Ukraine ... Enlighten yourself

7. 27

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

8. 58

CNG and LPG vehicles face crackdown after tragic school bus fire

9. 6

Cannabis Extracts Face Stricter Controls Amid Regulatory Shift

10. 137

Should A Woman Be Allowed to hold the office of President of the USA?

11. 27

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

12. 6

Cannabis Extracts Face Stricter Controls Amid Regulatory Shift

Good News

Greenside

In a Reuters article, Honda have revealed that they are at last developing an electric bike to compete in the Chinese market.

"As part of its aim to reduce carbon dioxide emissions across all its products, Honda said it was also developing a new two-wheeler to compete in China's massive electric bicycle market estimated at more than 20 million units a year." they are quoted as saying.

It's about time. China's adoption of the electric bike and scooter has transformed many major cities with the noise and pollution from gas powered models disappearing almost overnight. Why the rest of Asia hasn't seen the writing on the wall and embraced this development in urban areas where the range issue is insignificant has always puzzled me but now a major manufacturer with a huge distribution network is jumping on the bandwagon let's hope that things change in short(ish) order.

942057550_szAJK-L.jpg

China: Three generations of bike share a kerb in Kunming 2007

Also, since the other electric bike thread appears to be going nowhere, can someone enlighten me as to why the E-Boxer isn't sold here in Thailand? It's not clear to me as to whether this is a Tiger design exported in parts to the US (since Electric Motorsports say they build it) or if Tiger's involvement is as a partner in what Electric Motorsports claim is now an Open Source project.

Edited by Greenside

its hard to charge an electric bike/mot when you live in an apartment.

But when they become available, I think you'll find that apartment buildings will install charging stations.

But how much would they charge for a recharge? :lol:

I'll wait a few generations of development.

I like the idea, but I don't like the idea of swapping the batteries in 3 or less years.

Just my tiny Dewalt 18V drill battery is 4000 baht here, and not cheap at 2000 baht in the US.

Also the silent running of a scooter is not good for others to know you're around.

What kind of artificial noise makers will people be putting on these in the future and what laws will be made against those noise makers?

Battery replacement is an essential part of the running cost to be offset against the savings on gas. As far as sound goes, I found you have to be super aware - it was just like stepping back in time 40 years when the primary transport was a bicycle. Maybe a bell would be good.

Also the silent running of a scooter is not good for others to know you're around.

It just takes some getting used to.

Silent is better than noisy. End of story. Once everyone's used to silent vehicles, there won't be any problem with safety. It's only an issue in the transition period, and easily solved by paying more attention - both drivers and pedestrians.

Silent is better than noisy. End of story. Once everyone's used to silent vehicles, there won't be any problem with safety. It's only an issue in the transition period, and easily solved by paying more attention - both drivers and pedestrians.

Erm, this is Thailand you're talking about... Thai drivers "paying more attention"??? That'll be the day! Anywhere else I'd agree with you that silent is better than noisy, but here in Thailand I find a loud pipe is often quite useful for getting Somchai's attention. Not to mention the soi dogs... :wai:

See you in Mae Sarieng on Saturday? Franz is coming from CM on Saturday am. Perhaps you can join him?

Luke and a mate will be joining us in Khun Yuam. I think there may be some others coming as well.

~0800 departure from Mae Sariang for Mae Hong Song-Pai-CM.

I'm already packed and ready to go- Can't wait! :w00t:

Happy Trails!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Electric bicycle. Can't wait.

btw this forum is about MOTORCYCLES.

I don't see Honda producing a bicycle do you? They'll be the step through scooter market initially and who knows where after that - I bet you we'll see them unveiling ultra cool electric motorbike concepts within a couple of years.

Don't hang onto the past :rolleyes:

Electric bicycle. Can't wait.

btw this forum is about MOTORCYCLES.

I don't see Honda producing a bicycle do you? They'll be the step through scooter market initially and who knows where after that - I bet you we'll see them unveiling ultra cool electric motorbike concepts within a couple of years.

Don't hang onto the past :rolleyes:

Actual, Honda is pretty good in producing bicycles. They have/hold a good amount of patents for bicycles and produced several study models and did competition in the World Mountain Bike Cup.

post-12170-006997000 1280101163_thumb.jp

Edited by Richard-BKK

Nevermind, we can also look at the statement "btw this forum is about MOTORCYCLES.", if we open any English dictionary and look-up the word "bike" we find its about bicycle(s) or bicycling ...etc. So "bikes in Thailand", the forum title is surely not entirely about or for motorcycles, maybe I'm wrong...