The Worst And Most Obnoxious Tourists

zzaa09

I'm sure this lovely subject matter has been done and subsequently discussed lively....it's been a while, let's update. The nastiest and most negatively consistent traveller and resident alike. Long-term, short-term, passing through, wannabe, etc. Your favourite candidates.....:)

Edited by Maestro
Removed reference to "national character"
  • Like 1

I can tolerate a great deal of negativity if that is how people feel. The most annoying thing for me is the constant use of the F word, and I don't mean Farang. The F word is increasingly used as if people are too lazy or too ignorant to think of an alternative discriptive word. I am disappointed that the F word is used so frequently in every day conversation, it does not enhance my opinion of the user.

Worst for me is the failed bar owner who returned home penniless and now returns to the scene of the disaster to relive and catch up with all his old friends.....only he had none to start with hence his demise!....sad but true.

The worst, the french by far, rude, pushy, think that the thai's have to cow tow to them. second worst the brits, third worst, the japanese. they come to thailand and hang around each other in jap only bars! the same way they do in their own country! (try to go into a jap bar intokyo) the best, the aussies, friendly, outgoing, fun loving and mannerly, say good morning to strangers, most shy, the swiss, most opininated, the americans, have something to say about any subject, no matter if they understand it or not. the chinese fit somewhere in the middle,

• Like 1

I can tolerate a great deal of negativity if that is how people feel. The most annoying thing for me is the constant use of the F word, and I don't mean Farang. The F word is increasingly used as if people are too lazy or too ignorant to think of an alternative discriptive word. I am disappointed that the F word is used so frequently in every day conversation, it does not enhance my opinion of the user.

I'm with you on that one.

It is an embarassment to the British that our vocabulary appears so pitifully limited, that we have to use the same word over and over, with no entymological benefit whatsoever.

If only when drinking they would mumble, like they do in school...

SC

For me, it would be those who use sweeping generalisations about so called national characteristics. The French, The Thais, The Brits, The Japs, The Aussies etc.

Seconded

So which nation generalises most?

SC

Dunno, but if this goes the way it appears to be going its going to be closed. Light hearted fun sure, but nasty generalizations sure to inflame will earn warnings and merit closure of the thread.

Dunno, but if this goes the way it appears to be going its going to be closed. Light hearted fun sure, but nasty generalizations sure to inflame will earn warnings and merit closure of the thread.

I thought posts about moderation were banned....

You'll be getting yourself into trouble at this rate...

SC

:P You'd be surprised, SC. Or maybe not -you've been a member here long enough! :D

I wish I could get away with calling someone a member.

Still, I suppose it would be thievery to take offense where none was offered

SC

I can't think of one generalization about anyone. I've met good and bad from all nationalities. I take everyone on a one on one basis. Some people you naturally get along with and others you have nothing in common at all. I don't like boorish people anywhere and I really dislike people who disrespect the locals. I've seen many foreigners make some of the bar girls cry, but those idiots don't seem to come from any one nationality. They are just idiots to start off with. However, I do believe you run into more of those idiots in areas where prostitution is prevalent. It also happens where people tend to drink more alcohol than they should.

I can't think of one generalization about anyone. ...

Surely you can, Ian - you're not trying hard enough.

But I suppose no-one here is setting a good example, except some people complaining about the <deleted> Brits, though the <deleted> Americans are just as bad.

I find Canadians can tend to be infuriatingly mild-mannered and easy-going, but it would be a challenge to find that particularly obnoxious. Neutral, in a far less offensive manner than the Swiss...

More outrageous generalisations and offiensive charicatures to follow, I hope...

...It also happens where people tend to drink more alcohol than they should

I trust you are not suggesting discussion of moderation. This thread is apparently on thin ice already, and you, of all people, should know that treading on thin ice can get you in hot water (maybe I've been too long in the tropics...)

SC

Israeli backpackers are the worst...

I like to get out into the country side, and that often means staying in budget accommodation where nothing else is available... obnoxious, penny pinching, thieves...

Don't know if the general Israeli population to know if this is just limited to the packpacker age group...

I like to get out into the country side, and that often means staying in budget accommodation where nothing else is available... obnoxious, penny pinching, thieves...

Don't know if the general Israeli population to know if this is just limited to the packpacker age group...

I had some fun with an Israeli tank commander in Amsterdam a few years ago.....now if I'd said a British tank commander would have to post in another forum.....:whistling:

These sweeping nationalistic generalisations are just ridiculous.....but groups of stag parties I have an aversion to......no probs with a hen hight though ladies...! :D

I had some fun with an Israeli tank commander in Amsterdam a few years ago.....now if I'd said a British tank commander would have to post in another forum.....:whistling:

These sweeping nationalistic generalisations are just ridiculous.....but groups of stag parties I have an aversion to......no probs with a hen hight though ladies...! :D

Could add a thing or two, but really scared of taking sides.

It is true that sweeping generalizations are not entirely true, because of individuals differences. But on the other hand a passport or formal 'nationality' does carry some semblance for groups. Even Immigration authorities of any nation seem to recognise this fact.

So, let us indulge in same. I do not claim that my observations are true, or without exceptions, but:

'Israeli backpackers' - this is new to me... I find all backpackers penny pinching and thieving, otherwise they would be more 'Ritzy'.

'Japanese' are just that,- japanese. Can't expect anything else in this group behavior. After all they are the unique nation in terms of national 'purity' (over 96% japanese are japanese). They may be considered as the anti-diversity ideal with conformity strain.

'Australians', different as they are, do have one thing in common,- relaxed, lay-back, goodnatured attitude

to each other and the rest of the world. Being the opposite to 'Japanese' in terms of multiculture. Pity they overdo this sometimes by being somewhat 'boorish'.

'Americans'. Ah, those Americans! The nation of extreems. Verry eloquent, when educated, alas, rarely so! In my humble opinion, allowing for individual differences, most Americans have two unbearable traits. They know exactly what is 'good' and 'bad' ( In most cases their 'right' and 'wrong' are off the mark). And they are so preoccupied with 'making a buck', they almost pray to it. No wonder they put their trust in God onto their dollar!

'French'. Personally, I like them. A better educated lot, compared to other tourist groups. More finesse, more sophystication. Unfortunately, unless you speak french, you find them very distant. As if they begrudge the rest of the world for not accepting their Napoleonic Code cum language. Love France!

'Russians' that we see as tourists are not a pretty sight. But remember, they are the 'nuove rich'. And as such they do not represent the nation. Not even the best of it.

I hope I didn't offend any group. These are my personal feelings, not to be taken without a big pinch of salt. Not to be applied to any individual. Life wouldn't be the same without you:) .

Applying to all nationalties is the expat/traveller that has been around to long and can no longer afford to or have any option to move on,They normally have a negative aspect as they scrape together money everyday living hand to mouth.

Some are genuine cases with reasons or just badluck that has put them there,Most however simply spend there last bit of income on partying or girls and now its everyone fault but there own they are stuck.

I have lost count how many times I have heard , buy me a beer/dinner/ferry ticket etc as Im travelling and cant afford it like you ! Standard answer is poor you having a 4 month holiday I cant afford that to start with ...

Obnoxious? I can see how they can come off that way as the Israeli culture fosters an attitude that the entire world except a few places like the USA are against them. There is some truth to their perception, witness the thinly veiled antisemitic post I am responding to. They tend to want to hang out with their fellow nationals, something not unique to Israelis. Penny pinching? No pennies in Thailand. Long stay backpackers of any nationality are often on a tight budget. They are usually on their post-military service break. This group is given some money by their government after mandatory military service, and these trips are a way to burn off stress and have the time of their lives. They want to make it last a long time, the money they get isn't so large that they can do this without being thrifty. Thieves? What are you talking about? I have heard of tourists being arrested for stealing a hotel towel. If most of the Israeli backpackers are stealing things here, why don't we hear about massive arrests? I seriously doubt this charge.

Edited by Jingthing

Obnoxious? I can see how they can come off that way as the Israeli culture fosters an attitude that the entire world except a few places like the USA are against them. There is some truth to their perception, witness the thinly veiled antisemitic post I am responding to. They tend to want to hang out with their fellow nationals, something not unique to Israelis. Penny pinching? No pennies in Thailand. Long stay backpackers of any nationality are often on a tight budget. They are usually on their post-military service break. This group is given some money by their government after mandatory military service, and these trips are a way to burn off stress and have the time of their lives. They want to make it last a long time, the money they get isn't so large that they can do this without being thrifty. Thieves? What are you talking about? I have heard of tourists being arrested for stealing a hotel towel. If most of the Israeli backpackers are stealing things here, why don't we hear about massive arrests? I seriously doubt this charge.

Sounding a lot like an Israel apologist, JT. Which is ok, I guess......a subjective comment regarding Israeli tourist-types. They've long had a unsavoury reputation as cold, gruff, and diminished character. As a rule, they don't play well with others. This is not only my feelings, but common indifferent observations from many.

There seems to be more of the ibiza crowd,very noisy,many always asking where to get some GEAR from.Always trying to get free sex with the bar girls,because they think they are hansum.More and more coming onto forums and getting jealous about retired guys,who can live here for the rest of thei lives

I have removed the reference to "national character" in the OP and would like to bring the following forum rule to the attention of the participants in the discussion of this topic:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Therefore, please feel free do discuss what type of behaviour by tourists offends you, but refrain from making assumptions or generalisations about the nationality and/or religious belief of these tourists.

Thank you all.

OK, here's a tourist behavior I find distasteful.

On Pattaya baht buses certain family type tourists (supposedly desirable) sometimes point, laugh, and snigger at Thai transgender people. While I do get that they find the sight of entertainment value and don't see that kind of thing much at home, there is no need to be so rude and inconsiderate of people's feelings. They treat them like circus acts not human beings.

I have removed the reference to "national character" in the OP and would like to bring the following forum rule to the attention of the participants in the discussion of this topic:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Therefore, please feel free do discuss what type of behaviour by tourists offends you, but refrain from making assumptions or generalisations about the nationality and/or religious belief of these tourists.

Thank you all.

To be honest, I thought that this thread was a model of constructive analysis, with virtually nothing that could be construed as offensive. There was a little educated debate about the impact of National Service on Israeli tourists, and an attempt to divert that into part of the Jewish Jihad (sorry, I don't know their word for a Holy War) but up till this post, no one else had risen to the bait. I don't think people were making assumptions about race, religion or nationality; they were drawing correlations based on experience.

So much for restraining ourselves and discussing topics in an educated manner...

One of the behaviours that I find most repulsive of any tourist, regardless of race, nationality or religion, is stumbling drunkenly in a kilt singing"The Sash My Father Wore..."

SC

whilst they're not obnoxious i would say backpackers are the most annoying..especially the older 'vetern' ones who are even more crusty and hippy like...

i was sitting outside a guesthouse in centre of Hua Hin last week and 2 crusties came up checking room prices.. They were offered a fan room for 350 baht but refused as the were looking for something less than 200 baht....LOL.. must have been reading a 10 year old lonely planet !!! love to know where they ended up !!

Way better class of tourist in Hua Hin... mostly well dressed, middle class Europeans... no shirtless, tattooed idiots or walking dead crinkly old perverts...