Buying A New Honda Jazz Or Similar

hello,

i want to buy a car and i think have decided to buy new because of wanting finance possibly and free insurance etc.

the second hand prices are very high and doubtful i will be able to find a good buy.

i'm based in chiang mai and i'm having no luck in getting any discount .

some people have said that cars can be brought in bangkok cheaper ?

we went to chiang rai and the dealer there was offering 10,000 baht off but that's hardly anything ?

can anyone give any advice to me please i have never brought a new car,

i can goto bkk if i'm going to get a saving but maybe there's not much point ?

price in chiang mai :

jazz S A/T 597,000

V A/T 630,000

i could buy a manual but i'm thinking may have trouble selling it ? also could be harder to drive in the city ?

we have just had a baby and i think jazz is good choice for us even if we have another, jazz should still be fine.

does anyone have a newish jazz and can send some advice also ?

i have read some reviews and i think the vtec engine is fine but i'm not sure about the i-shift - although that maybe an optional extra ?

i'm not sure of much yet because i'm just going to start looking asap.

also can anyone advise on a driving licence - i have a u.k one but maybe it's for Euro only ? i'm also on a tourist visa so maybe i can't get a thai one yet ? - i'm due to change visas shortly.

kind regards,

chris

According to the Honda website, there's only two Honda dealerships in Chiangmai (though one has 2 showrooms)

http://www.honda.co.th/en/dealer_network/inside.php?DealerId=97

http://www.honda.co.th/en/dealer_network/inside.php?DealerId=27

So that means not a lot of competition..

Still, you'll normally find that the good deals don't start coming out until you make it known there's competition, so decide on the exact car you want (down to the color and additional accessories), then go visit the dealer you haven't yet been to and tell them precisely what you're after Approaching it this way lets them know you've already been shopping (without having to get too forthright and potentially risking any face), and will normally lead into more fruitful negotiations.

Another good strategy is to get the GF on the phone to dealers in adjacent towns either (i.e. Lampang, Phrae, Chiang Rai) - often times these smaller dealers are keen to do good deals, especially if it means taking a sale from a city dealership..

Hi

When we decided to buy a new car last year ( we also are in Chiang Mai ), we settled for a top blue Jazz, but it would have taken 2 to 3 months waiting. Eventually , after many phone calls and inquiries, we found one available in Bangkok ( orderd by a client who was denied the loan ) where we had to go to fetch it.No discount, and the usual bundle of freebees . We are super happy with the car, just what we need. The paddle shift is very nice .

May I add that we first dealed with Poy Luang dealership, but we since have changed to the Mae Rim road one ( in front of Nakornping hospital ), where the service is better.

For your license, it might be better with a business visa, but I think it is possible to get one on a tourist visa, you have to check at the office on Hang Dong road. Once you have all documents, it is fairly easy and quick .

Good luck.

Phil

Edited by pilou

hi,<br>thanks for advice,<br>what are the freebies  ? things like mats etc ?<br>gf phoned one this morning and there's a car in chiang mai so were going to have a look this afternoon.<br>i'm still not 100% positive - i have never taken out finance before and a bit worried , i think that it may have to go in gf's name ? - i suspect that if i want to pay the finance off one day i'll have to pay all the interest also ? <br>what happens about the ownership of the car does the finance company own a percentage ?<br>can we sell the car during the finance term ?<br>i think that because we're putting down 20% or maybe more then we don't need a gaurantor ?<br>there's a possibility thet a family member can gaurantor for us which maybe better ? does that mean that the finance company don't own the car ?<br>the interest on the finance on first exam. looks like approx. 3% but i don't think that's the apr ? because they don't take into account the money you pay back then maybe the apr is closer to 4 or 5 % ? - i need to work out the figures - i can borrow money from the u.k at 2.5% so maybe better to do that than 4 - 5 % on finance ?  swings and roundabouts i guess<br>regards,<br>chris<br>

I got the most expensive jazz with paddle shift and i must say it is much more fun to drive then putting it on auto. But you can do that so there are dual options. The power difference is noticeable between paddle shift and auto.

The lower price models only offers manual and no air bags. The upper levels no choice auto / air bags. If you want air bags and the manuals trans well then you are out of luck.

High end models have a form of manual.. paddle shift.

hi,<br>thanks for advice,<br>what are the freebies  ? things like mats etc ?<br>gf phoned one this morning and there's a car in chiang mai so were going to have a look this afternoon.<br>i'm still not 100% positive - i have never taken out finance before and a bit worried , i think that it may have to go in gf's name ? - i suspect that if i want to pay the finance off one day i'll have to pay all the interest also ? <br>what happens about the ownership of the car does the finance company own a percentage ?<br>can we sell the car during the finance term ?<br>i think that because we're putting down 20% or maybe more then we don't need a gaurantor ?<br>there's a possibility thet a family member can gaurantor for us which maybe better ? does that mean that the finance company don't own the car ?<br>the interest on the finance on first exam. looks like approx. 3% but i don't think that's the apr ? because they don't take into account the money you pay back then maybe the apr is closer to 4 or 5 % ? - i need to work out the figures - i can borrow money from the u.k at 2.5% so maybe better to do that than 4 - 5 % on finance ?  swings and roundabouts i guess<br>regards,<br>chris<br>

Phew, that's a long list of questions;)

what are the freebies?

One, some or all of these normally: 1st class (aka comprehensive) insurance, tabien rot (aka road tax/rego), weather shields, floor mats, door sill garnishes, window tint, license plate frames, chrome exhaust tips, reversing sensors.

i think that it may have to go in gf's name ?

Not necessarily - it can go in your name if you can pay cash, or qualify for the finance (i.e. you have a Work Permit or income they'll accept, and an appropriate visa). Failing that, yes it'll need to be a Thai national.

i suspect that if i want to pay the finance off one day i'll have to pay all the interest also?

Interest is pre-calculated for the finance term, but you'll get a 50% discount on the remaining interest if paying it out early.

i think that because we're putting down 20% or maybe more then we don't need a gaurantor ?

Your GF will need a very well established credit rating in order to get finance on 20% down without a guarantor. If she doesn't you'll need 25% to 50% down, depending on finance company.

there's a possibility thet a family member can gaurantor for us which maybe better ?

It'll no doubt be easier to get approved for the finance, but said guarantor would need an appropriate income to be useful.

does that mean that the finance company don't own the car ?

No. In all cases, the finance company holds the "blue book" until the finance is fully repaid.

what happens about the ownership of the car does the finance company own a percentage ?

They effectively have a lein on the entire car until fully paid.

can we sell the car during the finance term ?

Yes you can, but the finance company will need to be involved, as they will need to issue the new owner with the "blue book"

the interest on the finance on first exam. looks like approx. 3% but i don't think that's the apr ?

Vehicle finance in Thailand is always calculated using flat-rate, never APR. 3% is at the higher end of the scale BTW - most are around the mid-high 2% range, and some manufacturers are offering as low as 1.69% ATM. Whatever the case, the rate varies on loan term and downpayment paid (shorter term = cheaper, more down = cheaper), and the first rate you get offered is always the worst, so don't be afraid to negotiate it.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

hi,<br>just got back and yes pretty much exactly what you said - they are adding some extras etc . but have to pay full price.<br>maybe i can put in my name also on a tourist visa if can get a residence certificate and gaurantor - have to put down 50%.<br>i still have to pay for insurance which i assumed would be free so i'm not sure wheather to phone around or not ? gf isn't keen to phone around she doesn't seem to think they will talk about price over the telephone.<br><br>

hi,<br>just got back and yes pretty much exactly what you said - they are adding some extras etc . but have to pay full price.<br>maybe i can put in my name also on a tourist visa if can get a residence certificate and gaurantor - have to put down 50%.<br>i still have to pay for insurance which i assumed would be free so i'm not sure wheather to phone around or not ? gf isn't keen to phone around she doesn't seem to think they will talk about price over the telephone.<br><br>

I bought a jazz and did not get insurance either. So it might be normal.

"No. In all cases, the finance company holds the "blue book" until the finance is fully repaid."

I thought that was changed many years ago, and now they are supposed to give it to the purchaser.

We have the book, and I still make payments for a few more months.

everytime i see a farang driving a jazz i figure that his gf wanted and it and he went along with it. i just can't believe a heterosexual male would willing decide that he wanted to drive that vehicle.

OK, take this challenge then..

You have an asolute maximum budget of USD $20,000 to buy a car in Thailand (a fair amount of money no matter how you look at it). Let's call it 650,000 THB. You don't have any friends that are master mechanics and you've been here long enough to know all about double-pricing (but not long enough to avoid it) so you're looking for something with at least 1-year of manufacturer warranty remaining. You also feel that for $20,000 you ought to be able to expect to buy a car in perfect condition and working order.

What do you buy?

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I got the most expensive jazz with paddle shift and i must say it is much more fun to drive then putting it on auto. But you can do that so there are dual options. The power difference is noticeable between paddle shift and auto.

Sorry, but what power difference are you referring to? Surely the only difference is that you initiate the gear shift, rather than the 'car' doing it. Possibly you change at higher revs, but most autos will stay in-gear longer if you floor it, or it's in sport mode right??

everytime i see a farang driving a jazz i figure that his gf wanted and it and he went along with it. i just can't believe a heterosexual male would willing decide that he wanted to drive that vehicle.

OK, take this challenge then..

You have an asolute maximum budget of USD $20,000 to buy a car in Thailand (a fair amount of money no matter how you look at it). Let's call it 650,000 THB. You don't have any friends that are master mechanics and you've been here long enough to know all about double-pricing (but not long enough to avoid it) so you're looking for something with at least 1-year of manufacturer warranty remaining. You also feel that for $20,000 you ought to be able to expect to buy a car in perfect condition and working order.

What do you buy?

city/vios/anything that doesn't look like the back window should be fitted with hello kitty stickers.

I think I saw you in your Jazz yesterday, TransAm. Very cute The Little Mermaid doll in the back window I might add.

:D :D

I have a City and are very happy with it, it's a no nonsense car but still transport in good comfort my family +500 clicks each way up to my wifes village and back.

Why people are buying a pick-up truck unless you have a farm or construction company is beyond me.

Ill bite too, we bought the jazz because it was a hatchback. That was what was needed for the dogs. A city or a vios just would not do even though they would look more manly. (according to chunky)

But maybe chunky is the kind of guy who sees a car as an enlargement of his penis and needs it because he is so small and in masculine.

I just drive the car that was in my price range and does what it has to do. I don't need a car to make me look more like a man.

*note.. if the wife ever puts any of those hello kitty things there i would personally kill her and use the jazz to dump her body :D *

Edited by robblok

Sorry, but what power difference are you referring to? Surely the only difference is that you initiate the gear shift, rather than the 'car' doing it. Possibly you change at higher revs, but most autos will stay in-gear longer if you floor it, or it's in sport mode right??

Yes you can build up more revs, its quite noticeable in the jazz. Normally the jazz does not rev up much but when you use this you shift and stay in gear a lot longer. But i am sure that it also shifts down or up automatically (at least that is what i think because sometimes the car is in a gear i did not remember myself putting it in)

Its called "S" mode so it might be sports mode

Edited by robblok

Ah yes, we've had that topic before to argue about, but food for thought, when your up country with your wee car full of family and you get a broadside from a truck (up country 99% are trucks), what is the outcome.

That is why l have a truck and with the lack of common sense driving up here l expect that broadside every day.:unsure:

Do you really think you are better off sitting in a pick-up truck than my wee City if getting broadsided by a truck????? I think the outcome will be the same.

If you want something really safe buy something with 10 or so airbags, or better stay in the house and watch TV.

Ah yes, we've had that topic before to argue about, but food for thought, when your up country with your wee car full of family and you get a broadside from a truck (up country 99% are trucks), what is the outcome.

That is why l have a truck and with the lack of common sense driving up here l expect that broadside every day.:unsure:

Do you really think you are better off sitting in a pick-up truck than my wee City if getting broadsided by a truck????? I think the outcome will be the same.

If you want something really safe buy something with 10 or so airbags, or better stay in the house and watch TV.

I think he meant that if you are broadsided by a pickup the city will be in a lot of trouble but pickup on pickup is not as bad. At least this is the way i read it.

So you mean something along these lines? ;)

Pick-ups are not as safe as people think but I am sure transam knows that.

Mostly true, but it depends on what angle you look at it from...

If you're talking about outright crash performance, most pickup brands actually do very well (except Chev/Isuzu) - in fact better than some "big" cars in some cases (e.g. a Hilux performs better in the frontal-offset test than a Camry Hybrid does). Of course you could also argue that a pickup has poorer handling/stability than a smaller passenger car so is therefore more susceptible to having a crash in the first place.. Swings and roundabouts :)

However, as soon as you start talking about multi-vehicle crashes, pickups and SUV's will always win - they have crumple zones designed to keep occupants safe with the inertia of 2000KG's, whereas something like a Jazz/City/Yaris/Vios has crumple zones designed for the inertia of just 1000KG. When the two meet, the small car doesn't stand a chance.

If you're talking about broadside accidents it's even worse - a high-riding pickup/SUV will impact a small car above the side intrustion beams, compromising it totally. However a small car broadsiding a pickup/SUV impacts around the floor panel / chassis rails, so presents much less danger to the pickup's occupants - so little in fact the side-crash tests aren't even necessary for high-riding vehicles under the Euro NCAP tests..

In any case, it's one of those discussions that can go on-and-on - there's legitmate pro's and con's to be argued for both sides. However, IMHO the most important factor is the balance of pickups to cars on Thai roads. In other countries you might only have a 3 to 10% chance of having an accident with a pickup, but here in Thailand your chances are closer to 50% (national average) or as high 80% or more in some provinces..If you factor in that pickups have poorer handling and stibility than passenger cars, these %'s get even worse.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Mostly true, but it depends on what angle you look at it from...

If you're talking about outright crash performance, most pickup brands actually do very well (except Chev/Isuzu) - in fact better than some "big" cars in some cases (e.g. a Hilux performs better in the frontal-offset test than a Camry Hybrid does). Of course you could also argue that a pickup has poorer handling/stability than a smaller passenger car so is therefore more susceptible to having a crash in the first place.. Swings and roundabouts :)

However, as soon as you start talking about multi-vehicle crashes, pickups and SUV's will always win - they have crumple zones designed to keep occupants safe with the inertia of 2000KG's, whereas something like a Jazz/City/Yaris/Vios has crumple zones designed for the inertia of just 1000KG. When the two meet, the small car doesn't stand a chance.

If you're talking about broadside accidents it's even worse - a high-riding pickup/SUV will impact a small car above the side intrustion beams, compromising it totally. However a small car broadsiding a pickup/SUV impacts around the floor panel / chassis rails, so presents much less danger to the pickup's occupants - so little in fact the side-crash tests aren't even necessary for high-riding vehicles under the Euro NCAP tests..

In any case, it's one of those discussions that can go on-and-on - there's legitmate pro's and con's to be argued for both sides. However, IMHO the most important factor is the balance of pickups to cars on Thai roads. In other countries you might only have a 3 to 10% chance of having an accident with a pickup, but here in Thailand your chances are closer to 50% (national average) or as high 80% or more in some provinces..If you factor in that pickups have poorer handling and stibility than passenger cars, these %'s get even worse.

It sounds like you know what you are talking about. I don't have any particular knowledge on the subject, so I rest my case.

It is however sad that when I will change my City in app. 3 years time that I will have to buy a tractor like the Pajero (they call it Sport I believe??) or the ever present Fortuner. I have hoped I could buy a descent sedan and fell that my family is safe in the car, but you got me thinking for sure, thanks.

It sounds like you know what you are talking about. I don't have any particular knowledge on the subject, so I rest my case.

It was never my intention to "steamroll" roll you (or anyone else) - my apologies if I come across that way.

There's a long held, common belief that commercial vehicles have sub-standard safety features, and in the past it was very true. Times have changed though, and it's easy to miss the advances that have been made unless someone points them out..

Just for the record, here's some videos that demonstrate what I was referring to with the Toyota Hilux and Camry Hybrid:

It is however sad that when I will change my City in app. 3 years time that I will have to buy a tractor like the Pajero (they call it Sport I believe??) or the ever present Fortuner. I have hoped I could buy a descent sedan and fell that my family is safe in the car, but you got me thinking for sure, thanks.

While I've never owned a City, I have test driven them numerous times and have owned both Vios and Yaris, so I'm very familiar with the cars.

While diesel SUV's always do sound a bit tractor-ish (can't disagree with that ;)), if you ever get the opportunity to test drive one of them you might just be pleasantly surprised - they're nowhere near as noisy inside as you might imagine, the ride quality bests smaller B-Segment cars quite easily (so long as the dealer uses the correct recommended tire pressures that is - beware that most don't). And while they use more diesel on a KM/L basis than a B-segment car, the actual cost per KM is only about 5% to 10% more than a small car. They're also pretty hard to beat for practicality, and so long as you get a shortened one (i.e. Fortuner or Pajero Sport), they have a reasonable turning circle and are fine for driving/parking in tight spaces.

I appreciate they all start feeling a little "me too", and in some areas of Thailand are very easily stigmatized - I have to admit it took me several years to shake-off my own personal prejudices with them.

In any case, in another 3 years time there's going to be a whole swathe of new vehicles to choose from - pretty much everything on the market now will be replaced with a new generation of designs and technology by 2014, so no need to think too much about it all yet :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

MRO, I don't think you steamrolled me at all but only put the facts on the table which is fine by me. This is why this forum is so good, as adults can have a civilized (mostly, he-he) discussing about many subjects.

These SUV's are properly not as bad as I think they are, just see how many are on the road here in LOS, so yes properly very practical for everyday use.

MRO, I don't think you steamrolled me at all but only put the facts on the table which is fine by me. This is why this forum is so good, as adults can have a civilized (mostly, he-he) discussing about many subjects.

These SUV's are properly not as bad as I think they are, just see how many are on the road here in LOS, so yes properly very practical for everyday use.

Upcountry yes practical.. but in the city they are not that practical at all. They are just too big or handle not good. Bad turning circles, hard to park.

I am sure they are great in a crash, but day to day driving.. id say they would be bad compared to a normal care in the same price class.