Foreigners Passing Fake Baht

getgoin

getgoin,

Do you have any more details as to what to look for. What did they look like, how old were they, were they white, black or Asian foreigners? How were they passing the fake baht, were they buying something, asking for change, or what? I just want to know who and what to avoid.

getgoin,

Do you have any more details as to what to look for. What did they look like, how old were they, were they white, black or Asian foreigners? How were they passing the fake baht, were they buying something, asking for change, or what? I just want to know who and what to avoid.

My ladyfriend in Dok Khamtai came up with what she said was a fake 100. The reflective stripe was peeling off. Check for this feature. Dok Khamtai is east of Phayao, so it's unlikely foreigners are responsible.

Edited by sticklee

getgoin,

An older guy with his daughter. Staff seems to think they were not tourists. It is possible that they received the note as change from somewhere as they did not seem like the type to pass off a fake bill. The note was in the middle of a bunch of other notes when they were paying the bill. When the cashier noticed the fake note they went to look for them and they were gone. So no waiting for change. Not usually the norm. Left as a partial tip. It was an obvious fake. No foil line, no ghost, cheap frayed paper. Not a big deal, a 100 Baht note.

This is one reason we visit our branch bank weekly to change 1000 baht notes into 20s and 100s. Then when we pay at shops and restaurants, we can give them close to the correct amount of the bill. It minimizes chances for confusion about the change ("oh Madame you gave me 500 baht not 1000 baht) and also minimizes the chance that we'll receive fake money as change. Presumably, our branch bank checks over the notes before they put them out in circulation (I hope)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got given a different looking 100B note from the pizza company delivery guy, is there a website where you can view the security measures to check for?

It doesn't' really look anything like the normal 100B notes, so im thinking it might be a old or maybe special edition one? If its a fake, its not even really trying to look the same as the normal ones.

This link is to the Bank Of Thailand banknote page. http://www.bot.or.th/English/Banknotes/Pages/index.aspx

Series of banknotes can be found here http://www.bot.or.th/English/Banknotes/HistoryANdSeriesOfBanknotes/Pages/All_Series_of_Banknotes.aspx

There's a number of ways to check notes. Special marking pens are available in 7-11's specifically designed to test for fake notes. Other methods we use are small laser pens that have a black light, small black lights that can be found in the nicnac electrical stores of computer centres and even the black light mossie zappers.

Edited by Farma

getgoin,

An older guy with his daughter. Staff seems to think they were not tourists. It is possible that they received the note as change from somewhere as they did not seem like the type to pass off a fake bill. The note was in the middle of a bunch of other notes when they were paying the bill. When the cashier noticed the fake note they went to look for them and they were gone. So no waiting for change. Not usually the norm. Left as a partial tip. It was an obvious fake. No foil line, no ghost, cheap frayed paper. Not a big deal, a 100 Baht note.

So a bit strong to accuse them of intentionally passing off fake notes and starting a thread about it IMO. As the punishment for passing off fake notes is severe, I think it's unlikely that the attempt was intentional $3 !!!!

getgoin,

So a bit strong to accuse them of intentionally passing off fake notes and starting a thread about it IMO. As the punishment for passing off fake notes is severe, I think it's unlikely that the attempt was intentional $3 !!!!

Pretty obvious it was a fake note. Also they dropped the cash and bolted out the door. As far as punishment for passing the fake note goes the cops couldn't have cared less.

Thanks Farma

It's a series 14 note. Haven't noticed one before. Probably wouldn't have noticed it either if the guy didn't give me the change slightly suspiciously.

Sudo, can you please describe how the guy gave you the change slightly suspiciously.

Thanks Farma

It's a series 14 note. Haven't noticed one before. Probably wouldn't have noticed it either if the guy didn't give me the change slightly suspiciously.

Sudo, can you please describe how the guy gave you the change slightly suspiciously.

Well, he fished 3 notes out of one pocket, checked them closely, then gave them to me to count, then fished another 4 notes out of another pocket and gave them to me and waited for me to count them. Just struck me as a little odd, so when I got back into proper light I inspected the notes more closely, thinking back to this thread about fake baht.

This is one reason we visit our branch bank weekly to change 1000 baht notes into 20s and 100s. Then when we pay at shops and restaurants, we can give them close to the correct amount of the bill. It minimizes chances for confusion about the change ("oh Madame you gave me 500 baht not 1000 baht) and also minimizes the chance that we'll receive fake money as change. Presumably, our branch bank checks over the notes before they put them out in circulation (I hope)

I don't think that I could be bothered going to the bank every week to change my notes, but I agree that only ever having thousand Baht notes can be a real hassle. I know that myself and other friends get around this by getting the cash out of ATM machines frequently in small amounts and always going for an amount which is X thousands and 900 Baht (e.g. 3,900). I guess this wouldn't work if you are not using a Thai bank account and have charges to pay, but works great for me; I instantly have some small notes and it's easy to maintain this by always paying in places like 7-11 and Tesco with thousand Baht notes - no worries!