Where To Open A Bank Account?

nikkoid66

I'm under a non-ED (student non immigrant visa) and I stay in Thai for at least 1 year.

I would like to have a local bank account, it would ease the rent and bill payments.

BUT, all the banks I go ask for a work permit, and I don't have.

Is there a place where they create bank accounts and give an ATM card to Foreigners. Anyone got some positive experience, so I could follow his path?

:rolleyes:

Edited by nikkoid66

Have you tried Bangkok Bank? they are not demanding much in way of work permit and so on. They are not the best around, few branches in Pattaya so often filled with expat customers. Also heard of people having money going "missing" from their accounts.

I have accounts in the above bank and Siam Commercial Bank, and Siam Comm. Bank is by far the best.

I just opened an account and got the ATM card with Kasikorn Bank.

Just bring my passport and my address in Pattaya, and in 20 min I got everything.

They do internet banking and I can choose my ATM pin too...

Very happy by my choice! Thanks for the advices!!!:clap2:

I find Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) has the best network of ATM machines, there is one outside most supermarkets, 7/11 and many other places. All banks will give you an account without a work permit, you've probably tried small branches that never dealt with foreigners before and don't know the rules. Try to find a bank in a tourist area. Would suggest one in a mall, they tend to be open late and weekends as well which is often convenient.

Some farang friendly banks:

KTB: Pattaya Tai

Kasikorn Bank: Pattaya Tai

TMB: New Central Shopping Centre

Siam Commercial: Jomtien half way down Beach Road

Bangkok Bank: Forget all Pattaya Branches

Bank Ayudhaya: Villa Market Complex

Pattaya Most unfriendly farang bank: Siam Commercial next to Walking Street.

Why do the rules the banks follow differ from Branch to Branch in this country.

Kasikorn Bank is my bank, only because my salary goes there. I would never suggest someone use this mob, but then I hear they are all the same.

It seems they do all they can to stifle business, and make it difficult.

^Bangkok Bank wanted to see my work permit when I opened an account with them, main branch Pattaya.

I can't imagine why. I've over the years opened accounts with Bangkok Bank, Thai Farmers (Kasikorn), SBC (several branches), NEVER had to show a work permit.

If you're going to open a bankaccount, the question probably will be: "Do you have some proof of address, e.g. utility bill, business card of landlord/home/condo/hotel or a work permit?"

If you show them either of the above, it doesn't mean that that's what they ask for; they just ask for a proof of address.

If they start asking for a visa or any other document, then the employee is too busy and is not in the mood of opening a bankaccount.

^Bangkok Bank wanted to see my work permit when I opened an account with them, main branch Pattaya.

I can't imagine why. I've over the years opened accounts with Bangkok Bank, Thai Farmers (Kasikorn), SBC (several branches), NEVER had to show a work permit.

I have heard of people being asked for their work permit if they are looking to open an account which gives a proper credit card, ie: not the visa electron type but proper individually named visa or mastercard.

If you're going to open a bankaccount, the question probably will be: "Do you have some proof of address, e.g. utility bill, business card of landlord/home/condo/hotel or a work permit?"

If you show them either of the above, it doesn't mean that that's what they ask for; they just ask for a proof of address.

If they start asking for a visa or any other document, then the employee is too busy and is not in the mood of opening a bankaccount.

No, the question was definitely "Do you have a Work Permit, you can't open an account without a WP" at TMB, BB and SCB.

They're not interested in proof of address as they never send you any letters and I could have provided utility bills and chanotes with the address on but they were only interested in a WP.

Edit: and I wasn't interested in a credit card either, I have ordinary savings accounts.

Edited by PattayaParent

When I checked last year, a work permit was not required at Bangkok Bank or Siam Commercial Bank, but you needed a long stay Visa (with over 90 days remaining). However Bangkok Bank would allow you to open an account with just a Tourist Visa provided you had a certificate of residence from the Thai Immigration.

Kasikorn is definitely the easiest bank to open an account with minimal requirements. My friend was able to open an account with less than 3 days remaining on a Tourist Visa. They also have a lot of branches and ATM's throughout the Pattaya/Jomtien area.

Of course there are exceptions, depending on the bank, branch, manager, staff, and amount of deposit. It helps to have a knowledgeable Thai make inquiries.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would first ask here. I need to get a checking account in order to receive some direct deposits from the U.S. I don't intend to write any checks, I just need to provide a voided check to the depositor. I already have savings accounts with ATM cards from SCB, Kasikorn and KTB in Pattaya. Kasikorn even offered me a credit card, based on having a WP for two years which I declined. So, does anybody have info on farang checking accounts from Thai banks?

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would first ask here. I need to get a checking account in order to receive some direct deposits from the U.S. I don't intend to write any checks, I just need to provide a voided check to the depositor. I already have savings accounts with ATM cards from SCB, Kasikorn and KTB in Pattaya. Kasikorn even offered me a credit card, based on having a WP for two years which I declined. So, does anybody have info on farang checking accounts from Thai banks?

I think you might be a little confused. Thailand doesn't use the ACH (Automated Clearing House) system as used in the US for direct deposit, which is what I think you are use to. But there is a way through Bangkok Bank's New York Branch to receive ACH direct deposits. The reason your depositor is asking for a 'voided' check is to get the ACH routing information. The verification of the ACH routing is slightly different. You don't need a checking account.

Goto this link for more information.

This is the method the US Government uses to send 'Direct Deposit' payments to Americans residing in Thailand.

I think SCB and Kasikorn offer similar ACH methods, but I haven't seen it clearly documented. You would have to ask the main offices in Bangkok as most branches will look at you with a dumb stare.

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

Thailand doesn't use the ACH (Automated Clearing House) system as used in the US for direct deposit, which is what I think you are use to. But there is a way through Bangkok Bank's New York Branch to receive ACH direct deposits. The reason your depositor is asking for a 'voided' check is to get the ACH routing information. The verification of the ACH routing is slightly different. You don't need a checking account.

This is the method the US Government uses to send 'Direct Deposit' payments to Americans residing in Thailand.

I think SCB and Kasikorn offer similar ACH methods, but I haven't seen it clearly documented. You would have to ask the main offices in Bangkok as most branches will look at you with a dumb stare.

OK, thanks for the useful info. I knew one day I would have to set up an account with Bangkok Bank in order to collect social security. So, do I have to do this in Bangkok, or can I go to a Pattaya branch?

Thailand doesn't use the ACH (Automated Clearing House) system as used in the US for direct deposit, which is what I think you are use to. But there is a way through Bangkok Bank's New York Branch to receive ACH direct deposits. The reason your depositor is asking for a 'voided' check is to get the ACH routing information. The verification of the ACH routing is slightly different. You don't need a checking account.

OK, thanks for the useful info. I knew one day I would have to set up an account with Bangkok Bank in order to collect social security. So, do I have to do this in Bangkok, or can I go to a Pattaya branch?

Either.

However, an account for Social Security is slightly different. A social security direct deposit account cannot be used with an ATM or on-line banking services. You must make withdrawals or transfers in person and a manager also has to authorize the transaction. The reason is, social security is paid in advance. The US Government wants to make sure they can get their money back when you die.

But for other 'direct deposits' from the US, you can open just a standard savings account which you can use an ATM and/or on-line banking services. The ACH direct deposits work with any Bangkok Bank savings account.

You may go to any branch, but the BKK Bank on Second Road near Soi 6 seems to be more knowledgeable about the retirement account.

When you set the account up, be sure you sign up for their SMS service so they will notify you when deposits are received.

Also, be advised you may withdraw the funds at any BKK Bank in Thailand but you must present your passbook and passport.

I made a direct transfer from Bank of America in the USA to Katsikorn Bank, it took only 48h to be cleared!!!

Usually US -> Europe takes about 1 week.

The Thai Banking system has been improved over the past few years. Most International direct deposits into Thailand now usually takes 48 hours or less. It's now becoming possible to use Thai ATM Debit Cards to make on-line purchases. Thai bank accounts can be now be linked to PayPal.

All this has happened since Thaksin was kicked out of office. Amazing Thailand!

Edited by BB1950