Would You Like An Official Immigration Id Card?

Can you provide a source that says you have to carry passport (other than some person saying so?). The requirement is photo ID AFAIK.

Believe this could be part of the extension of stay process as they take your fingerprints/photo produce an ID card for the same time period. Very simple and almost no additional cost to produce.

meaning i can carry my country ID card and my country driving license (valid for driving in Thailand) when traveling around Thailand and leave the passport at home? And this won't have any problems if the police or immigration stop me?

That's cool lopburi3, thanks for the info

You do need to be able to produce a passport if an immigration police officer asks for it so if you travel out of immediate area I would highly advise having it with you. But in town there should not be any need.

You are quite right that you do need to produce your passport when asked to do so by Immigration Police or other Police Officers checking you are in the LOS legally..Be a lot easier if Immigration did issue a yearly form of ID form which is renewed when your 1 year extention of stay is granted. As with my previous post it is under consideration by Interior Ministry

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know many expats have driver's licenses.

I personally don't know any expat who don't have the Thai Driver License. Every expat consider it's "the easier way" for us to prove our ID in Thailand. But I can understand that some expat don't have or don't want (?) this license.

I am not fan of "yet another card"... <_<

Seriously, how many cards and papers of all kinds do you have to take with you when you travel inside Thailand ? Way too many already... :(

I you think to make a "foreigner card", please make it the smart way :

A new card yes, but if it's a chip card containing (nearly) everything :

- ID : name, photo, country, passport number, ...

- Address in Thailand

- Immigration situation : Type of visa, Expiration date of stay, Office, ...

- Driver License : available for motobike, available for cars, date for renew, ...

- Health Insurance : company, id, ...

- Urgency contact : phone & address of family or friend and/or of Embassy, ...

It would be "The" card, the one you show to anyone asking for an ID.