Sore Achilles Tendons.

mommysboy

As my fitness is increased I ran more and more, play more football, and started to develop really sore achilles heel (I think) . It's mainly on my kicking foot, but also on the left ankle too. It's more on the outside of the ankle, just behind the ankle 'nugget' running 3 inches upwards. My right calf feels tight too.. I layed off for a couple of weeks but after 2 vigorous sessions it came back. Oddly enough, it's worse 2 days after training.

I think there's naff all I can do, save lay up for a couple of months, and restrict exercise to a swimming pool or bike.

But any other solution?

• Like 1

I know this sound crazy but massage peanut oil into sore area and apply heat from pad for at least 20 min. once or twice a day. The peanut oil helps with the inflamation you have to be consistant with the application. Also easy stretching warm up a bit first. Good luck.

Maybe you have the beginnings of Achilles Tendonitis. Does it feel like a hot knife is cutting you? I had those symptoms and the only cure was rest for a month or two. Just about everyday for a couple of months I would ice the tendon for about 20 minutes, then massage it for about 20 minutes. In the mornings when I awoke it was very painful to take those first steps.

I was very nervous about it rupturing as it happened to a colleague while playing soccer, then I met another guy who ruptured his while playing tennis. It is really a severe injury that you want to be careful with.

I found this site: Tendon And it has some suggestions. Good luck, but the number one road to recovery is rest, rest, rest.

TheWalkingMan

I'm not so sure about the peanut butter !!! Do you think the benefit is from the massage moe? I've always wondered how it is that topical drugs work on muscle injuries anyway? Take voltaren for instance, in itself a useful drug, but how does rubbing it on the skin provide any benefit at all? But I take Moe's point sometimes things just work.

WalkingMan. No sharp pain, just a cold, dull ache really. The most pronounced symptom is a stiffness of the heel and calf on getting up, and a general lameness a day or so after strenuous exercise.

Running up from the heel in a vertical line, the soreness is a small area about 2" from the top of the heel bone, about level with the ankle bone.

I'll do the ice press, massage, and elevate the leg when resting.

No footie for a while methinks.

No sharp pain, just a cold, dull ache really. The most pronounced symptom is a stiffness of the heel and calf on getting up, and a general lameness a day or so after strenuous exercise.

Running up from the heel in a vertical line, the soreness is a small area about 2" from the top of the heel bone, about level with the ankle bone.

This I am very familiar with and I am sorry to say that the only thing that will help, short and long term, is long and light stretching.

You must stretch the whole leg front and back, but focus on stretching the Achilles tendon.

PM me if you want specific stretching routines.

My achilles tendons started to bother me about four years ago, when I was 45. At first there was pain after playing tennis on the left leg, on a tendon near the top of the calf but after a while it spread to the AC and then to both ACs. Much stiffness and pain upon awakening. A couple years later I learned that I have very high arches and had been doing sports in Converse Allstars with zero arch support. Penny wise, pound foolish. So I bought insertable soles with plenty of arch support for about 75USD a pair. And I finally found a pair of sandals in LOS that gives me the arch support I need (The brand is Scholl). That kept the problem from getting worse but the pain was still there even though I had given up tennis and all running.

Then, about a month ago I completed a 12-day juice fast/feast, my first one since the AC trouble appeared. I am used to becoming much more flexible during and after a fast but to my surprise the AC pain disappeared completely as well. I've even started running for brief stretches while walking the dogs. Just a hint of pain and tightness have reappeared, but I'm guessing that my daily stretching and newfound (relative) flexibility are helping to keep it away. Don't know how long this will last but am very pleasantly surprised.

My achilles tendons started to bother me about four years ago, when I was 45. At first there was pain after playing tennis on the left leg, on a tendon near the top of the calf but after a while it spread to the AC and then to both ACs. Much stiffness and pain upon awakening. A couple years later I learned that I have very high arches and had been doing sports in Converse Allstars with zero arch support. Penny wise, pound foolish. So I bought insertable soles with plenty of arch support for about 75USD a pair. And I finally found a pair of sandals in LOS that gives me the arch support I need (The brand is Scholl). That kept the problem from getting worse but the pain was still there even though I had given up tennis and all running.

Then, about a month ago I completed a 12-day juice fast/feast, my first one since the AC trouble appeared. I am used to becoming much more flexible during and after a fast but to my surprise the AC pain disappeared completely as well. I've even started running for brief stretches while walking the dogs. Just a hint of pain and tightness have reappeared, but I'm guessing that my daily stretching and newfound (relative) flexibility are helping to keep it away. Don't know how long this will last but am very pleasantly surprised.

I too have high arches. And upon putting on a pair of shoes I got from UK, the problem seemed to disappear, so I'm wondering whether cr&p footwear out here is part of the problem, I think so, but don't know so. Scholl certainly has a great name.

I read and re-read your posting and didn't understand the reference about 'juice fast/feast', is this some form of orange juice diet and if so is this really part of your cure?

Much more likely the long term rehabilitation and decent footwear don't you think?.

Regarding my own problem, it's got much better and I'm walking freely. I think there are 2 problems, sore achilles and minor ankle ligament damage. The stretch exercises, a hot foot bath, and swimming seem to be telling factors for me.

Thank you to all posters (and of course Mod) for some great info.

I'm not so sure about the peanut butter !!! Do you think the benefit is from the massage moe? I've always wondered how it is that topical drugs work on muscle injuries anyway? Take voltaren for instance, in itself a useful drug, but how does rubbing it on the skin provide any benefit at all? But I take Moe's point sometimes things just work.

WalkingMan. No sharp pain, just a cold, dull ache really. The most pronounced symptom is a stiffness of the heel and calf on getting up, and a general lameness a day or so after strenuous exercise.

As I said peanut oil, and heat. Try it you have nothing to lose but pain.

A little trick with regard to thew topical anti-inflammatories (Voltaren etc): first soak your feet (or other affected area) in the hottest water you can stand, do it until the area is really red. Dry off and immediately rub in the ointment or gel while the skin is still nice and red. At that point the local blood vessels are dilated near the surface and you will get much more local absorption.

I too have high arches. And upon putting on a pair of shoes I got from UK, the problem seemed to disappear, so I'm wondering whether cr&p footwear out here is part of the problem, I think so, but don't know so. Scholl certainly has a great name.

I read and re-read your posting and didn't understand the reference about 'juice fast/feast', is this some form of orange juice diet and if so is this really part of your cure?

Much more likely the long term rehabilitation and decent footwear don't you think?.

Regarding my own problem, it's got much better and I'm walking freely. I think there are 2 problems, sore achilles and minor ankle ligament damage. The stretch exercises, a hot foot bath, and swimming seem to be telling factors for me.

Thank you to all posters (and of course Mod) for some great info.

I bought the Scholl sandals over a year ago and wear them nearly every day, except when I wear the shoes with the special insoles which I bought three years ago. As I said above, the new footwear seemed to keep the my leg tendons from getting worse, but they were still painful, no doubt because I let the problem get bad before dealing with it. Then I did the juice fast, during which all leg tendon pain (including the ACs) went away, and it is still 90% better than it was before the juice fast. A can't say why this happened for me but am certain that this result is attributable to the juicing.

A juice fast consists of ingesting nothing but the juice extracted from fresh veggies and fruit. I made and drank juice four times a day. I've started copying others online and calling it a feast instead of a fast because it sounds more appealing and is probably a more accurate term. There's lots of info online about juicing. I used a Somson 9001 juice extractor, available here in Chiang Mai for 13,800 baht. Hope this helps.

Just a hint of pain and tightness have reappeared, but I'm guessing that my daily stretching and newfound (relative) flexibility are helping to keep it away. Don't know how long this will last but am very pleasantly surprised.

Also, before you start your pre-exercise stretching, hit the spots that get sore with hot Tiger balm.

I actually use the Tiger Balm casts, they are a little bit of a pain in the ass setting up, but once applied work wonders.

Good work to Somnambulist to try the fast. Indeed cleansing and fasting really does improve body posture as intestines get cleaned out which are often the cause of various tight parts like the hamstrings. A protruding stomach tends to tip the pelvis forward which puts the hamstrings and calf muscles in the improper position and makes them tighter.

There are also arch and foot exercises which help keep the foot from flattening and causing all sorts of related muscle imbalances.

Using arch supports like orthotics is a two edged sword. On the one hand they position the foot in a neutral alignment but at the same time they cause the foot muscles to weaken because they are not being asked to support the arch.

The most basic arch exercise is to flex the foot in a windshield wiper fashion toward the centerline of the body. Can be done standing or sitting with feet flat on the ground. One should really feel the muscles in the arch and medial (closer to body centerline) of the underside of foot.

There are more advanced exercises that can be googled online. Try "arch exercises" "flat feet" and will find plenty of good examples.

Good work to Somnambulist to try the fast. Indeed cleansing and fasting really does improve body posture as intestines get cleaned out which are often the cause of various tight parts like the hamstrings. A protruding stomach tends to tip the pelvis forward which puts the hamstrings and calf muscles in the improper position and makes them tighter.

There are also arch and foot exercises which help keep the foot from flattening and causing all sorts of related muscle imbalances.

Using arch supports like orthotics is a two edged sword. On the one hand they position the foot in a neutral alignment but at the same time they cause the foot muscles to weaken because they are not being asked to support the arch.

The most basic arch exercise is to flex the foot in a windshield wiper fashion toward the centerline of the body. Can be done standing or sitting with feet flat on the ground. One should really feel the muscles in the arch and medial (closer to body centerline) of the underside of foot.

There are more advanced exercises that can be googled online. Try "arch exercises" "flat feet" and will find plenty of good examples.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post. I do have gut issues so that could be a factor in my leg troubles. Didn't know that. Will look up those exercises. Isn't the Internet a wonderful thing!

Turmeric, ginger and garlic - A friend of mine just told me these are very effective anti-inflamitants so I've been reading up on them. It appears they did double duty during my fast (I juiced all three regularly), removing my asthma symptoms and tendon pain as well. I'd assumed that my asthma came back because I stopped fasting and started eating again but perhaps it's because I stopped juicing those three anti-inflamitants. More likely it's a combination of the two. Last night, I woke up as usual four hours after going to bed short of breath and instead of using my inhaler (Seretide) I juiced some carrot, spinach, turmeric and ginger. Then I went back to bed and after lying there for some time was able to get back to sleep, so it worked, although not as dramatically as my inhaler. Well, I'd better shut up now because I don't want to hijack the thread.

Grumpy - Thanks for the tip. What's a Tiger Balm cast?

Edited by Somnambulist

Grumpy - Thanks for the tip. What's a Tiger Balm cast?

They come in a cellophane packet, and it's a large Tiger Balm sheet that you stick onto the cast, and then apply it and it stays on. Notice the cellophane on the balm sheet, I've boneheaded it before and forgotten to remove that.

As I mentioned the sticky sheet sometimes is a pain in the ass because if in taking the tape off you accidentally get it all sticking together it gets f**cked up.

Theye in ar all the pharmacies, directions are clearly explained on the back.

P.S. they come in two different sizes and I get the smaller ones for my calves (being part of my leg not the animals).

Edited by grumpyoldman

It's more on the outside of the ankle, just behind the ankle 'nugget' running 3 inches upwards. My right calf feels tight too.. I layed off for a couple of weeks but after 2 vigorous sessions it came back.

But any other solution?

The area you are describing is where the tendons of you peroneus longus & brevis run down your ankle and insert into the bottom of your foot. (picture)

If it is indeed these tendons which are causing you trouble, treatment depends on the extent of the damage. If it's normal, non-chronic inflammation, full recovery generally takes up to 6 weeks. Just remember: "RICE" (Rest, Ice, Compress, and Elevate).

It's more on the outside of the ankle, just behind the ankle 'nugget' running 3 inches upwards. My right calf feels tight too.. I layed off for a couple of weeks but after 2 vigorous sessions it came back.

But any other solution?

The area you are describing is where the tendons of you peroneus longus & brevis run down your ankle and insert into the bottom of your foot. (picture)

If it is indeed these tendons which are causing you trouble, treatment depends on the extent of the damage. If it's normal, non-chronic inflammation, full recovery generally takes up to 6 weeks. Just remember: "RICE" (Rest, Ice, Compress, and Elevate).

Thanks to all, what bountiful advice there has been on this thread.

It's gradually getting better, my word what a long time it seems to take, and my guess is that I'll be using a lot of these remedies and treatments when I start playing football again.

I think I'll rest up a few more weeks yet, and give up much of the treadmill work, in favour of swimming and cycling machine. I daren't stress it too much yet.

But any other solution?

Thanks to all, what bountiful advice there has been on this thread.

It's gradually getting better, my word what a long time it seems to take, and my guess is that I'll be using a lot of these remedies and treatments when I start playing football again.

I think I'll rest up a few more weeks yet, and give up much of the treadmill work, in favour of swimming and cycling machine. I daren't stress it too much yet.

Right before I developed my AC problem, I'd been cycling halfway up Doi Suthep three times a week and had taken to walking the nine flights up to my apartment three or four times a day for extra exercise. I was told (not by a doctor)that these two activities can cause AC trouble. Might be worth looking into before you start cyclying too much. I hope I'm wrong.

I assumed it was old age, or gout, or arthritis or something.

Anyway, its still there, and it hasn't got any worse, and I've got older, so ...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 4 weeks later...

The problem seems to be resolving itself gradually. I've been implementing pretty much all that's been mentioned. I played football under match conditions for a couple of hours this afternoon, and although my achilles is a bit sore I'm not limping anymore. I'm pretty sure cutting out the treadmill, and running in good footwear are the answers for me, and some special sock I bought offered obvious relief.