Bake 'N Brew Cafe Soi Exzyte

Jimmyd

We were on our way to Soi Chaiyaboom for breakfast, when we passed Bake 'n Brew on Soi Exzyte.

post-10689-053133200 1279939136_thumb.jp

I had passed it many times and thought it was a very attractive place...

...but I don't really like sitting around in coffee shops and I don't eat sweets very often, so I had never gone in. This time, however, we notice there was a sign advertising breakfasts, so we decided to give it a try. The verdict, it's my new first choice for breakfasts. One reason is they give fresh-brewed coffee with the breakfast!

Here's the English breakfast (we forgot to take pictures when the food first came, so had already started eating):

The breakfasts were scrumptious and at 99 baht including fresh brewed coffee a great value. You don't get quite as much food as at Canterbury Tales, my old favorite, but the quality is higher and the fresh coffee just does it for me. They also gave us brown bread on request--you get one slice of brown or two of white, and we gladly went with the brown. We both found the breakfast filling, but they also have a big breakfast at 145 baht or somewhere thereabouts--probably double the eggs, bacon and sausage. In addition, water was provided for free and replenished often, to me a touch you don't see enough in restaurants in Pattaya.

It's run by a very friendly Thai couple who speak basically fluent English, having studied in Australia--I believe for their master's degrees. Every time I have been there, they have been there too, so it looks to me to be a labor of love. To paraphrase the venerable Jingthing, it's very rare to find a place in Pattaya that is so professionally run and so spot on with their food and prices. The formula seems to be working; they have customers whenever I pass by.

The place has a really nice feel to it--very comfortable and homey. The back room is quite attractive and seems to have internet. Later we went back to try the cakes and sweets, which were also very nice.

All in all, I'm quite excited to have found this place, and I intend to go there often. It's a welcome addition to Pattaya.

I got hooked on this bistro while waiting for my near daily massage appointments next door. It is a rare find with attentive servers, nice decor, and great food with proper presentation. The coffee is fantastic and reasonable for specially brewed coffees. Never had anything but great service and food.

I saw this place many times also, there is a similar place at the corner of the railway at the Soi Siam Country Club(Darkside),as said both places are nice but unfortunately I never saw a lot of customers there.

Should those places also sell alcoholic beverages maybe they should have more customers, it seems to me that there is a lack of nice places where you can have a drink,

most of the time one is obliged to go to a bar to have a beer.

Should those places also sell alcoholic beverages maybe they should have more customers, it seems to me that there is a lack of nice places where you can have a drink, most of the time one is obliged to go to a bar to have a beer.

I'm pretty sure they sell beer there--I can see some bottles on display in a picture I took. Do you even need a liquor license in Thailand?

Edited by Jimmyd

Although is an informative thread, judge a restaurant/bar/breakfast place is a subjective matter. And not only unfair for sponsor restaurant, but also for simple TV restaurant owner just don't post anything about them (It is easy to instruct a friend to review our own restaurant).

On the other hand I like to read the many reviews, sometimes funny, sometimes absolutist on the many restaurant all over the Thailand.

I think the best way, IMHO, is to limit the reviews in the special pinned sub-forums.

Most things posted in Thai Visa are subjective--it is the nature of a discussion forum, people give their opinions. I have no interest in the above restaurant other than as a customer. I have been a member here since 2004, more than six years. I wrote this review because I wanted to give my opinion about this restaurant to my fellow Thai Visa members, as they have done before for me.

In my opinion, censoring or segregating opinions posted in good faith by members in good standing will hurt rather than help advertisers. This is because Thai Visa will lose it's reputation as an open place for discussion and will simply be regarded as a large advertisement, something most members will have no interest in participating in. Just my two cents.

It wont be till late December, but I will give em a try! I don't drink coffee that hasn't been brewed on the spot...within a few minutes.

Shouldn't be hard to remember Bake 'n Brew on Soi Exzyte

I went to Bake 'n' Brew today because of the recommendations here. It is as good as everyone says. Lovely food, well presented, great servers, very clean. I had the 99 baht brekkie: 2 eggs (fried or scrambled), sausage, bacon, baked beans, mushrooms, 2 toast and marmalade. Plus you get the choice of tea, coffee (freshly brewed as the OP said) or orange juice. I chose the coffee, with an orange juice as an extra. The OJ was delicious, with plenty of pulp, but slightly expensive at 55 baht.

Overall, though, I would highly recommend this place, and no, I have no connection with it whatsoever, just a happy customer.

Edited by eyebee

I got hooked on this bistro while waiting for my near daily massage appointments next door. It is a rare find with attentive servers, nice decor, and great food with proper presentation. The coffee is fantastic and reasonable for specially brewed coffees. Never had anything but great service and food.

daily massage eh -----------------randy b2std

No Neilf let's not assume this place next door to the cafe is a happy ending place (many of them are on Soi Honey and Chayopoon). This is a legitimate massage place have real thai masseuses and do great foot, thai and oil massages. The ladies would be insulted if you suggested anything but a real massage, it is that kind of place. Many Thai men and women and long term farangs frequent this place - so you know it's good and they only charge 1-200 baht per hour. I consider it great therapy not relief of "randiness" as you imply. :lol:

Edited by gerry53

I went to Bake 'n' Brew today because of the recommendations here. It is as good as everyone says. Lovely food, well presented, great servers, very clean. I had the 99 baht brekkie: 2 eggs (fried or scrambled), sausage, bacon, baked beans, mushrooms, 2 toast and marmalade. Plus you get the choice of tea, coffee (freshly brewed as the OP said) or orange juice. I chose the coffee, with an orange juice as an extra. The OJ was delicious, with plenty of pulp, but slightly expensive at 55 baht.

Overall, though, I would highly recommend this place, and no, I have no connection with it whatsoever, just a happy customer.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always on the lookout for a good English breakfast, so I will be trying this place out this weekend and report back, with photos. Thanks. :thumbsup:

OK went for Brekkie today.

Nice place good food good value.

But still doesn't beat my long time favorite "Le Katai" Soi Lenkee.

Oh the 99B Brekkie only includes 1 egg Le Katai 2 and I think the scrambled egg at LK is better, maybe use more milk?

Sausage same same but different, both good.

Bacon BNB 1 LK 2 also LK better quality Bacon.

Beans same same.

Tomato grilled, must admit BNB wins on this one bigger and better quality.

Mushrooms again BNB win not included in LK 99B Brekkie, only in the larger 140B version.

Toast same same but different both 2 slices both good quality.

Drinks, cannot comment on the Coffee as I am a Tea drinker. LK wins as you get a pot, enough for 2 cups, you also get an Orange Juice BNB iced water, another LK win.

Service BNB no complaints, LK Food comes quickly and the staff are very attentive as soon as I have finished my plate it is taken away immediately, makes more room on the table for me to read my paper,( LK have the Daily Mail another Win) while I enjoy my second cup of Tea.

In my book Le Katai is still the best Brekkie value for money in all of Pajona.

They also have an extensive menu of other food and daily specials at 129B.

Never had a bad meal there.

Keep your Brekkie recommendations coming though as its always good to try new places, you never know there maybe somewhere out there in Pajona that can beat Le Kattai??

If you're a coffee drinker (or appreciate coffee at all), Bake 'n Brew is hands down winner *to me*. For 99 baht to have them fresh-grind beans for you is astonishing to me--usually a fresh-brewed cup of joe is 30 baht by itself--and that's at a reasonable place like Amazon, don't get me going about Starbucks and their rip-off prices.

I'll try Le Katai, though. Do they have air con?

By the way, this isn't a choice competition to me. I eat often enough (pretty much every day) that one good place isn't enough for me. :D

Edited by Jimmyd

If you're a coffee drinker (or appreciate coffee at all), Bake 'n Brew is hands down winner *to me*. For 99 baht to have them fresh-grind beans for you is astonishing to me--usually a fresh-brewed cup of joe is 30 baht by itself--and that's at a reasonable place like Amazon, don't get me going about Starbucks and their rip-off prices.

I'll try Le Katai, though. Do they have air con?

By the way, this isn't a choice competition to me. I eat often enough (pretty much every day) that one good place isn't enough for me. :D

Appreciate what you say re the coffee, they do have Coffee at Le Katai of coarse but doubt it is anything special.

Also there is no air at Le Katai, which suits me as I prefer to sit outside anyway.

Do give it a try though, its certainly a regular on my list.

• 5 weeks later...

I just wanted to add that when I posted the original review, I was under the impression that breakfast was the only food served. Since then I have returned several times (it really is a nice space), and have literally turned the page on the menu. They've got a lot of stuff, from salads to steaks and they have quite a bit of seafood too. My Thai friends (who you know are picky) have given it the seal of approval.

It seems to me there's a lot of good news lately in Pattaya on the food front. Be sure to support the good places so they don't disappear!

I just wanted to add that when I posted the original review, I was under the impression that breakfast was the only food served. Since then I have returned several times (it really is a nice space), and have literally turned the page on the menu. They've got a lot of stuff, from salads to steaks and they have quite a bit of seafood too. My Thai friends (who you know are picky) have given it the seal of approval.

It seems to me there's a lot of good news lately in Pattaya on the food front. Be sure to support the good places so they don't disappear!

I agree, the place is very good, but on the Thai food front they have a very stiff competition right next door from a well-run eatery which seems to advertise very effectively with a blackboard and coloured chalk-sticks. In fact I did start a thread on this place a year ago

Soi Xzyte Cafe