appeared on the red-shirt stage were not charged, but yellow-shirt leaders and rally speakers alike were facing charges.

He said the yellow shirts did not want an amnesty or lenient treatment. But there were fears that police might use the red-shirt involvement in terrorism as a pretext to target the yellow shirts as well.

NPP secretary general Suriyasai Katasila said the terrorism |cases against the reds and the |yellow shirts were different.

The red shirts were prone to violence and linked to armed units, he said, while insisting the yellow shirts were peaceful and unarmed.

Yellow-shirt suspects are expected to report to police from July 28 to September 6. The main charge they face is terrorism.

Related violations include assembly by more than 10 people to cause disturbance, violating the state of emergency, encroaching on and refusing to vacate government installations, disrupting the civil aviation services, blocking traffic and interfering with the postal service.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-12

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the point of this 'dog and pony show', to appease the red shirts?

Nobody is going to be held accountable or arrested, just another waste of the poor folks taxes.

Haven't the govt. got better things to do, like sorting out IT.. Thailand is fast becoming the laggard in SE Asia and it laughingly wants to be the IT hub for Asia, dream on....

What about the damage done to the country, the hundreds of thousands of tourists stranded here and not compensated for their losses. I would call seizing an airport a terrorist offence

What about the damage done to the country, the hundreds of thousands of tourists stranded here and not compensated for their losses. I would call seizing an airport a terrorist offence

"hundreds of thousands of tourists stranded here and not compensated for their losses", you must be over reacting based on rumors.

Show me a single case where the PAD was sue for compensation or losses. NONE. This is a fact.

At least they admit that PAD seized the airport.

There is nothing wrong in seized an airport or two.

Try saying that to all the people stranded around the world and those who couldnt export or import and those who lost perishable goods.

Besides the **ok fools cost me 600 GBP and 3 days stuck in airports.

Try saying that to all the people stranded around the world and those who couldnt export or import and those who lost perishable goods.

Did you file your claims?

No.

No one did.

No claims = no losses, according to the law.

Did you file your claims?

No.

No one did.

No claims = no losses, according to the law.

What a perfect specimen of the Thai education system you are.

Are you seriously telling me that because people didnt sue the Yellow Shirt movement that no one lost money ....

Edited by Wolfie
Removed Offensive comment

I would believe it if CRES rounded them up and placed them in jail while waiting for their appointment with police. Right now its just another one of the shows that been served the last 2 years. And if they do want to avoid double standards, Kasit is one of the people that should spend some quality time in government prison.

• Like 1

If the Yellow do not want to be charged they'll not be charged. They do not have to obey to any judges but the judges have still to obey to the Yellow.

They are the masters of the country. They decide, Mr. Abhisit obeys.

Edited by cdnvic
corrected spelling of proper name
  • Like 1

Rucharee, I thought Thai Airways has claimed compensation to the PAD for the losses incured by the airport blockade (passengers and fret)

And sued for damage to GH iirc

No doubt this prosecution shuts down the red ranting about yellows get different treatment too. Hey mauybe we cna have a red and a yellow in each cell and they can reconcile.

In the meantime the reds could do woth a bit of reconciling among themselves with different factions turning different people in. All adds to the entertainment or would if it didnt involve bombs and killings.

Yep,.. got to agree,.. her argument that "non filing for damages proves or indicates no loss suffered is as prepsterous as it is stupid" thats like saying a victim of violence didn't suffer or no crime was perpetrated just because the victim never lodged a complaint or filed a suit for a civil remedy. Lets face it,... in Thailand... and particularly in this case where its taken the government 2 years to show the first signs of restitution, what's the point of making a claim? Your (Thailand's) judicial system is a complete joke. As an ex student at law and paralegal I have first hand experience of both western and Thai courts. Personally we currently have a civil claim in the Thai court for 600,000 baht owed for which we have cash receipts,.. took 2 years for the judge to award refund and damages,... that was 19 months ago... still no payments and it could still roll on for years. There's no accountability or responsibility with your system,.. much like your entire country (mai pen rai!).

My advice to this silly girl is to go and get a proper education,.. overseas! Get some real experience and then come back and look at your wonderful Thai judicial system and the entire political circus from a truly informed and balanced perspective!

"My advice to this silly girl is to go and get a proper education,.. overseas!"

If I have the money to travel overseas, I won't be sitting here learning English via ThaiVisa.

The only other country I have visited is Laos, using a border pass.

You think USA give give me a Visa?

If I have the money to travel overseas, I won't be sitting here learning English via ThaiVisa.

I smell a troll, no way are you a Thai "learning english" on Thai visa. Your english is far to good to be self taught from internet forums.

Actually seems the perfect way for the PAD to get away with it.

The prosecutors will chase a terrorism charge, which is extremely difficult to prove, and they will/may be found not guilty.

The prosecutors would be much better off with pursuing a lesser charge and getting it to stick. Part of the problem is that offences in Thailand usually entail 10000 years in jail and a 1 satang fine.

No way any of these people are going to jail, but in terms of wrongdoing there is an element of the PAD's behaviour that deserves a custodial sentence for some of them, but awarding massive damages would put a far greater dent in them.

Somebody made some good points, unfortunately they are lost because he added in some name calling and his post got deleted (along with several quoting it).

Don't complain, it's not like you haven't gotten enough warnings. Name calling/flaming = deletion. Stop wasting your time writing posts with personal attacks in them. The tend not to live long.

Thai 'Yellow Shirts' to face charges over 2008 airport siege

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai police have summoned five leaders of the royalist "Yellow Shirt" movement, along with dozens of supporters, to face charges over the 2008 seizure of two Bangkok airports, a spokesman said Monday.

Seventy-nine people linked to the People's Alliance for Democracy, as the Yellows are formally known, have been called to hear charges ranging from illegal occupation to terrorism, Lieutenant General Somyos Phumphanmuang said.

They include PAD founder Sondhi Limthongkul and Somsak Kosaisuk, leader of the Yellows' New Politics Party, which has emerged as a rival to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's ruling Democrats ahead of elections expected next year.

The Yellows' siege at Bangkok's two main airports stranded hundreds of thousands of tourists and helped to topple a government allied to fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The group, whose 2006 rallies helped trigger the coup that unseated Thaksin, claims allegiance to the throne and is backed by the Bangkok-based elite who detest Thaksin, the hero of the mostly poor and working class "Red Shirts."

Many Red Shirt leaders are in jail for their roles in violent protests in Bangkok and the movement had complained that the lack of charges filed against the Yellows showed a "double standard of justice".

The Reds' two-month-long protest in central Bangkok descended into several outbreaks of violence that left 90 people dead and nearly 1,900 injured, ending in a bloody army crackdown in May.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-07-12

Reds and Yellows should both be in jail. Also - to claim that Sondhi is a "Rival" for the PM in next year elections is ludicrous. The yellows can't even field a candidate for the Bangkok City Council. Abhisit and Newin have a lock on 4 more years.

Yep,.. got to agree,.. her argument that "non filing for damages proves or indicates no loss suffered is as prepsterous as it is stupid" thats like saying a victim of violence didn't suffer or no crime was perpetrated just because the victim never lodged a complaint or filed a suit for a civil remedy. Lets face it,... in Thailand... and particularly in this case where its taken the government 2 years to show the first signs of restitution, what's the point of making a claim? Your (Thailand's) judicial system is a complete joke. As an ex student at law and paralegal I have first hand experience of both western and Thai courts. Personally we currently have a civil claim in the Thai court for 600,000 baht owed for which we have cash receipts,.. took 2 years for the judge to award refund and damages,... that was 19 months ago... still no payments and it could still roll on for years. There's no accountability or responsibility with your system,.. much like your entire country (mai pen rai!).

My advice to this silly girl is to go and get a proper education,.. overseas! Get some real experience and then come back and look at your wonderful Thai judicial system and the entire political circus from a truly informed and balanced perspective!

Well, I don't think Khun Rucharee is a troll, but I am quite certain that 'Earthalien' is a mannerless lout.

Public disobedience cannot be supported no matter what colour shirt U wear, this action disrupted countless plane passengers, spoilt the tourist industry big time, cost airline company's in the hundered millions, you aren't quiet terrorists, but U sure were working towards that direction, now if U had touched an aircraft? ? ?

A potential step in the right direction but is anyone really expecting any prosecutions?

The yellow's occupation of the airports was an absolute disgrace and all these protesters should have been forcibly removed at the time. I would have liked to have seen their reaction if they had been confronted by the police or army. Their protest remained peaceful only because nobody engaged them and it usually takes two sides to have a battle. We can only speculate what would have happened had the authorities had the balls (and desire) to face them down but I'm sure they would have resorted to some underhand tactics which could have earned them the label "terrorists".

I sincerely hope that my cynicism is misplaced and that people can be held accountable for their actions during the airports seizure. I think such crimes are serious enough to warrant lengthy sentences and dissuade any groups from trying this in the future. Just out of interest, have we ever received an official explanation from the head of police / army as to why the yellows weren't removed?

PM Defends Transparency in People's Alliance Case

The prime minister insists the summoning of the People's Alliance for Democracy members involved in the 2008 airport closure case is made impartially and says the accused are allowed to seek justice if they believe the action is unfair.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva stated the summons issued against 80 members of the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, over their alleged forced closure of Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports were aimed to provide a chance for the accused to defend their innocence.

The prime minister insisted the move was not a discrimination as the foreign minister, who faces the same charges, was also summoned. He said the accused who believe they are being treated unfairly can petition for justice.

Apart from the PAD 's five core leaders, prosecutors have issued summons for those who appeared on the group's rally stages at the airports, including Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-12

footer_n.gif